Author Topic: U18 Championships 2008  (Read 23911 times)

Ramps

Re: U18 Championships 2008
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2008, 09:05:37 PM »
What did you think of McKernans kicking MT?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2008, 09:32:05 PM »
What did you think of McKernans kicking MT?
I've heard it can be ungainly but from what I saw today it was fine. I don't remember any stuff ups that stood out from memory. Now I would prefer Watts of course but I can't see Watts still being around for us so McKernan, Vickery or Hurley would be the next talls in line.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2008, 10:38:12 PM »
Overall I am pretty disappointed with the quality of players.
Yep it doesn't look like being a deep draft. Kevin Sheahan who is paid to be ultra-positive was on tonight and he had 55 draftees up for grabs.

The top 5 look like being:

1. Watts - Melbourne
2. Rich - West Coast
3. Naitanui - Freo
4. Hartlett - Port
5. Hurley - Essendon
6. ? - Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2008, 03:11:10 AM »
Draft to feature tall and versatile youngsters
Emma Quayle | July 10, 2008

AS VIC Metro beat Western Australia in the final of this year's under-18 competition, the theme of the upcoming draft pool took further shape: expect the top part of the draft to be largely about tall players who can play in a long list of spots.

With No. 1 prospect Nick Naitanui up front, Adelaide recruiting manager Matt Rendell expects this draft to prove the best ever for talls, while Collingwood's Derek Hine said their versatility was what made the group unique.

Metro ruckman Tyrone Vickery, back from a knee reconstruction, was almost best on ground for Metro in its 29-point win, taking several strong marks deep in the forward line, while the skinner Shaun McKernan also roamed the ground well and got into goal-scoring spots as a forward.

The injured Ayce Cordy, another ruck prospect, would be a top five or 10 pick if the Western Bulldogs didn't have first call on him as a father-son selection, while ruckman/defender Jackson Trengove also shaped as a top 10 prospect before suffering a season-ending knee/hamstring injury that clubs will need to get a line on.

Jordan Roughead, the cousin of Hawthorn forward Jarryd, was a smooth mover for Vic Country in its big win over Tasmania in the middle game, while the South Australian side that thrashed NSW featured a couple of developing ruck prospects who may push through later in the draft, with Jarred Redden in particular playing well.

Jack Watts leads the key position prospects likely to be snapped up swiftly, with Metro full-back Michael Hurley still ranked highly by some clubs and South Australian forward Lewis Johnston continuing to push his first-round claims after barely dropping a mark, contested or otherwise, yesterday. Tasmanian Aaron Cornelius may also come into first-round calculations.

Naitanui's WA teammate Dan Rich is at the top of the midfield list, with the hard-at-it Jack Ziebell impressive again for Vic Country yesterday and his teammate Steele Sidebottom playing another composed game. Hamish Hartlett was classy again for South Australia, while Sam Blease took off on some eye-catching runs for Metro.

Rendell expected any club looking for a tall player to have a shot at a good one in the first round.

"It's the best tall draft we've seen and probably ever will see. There's probably four of the best ruckmen I've seen going around and in any other year they'd be going number one," he said.

"Those guys speak for themselves: Naitanui, Vickery and McKernan, and we've forgotten about Cordy because he hasn't played all year. You throw in Roughead and a couple of the South Australians who are coming from a fair way back, plus Trengove, and you've got six or seven good players.

"And it's not only that, there's a fantastic group of key position players as well. I just think when all is said and done it's the best draft ever for all players and to have the standard we've got in the one year is amazing."

Hine, who believes Watts also has midfield potential, said the adaptability of the group also made it a special one. "You look at someone like Tyrone Vickery, he's one of those talls who's a multi-position player," he said.

Metro's win was its sixth in eight seasons, and gave coach David Dickson, who has resigned after 12 years shepherding dozens of AFL players through their under-18 carnival, a perfect farewell.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/draft-to-feature-versatile-talls/2008/07/09/1215282926207.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2008, 03:13:55 AM »
Talent manager predicts bumper 2009 AFL draft
Amelia Harris | July 10, 2008 12:00am

THE raw talent of this year's draft is "in the ballpark" of the 1997 and 2001 drafts, AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said yesterday.

The 1997 draft produced dual Brownlow medallist Adam Goodes, Trent Croad, Luke Power and Shane O'Bree, while awesome foursome Luke Hodge, Luke Ball, Chris Judd and Jimmy Bartel were products of the 2001 super draft.

Sheehan said the talent on offer yesterday at the NAB under-18 championships was exciting, but it was hard to pick the order of who would go in the top 20.

"Right at the minute we're really excited about the first 25 and the depth of the draft overall," Sheehan said.

"It will take a fair bit of sorting, even if you just put all the ruckmen or tall forwards into a group to separate all of (them).

"I'd say you'd have a debate about at least 25 as to whether they'd be in the first 12 for some people or whether they're out to 25 with others. It'll just be personal opinion."

Sheehan said he was particularly impressed with ruckman/forward Tyrone Vickery's game, which included 13 disposals, 12 hitouts, five marks and three goals, in Vic Metro's 29-point championship win against Western Australia.

"You hear a lot about the (Nicholas) Naitanuis and the (Jack) Watts, but he's a 200cm guy that can mark the ball inside 50, can play in the ruck, he's agile around the ground," Sheehan said.

Wingman David Zaharakis (18 possessions, two goals), midfielder/half-forward Luke Shuey (21 possessions) and forward Jack Watts (two goals), who won the Larke Medal for best performance throughout the Division 1 championships, were also impressive.

Potential No. 1 draft pick Naitanui rucked well with 22 hitouts and kicked a goal, while teammates Clancee Pearce and Daniel Rich were outstanding.

Metro midfielder Mitchell Banner said his game-high 28 possessions was his best performance of the carnival.

"I think I ran hard and ran well," the 18-year-old said.

"All I wanted to work on this year was to make (Vic Metro). Funnily enough, I made it, and to win it is just even better."

Underage Gippsland Power forward John Butcher booted five goals in Vic Country's 98-point win against Tasmania.

Teammates Nick Suban (18 disposals), Steele Sidebottom (17 possessions) and Nic Heyne (16 touches and 10 inside-50s) were also impressive.

Tasmanian midfielder Mitch Robinson lived up to his reputation as Hunter Harrison medallist as the best Division 2 player with 24 disposals and eight inside-50s, while forward Aaron Cornelius was solid with four goals and five marks.

Hamish Hartlett , brother of Carlton's Adam, starred with 24 touches, while forward Lewis Johnston kicked four goals in South Australia's 80-point victory against NSW/ACT.

Josh Duncan , Daniel Spiteri and Kade Klemke were good for the Rams, who were without captain and midfielder Ranga Ediriwickrama because of a hamstring injury he sustained in last month's win against Tasmania.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23996373-19742,00.html

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2008, 08:43:43 AM »
Yep it doesn't look like being a deep draft. Kevin Sheahan who is paid to be ultra-positive was on tonight and he had 55 draftees up for grabs.

1. Watts - Melbourne
2. Rich - West Coast
3. Naitanui - Freo
4. Hartlett - Port
5. Hurley - Essendon
6. ? - Richmond

l agree with your selections,l think mckernan will be a tiger.
l think there will be a few good players will fall late in the draft.
because of there height (considered small) or very skinny.
one that comes straight to mind is andy hooper hes a small boy but is a real goer .
also just on suban hes a very consistent player ,usually plays well week in and week out .

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2008, 04:44:59 PM »

1. Watts - Melbourne
2. Rich - West Coast
3. Naitanui - Freo
4. Hartlett - Port
5. Hurley - Essendon
6. ? - Richmond

l agree with your selections,l think mckernan will be a tiger.
l think there will be a few good players will fall late in the draft.
because of there height (considered small) or very skinny.
one that comes straight to mind is andy hooper hes a small boy but is a real goer .
also just on suban hes a very consistent player ,usually plays well week in and week out .
Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if we went for McKernan too if Watts goes early as expected. I've got a feeling we'll go tall KPP with our first pick especially with Polak's football future unknown. I guess Vickery might be tempting for us too - 200cm ruckman/forward in one - if we can't trade for someone like Warnock. Of course all this depends on where we finish and if the draft falls the way as expected which it often doesn't as you say DRT. Last year a lot of people had Rance in the top 10 and he dropped our pick 18.

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »
l think this years draft is quite a good one.
l hope the tigers pick up some more draft picks ,trading players like petts and raines who l think has fell out of favour .
l didnt rate raines very highly anyway,so he wouldnt be a loss to me.
if we are going to trade for warnock l wouldnt trade to highly for him ,hes still very unproven and what he has done hasnt been that impressive.
maybe a swap for jon.
theres quite a few good ruck types in this draft,l kinda like roughead he needs to bulk up but hes good around the field and takes a good mark ,not a bad kick either .
lm looking forward to trade week.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2008, 06:35:29 PM »
The only question mark with this draft is depth so the more early picks the better. It's going to be hard for us to get another 1st rounder but we maybe able to score another second rounder via a trade. Trading away picks should be a definite no-no. Let's hope the club has finally learnt that lesson after last year and before that ::). I can't see us getting Warnock in a swap for JON  ;) (I'd do that trade in an instant if Freo were that stupid  :lol ) but I agree we should only do a player(s) swap. 

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2008, 07:17:30 PM »
Hypothetically

If We had pick 6 and Freo had pick 3.

6 + Schulz ------------ Pick 3

Any takers ?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2008, 03:37:01 AM »
Hypothetically

Any takers ?
If I knew Melbourne were taking Nat at #1 then yes. That would give us Watts. I don't think Freo even for them would be that silly.

Ramps

« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »
Hypothetically

Any takers ?
If I knew Melbourne were taking Nat at #1 then yes. That would give us Watts. I don't think Freo even for them would be that silly.

MT is correct. If Richmond wants Watts we have to get the pick before Melbournes pick.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2008, 04:33:39 AM »
UNDER-18 CHAMPIONSHIPS WRAP
Champion Data - Week 15

Here are some of the more notable DT scores from Saturday week’s U18 Championship games at Casey Fields.

TASMANIA

104 – Mitch Robinson:

He just keeps finding the ball. May find himself in contention for the Larke Medal, he’s been that good. Had 28 disposals and six marks in the loss to WA.

68 – Aaron Cornelius:
Was close to best on ground after quarter-time, finishing with 14 disposals and seven marks. Will want to end the carnival on a high.

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

91 – Chris Yarran:

An absolute class act who finished with 16 disposals and seven tackles. Booted three goals and looks fit and firing for a big finale.

72 – Michael Walters:
He only had 12 disposals but made them count with three goals. Has been one of WA’s best this carnival playing as a small forward.

69 – Daniel Rich:
Played his best game for the carnival with 16 disposals and seven clearances, but failed to take a mark – bad DT play.

VIC COUNTRY

88 – Jack Ziebell:

Did someone say the name James Hird? Ziebell oozes class and is in the Hird mould – a ballwinner who is good overhead and brilliant at the stoppages.

85 – Nick Suban:
Yet another stellar performance with 19 disposals, four marks and five tackles. He loves to kick which is great for us DT coaches.

72 – Steele Sidebottom:
Another midfielder who is a likely 2009 debutant. Has a cool head and keeps winning the contested ball.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

71 – Hamish Hartlett:

Played his best game of the carnival and finally showed what he was capable of. Finished with 23 disposals and was all class.

61 – Rhys O’Keefe:
The running defender reminds me of Martin Mattner. Can push into the midfield and has had a consistent carnival.

VIC METRO

60 – Jack Watts:

He’s firming as the No.1 pick. Spent the final term on the bench and while he wasn’t dominant, still showed flashes of brilliance.

90 – Jordan Lisle:
Began the carnival as a key defender but went forward with stunning results – 16 disposals, five marks and two goals in a BOG effort.

