Author Topic: Intraclub Game - Thursday Feb 5 @ Gosch's Paddock  (Read 18488 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Intraclub Game - Thursday Feb 5 @ Gosch's Paddock
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2009, 04:13:16 PM »
Just a bit more info.

As my mate said we're here on mass on Feb 5 watching an intra-club - we're mad!  :rollin.

Absentees: Tambling, Cotchin from what I saw.
Gourdis and Petts had a kick around on the oval before the start of the game. Sugar was also a non-participant.

Fev was behind us watching on with interest. Geoff Raines was walking around too.

McRae was coaching the Blacks and Rawlings the Whites when I went to the half-time huddles.

The starting centre-square match-ups were:

B:   Simmo     Foley      Jackson    Lids
W:  Gus          Collins     Tuck      Thomson

Polo was on Richo on the Punt Rd side wing and Cuz and Whitey were on the other wing IIRC.

Okay onto Individual summaries - Black team first:

Raines - impressive return to footy from Rainesy. Got plenty of it and ran the lines through the corridor well. One of the best on the day. He switched from the blacks to the white at quarter time.

Deledio - not the greatest game from Lids IMV. Quiet first quarter from what I saw and his first two possessions up on a HFF missed the target and were turned over. Was better after quarter time when he took a strong pack mark and got more of the footy generating plenty of run. Missed all 3 shots on goal he had.

Simmo - Solid game for the time he was on rucking and linking up through the midfield. Only played a quarter and a bit as did most of the older guys.

Browny - Played more forward of the centre rather than up forward. Got many possessions say 70m out from goal. Only criticism was although his passes hit their mark, many of them were passes into the pockets. Similar game time to Simmo.

Riewoldt - Very good from Jack. He was on a first year young ruckman Browney and continually lead up the corridor to offer marking options for the mids. 3 goals including one from outside 50 (hello Saints game) and a number of marks was a good day out for Jack.

Bowden - Used him mainly up forward in a FP or deep HFF from what I saw. Solid and kicked a goal during his time on the ground.

Richo - Poor Polo was given the job on the wing  :help. Richo played a quarter and a bit, did what he pleased marking here, there and everywhere, handballed off to a teammate despite marking only 12m out, missed the easy shot but got the harder one. Typical Richo lol.

McMahon - Played in his usually HBF rebounding role. A solid to good game from Jordie who got plenty of it.

Rance - I thought up to half-time he was very quiet so that was disappointing. Last quarter was good though playing in defence (CHB) and cutting off White forays forward.

Morton - One of the Blacks best. Very busy and finished with 2.3.

Nahas - Clearly favourite to be promoted of our rookies. A handy late pick-up if he can produce today's effort on a regular basis. Played up high on a HFF or that's where he marked the footy.

Jackson - Solid without being influential. A typical Jacko game for mine.

Schulz - Played in defence and I thought he was solid to good. It was pleasing to see him switch and move the ball on quickly once he marked or gained possession. Used the footy well too.

Patto - didn't really notice Patto to be honest apart from his time in the ruck and that great grab he took towards the end.

Hislop - started very well in the first quarter but drifted out of the game after that. Not sure what happened when his goal was given a point. Must have been touched by the man on the mark.

Hughes - Disappointing as his skinhead haircut. Just couldn't get into the game for most of it whenever the ball headed in his direction. He kicked 2 goals, one of which came from a good mark and kick from outside 50 on an angle, but that was about it from Cleve.

White - Solid from Whitey. Not a standout apart from being Cuz's opponent for a while. I would've given Whitey the points in the first quarter and to Cuz in the second.

Vickery - Well I was just as impressed by him today as I was when I saw him in the U18 champs. Moreso today for his ruckwork. Okay I'm not expecting him to play ruck this year as although he's a good size for a 18 year old he is only 18 but his tapwork was excellent. We were watching from the Punt Rd wing so had a good view of the rucks to watch them carefully and Ty's hand taps were sublime at times. Not necessarily down the mids throats but his taps down into space advantaged a number of times the Black mids and allowed them run onto the footy without breaking stride and get the clearance. Exciting times for the future.

