Author Topic: Official draft day thread  (Read 6219 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Official draft day thread
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2008, 12:03:39 PM »

Me I'm disappointed in Vickery.  Maybe a good potential player, but two knee recos?  Not worth the risk IMO.

Only one reco Moi and he has demonstrated that he has come back successfully and unhindered.  I have no problems at all picking him up at 8 - he was touted Top 4 - and he definitely adds to the overall structure of our list.

Moi

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2008, 12:05:28 PM »

Me I'm disappointed in Vickery.  Maybe a good potential player, but two knee recos?  Not worth the risk IMO.

Only one reco Moi and he has demonstrated that he has come back successfully and unhindered.  I have no problems at all picking him up at 8 - he was touted Top 4 - and he definitely adds to the overall structure of our list.
Yes, his bio sounds fantastic, I hope he will be okay.
I'm just a bit nervous that's all lol

Ramps

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2008, 12:13:11 PM »
For me this offseason in terms of player attainment has been a waste of time for Richmond. Thomson was reasonable for the price and Vickery was good, we didnt have alot ofpicks and then picked an overage kid from the TAC Cup who seems to be a CHB of which we have several and another recycled ... and we still have blokes like Pettifer and King on the list. Dear oh Dear ... this has been a poor offseason recruiting wise .  :banghead

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2008, 12:42:33 PM »
Hey Ramps, did you get a knockback last night?   ;D

Seriously though, I don't think we did badly at all.  We only had 4 picks, we didn't need a massive overhaul, we picked up 2 kids (1 of which was the best available at 8 and was touted as possible Top 4) who both fill a need or deficiency in our list structure and we picked up 2 ex-Top 10 hard at it midfielders (at the ripe old ages of 21 and 22) who might just have been round pegs in square holes at their previous clubs.  And by passing with the last pick I believe the club has been very smart in giving itself more time to look at options for the pre-season draft - any types that we were unsure of can now be invited to train with us and then more informed decisions made in mid-December.  A good call by the club.  I believe the football department is quite happy with where our list structure sits at the moment and we have filled gaps with very promising types - what we need now is some 'grooming' (tweaking and time) rather than continual large scale personnel changes.  Let our kids develop for another year and we are likely to have some tradebait (for a pleasant change) come next October that we can use to get a pick or 2 from the Gold Coast.  These can then be used to top our list up with quality kids and thats the most important thing for our current structure and direction.

Overall I give us a 6.5 to 7 out of 10 for today - we were never going to change the world with 4 picks.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2008, 12:57:58 PM »
For me this offseason in terms of player attainment has been a waste of time for Richmond. Thomson was reasonable for the price and Vickery was good, we didnt have alot ofpicks and then picked an overage kid from the TAC Cup who seems to be a CHB of which we have several and another recycled ... and we still have blokes like Pettifer and King on the list. Dear oh Dear ... this has been a poor offseason recruiting wise .  :banghead

how do you measure Post as an average player when he has taken 50 more marks than any other kid in the U18...never let the facts get in the way.. :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Ramps

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2008, 01:04:22 PM »
Post exhibits good run and can take a grab, but we already have a number of players who can play similar roles in key defensive posts. IMHO we didnt need another CHB we needed a key forward.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2008, 01:16:35 PM »
The full draft selections are now in the first post of this thread.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2008, 04:14:06 PM »
What a let down  :(. It started off brilliantly picking up Vickery and I'm going to give Post the benefit of the doubt as I'm happy we've gone tall to balance up our list but it all went downhill after that dreadfully. What makes it poor is we had already overpaid and traded away our 3rd round pick for a fringe recycled player who can't kick and as it turns out we missed out on Mitch Banner who was picked up at that pick  :scream. Now we go for another recycled player with our 4th round pick and there's still a chance we'll pick up Cockshell in the PSD. That's definitely 2 and possibly 3 recycled players from just 5 picks and just 2 kids from the last untampered draft  :banghead  :help.

Just looking at other clubs who unlike us rightly put their faith in the draft, Port killed it - Hartlett, Trengove, Broadbent, Banner and Jarrad Redden.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2008, 04:44:14 PM »
What a let down  :(. It started off brilliantly picking up Vickery and I'm going to give Post the benefit of the doubt as I'm happy we've gone tall to balance up our list but it all went downhill after that dreadfully. What makes it poor is we had already overpaid and traded away our 3rd round pick for a fringe recycled player who can't kick and as it turns out we missed out on Mitch Banner who was picked up at that pick  :scream. Now we go for another recycled player with our 4th round pick and there's still a chance we'll pick up Cockshell in the PSD. That's definitely 2 and possibly 3 recycled players from just 5 picks and just 2 kids from the last untampered draft  :banghead  :help.

