Author Topic: Otto a man in demand  (Read 37984 times)

froars

Re: Otto a man in demand
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2004, 01:36:58 PM »
Caro strikes again lol

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2004, 01:37:22 PM »
Caro strikes again lol

Reminds me of a curse I once saw a guy put on someone:

"May all your children grow up with small penises, including the girls"  :scream :bow :thumbsup :lol :shh :rollin
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 01:40:53 PM by Fwoy3 »
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2004, 01:39:25 PM »
Its time to be Argro!

He has only performed once in seven years which gave him his all Australian position, he hasnt performed and his salary is over the top!

As Miller said he owes the Tigers, and not having signed and with his management speaking with other clubs it doesnt take an Eistein to workout that he's going to change clubs.

Wallace and Miller aint no Spud! Hence the talk of drafting him back, lets ramp his price up and get young guys that want to perform!

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2004, 01:55:46 PM »
Whether he wants to stay or go I think it's in the club's best interests to trade him whilst he is still being overrated.

We'll never get another opportunity to get a first round draft pick and a player for a guy who has played one good season in seven.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 03:56:34 PM by JohnF »

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2004, 02:08:43 PM »
That may well be true John, but having seen 'journalists' put two and two together to come up with five often enough, I am willing to take the wait and see approach on this. No quotes from Ottens saying he wants out or doesn't accept the terms and conditions as yet.

Plenty of time to crucify him once his gone...  :lol
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2004, 02:53:49 PM »
Whether he wants to stay or go I think it's in the club's best interests to trade him whilst he is still being overrated.

We'll never get another opportunity to get a first round daft pick and a player for a guy who has played one good season is seven.

Again I agree with you JohnF

the talk of wallace saying they would waste 1st pick in the PSD on him even if he leaves makes me feel ill.

WHY CANT PEOPLE SEE that he is a DUD?

I'll scream out until im blue in the face.... IM SICK OF RICHMOND PEOPLE OVERATING OUR OWN PLAYERS

get rid of him while there is interest from other clubs because in 2 years time when he has done jack poo he will be worth nothing.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2004, 03:32:41 PM »
It's a bit harsh calling Ottens a dud and useless.  He is an OK player, not great, and as such deserves to have his salary reduced.  As his perceived value is greater than his actual value, we can really benefit from this situation if we play our cards right.  We must portray the image that he is a required player and that we are desperate to hold onto him, even if it means we will re-draft him in the PSD.  This will only increase his already inflated market value.  It's working out well.  We either hold onto Ottens at a reduced salary or we realise a great trade for him.  The worst thing that can occur is if we bend over to his alleged demands, or if we do in fact re-draft him in the PSD with his hefty price tag.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2004, 03:50:52 PM »

We'll never get another opportunity to get a first round daft pick and a player for a guy who has played one good season is seven.

Well, believe it or not JohnF, I think I’ve finally taken the blinkers off on this one and I’m starting to agree with you too.

I know a few months back I argued black and blue with you that we should keep Otto, but since then we’ve seen the difference in the quality of players recruited last season, compared to previous years.  So I can now see the merit in what you say and that there’s probably more risk involved in keeping Otto than letting him go.

And if we’re ever going to take advantage of a bad situation then now is the time.  It all sounds a bit cut throat and clinical, but unless we get ruthless and go about things for the long-term good of the Club, rather than the individual, then we’ll never get anywhere.

What’s more painful, letting one player go for the likes of another Hartigan or Jackson, or living with eternal mediocrity?
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2004, 04:15:43 PM »
TS :thumbsup

As far as I see it TS, there is nothing cut throat or clinical in getting rid of a player who has produced one good season in seven years and who became a millionaire as a result.

Far be it from cut throat and ruthless, we have been a charity to the guy and if he looks at it any other way he is delusional as to who he is and what he has produced.

Ottens is centainly not the only player at our club in such a position, but he is one of the few guys in such a position who we can capitalise on whilst there is still market value for him.

If I seem to be picking on him and leaving others like Gaspar off the hook its because Gaspar's worth has plummeted to zilch since his injury and there would really be no benefit in getting rid off him at this time.