Connors - Another who switched sides after quarter time. Solid across half-forward and also across half-back without being a standout.

Foley - Easily B.O.G. for mine. Would've had easily 30+ possies. He was everywhere - bursting out and through the centre, breaking lines doing his famous long runs, as well as getting out to contests on wing and boundary. Today was the Foley we know and love  :bow.

King - Played back pocket for the Blacks and it was typical Kingy game - worked very hard defensively and got plenty of it but his disposal was erratic when using it. For example he did well to earn a free kick and stop a goal on the last line of defence only to then footpass it straight back to the opposition 30m out from goal.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2009, 04:27:25 PM »
Thanks MT  :thumbsup, are you taking questions  ;D

If so how was Raines's run, was there any lateral movement?

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »
Great report MT. Don't stop now... :gotigers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2009, 05:38:25 PM »
continued..

Thursfield - Solid as usual from Thursty. Played last line from what I saw.

Polak - First off I'll say it was fantastic to see Polly playing footy again. Unbelievable in fact given where he's come from over the past 6 months. As for his game judging purely from a football point of view Polly is still a long way away. He was able to mostly run and lead into the right spots but his hands failed him numerous times to hang onto the footy. It did improve slightly by the end of the game and he started to hang onto a couple of marks but the job now if he is to make a AFL game comeback is to try and regain his marking which was a strength of his prior to the accident.

Gilligan - Didn't do a lot but what he did was very polished.

Edwards - The pleasant surprise from the match. I would've had in the best 5 on the ground. Got plenty of it and used his pace to break the lines. He switched side at quarter time and was still able to get his hands on the footy.

Polo - a bit hard to judge Deano when he's asked to match-up on someone who is 6 inches taller than him and is the ultimate competitor and athlete by the name of Richo. Deano must have been relieved when Richo went off after 30 minutes and got into his civies.

Newman - I didn't realise #15 was Newy until the 3rd quarter lol  :wallywink. Typical solid game on a HBF from Newy.

Putt - Nice step up from last year if today becomes the norm for Putty for the rest of the year. Contested well up forward for the weaker Whites and 2.2 is a sound return for his efforts today. I liked the fact as a tall (200cm) he worked hard when the ball hit the ground. Someone to keep an eye on.

Tuck - Solid without being a standout. Worked hard as usual.

JON - I think I noticed him about twice all day. To be fair he is coming back from a shoulder op and may have been used sparingly as a result.

Cogs - Moved much better than what we saw from him at Coburg last year and got his fair share of the footy. I still think we need to see more of Cogs before saying he's "back" (pace still has a ?) but only someone like Cogs would show the desperation to keep on chasing Foley along the boundary until Cogs got enough of a piece of him to knock him over. That happened right in front of us and the crowd gave him a big applause.

Thomson - Solid in a tagging role. Seemed to keep Lids quiet enough in the first quarter.

Cousins - quiet first quarter for mine as he adjusted to playing footy after 18 months out but it started to click in second quarter. Last 10 minutes he was on the ground was the best so it says to me it's gametime that he needs the most from now on. The rest of the package is already there.

Silvester - Solid game in defence.

Post - Very Impressive. Seems our first two picks will turn out to be good gets based on today. Wilbur got better and better and more influential as the game went along. Got plenty of it, showed what a good mark he is and the versatility to play at either end which is what the club wanted from him when drafted. Played more up forward today before moving into defence in the last quarter. He really was main interest towards the end as most of the senior guys had packed up for the day after half-time. The only knock is his kicking can be up and down.

Browne - Oddly started on Jack at CHB who was too nimble for him which is no surprise for a young ruckman. Quiet overall.

Moore - Solid.

Collins - Got a fair bit of it and played alright in patches but when your opponent is racking them up and best afield then playing off each other becomes a knock against you.

Graham - Worked hard and looked good in patches and so-so in others. He appeared to be carrying the Whites ruck load as Simmo, Patto, Vickery and a big Coburg kid wearing black #44.

As for the non-RFC listed players - honourable mentions to midfielder #11 and the ruckman #44 (good side and mobility for a big man)

Overall
Skills were semi-decent for early Feb. Still frustrating mistakes and turnovers were made but after watching a number of these intra-clubs over the past few years where these games were more noted for their rugby scrums with stoppage after stoppage, it was refreshing to see free flowing footy with players running to support one another and break the lines, and both sides moving the ball quickly. The main criticism is too many attacks ended up in the pockets which made kicking for goal more difficult. It's up to the talls albeit still relatively young to straighten us up now that Richo is on a wing.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2009, 06:02:39 PM »
Thanks again MT.

Edwards just has it. 8)
Hopefully he really adds something to our midfield this year.

Offline SUGARWINTON

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2009, 06:04:42 PM »
NO. 11 WAS A KID CALLED DARCY DOVE FROM CALDER CANNON AND 44 WAS HAMISH DAHL FROM BENDIGO.BOTH WILL PLAY WITH COBURG. ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2009, 06:13:44 PM »
Some stats from SEN:

Nahas 22 disposals
Lids 15
Rainesy 10 in first qtr.

Dwayne Russell just said on 3aw there were 5,000 there today. That's a slight exaggeration. It was a 1000 or two which is incredible for early Feb.

Ch 10 news showed Dermie, Ratten, Eade and Rama were at Gosch's paddock today watching us. Opposition clubs are worried lol.

Thanks MT  :thumbsup, are you taking questions  ;D
LOL fire away. I'd like to hear myself what wayne, blaisee and anyone else who went today thought too.

If so how was Raines's run, was there any lateral movement?
I wouldn't say lateral movement but he ran from behind for the handball receive and seemed to use the first option moreso today. It was an open game so we'll need to wait until there's more shutdown pressure from a real opposition before Rainesy is fully tested and whether he's learnt any new tricks.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2009, 06:34:25 PM »
From what you saw today MT, who'd be in the team next week against Freo
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2009, 06:48:25 PM »
Not the gr8test @ summaries but will say on Nahas has speed and uses it well, along with 22 possies is a ferocious tackler aslo. Saw him at Port and was awesome at that level but doubted the step up considering his size. Today put bed to a bit of that, could be a real dark horse.

Not one for keeping track of the newies and didn't know who a lot of them were but post stood out, Vickery may take a while but looks real likely, liked rances run out of defence.

Rainesy impressed ran the line hard and could surprise after last year (supercoach cheapy ?)

Simmo and Richo looking ultra fit.

Jordie still doesn't like pressure ..

Apologies oxx but Bowden is gunna have another good year.

Shulz who had his right knee bandaged limped off in the third ?  

Cogs is a big boy went OK needs games now then we will see - fingers crossed.

ummm Oakley Nicholls still takes too long to make decisions, I hope he can rectify this.

It was pretty warm out there today, Nylex said about 27 ish during the game and it was played in full sun.

Pretty funny when number 9 for the black team - IDFK who he was either, got the ball and Browny just looks at him and yells number 9 number 9 here number 9 give it here number 9 :rollin funny sh*t

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2009, 06:51:26 PM »
Mike headed down to Gosch's paddock today as well...

The Club sold a heap of merchandise (and hopefully memberships too).

Cousins - Looked hesistant in the first quarter but was very good in the second. Healy mentioned from the vision he's seen that it looked as though Cousins wasn't accelerating and fully striding out like the old Cuz we knew at the Eagles. Mike agreed but he believed that would've been an instruction from the Club so Cuz didn't over do it.

Polak - was shakey in the first 20 minutes but once Cousins hit him lace out and Polly marked it, he looked to gain a fair bit of confidence from that.

