Author Topic: Adam Thomson [merged]  (Read 12230 times)

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Adam Thomson likely to become a Tiger
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2008, 11:22:11 AM »
Is Adam Thomson Port's version of our Meyer.  Not in body types or player types, but a high draft pick that hasn't come good ...yet?

If Thomson is any good, why then did Williams not play him in a rebuilding year.

It's an unknown.

The Port board on BF were on the Thomson wagon and made his SANFL form sound more than adequate for a spot in the team, but seems to think like our own with Polo, Chocco wasnt a big fan of Thomson.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Con65

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2008, 11:26:55 AM »
I agree that you need someone to take the hits, block etc for our 'sillky mids' in Cotchin Foley and Lids.  But that someone can be Tuck, Cogs (if he makes it back) and Jackson who is big bodied enough.

What will happen is this kid will play games and then be maligned mercilessly due to his 'questionable' fot skills.  We don't need another mid turning it over by foot.  Unless you say this kid will be like diesel williams and will fire out bullet handballs and hardly kick the thing.

I havent seen him play but other reports say that his kicking is questionable as (a) he doesnt hit his targets and (b) his kicks lack penetration.  At 22 yo it is too young to be doing a Harvey and just kicking it 20 to 30 metres.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2008, 12:15:04 PM »
I still think a 3rd rounder is too much for a player that could just walk into the PSD

that may well be the case however we would be no chance of securing him, he adds another dimension to our midifeld that is a genuine gap right now ..that is size....Lids, Foley, Cotchin tucky , tambling...they're not big...we really need to address this to take the next step...I realise there's no guarantees with this kid, but there NEVER is with pick 42 :shh
Adds another dimension? I thought slow midfielders who can't kick were catered for on our list already.

100% correct.

im sick to death of recruiting players who cant effin kick.

big no to this dud

well considering you and jack are absolutely clueless, and have zero ( actually negative) football knowledge, you not wanting him is probably as good a reason as any to go all out to get him.

He is tough and an extraction machine, perfect age 21-22. Frees up, and provides a little protection for lids and cotch, sounds logical and cheap. Again don't expect you to get that because youre an idiot. Keep flaming though bud, its very predictably entertaining

Just went through his draft camp results.

Runs 20 metres in  3.01 seconds = above average

top 10 in agility tests

good endurance

big leap

thomson is elte by hand, and sound by foot, he is not duncan kellaway. He can kick, but his disposal efficiency is down, because when he gets the ball, he is usually in the middle of the pack under intense pressure. Pick 42 if it gets done is a bargain.

Thomson is now 22 and is a dime a dozen fringe midfielder. He's hardly going to get much better than he is now as a small. His draft camp athletic results as a 17 year old are irrelevant to whether he can kick or not. No way is he a sound kick. Fact is he handballs twice as much as he kicks which shows he's not confident by foot. Sure he kicks better than Duncan did but that's only because everyone does lol. A clearance player still needs to be able to kick well in general play especially as the game moves more and more towards footpassing through sophisticated zoning and more defensive pressure all over the ground. We have enough turnover merchants by foot as it is  ::).

Btw Thomson was 15th in average clearances at Port this year. Averaged just over 1 clearance (1.4) per game in his 7 matches. Sure he would have had limited game time but he's hardly a clearance machine. And please don't give me that stat from 2007 of his clearances per minute. At 22 you're either up to it or not and he's not especially for us to offload a decent pick for him :scream. I could accept a 4th round pick for him (basically getting him for nothing) but you don't give up a 3rd round pick in a strong deep draft for someone who was likely to be delisted anyway  :banghead.

Will Thomson be part of our next premiership side? No!

Will just 2 picks in the top 50 of a superdraft add more quality to our list compared to our competitors? No!

Good clubs seek more decent picks not less and place their (educated) faith in the draft. Enough of these temporary measures and wishfully thinking more experienced fringe players from other clubs will become stars once they slip on a Tiger guernsey  :help.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2008, 01:02:37 PM »
Thomson set to be announced a Tiger

RICHMOND is set to announce the first trade of trade week, sending its third-round draft pick to Port Adelaide in exchange for Adam Thomson.

The 22-year-old inside midfielder has spend the past four years at the Power, but has played just 28 games in that time, and only managed seven this year.

Richmond's general manager of football, Craig Cameron, said the deal was almost done, with pick 42 likely to be the price.

"It's progressed a fair way – I think it's just a matter of us sorting it out with Port Adelaide, which I don't think is going to be a sticking point," he said.

"Probably he'll be for our third-round pick."

Ruckmen are the big talking point of the week so far, with West Coast's Mark Seaby looking for more game time and Dean Laidley throwing Kangaroo Hamish McIntosh into the mix, but Cameron said the asking price was looking too high in the current environment.

"I think that the clubs are looking to see if they can get first-round picks for the ruckmen they're trying to trade, and we'd like to hang onto our first selection.

"I don't know if anything will loosen up as the week goes on, but I think it's going to be very difficult for them to move ruckmen for first-round picks.

"Everyone wants to go to this draft."
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68769
EAT EM ALIVE!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2008, 01:03:22 PM »
AFL site is saying deal to be announced soon and it will be the first

Thomson to the Tigers for Pick 42 (3rd round pick) :-\
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2008, 01:08:37 PM »
Are we trying to own the 2004 draft with Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Pattison, Polo, McGuane, Morton, Thursfield, Foley (rookie) & now Thomson (pick 11). 
In effect as Morton would have gone top 10 if not father-son we had Picks 1, 4,10, 11, 12, 16, 20 & Thursfield and McGuane.
Maybe we should get rid of Polo & Meyer just to even things out a little????