73 – Michael Hurley:
The most reliable young key defender in a long time. Took seven marks and is a superb kick. A likely top six pick.

60 – Sam Blease:
He has pace to burn and was finally given some more ground time. Picked up 12 disposals and five inside 50s in an encouraging performance.

NSW-ACT

80 – Scott Reed:

He was solid down back again and keeps winning the ball. He’s improving in close and can win the hard ball. Certain Collingwood rookie for 2009.

71 – Kade Klemke:
Once again he read the play extremely well from defence and found plenty of the ball. Has had a sensational carnival.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2008, 04:39:03 AM »
UNDER-18 CHAMPIONSHIPS WRAP
Champion Data - Week 16

The carnival has ended, with Vic Metro taking the title with a win over Western Australia in the final game. South Australia ended on a high with two convincing wins in their final two games while Vic Country thumped Tasmania in their last game also.

Here are the key scorers from the final day’s play – stay tuned for next week’s full wrap of the overall points tallies for the carnival, which will be weighted to take into account the flat 20-minute quarters that were played throughout the five games.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

101 – Hamish Hartlett:

Was superb in the final game with 24 disposals and eight inside 50s. He’s a certain top-10 pick.

97 – Lewis Johnston:
Ended a great carnival with 18 disposals, eight marks and four goals.

NSW-ACT

75 – Scott Reed:

Has improved considerably this year and just keeps racking up the big scores.

52 – Kade Klemke:
Not as prominent as previous games yet still one of the Rams’ best.

TASMANIA

92 – Mitch Robinson:

Ended a brilliant carnival with 24 disposals and eight inside 50s. Consistent throughout the five games.

71 – Aaron Cornelius:
Finally hit back with some form in the final two games, booting four goals in the last match.

VIC COUNTRY

84 – Jamie Sheehan:

The nippy small forward was lively throughout, picking up 21 disposals and three goals.

59 – Jack Ziebell:
Wasn’t as prolific as usual yet still scored well. An absolute class act.

73 – Steele Sidebottom:
The kid has plenty of smarts and will be one to keep an eye on come the 2009 preseason.

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

87 – Clancee Pearce:

Another strong showing off half-back with 26 disposals and six marks. Was the deserving winner of Western Australia’s MVP for the carnival.

78 – Nicholas Naitanui:
Had only nine disposals but won 22 hitouts. Will he go No.1? Depends on who finishes last.

81 – Daniel Rich:
Finally did some of the things we knew he could. Still a certain early pick and probably the best chance to play AFL in 2009.

VIC METRO

124 – Mitch Banner:

This kid is an absolute ball-magnet as evidenced by his score in this game. Definitely one to keep in mind.

101 – David Zaharakis:
Overlooked in last year’s Draft, this pacy wingman will be snapped up for sure in 2009. Finds plenty of the ball and is a goal-kicker.

97 – Tyrone Vickery:
This mobile ruckman is superb overhead and was best afield in the final with five marks and three goals. Not sure if he’ll be ready next year though.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2008, 08:44:40 PM »
2008 U18 All-Australian Team

B: Nick Suban (Vic Country), Michael Hurley (Vic Metro), Clancee Pearce (Western Australia)

HB: Stephen Hill (Western Australia), Jordan Lisle (Vic Metro), Rhys O’Keefe (South Australia)

C: Mitch Robinson (Tasmania), Matthew DeBoer (Western Australia), David Zaharakis (Vic Metro)

HF: Hamish Hartlett (South Australia), Lewis Johnston (South Australia), Tom Scully (Vic Metro)

F: Tyrone Vickery (Vic Metro), Jack Watts (Vic Metro), Michael Walters (Western Australia)

Foll: Nicholas Naitanui (Western Australia), Jack Ziebell (Vic Country), Ranga Ediriwickrama (NSW/ACT)

I/C: Daniel Rich (Western Australia), Shaun McKernan (Vic Metro), Kade Klemke (NSW/ACT), Steele Sidebottom (Vic Country)

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=63694