Whilst there is no guarantee that with the trades we would get for Ottens we would develop any stars, I struggle to believe that we would end up with some players that have less of an influence on the game than Ottens.So I think it's worth taking a risk in trading him. We have more to gain than we do to lose.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2004, 04:28:21 PM »
I will go on record as saying I want Ottens to stay. I understand that he has been paid on potential for a long time but I think he has given more than 1 good season. The offer before him is a good one and as I have said until he comes back and says he wants to go .....

1998/99 it is hard to know - he was a kid who made cameos.

Obviously, 2001 was his best, but 2000 when Richo was out for most of the year with that foot injury Ottens was one of our best.

2002 - well I cannot comment because for some reason that season is wiped from my memory :'(

I don't think he can be judged for 2003 because he missed half the season with a very serious back injury (having a family member who this year had the same surgery I know what rehab is involved and it is tough). That he played at all in 2003 was a credit to him.

2004 has been a huge disappointment - I agree and even Brad Ottens has agreed with that.

But I cannot get away from the fact that I think he will improve with a new coach that has obviously ear marked him to play forward rather than in the ruck. This is a good move because when he has played well it has been as forward who occassionally rucks not the other way around.

I understand that you have trade some decent to get high draft picks but I still think there are others who need to go before him. But we aren't exactly over stocked with talls.

Am I the only one who thinks that Terry Wallace can improve Brad Ottens?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 04:38:41 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2004, 04:55:45 PM »
WP I think Terry can get a good season out of him.

The question is whether he will be able to maintain that form for a 3,4,5 year period.

I can see Ottens taking the path of someone like Jeff White. Has about 3 good years in his career and spends the intermittent years carrying a reputation bigger than what he deserves.

If we do keep him I hope I'm wrong...

Jackstar

« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2004, 06:59:01 PM »
Your on drugs Ronnie, to say that he was an Australian makes no diiference as you are only as good as your last game. Andrew kellaway was an All Australian. ::)
We just hope that with new people making decisions , that we improve our list ,if we dont ,we are heading for back to back spoons, we will have a cutlery set at this rate if we dont change

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2004, 08:45:12 PM »
I will go on record as saying I want Ottens to stay. I understand that he has been paid on potential for a long time but I think he has given more than 1 good season. The offer before him is a good one and as I have said until he comes back and says he wants to go .....

But I cannot get away from the fact that I think he will improve with a new coach that has obviously ear marked him to play forward rather than in the ruck. This is a good move because when he has played well it has been as forward who occassionally rucks not the other way around.

I understand that you have trade some decent to get high draft picks but I still think there are others who need to go before him. But we aren't exactly over stocked with talls.

Am I the only one who thinks that Terry Wallace can improve Brad Ottens?

I'm with you WP. I believe Otto will improve under a real AFL coach like Wallace who understands that Otto is mainly a forward and not a ruckman and we drill into us how to play modern footy. 

In 2001 Otto played as forward and got plenty of plaudits because people saw him do the spectacular things and kick plenty of goals. In 2002, he was moved into the ruck and had to carry the tall division virtually by himself when Stafford, Richo, Hall and Holland were all out injured for most of that year. IMO he still played well considering our lack of structure but obviously he didn't have the influence and spectacular games he had the year before. 2003 was a whitewash due to his back but his last few games back were very good IMO. 2004 was by far the poorest of the lot. He seemed disinterested like most of the team - did the tapwork and that was it. I partly blame playing under Spud and having skillless twits as teammates for that. The rest is Otto needing a kick up the backside like Richo got this time last year and Bowden received in round 6. I see his new contract offer and messages coming out of Miller and Wallace as Otto's kick up the backside. If he stays I'd reckon we'll see the real Otto next year; if he decides to leave then it's in our best interests anyway. We can't lose either way.

I agree with fwoy about giving Otto some slack. All this speculation now is just media driven. Let's wait until we hear from Otto himself. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2004, 10:14:35 PM »
The trouble with Otto is if he re-signs with us it will be for probably about 3 years.  What if he doesn't improve under Wallace and we miss the opportunity to probably get a pretty good trade for him.  He has to take a major pay cut if he stays - if not, bye bye.  Wish we could learn to let go of players and take advantage of situations like these.  I don't support the player, i support the club, and we really have to do what's in the long benefit of the club.  I say trade him and not risk seeing more of the same for another 3 years.

Jackstar

« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2004, 10:43:38 PM »
Agree Froars,it really is that simple .