Author Topic: U18 Championships 2008  (Read 23098 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: U18 Championships 2008
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2008, 06:12:27 PM »
I just saw some highlights of Watts, um lets just say hes a gonna be a good player  ;D pity he fired up this well in the carnival, If I was Melbourne Id pick him infront of the fijian. Watts - good run and good speed for his height, excellent contested mark. A top young player based on these things alone.
Agree Ramps. Before the Champs Watts was certain to be around our pick but now it looks like he'll go top 3  :(.

1. Melb - Watts
2. WC   - Rich
3. Freo -  Naitanui

Yarran, Ziebell and Hurley would be now in line for our pick is we finish in the bottom 6.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2008, 09:38:05 AM »
mckernan and hurley would certainly come under richmonds consideration.
and if we can trade a player for a later 1st round pick,you would think suban,stephen hill or sidebottom would
be looked at.
suban has excellent skills and most of his disposals are spot on,has very good defensive skills as well.
l dont know alot about hill but hes suppose to have elite endurance ,and his footy skills are very good.
sidebottom has very good skills,and looks like he could really bulk up and be a very strong midfielder,or hb/hf flanker.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2008, 11:14:25 PM »
Yep I forgot about McKernan. Should definitely be on our radar as a KPP. Hartlett would be another potential top 10 although seeing him play last year we have similar types already. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2008, 06:30:53 PM »
South Australia holds off Vic Country
afl.com.au
By Jennifer Witham
Sat 05 July, 2008

South Australia     5.4   8.7   11.12   14.14 (98)
Vic Country           1.1   3.3     4.5      9.10 (64)

GOALS
South Australia: Tapscott 5, Cahill 3, Speight 2, Hartlett, Hall, Schoenmakers, Johnston
Vic Country: Rockliff 3, Butcher 2, Ziebell, Sheehan, Roughead, Browne

BEST
South Australia: Hartlett, Tapscott, Hall, O'Keeffe, Speight, Cahill, Shannon
Vic Country: Ziebell, Suban, Sidebottom, Sheehan, Rockliff, Roughead

---------------------------------
South Australia has enjoyed a strong win over Vic Country on Saturday afternoon

SOUTH AUSTRALIA has withstood a late comeback from Vic Country to win by 34 points in the second of three NAB AFL Under-18 Championship matches at Casey Fields on Saturday afternoon.

SA led by 49 points at three-quarter time but was challenged by the Vics in the final stanza when they piled on five majors to get within four goals.

But SA stood firm and managed to run out winners – 14.14 (98) to 9.10 (64).

South Australian midfielder Hamish Hartlett was best for his side with 23 touches and a goal, while Luke Tapscott top-scored with five.

Their teammate Paul Cahill booted three and Chris Hall was good around the stoppages.

Hartlett is the younger brother of current Carlton-listed player Adam.

Jay Shannon was also in good touch for South Australia, while Jarrad Redden had 11 hit-outs and Ben Speight kicked 2.3.

For the Vics, Jack Ziebell had 20 touches and kicked a goal, Jamie Sheehan was hard in the middle with five clearances and Tom Rockliff booted three majors.

Nick Suban, All-Australian last year, continued to impress with 19 touches, five tackles and six inside 50s.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=62743

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2008, 06:33:52 PM »
Impressive WA pushes through Tassie
afl.com.au
By Jennifer Witham
Sat 05 July, 2008

Western Australia     3.6   7.8   10.12   14.16 (100)
Tasmania                 0.0   3.3     4.3       6.4 (40)

GOALS
Western Australia: Marsh 4, Walters 3, Yarran 2, Lucas, DeBoer, Rich, Duncan, Jetta
Tasmania: Crichton 2, Cornelius, McCulloch, Salter, Shade

BEST
Western Australia: Yarran, Lucas, Naitanui, Fiegert, DeBoer, Rich
Tasmania: Robinson, Crichton, Allwright, Cornelius, Weller, Salter

-------------------------
WESTERN AUSTRALIA has taken another step towards defending its NAB AFL under-18 title with a 60-point thrashing of Tasmania at Casey Fields.

In the first of a triple-header of under-18 action on Saturday, WA was simply too strong for Tassie, winning 14.16 (100) to 6.4 (40) on a crisp but sunny morning at the Cranbourne complex.

The Apple Isle side was kept scoreless in the opening term with Western Australia racing to a 24-point lead.

From there, Tasmania was never really in the game as WA moved steadily ahead each term to set up its 10-goal win.

Kane Lucas was the primary ball-winner for WA with 20 disposals, while Mitch Marsh topped scored with four goals, Michael Walters booted three and Chris Yarran two with his seven tackles.

Highly-touted WA pair Nick Naitanui and Daniel Rich had solid games with the former dominating in the ruck with 19 hit-outs, and the latter having 16 touches, including seven entries into the forward 50.

Rich then complemented his day with an impressive running goal in the fourth.

For Tasmania, 2008 HC Harrison Medal winner Mitch Robinson had a game-high 28 disposals, and Jesse Crichton was the side's only multiple goalkicker with two.

Aaron Cornelius was impressive with a big second quarter.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=62737

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2008, 06:36:40 PM »
Vic Metro far too strong for NSW/ACT
afl.com.au
By Jennifer Witham
Sat 05 July, 2008

Vic Metro     4.6   6.8   10.12   11.14 (80)
NSW/ACT     1.2   3.2     3.2      4.5 (29)

GOALS
Vic Metro: Lisle 2, Scully 2, Watts 2, Hurley, Banner, Lynch, Fitzpatrick, Gilchrist
NSW/ACT: Spiteri, Wilson, A'Vard, Foster

BEST
Vic Metro: Watts, Gotch, Lisle, Hurley, Vickery, Scully, Blease
NSW/ACT: Klemke, Reed, Kirkwood, McNeil, Duncan

------------------------
VIC METRO has rounded out the fourth round of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with a 51-point drubbing of the NSW/ACT RAMS at Casey Fields on Saturday afternoon.

The Vics dominated NSW/ACT from the outset with a four-goal-to-one opening term, and steadily increased the difference throughout the match to win 11.14 (80) to 4.5 (29).

Such was Metro's dominance, they kept NSW/ACT scoreless in the third term and didn't let it penetrate the goals until the fourth minute of the final stanza, when Daniel Spiteri converted.

The Vics had three multiple goalkickers with Jordan Lisle, Tom Scully and the highly-touted Jack Watts snaring two apiece, while Lisle also helped himself to 16 possessions and Scully laid seven tackles.

Xavier Gotch collected the most possessions on the field with 21 and ruckman Tyrone Vickery had 21 hit-outs, which was 10 more than NSW/ACT's leading big man Mitchell Frail.

For NSW/ACT, Kade Klemke had 19 touches and Scott Reed 16 with six tackles.

Dylan McNeil was handy with four clearances and 16 disposals.

NSW/ACT was dealt an additional blow midway through the final term when Anthony Stubbs was helped from the field with concussion.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=62750

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2008, 05:33:42 AM »
Youngsters show class that will win them AFL spots
Emma Quayle | July 6, 2008

A LITTLE over a year ago, the 2007 under-18 championships wound up at Casey Fields. Matthew Kreuzer, Trent Cotchin and Callan Ward played against a Vic Country side featuring Ben McEvoy and Lachie Henderson, while Western Australia clinched its first title in eight years by beating a South Australian team captained by Brad Ebert.

More than half of last year's first 20 draftees had debuted in the AFL by the mid-season and the class of 07 has few rivals, at least as far as instant impact goes.

But time moves along, there are more players on the way and as this year's championships come to a close it's already easy to fill the top part of the draft out with some very promising names.

This could turn out a tall draft, at the very top. If Nick Naitanui is not gobbled up in the top two picks then he won't be far behind. The same goes for Jack Watts, who without having an enormous day for Vic Metro in its 51-point win over NSW/ACT yesterday, still managed to kick two goals and get the ball 12 times.

Jackson Trengove didn't play for Metro, and won't play for a while having injured his knee, but is an athletic, aggressive potential key defender, who could also finish up in the ruck.

At the start of the season, Michael Hurley was considered a possible top-three pick and he was excellent for Metro at full-back yesterday.

He will be an interesting one in the next couple of months: he's a natural defender and, more than that, a natural full-back. He reads the game well and can control the space around him really well. And he has a bit of a mean streak.

He could be up for grabs in the latter part of the top 10 now.