Just looking at other clubs who unlike us rightly put their faith in the draft, Port killed it - Hartlett, Trengove, Broadbent, Banner and Jarrad Redden.

Id caution getting too carried away with glossy selections on draft day my friend, all cars look good as they drive out of the yard, however as we all know too well , only classics hold their value...I shouldn't need to remind of the fizzers like Meyer and JON to underline my point...Hislop has as much chance of realising his talents as any other two bit bum selected at 50+
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2008, 04:46:07 PM »
Good Points MT , PA will also pick up someone to replace Thompson - Carr. How come we cant get rid of our rejects.

Now I am a little less excited (hey Ramps) its not that bad, really great prospects with our first two- really good picks - love Vickery, feel it in my bones.Thank God the others didn't need a ruckman, but I suspect he will plat CHF like Buddy , Benny Gale etc
Thompson - not convinced, we have Cogs and Collins to come along
Hislop - same as above -got a long way to prove himself, sounds like a DH
MMM, WTF lets get Cuz as long as he has to pay for his own policing(like BuddY),rehab and testing with a zero level policy- you would owe us not the other way around - sack him with no bucks if he stuffs up policy. What do you reckon Sheeds , Ricky Cuz. You would need to teach our kids good things!

In the rockie draft our recruiters need to redeem themselves and pick some really good kids. Would suggest they go for bottom aged kids, please not to many more recycled as the just don't cut where the kids just keep coming good.

Am I awake or am I just having a bad dream

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2008, 10:59:40 PM »

In the rockie draft our recruiters need to redeem themselves and pick some really good kids. Would suggest they go for bottom aged kids, please not to many more recycled as the just don't cut where the kids just keep coming good.

Am I awake or am I just having a bad dream
Snoozing.  :D

As has been said before, bottom aged kids cannot be rookied. They have to be 18+ yo.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2008, 07:06:53 AM »
How the papers rated our draft choices:

Age - Emma Quayle

I’m surprised the Tigers only took the three picks. They’ll be very happy with Vickery and Post has some work to do on his kicking but is a marking machine and not afraid to run. Hislop has doubtless talent, but can he get himself on track? Not many delisted players become stars elsewhere, but he has every chance if he gets things together.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/the-2008-afl-draft-how-your-club-fared/2008/11/30/1227491911602.html

Herald-Sun

Wanted the tall Vickery and were thrilled to get their man with Pick 8. Post won the Western Jets best and fairest and will be given time. Hislop had off field issues at Essendon, but could be a real bonus. Will probably take another youngster in the pre-season draft.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24724933-19771,00.html

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
The draft was good for Richmond - not great. We were a few picks off picking up Trengrove - this would've been a massive bonanza for the club.

The Youtube clips of Post look promising, he may need to work on his kicking but I saw a guy prepared to kick on either foot which is a good start.

He is clearly a good mark - I hope his work ethic to get to enough contests enables him to leverage this talent at AFL level. It is an ethic sadly lacking in Jay Shultz.

Vickery, Vickery a winning find. He looks ready to play some part next year.

I don't get the Hislop call - Sheedy?

I don't get the no pick call - Cousins???? Sheedy????

Maybe Sheedy started a discussion at that lunch the other day that won't be resolved until after the draft.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2008, 10:10:08 PM »
Maybe Sheedy started a discussion at that lunch the other day that won't be resolved until after the draft.

What is the consensus on Sheedy he seems to be portrayed as either some all conquering football legend/guru or the undercurrent is that he is becoming a senile old man?

Whichever I hope he stays out of the football dept operations business as I don't believe he has an agenda there for his current role

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2008, 11:26:29 PM »
There always seemed to be some at Richmond who were Sheedy groupies lol when he was coaching Essendon. Sheeds was was great coach and spotter of talent in the past but the game has passed him by now in both departments. Essendon's list went backwards in his last 5 years there topping up and picking duds like Kepler Bradley and Johns. Anyway he's at Richmond to help us boost membership and publicise the club off-field. He thinks out there often lol so for all know the Cousins comments may have been a deliberate way to get Richmond in the paper because he knew a journo would be lurking at the THC dinner.

Id caution getting too carried away with glossy selections on draft day my friend, all cars look good as they drive out of the yard, however as we all know too well , only classics hold their value...I shouldn't need to remind of the fizzers like Meyer and JON to underline my point...Hislop has as much chance of realising his talents as any other two bit bum selected at 50+
Hislop does bj but to do so he needs to get his head right, quit the booze and do it quickly if he wants an AFL career.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd