Author Topic: U18 Championships 2008  (Read 23105 times)

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
Re: U18 Championships 2008
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2008, 09:21:17 AM »
l think mckernan will be the most likely pick.
greg miller was involved with recruiting corey at the roos.
and he would have a good idea if shaun can be a good afl player.
theres alot of similarities between them.

Ramps

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2008, 09:44:05 AM »
As I stated a while back, McKernan has problems with the way he kicks the footy, unless he changes it he will be found out at AFL.

I wish him all the best, but if he doesnt change the way he kicks the footy Id prefer him NOT to be our first selection in November.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2008, 03:39:13 PM »
John Butchers dad by any chance didn't play 100 games for us did he....  :pray
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2008, 04:06:11 PM »
Watching the final of the under 18's. Really like the look of Vickery, 200cm 86kg from Sandringham/Haileybury college.  Played ruck/fwd/back.   Have to admit i havent really heard about him before but maybe thats a good thing and he fly's under the radar.  Anyone got ony more info on him?
Also Blease 183cm 72kg Eastern/Norwood. Had some real magic spurts maybe a little quiet at times though.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2008, 05:14:06 PM »
Watching the final of the under 18's. Really like the look of Vickery, 200cm 86kg from Sandringham/Haileybury college.  Played ruck/fwd/back.   Have to admit i havent really heard about him before but maybe thats a good thing and he fly's under the radar.  Anyone got ony more info on him?
Also Blease 183cm 72kg Eastern/Norwood. Had some real magic spurts maybe a little quiet at times though.

Blease trained with us earlier in the year.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »

Blease trained with us earlier in the year.

How did he go?

Ramps

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2008, 07:26:32 PM »
Blease didnt get alot of it, but when he had it he was good. He also has an extra gear when it comes to pace. He seemed to find abit extra when he was being chased down and on occasions gapped his opponent to deliver the footy pretty well. Based on today hes a 2nd rounder in this draft. Overall I am pretty disappointed with the quality of players.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2008, 08:09:43 PM »
SA smashes NSW/ACT in U18 opener
afl.com.au
By Matt Burgan
Wed 09 July, 2008

South Australia  6.3       12.6     13.9     20.12 (132)
NSW/ACT          1.0       2.0       7.2       8.4 (52)

GOALS
South Australia: Johnston 4, Tapscott 4, Hynes 3, Cahill 2, O'Keeffe 2, Davoren, Hall, Hartlett, Schoenmakers, Speight
NSW/ACT: Van Muers 3, Bryce 2, Gumley, McMahon, Spiteri

BEST
South Australia: Hartlett, Johnston, Tapscott, O'Keeffe, Hynes, Hall, Schoenmakers, Blesing, Redden, Stanley, Wilson
NSW/ACT: Duncan, Reed, Kirkwood, Klemke, Van Muers, Bryce

-----------------------------
SOUTH Australia has finished its 2008 NAB AFL under-18 championship on a high after smashing New South Wales/Australian Capital Territory by 80 points in the first of a triple-header at Telstra Dome on Wednesday.

The Croweaters defeated the Rams 20.12 (132) to 8.4 (52), to end their carnival with three wins from five matches.

NSW/ACT capped off a competitive carnival with a third-quarter fightback, after the team finished runner-up in the second division qualifying series to Tasmania. The side's win over Vic Country at Henson Park in June was one of the highlights of the championships.

Key South Australian forward Lewis Johnston was outstanding in front of goal, with four goals from seven scoring shots. His long kicking and contested marking was a feature of his play.

Luke Tapscott, who booted five goals against Vic Country last Saturday at Casey Fields, again impressed up forward with three goals in the first half before finishing with four majors. Damian Hynes also chipped in with three goals.

The highly ranked Hamish Hartlett, the younger brother of Carlton's Adam, also shone with a game-high 24 disposals, eight inside 50s and five rebounds. It was a commanding display from a player likely to be a top 10 draft selection.

Gun midfielder and Geelong hopeful Ranga Ediriwickrama didn't overcome a hamstring injury to play, although fellow scholarship holders Josh Duncan (Hawthorn) and Scott Reed (Collingwood) were prominent with 33 disposals between them.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=62960

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »
Agree Ramps, the touted first 3 picks in Rich,Naitanui and Watts didnt stand out as much as i thought they would with all the hype surrounding them although out of the three id have to give the points to Watts.
Naitanui for a under 200cm player seemed handy in the ruck but seems to get lost around general play and i could be wrong but didnt see him take a mark at all.  He did show some speed when he got his goal.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2008, 08:13:24 PM »
Vic Country steamrolls Tassie
afl.com.au
By Matt Burgan
Wed 09 July, 2008

Tasmania        2.3       4.3       6.3       6.4 (40)
Vic Country    4.3       7.4       14.6     22.6 (138)

GOALS
Tasmania: Cornelius 4, Mihocek, Symmons
Vic Country: Butcher 5, Hughes 3, McKenzie 3, Sheehan 3, Blair 2, Browne, Hooper, Jones, Martiniello, Rockliff, Young

BEST
Tasmania: Robinson, Cornelius, Allwright, Williams
Vic Country: Butcher, Sheehan, Sidebottom, McKenzie, Hooper, Suban, Heyne, Hughes, Jones

--------------------------------
VIC COUNTRY has bounced back from its loss against South Australia last Saturday to produce an emphatic 98-point victory over Tasmania, ending its 2008 NAB AFL under-18 championship campaign with two wins from five matches.

Country defeated Tassie 22.6 (138) to 6.4 (40) after piling on 15 goals to three in the second half.

Tasmania, which won the second division qualifying series, ends its first division campaign winless.

Vic Country had several standouts, with John Butcher booting five goals and Jamie Sheehan, Ryan McKenzie and Sam Hughes all contributing three majors each. Sheehan had a team-high 21 touches.

Impressive Country players Nick Suban (18 disposals), Steele Sidebottom (17 possessions) and Nick Heyne (16 touches and 10 inside 50s) were also among their side's best.

Mitch Robinson, who won the Hunter Harrison Medal as the best player in the second division, was Tasmania's best performer with 24 touches, eight inside 50s and five clearances.

The highly rated Aaron Cornelius, who was an All-Australian player at this level last year, also capped off his series with a fine four-goal performance. Youngster Maverick Weller, who is still eligible for the under 16s, showed some promise.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=62971

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2008, 08:16:12 PM »
Vic Metro takes out NAB AFL U18 crown
afl.com.au
By Matt Burgan
Wed 09 July, 2008

Vic Metro                   5.1       8.3       11.6     14.9 (93)
Western Australia     2.1       3.4       5.7       9.10 (64)

GOALS
Vic Metro: Vickery 3, Banner 2, Blease 2, McKernan 2, Watts 2, Zaharakis 2, Lynch
Western Australia: Yarran 3, Hill, Jetta, Klause, Lucas, Naitanui, Rich

BEST
Vic Metro: Vickery, Zaharakis, Banner, Blease, Hurley, Shuey, Scully, Gotch
Western Australia: Rich, Hill, Pearce, Walters, Jetta, Yarran, Naitanui

--------------------------------
VIC METRO has won this year's NAB AFL under-18 championships after holding off Western Australia by 29 points in the deciding match at Telstra Dome on Wednesday.

Metro defeated the Sandgropers 14.9 (93) to 9.10 (64) to regain the title the side last won in 2006, after WA won the carnival last year. The result capped off yet another outstanding series for Vic Metro, which has now won 13 titles since the state split into two teams in 1989. It was also coach David Dickson's eighth championship victory.

Tyrone Vickery, a 200cm tall, kicked three goals for Metro and was impressive up forward and in the ruck, while David Zaharakis, a player who was close to being drafted last year, had 18 disposals.

Jack Watts booted two goals against the Sandgropers and won the Larke Medal for the best division one player in the championships.

Vic Metro defender Michael Hurley was also excellent down back and he was duly rewarded with his side's most valuable player award.

One of this year's top draft prospects, Daniel Rich, was outstanding with 23 touches, while Clancee Pearce – who was Western Australia's most valuable player – was his side's leading ball-winner with 26 disposals. Chris Yarran also chipped in with three goals.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=62993

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »

Country defeated Tassie 22.6 (138) to 6.4 (40) after piling on 15 goals to three in the second half.

It was 7 goals to 6 in the 3rd quarter, then VC kicked the last 15 goals.  :o
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2008, 08:28:21 PM »
I went to the Dome today and watched the last half of the Vic Country v Tassie and all of the Vic Metro v WA. Not a bad day at the footy but unfortunately all 3 games were one sided especially the games involving the Division 2 states.

My thoughts on the draftees:

No Cotchin standout IMO but I'm more confident of us getting someone good with our first pick especially if we're after a tall. Not sure what they feed these kids these days but sheesh you forget how skinny U18's are.

Vic Metro vs WA

WA really lacked key forwards to kick to which forced them to go short and wide a lot. They relied more in Yarran, Jetta and spells from Naitanui as forward targets. Compare that to Vic Metro who had Watts, McKernan and Vickery when resting forward. So with that in mind:

Mitch Banner: Really liked his game. Was everwhere in the midfield, got heaps of it and used it well mostly and pushed forward to kick a coulple of goals. I had BOG today although the TV gave that to Watts.

Jack Watts: Hard to seem him lasting to our pick. Good in the air as well as ground level and can play high or low in the forward line. Not the outstanding game with just 2 goals (should have been 3) but clubs won't bypass him.

Luke Stanton: An outside type who got a fair bit of it along one wing in the first half that set up Vic Metro's victory. Not the type we need any more of.

Tom Lynch: Solid game and got better as the game went along. The only question mark over him is he is listed as 191cm so he's near that in-between height. I think he would need to settle in defence in the AFL.

Shaun McKernan: I think Watts is better at ground level but wouldn't be disappointed if we ended up with McKernan. A clone of his older brother Corey. Clean mark, kicked 2 goals up forward and played 2nd ruck. The best part of today was seeing him sprint 60m to forced a WA player into error that resulted in a shot on goal for Vic Metro. Started 25m behind and got within 5m.

Michael Hurley: Solid game as usual at FB. It looked as though WA were avoiding kicking to the forward he was on (started on Mitch Marsh who did nothing). Hurley then stood Nat in the second half and apart from giving one goal away never looked threatened. Hurley is ready made at 192cm, 92kgs so has the size over his peers.

David Zaharakis: Arguably not as silky smooth as others but knows how to get the footy in traffic and at stoppages and played a key role in the midfield for the first 3 quarters to set up Vic Metro's win. Pushed forward to kick a couple of goals too. A likely second round pick (pick in the 20s to mid 30s).

Taylor Hunt: Small defender but I would have in Vic Metro's bests today.

Sam Blease: Outside type/wingman. Lovely kick and runner with the ball  and kicked 2 (should have been 3). Given we already have enough of his type we'll probably pass on him.

Tyrone Vickery: Exploded out of the blocks and set up the Vic Metro lead and was solid from there. Not a Kreuzer type who can ruck rove another ruckman/forward type at 200cm. Kicked 3. Probably moved into the first round picks based on today even top 10.

Nick Naitanui: To be honest I was underwhelmed based on today. What he did stood out (especially the leap and tap in the ruck as we know) but there wasn't enough of it for mine for someone touted as #1 pick. Still will go early but he'll need work. A project type.

Daniel Rich: I can see why the Eagles want him as he was WA's best in the first half and he'll go top 3 but he drifted out of the game after half-time when they tagged him. To be fair I think he was just outnumbered by a stronger and deeper Vic Metro midfield.  

Chris Yarran: JON clone who played forward and has better skills. Pass!

Kane Lucas: Good first quarter but didn't see much of him after that.

Neville Jetta: Clone of Leroy at Essendon.

Michael Walters: Another small indigenous West Australian who got a fair bit of it today and would have been in WA's bests for mine. Played off a HBF and wing. Again not the type we need.

Vic Country vs Tassie

Less standouts in this game for mine and hard to judge when Vic Country smashed Tassie from halfway through the third. Vic Country kicked the last 15 goals to win by 98 points.

John Butcher: - main standout from the game but isn't eligible for this draft so one to look out for in the 2009 draft. Kicked 5 goals after half-time and like Watts and McKernan is very agile for a big guy (197cm).

Tom Rockliff: played as a small forward and was just too clever for the Tassie defenders. Good skills. Another 20-35 range pick.

Jordan Roughead and Andrew Browne: Both around the 200cm mark and just were too big for the Tassie boys in the ruck. Browne is already 202cm, 106kg  :o. I bumped into another Tiger supporter I know who occasionally goes to training wants Roughead but I've got a feeling that maybe because we didn't get Jarryd in the first place.

Jack Ziebell, Steele Sidebottom and Nick Suban: For all of Vic Country's dominance in the second half I didn't think any of the 3 stood out as anything special. Decent but not special. Ziebell was the best of the 3 IMO and got a fair bit of footy but I didn't see the awareness/footy brain I would expect from a touted top 10 pick in phantom drafts. He often just bombed the ball forward when he got it. To be fair I only saw the second half and not the full game so that's probably why my thoughts are different to the AFL site report which has Suban and Sidebottom in the bests.

Ryan McKenzie: He's only listed at 175cm, 73kg but he looked a solid boy in the flesh and regularly broke tackles. Played as a small forward and was one of Vic Country's best.

Jamie Sheahan: Another Country small who did well up forward and got a heap of it. Agree with the AFL site report that he was second BOG behind Butcher. Probably a 40+ pick.

Aaron Cornelius: The only Tassie kid who possibly won his position. He played FF and looked the only real option to goal for Tassie when it actually went forward in the second half. Two quick goals from two strong marks dragged Tassie within 2 goals of ViC Country in the 3rd quarter before the floodgates truly opened and Tassie was blown away. He took another two good marks in the 4th qtr but missed both shots. I would stay away as he looks more a 3rd tall rather than a key forward. Stick to the better Division 1 talls.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2008, 09:00:06 PM »
Natanui looked like a wacko Richo imo,based on what i saw via the box of course.

Unco as  ???