Author Topic: Captain  (Read 5356 times)

Ox

Re: Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 10:45:49 AM »
Richo should be the cap'n,if this club still stands for anything it used to.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
I don't think Lids is a natural leader. He is a quite introverted star but is not particularly vocal on or off the field. He is very focused on his game and not boasted the morale of his fellow teammates or directed them.

If you had to pick a natural leader - Kingy would be my first choice because he is tough, directs traffic and is outspoken but...he is lacking in terms of skillful on field performance. Riewoldt falls in almost the same category as Kingy but is performing slightly better on field. Cotch will definately tick all the boxes in the future but is still a long way off.

Richo for a year or two would be fantastic but you run the risk of him missing great slabs of the season if injury hits.

Newman is the most logical choice for the next couple of years at least.

Stripes

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 11:10:37 AM »
when do we think our new captain will be announced ?

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 11:54:39 AM »
Richo should be the cap'n,if this club still stands for anything it used to.

i want lids captain but if Richo gets the gig i would love that also.

No one deserves it more than him.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 01:31:14 PM »
Somehow I don't think we're going to have a new captain next year, Sugar will keep the 17

bushranger

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 02:10:08 PM »
I truely hope that you are wrong. We have the weakest leader in the AFL and for that matter the VFL to. He's a  :wallywink

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 03:28:22 PM »
Somehow I don't think we're going to have a new captain next year, Sugar will keep the 17

Not sure about that Infamy.  I reckon he has done a good job thus far and now as the kids are ready for the next step would be a good time to hand on to either of Newman or Foley.  Let Johnson keep doing his good work behind the scenes as he gets overtaken for a gameday position by the younger players.  I have a feeling that one more year might be one too many as Captain - to handover now would be a win win.  There will also be much less pressure on the match committee to keep picking him on form if he isn't Captain.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 03:51:58 PM »

Any captaincy announcement wont happen until the New Year.

Whether there is any change will greatly depend on the current captain and what he decides to do

Whether we like it or not the playing group hold Kane Johnson in the highest regard as a leader and as long as they respect him, play for him and want him in the job then that is what's important and should be the main factor in any decision. Their view is certainly more important than what the we as fans perceive or want.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 10:48:19 PM »
I truely hope that you are wrong. We have the weakest leader in the AFL and for that matter the VFL to. He's a  :wallywink

you see your a smart person and thats a very smart post.

people on here who are happy for Captain usless to remain head of the club obviously dont care about the RFC.

read my lips he is USELESS.

DONT SOME OF YOU WANT TO MOVE FORWARD AS A CLUB????

under this fool it aint gonna happen. he provides nothing. If he must be in the side then pinch hit him and maybe he might play better.
relive him of the captaincy and free him of the burden of being the worst Captain ever of the RFC.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 06:33:09 PM »
Adam Simpson has quit as captain after 5 years in the job and at 32 years of age. Simpson said he stepped down as captain because next year will be his final year of footy. He's two years older than Sugar who has been our captain for the past 4 years. Interesting to see if Johnno stays on as captain for one more year or if 2009 is his last year like it is for Simpson if he steps down and passes the captaincy onto Newy, Axel or someone else.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 07:10:20 PM »
Dwayne Russell on 3aw just now said Richmond needs to find a new captain as it's fairly known  ??? the club hasn't re-annointed Johnson as captain.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 08:36:41 PM »
Callers were saying Richo should get one year. Russell said one year wouldn't do any harm and it'd look good on the honour role.

Healy said he would give the captaincy to Newman. After being pushed for a reason by a Tigers fan who wanted Richo, Healy said he's seen Newman operate and believes the captaincy won't take away from his own game and form. Richo is 35 (sic) and at that age you need to focus on your own game.

They then got onto which out of Lids or Cotchin will end up our captain. Russell said Lids is obviously in front at this stage but who'll end up the better player. Healy said captaincy isn't about the best player but the best captain.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 07:43:54 AM »
Dwayne Russell on 3aw just now said Richmond needs to find a new captain as it's fairly known  ??? the club hasn't re-annointed Johnson as captain.

Annointed? isnt that what a priest does to a person on their death bed? His not the greatest captain we've evr seen but......

bushranger

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 07:47:43 AM »
I really hope that he doesn't (Kane) get reappointed as our captain.
But as it has been sad before we ain't at the coal face to know what is going on.
So we have to abide by the desicion they make and support it 100%.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 12:24:46 PM »
I have given this a lot of thought (apart from Spring Racing and Cricket, there is not much else to ponder right now).
I see everyones point of view on Kane Johnston.
I also see the view on Lids, Newman, Foley and even Cotchin.

With the exception of Newman (who IMO is not good enough to be captain, has not finished top 3 in our B&F in 8 years) it should be between the other 3.
So we need 1-2 years.
While it would be fantastic the see the number 12 run out with number 17 on his back, its romantic.

So its leave Johnston there for another year and let Foley and Lids battle it out or hope Cotchin explodes next year and puts his hand up (highly unlikely).

It may not be the popular choice but it is the most sensible. Newman as captain is no different to Johnston. He is not a good enough player to deliver on the "match winning" bursts of inspiration that we need from our next captain.

I reckon we sit tight for another year and let the young talent rise to the top of our leadership group naturally and then look forward to the best young crop of young talent in the AFL lead our side for the next 5-8 years.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”