Author Topic: U18 Championships 2008  (Read 23029 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: U18 Championships 2008
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2008, 12:57:41 PM »
UNDER-18 CHAMPIONSHIPS WRAP
Champion Data Newsletter Week 17

The Under-18 Championships are over and it’s now time to look at the whole carnival and who were the top performers from a DT point of view. Due to the disappointing fact that quarters lasted only 20 minutes throughout the entire
Championships, I have scaled the scores up so that they reflect what a player would have averaged in AFL length quarters which run for an average of 30 minutes.

Expect more of this information relating to TAC Cup, WAFL and SANFL towards the end of the season when I’ll update you on who is most likely to step up and be the Rhys Palmer of 2009.

Mitch Robinson – Tasmania (Actual avg. 85, Scaled 128): He won the most disposals of any player throughout the carnival and was named in the best for Tassie in the VFL on the weekend. If drafted by a club who struggles in 2009 he’s a certain high scorer. Could be a Heath Scotland of the future.

Jack Ziebell – Vic Country (76, 114): He missed the opening game but after that produced some super performances. I am a huge fan and am sure he’ll get drafted in the top 10. Will have an impact in 2009.

Mitchell Banner – Vic Metro (75, 113): His 124-point game in the Grand Final bumped him up but he is a proven prolific ball-winner. While he lacks height he knows how to find the ball and will get some games in 2009 if he goes to a struggling side. Loves to kick – great DT play.

Michael Walters – Western Australia (73, 110): He scores extremely high for a half-forward and could be a Cyril Rioli of 2009. Can play midfield and picked up 39 disposals and 143 DT points in an Under-16 Championship game in 2007.

Scott Reed – NSW/ACT (72, 107): He was a revelation in defence throughout the carnival, performing well in all games and showing plenty of improvement. He laid the second-most tackles of anyone and will be at Collingwood in 2009. We all know how good they are at developing youngsters so don’t be surprised to see him at AFL level.

Matt DeBoer – Western Australia (71, 107): He’s a proven ball-winning machine who is playing senior WAFL football for Claremont. He won the second-most disposals at the carnival (101).

Ranga Ediriwickrama – NSW/ACT (71, 106): He scored 100 and 108 in the opening two games but his average was screwed when he went off injured early in the third game. He’ll be a Geelong rookie in 2009 and if/when he gets his chance, he’s sure to score well.

David Zaharakis – Vic Metro (70, 105): A quick wingman who can win plenty of the ball, if he ends up at a club like West Coast he will relish running around on Subiaco.

Nicholas Naitanui – Western Australia (70, 105): Won a truckload of hitouts and laid the third-most tackles of anyone. He doesn’t take many marks and rarely kicks though, which greatly depreciates his DT potential. Let’s see if he can develop that side of his game before we consider him in 2009.

Tyrone Vickery – Vic Metro (69, 103): For a ruckman coming off a knee reconstruction, Vickery’s performances made everyone stand up and take notice. He’s a huge chance to go in the top five in the draft, however I think he’ll get limited AFL opportunities in 2009.

Steele Sidebottom – Vic Country (68, 102): Steele is a super talent who has enormous DT potential for 2009. He’s dominating in the TAC Cup so if he goes to the right club, snap him up early because he will score highly.

Daniel Rich – Western Australia (68, 102): Wasn’t as prolific as we thought yet still found plenty of the ball and scored well. He’ll have two seasons of senior WAFL football under his belt when he gets drafted so he’s still the likely best choice to produce Palmer-like numbers in 2009.

Luke Shuey – Vic Metro (68, 102): Another midfielder who has proven he can be a huge ball-winner. He topped 100 DT points in four of his 10 games in the TAC Cup last season and should see some senior AFL action in 2009.

Jack Watts – Vic Metro (67, 101): I think he’ll end up at Melbourne and if he does, he’ll play close to a full season in 2009 I would think. Expect Matthew Pavlich-like numbers for the future as he can play key forward and potentially midfield as well, but don’t expect too much in 2009 – the talls take a while.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2008, 10:05:58 PM »
Zaharakis is a very good young player. Definitely should have a look at him, if he falls to the third round (or even maybe the 2nd round) i'd snap him up without hesitation, though he could push as high as a late 1st rounder IMO. Did athletics with him a few years back and he is a jet, absolutely flew out of the blocks. Generally speaking has tidy kicking skills, though can spray a few. But the best thing about him is the way he loves to use his pace and take players on. Can be very damaging with low number disposals.

Also went to school with Luke Shuey. Good solid rover who knows how to find the ball. Probably would be looked at from after the 3rd round. Luke Stanton is another who may get drafted. 190cm, athletic and mobile, okish skills. Hasn't really put in strong performances over the last two years, but has tempting potential.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2008, 06:05:49 PM »
Zaharakis is a very good young player. Definitely should have a look at him, if he falls to the third round (or even maybe the 2nd round) i'd snap him up without hesitation, though he could push as high as a late 1st rounder IMO. Did athletics with him a few years back and he is a jet, absolutely flew out of the blocks. Generally speaking has tidy kicking skills, though can spray a few. But the best thing about him is the way he loves to use his pace and take players on. Can be very damaging with low number disposals.

Also went to school with Luke Shuey. Good solid rover who knows how to find the ball. Probably would be looked at from after the 3rd round. Luke Stanton is another who may get drafted. 190cm, athletic and mobile, okish skills. Hasn't really put in strong performances over the last two years, but has tempting potential.
Stanton is that in-between height but I was impressed with Zaharakis too bluey. Knows how to find and win the footy in traffic. Definitely someone to look at in the 2nd round if he's still around at our pick.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

The Cotch

« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2008, 05:52:55 PM »
I posted this on another thread but I really think we need 2 picks in the top 15 this year.

Newman + 2nd rounder for a 1st rounder would do it imo.

That way we can get Vickery and one of Ziebell/Johnston/McKernan.

Also trading Schulz and King for picks would be awesome.

I'd love to see us top up this draft.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2008, 06:41:09 PM »
I posted this on another thread but I really think we need 2 picks in the top 15 this year.

Newman + 2nd rounder for a 1st rounder would do it imo.

That way we can get Vickery and one of Ziebell/Johnston/McKernan.

Also trading Schulz and King for picks would be awesome.

I'd love to see us top up this draft.
I can't see us scoring another top 10 pick to score those kids you've mentioned though. Perhaps as you say Cotch upgrade a 2nd rounder into the teens but not top 10. Then again some had Rance in their top 10 and he fell to our pick 18 so you never know. The main thing for us is to keep our picks and try to trade for more early picks as you've suggested Cotch.

Going by reports Vickery was very impressive again today. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd