Author Topic: Captain  (Read 5355 times)

Re: Captain
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2008, 05:18:29 PM »

Give it to the big lug.

:cheers

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Richo is and will remain so while playing a spritual leader of the team.  From a romantic point of view Richo as captain sounds ideal.  Realistically i dont think he is the right option, he did an excellent job last year after being freed from the forward line to run free, doing pretty much what he liked.  Giving him the captaincy would detract from that and i feel tie him down to much. I dont like the option of putting someone else in the role for a year just to dump sugar and fill a hole, unless he is retiring after next season and wants to play without the extra pressure.  If sugar has the support/loyalty of the team and coach he should hold onto it for the next year or two until either Axel,Lids or Cotch put their hand up and then lead for the next 5+ years. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »
They talked about the captaincy briefly on SEN before. They asked themselves if Lids should be Richmond captain and they thought for the next 2-3 years he should be allowed to play his own game as a gun.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2008, 08:19:12 PM »
I have given this a lot of thought (apart from Spring Racing and Cricket, there is not much else to ponder right now).
I see everyones point of view on Kane Johnston.
I also see the view on Lids, Newman, Foley and even Cotchin.

With the exception of Newman (who IMO is not good enough to be captain, has not finished top 3 in our B&F in 8 years) it should be between the other 3.
So we need 1-2 years.
While it would be fantastic the see the number 12 run out with number 17 on his back, its romantic.

So its leave Johnston there for another year and let Foley and Lids battle it out or hope Cotchin explodes next year and puts his hand up (highly unlikely).

It may not be the popular choice but it is the most sensible. Newman as captain is no different to Johnston. He is not a good enough player to deliver on the "match winning" bursts of inspiration that we need from our next captain.

I reckon we sit tight for another year and let the young talent rise to the top of our leadership group naturally and then look forward to the best young crop of young talent in the AFL lead our side for the next 5-8 years.

:clapping :clapping :clapping

Excellent post y&b

Whether people agree or not (I do btw) very well said  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2008, 09:08:15 PM »
They talked about the captaincy briefly on SEN before. They asked themselves if Lids should be Richmond captain and they thought for the next 2-3 years he should be allowed to play his own game as a gun.

I strongly believe that as well, he needs to develop and cement himself as an elite player before he can be considered as captaincy material.

He has great potential and could be one of the games best and I would hate to see his development in that regard hampered or derailed by the burdens of captaincy.

bushranger

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 07:15:03 AM »
The point that I agree with most is the one one most have said even if we disagree to it, Even if Kane has the support and loyaty at Richmond this is all that matters. And if he has it he should keep the job.
I don't like him as our captain I will say outright. But I agree with what has been said. So if this is what the team wants then I will follow suit to, much to my own dislike.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2008, 09:53:53 AM »

The thing about Kane is that while we had a young developing side from all accounts he is an excellent role model (except for that one little wee accident) and is actively involved in the young cubs development.

An alternative on field captain during Kane's term may not have focused as much on the developing young kids and while Kane still has value in this area and his on field game is sufficient to justify selection then I say fine let him captain.

However the time for an on field leader is soon.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2008, 07:03:02 PM »
I guess one question is do you keep Kane as captain in his final year of footy when there's no obvious successor to him OR make a change now to a Newy or Foley where the new captain will still have Sugar around as a mentor to learn off in terms of the role both on and off-field.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2008, 08:49:33 PM »
I guess one question is do you keep Kane as captain in his final year of footy when there's no obvious successor to him OR make a change now to a Newy or Foley where the new captain will still have Sugar around as a mentor to learn off in terms of the role both on and off-field.

Actually that is a good call MT, I'll pay that and convert to the second option.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2008, 09:13:12 PM »

Why put all your eggs in one basket when there is no clear choice for captain?

He can mentor the emerging leaders - which should be Foley, Newman and Deledio - and be captain. 
In cricket, how often does the test captain leave cricket the year after relinquishing the captaincy.
In fact, it is a relatively recent thing in AFL football where the captain plays on for a year or two after standing down.

It should only make sense when it makes sense to do so!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2008, 11:09:44 PM »

Id say the answer to that is two fold,
First if he is a good captain all players should be learning what it takes to be leader on and off field. Not just the future captain.
Second who ever is our next captain should get the job on their own merits and makes the job theirs, not just try and emulate their predecessor.

bushranger

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2008, 06:25:34 PM »
Well it shows I must of had a feeling that he was going to do it.
But I think if he plays on he will be a damm sight better as just a player than as a player/captain. :gotigers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2008, 04:21:03 PM »
Well it shows I must of had a feeling that he was going to do it.
But I think if he plays on he will be a damm sight better as just a player than as a player/captain. :gotigers
I reckon 2009 will be Sugar's final year as he's slowing down. Play him on a flank or even as a pinchhitter off the bench with spurts in the midfield. One thing he will no longer have to put up with is supporters expecting him as captain to be a matchwinner. 

bushranger

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »
I actually think his last half of the year was pretty good. And I think he knew he was going to give it up then and let his football do some of his talking.
So I to think 09 will be his last year and more than likely his best in the Yellow and Black.
Time will only answer that one.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2008, 10:54:11 PM »
I actually think his last half of the year was pretty good. And I think he knew he was going to give it up then and let his football do some of his talking.
So I to think 09 will be his last year and more than likely his best in the Yellow and Black.
Time will only answer that one.
Agree bushy his 2nd half of this year after coming back from injury was good. The rest seemed to help free him up in his movement. Moving out to a HFF rather than spending all the time in the midfield also helped him IMO. A more natural position in the twilight years of his career (he'll be 31 by the start of next season) and out there he doesn't hinder the development a young midfielder. Let's hope you're right bushy and he can go out with a finals series appearance.