Author Topic: Otto a man in demand  (Read 37930 times)

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
Re: Otto a man in demand
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2004, 10:05:46 AM »
Im glad if he goes! Clearly he is injury prone, and his grab for money is an insurance policy against this, the Tigers are once bitten twice shy, and so we should be!

Lets auction "The Big sexy" off and see what we can get for his sorry @rse!

Bring on 2005, better 3 young high draftees than some over paid hack who cant run, it might give a wakeup call to the other freeloaders on our list!

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2004, 10:42:55 AM »
if the club makes hard decisions, we will climb the ladder.

No doubt Jackstar.  And taking full advantage of the draft will make those hard decisions worthwhile.  No more short-term, quick fixes.

Richmond has been fearful of losing Ottens and, recognising that its big-men stocks would be severely depleted without him, has been a strong bidder for Fremantle's uncontracted ruckman-forward Troy Simmonds.

I was wondering, if it wasn’t for the fact that Otto is a ruck/kpp, would there be all this fuss about him, or would he be thought of in the same way as Fiora / Pettifer?
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Billy Nicholls

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2004, 11:09:00 AM »
Hey team,

Nice site, and my first post.

What's the whisper on Porter?  Has be been given the opportunities at the Blues/Roo's, and if not, it surely has not been due to injuries. 

Would come in handy as a backup for Staff in 2005, and wouldn't cost us the world.  Con's are that he's not a known forward.

Billy
Aaron Fiora must go.

froars

« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2004, 11:12:45 AM »
But if you have an employee that you have treated really well and as the employer you are happy with the job he/she is doing because they have done what you have asked of them wouldn't you expect a little loyalty in return???

Not sure i totally get this WP.  Are you saying Brad has done what he's been expected to do and the club should show some loyalty?

I don't think he's lived up to expectations, full stop, even before he got injured.  As Jack said, how many games has he won off his own boot?  Not many, and most of his good games were down forward when the Twin Towers created chaos for a couple of games.  We need more consistency out of our marquee players.  And when we don't get that, you have to question their value.  And Brad's only value at the moment is, sadly, not his playing ability, but his trade-worthiness!

Can we take loyalty out of the equation these days?  I think we can.  Is a very cut throat business now - both from clubs, players, player (scum) managers etc.  And when clubs do stay loyal to a player, is usually to acknowledge a player's past onfield deeds etc. which i don't think Brad has yet reached or ever will.

froars

« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2004, 11:17:36 AM »
Welcome to OER, Billy.

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2004, 11:31:44 AM »
Welcome Billy.

Has anyone heard the latest on Lance Franklin? I know he's been a bit of a ratbag, probably no more than our local resident gangster Zantuck, would he be worth considering?

Offline tigers80

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2004, 11:45:21 AM »
lance (buddy) franklin got all the equipment but not keen on going east, and at this stage i still think vic born and bred players way to go.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2004, 11:55:32 AM »

Not sure i totally get this WP.  Are you saying Brad has done what he's been expected to do and the club should show some loyalty?

No froars - I am saying Brad should show some loyalty not the Club. The Club are showing their loyalty by offering him another contract. I am not talking about expectations either I am talking about doing what he may have been asked to do.

I agree he has not delivered on his obvious ability, however.....

Let me try and explain. If the previuos coaching panel gave him speific instructions (whether they were the right ones is another topic all together) on match day and he has followed those instrustions and done everything that has been asked of him then he has done a good job to the level that his employer wanted and as a result is employer is offering him another contract.

My question is doesn't the employer in this case the RFC deserve some loyalty from Brad Ottens in return for everything they have done for him.

Can we take loyalty out of the equation these days?  I think we can.  Is a very cut throat business now - both from clubs, players, player (scum) managers etc.  And when clubs do stay loyal to a player, is usually to acknowledge a player's past onfield deeds etc. which i don't think Brad has yet reached or ever will.

I agree with you it is a cut throat business and in particular that player managers are scumbags. I also know I am old fashion but loyalty is important to me, even in business. And the truth is the RFC have rewarded Brad Ottens very well for a long time and I beleive he owes the RFC.

Having said allthat I don't think this is over yet not by a long way.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 12:03:55 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2004, 12:06:59 PM »
Hey team,

Welcome Billy  :thumbsup

What's the whisper on Porter?  Has be been given the opportunities at the Blues/Roo's, and if not, it surely has not been due to injuries. 

Would come in handy as a backup for Staff in 2005, and wouldn't cost us the world.  Con's are that he's not a known forward.

Billy

I wouldn't go for Porter - we need to find a young ruckman. If we have to trade for one I'd go with Jamar form Melbourne and here's my offer:

Jamar and Melbourne's 2nd round pick for either Fiora or Zantuck and Chaffey and our third round pick

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2004, 12:14:28 PM »
Welcome Billy (Blunder 8)) Nicholls.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2004, 12:20:09 PM »
Welcome Billy (Blunder 8)) Nicholls.

:o :o

Hey FF is it really the Blunder one for Y&B info???? It couldn't be could it  :bow :bow :bow

I read Y&B info daily ;)

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2004, 12:25:25 PM »
Party time!!!!

:cheers :thumbsup :cheers :thumbsup :bow :rollin :cheers

R.O'Keefe come on down !!!!!!!!!!!!
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2004, 12:30:35 PM »
I have no doubt WP. He's a star.
Now he's delisted he must be branching out. :)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2004, 12:53:59 PM »
Ottens quits Tigers
Fox Sports
September 24, 2004

RUCK-forward Brad Ottens has quit AFL club Richmond, accusing the Tigers of having lost faith in him.

Ottens, 24, will now seek an opportunity at another club after seven seasons at Punt Road and Geelong and Sydney are understood to be the clubs most desperate to attain him.

Ottens said Richmond had asked him to take a "substantial" pay cut and although he acknowledged his recent form was below his best, was not prepared to accept the proposed offer.

"The proposed reduction was above what he felt reasonable and indicated the club had lost faith in him," said a statement from his management Elite Sports Properties.

"I need a new environment to get the best out of myself and enjoy my football." Ottens said.

"This is purely a football decision which I believe is in my best interests."

Ottens played 129 games for Richmond but finished eighth in the 2004 best and fairest in a side that finished last and won only four games.

Ottens was the No.2 pick in the 1997 national draft and as a 202cm rucking option who can also play forward, will appeal to several clubs come next month's trade period.

The Swans, who want a back-up ruckman for Jason Ball, are understood to be one of his potential suitors along with Geelong, which needs a key forward.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #134 on: September 24, 2004, 01:17:13 PM »
RUCK-forward Brad Ottens has quit AFL club Richmond, accusing the Tigers of having lost faith in him.

You're right Brad I have lost faith in you. It happened at about 12.40pm today when I heard this crap excuse >:(

Ottens said Richmond had asked him to take a "substantial" pay cut and although he acknowledged his recent form was below his best, was not prepared to accept the proposed offer.

"The proposed reduction was above what he felt reasonable and indicated the club had lost faith in him," said a statement from his management Elite Sports Properties.

"I need a new environment to get the best out of myself and enjoy my football." Ottens said.

Yeah but it is not about money. Give me a break

So what you said back on August 29 - you know the bit about being a one club player, a Tiger - what was that exactly?  :banghead
 >:( >:(

« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 01:23:49 PM by WilliamPowell »