Ayce Cordy is pushing 200 centimetres, and would be a top-10 pick if the Bulldogs were not poised to draft him as a father-son selection.

The much younger brother of Corey McKernan, Shaun, was rested yesterday but is starting to shape as a possible first-round pick. So too is Tyrone Vickery, another ruckman.

WA's Daniel Rich hasn't had a brilliant carnival, and got some attention again yesterday, but is still the pick of the midfielders. He worked his way into yesterday's game — a 60-point win over Tasmania — and at his best can run, deliver and dig the ball out of tight spots.

The pick of the Vic Country crop, at this stage, looks like Jack Ziebell, who can play anywhere and impressed with a couple of gutsy marks and a few charges through the midfield yesterday, Country's best player in its 34-point upset loss to South Australia.

Hamish Hartlett played his best game for SA — he's a smooth, skilful midfielder/forward, who just needs to make sure he gets enough of the ball — while Rich's WA teammate, Chris Yarran, a sharp, classy goalkicker, also looms as a top-10 pick.

The championships will finish at Telstra Dome on Wednesday, with Metro to play WA for the title at 2.30pm, following the final games between South Australia and NSW/ACT (10.05am) and Tasmania v Vic Country (12.15pm). The games will be shown live on Fox Sports.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/youngsters-show-class-chasing-afl-spots/2008/07/05/1214951115540.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2008, 08:02:27 PM »
Jack Watts

"I really haven't thought about it at all – the draft or where I'm going. I haven't even decided whether I'm nominating or not yet," Watts admitted.

"I'm lucky to have the opportunity to get into this position, but I'm not really looking too much into it.

"Obviously, school is a massive one. If you happened to get picked up by an interstate team and you're still doing year 12, it can cause a few problems, so that's a big concern of mine – that's about as far as I've thought about it really."
Interesting thing to say when you're rated a top 5 pick 5 months out from the draft. Maybe also a way to scare off interstate clubs with 3 of them in the bottom 4 this year.

Ramps

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2008, 08:58:10 PM »
the kid wanted us to tank so we could get him  ;D

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2008, 09:05:38 PM »
Someoone should let him down gently and tell him we are after Royce Hart MK II ( Shaun McKernan) :yep :yep :yep

Ramps

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2008, 09:36:05 PM »
Someoone should let him down gently and tell him we are after Royce Hart MK II ( Shaun McKernan) :yep :yep :yep

McKernan better change his kicking action coz if he continues to kick the way Ive seen him kick, hes going to come seriously undone under the greater heat of AFL action, especially in the general course of play.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2008, 03:12:57 AM »

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2008, 12:46:22 PM »
Hartlett, Robinson, Naitanui, Watts, Ediriwickrama and Ziebell

More photos at:
http://www.gspimages.com.au/photography/results/?q=collection:AFL%202008%20Media%20-%20%20Press%20Conference%20070708&sub_code=all

Watts is almost the same height as Natanui, can take a grab and kick a goal, while Natanui has no real tricks apart from jumping high.

I know who i'd take.

Pity Watts has exploded at the champs, he might have been a chance for our pick if he'd stayed quiet.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2008, 12:49:10 PM »
Jack Watts

"I really haven't thought about it at all – the draft or where I'm going. I haven't even decided whether I'm nominating or not yet," Watts admitted.

"I'm lucky to have the opportunity to get into this position, but I'm not really looking too much into it.

"Obviously, school is a massive one. If you happened to get picked up by an interstate team and you're still doing year 12, it can cause a few problems, so that's a big concern of mine – that's about as far as I've thought about it really."

If I was a chance to go pick one in the draft, i'd stick the school books in the fire and burn them up.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2008, 02:51:18 PM »
Watts is almost the same height as Natanui, can take a grab and kick a goal, while Natanui has no real tricks apart from jumping high.

I know who i'd take.

Pity Watts has exploded at the champs, he might have been a chance for our pick if he'd stayed quiet.
Yep sadly  :(. The only way I see Watts falling to us is if we lose most of our games from here and finish below Essendon, Melbourne feels the pressure to take Naitanui at #1 and the Eagles, Freo and Port go for home ground talent like Rich, Yarran and Hartlett respectively.

There's 3-4cm difference b/w Naitanui and Watts. Watts is 194cm and 85kg.