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2008, 01:11:57 PM »
Pick 42 is always going to be a 'speculator', even in a 'superdraft'.  He's young, was a top 10 draft pick (edit: sorry, 11 - thought he was a bit lower but no real difference), has good SANFL form, and can get the ball a bit.  Who knows why he didn't make it at Port - maybe he was no good or maybe he just had a personality clash with the coach/club - it happens all the time but either way we aren't risking too much with pick 42.  We can only hope that the club did enough research and homework on him to justify the decision to take him at all, whether it be with pick 1 or pick 100.  I don't have much of an opinion one way or the other at this pick - if we had used a 2nd round pick then I would have been very concerned.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2008, 01:18:04 PM »
I don't mind this one. He might turn out to be a "Brett Kirk" style player for us. A hard in and under who tackles well is pretty good for a 3rd rounder. I say well done CC!!  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2008, 01:31:32 PM »

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2008, 01:38:04 PM »
I still think a 3rd rounder is too much
Guess this club will never learn, we always seem to over pay for trades

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2008, 01:49:27 PM »
If he was a tiger with a record like that since 2004 people would be asking for him to be delisted.  :shh
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2008, 01:52:19 PM »
Article on Thomson about himself from July...

On the rise: Adam Thomson
By Katrina Gill
Thu 24 July, 2008

ADAM Thomson knows he’s not the magician holding the wand in Port Adelaide’s midfield, but he’s confident he can become a pretty handy assistant.

The hard-nosed 21-year-old struggled to break into the Power line up last year, as the team felt the need for speed, but demanded selection earlier this season with a string of stand-out performances for Sturt.

Thomson, who models his game on Hawthorn skipper Sam Mitchell, is a tough, in-and-under type-player, determined to take his SANFL dominance to the next level.

“I guess I’m not the quickest bloke in the AFL, but you try to play to your strengths and, for me, that’s definitely my ‘inside’ ability. I just try to get it out to the blokes like Danyle Pearce and Shaun Burgoyne, who do all the magic,” Thomson said with a laugh.

“At Sturt I played that in-and-under role from under 17s all the way through. It’s just how I started playing, I don’t know why, but I don’t really know any other way.”

Thomson has played 28 games in nearly four years with the Power, prompting a former teammate and media commentator to call for the shy lad from Murray Bridge to seek a trade out of Alberton.

But Thomson, who has dreamed of playing AFL footy since he was a boy, believes he’s good enough to cement a place in the Port Adelaide line up.

“There has been a fair bit in the press about me leaving and doing the same thing as Brad Symes [going to Adelaide], but I really enjoy it here at Port. I want to play here as long as I can and prove to the coaching staff and the players that I’m good enough to be a regular AFL player,” he said.

“I’m not a big personality, so I can’t really march up to Choco’s [Mark Williams’] office and demand to know [why I’m not in the side] or anything like that. I prefer to try and suss it out and I already know what I have to improve on.

“The past couple of years have been frustrating, but this is what I really want to do, so I have to take it one week at a time, as they say, and whether I’m playing with the Power or at Sturt, I just have to play as well as I can.”

Thomson has battled groin soreness, which the club feared was the early sign of osteitis pubis, this season, but with Port Adelaide committed to auditioning players for next year, he’s likely to receive more opportunities.

The prolific ball winner, who started his career with the Ramblers Football Club in Murray Bridge, has worked on several areas of his game with midfield coach Matthew Primus, including his disposal and offensive actions.

“I’ve played a bit of a different role this year, moving across half forward and trying to crumb a few goals,” he said.

“This year I’ve kicked more goals than any other year, which is another string to my bow, instead of just being able to play in the middle and, hopefully, it will hold me in good stead to stay in the [Port Adelaide] team this season.”

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/News/NewsArticle/TabId/6038/default.aspx?newsId=64031

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2008, 03:07:29 PM »
well done RFC for stuffin another draft up and trading picks away.

fuckheads
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2008, 04:17:03 PM »
well done RFC for effin another draft up and trading picks away.

effheads

Maybe, just maybe, this guy is better than the guys we might pick up at 42. Sure we could fluke a good one but the recuiters should know best. The draft is supsosed to be good but only those in the know would be able to judge it it good at pick 42. You never know, pick 42 might be just as speculative as pick 58 in this draft so what would be the difference. Another possiblity is we could have a kid thats gone under the radar in mind that we could get just as easy at 58. WE as supporters just dont know these things.

Mr Daniel, you dont have a crytal ball and neither do I (well one that tells the future anyway). So how about we let these guys do the job and then bash them if they are proven wrong. Its not the same guys doign the job this year so we cant give them greif over previous years.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2008, 04:22:10 PM »
well done RFC for effin another draft up and trading picks away.

effheads

i agree with you "daniel161" ... a waste of space, a lost opportunity for an 17/18 year old.

you draft 17/18 year olds and give them an opportunity, not players like Thomson who's manager said "his style didn't suit what Williams wanted." ... well hello ... you play were your told and its the AFL ... you should be as much versitle as possible. i'm very quick to judge, but i do not believe in giving an recycle player a second chance against an 17/18 year old who hasn't got an opportunity to show.