Mike is apparently writing a piece tomorrow on how Cousins was whisked away by car at half-time yet Richo who is the soul of Richmond had to walk back to Punt Rd. Cuz did walk to Gosch's paddock with Foley, Newy and others.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers impress in intra-club match (RFC)
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »
Tigers impress in intra-club match
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
4:00 PM Thu 05 February, 2009

RICHMOND has started its 2009 campaign with an impressive intra-club match at Gosch’s Paddock that saw Mark Coughlan playing competitively in Richmond colours again.

Coughlan has suffered a series of leg injuries – including two knee reconstructions – and hasn’t played for the Tiger for a couple of years.

The game was played in hot conditions on Wednesday and the Tigers elected to play most of their guns for just the first two quarters.

Ben Cousins looked better as the game wore on, Graham Polak looked very rusty in the first term but took three marks in the second, while Essendon recruit Tom Hislop scored the first goal of the game after a strong mark at centre half-forward.

The teams were selected to match the better forwards against the better backs.

Matthew Richardson was again on the wing and kicked a major from there, Joel Bowden booted another, as did Nathan Foley (20+ touches in two terms) and Cleve Hughes.

Kel Moore was strong at the back, along with Will Thursfield and new skipper Chris Newman.

Matty White was his usual explosive self in the midfield, with Foley, Brett Deledio (15 touches in a half) and Andrew Raines (10 touches in first term).

Troy Simmonds and new recruit Tyrone Vickery (pick eight in the 2008 National Draft) both impressed in the ruck and around the ground.

Richmond’s first pick in the NAB Rookie Draft, Robin Nahas, collected 22 touches and youngster Jayden Post improved as the day went on.

Richmond assistant coach Brian Royal said the coaching staff were happy with the hit-out.

“It was a good hit-out – we got four quarters in, two 25-minute quarters and probably two 20s at the end,” Royal said.

“We had a lot of guys from our Coburg reserves side playing which made it a little bit scrappy in the second half, but to be honest, we thought it was a fairly promising standard.

“Mark (Coughlan) was terrific – it’s been fantastic for Mark to get through a full-scale hit-out. It’s probably been two years since Mark’s been in this sort of situation.

“We’ve been really pleased with his pre-season preparation and to this stage he hasn’t had a hiccup.

“Andrew (Raines) unfortunately had an injury interrupted season last year, and he’s very determined to get back into the AFL side, and we were really pleased with the form of Tom Hislop.”

Royal said Raines and Couglan were likely to play Richmond’s NAB Cup opener against Fremantle next weekend in Perth.

Opposition spies abounded, with the Bulldogs Rodney Eade, Collingwood’s Blake Caracella and Melbourne’s Sean Wellman the most obvious.

http://afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=71756

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2009, 07:15:41 PM »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2009, 07:43:18 PM »
From what you saw today MT, who'd be in the team next week against Freo
This is tough even with 26  :-\

B.   Raines       Moore     Thursty
HB. Newman   McGuane  McMahon
C:   White        Lids         Richo
HF: Hislop      Riewoldt   Browny
F:   Morton       Putt         Nahas
R:   Simmo      Tuck        Foley
Int:  Graham, Post, Edwards, Connors, Bowden, Schulz
Subs: Thomson, Jackson

Wanted to put in Vickery but someone had to miss.
I think they might give Cogs as rest and then build it up closer to round 1
Richo will alternate games (play week 1 then miss week 2).

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2009, 08:14:42 PM »
Could you have found the elusive "intelligent" Carlton supporter?  :o :o :o

Aren't they all a myth like Cyclops or the Loch Ness Monster
or extinct like the do-do.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2009, 08:20:30 PM »
Thanks to everyone who went and were kind enough to provide such a concise assessment of what went on as unfortunantely I was unable to make it. :thumbsup
Looks like we are looking good for this stage of the season so it looks promising. :thumbsup