Author Topic: Otto a man in demand  (Read 37987 times)

froars

Re: Otto a man in demand
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2004, 10:48:03 PM »
Well, i figure it's like any business, if you recruited some highflyer based on reputation and seven years down the track he hasn't delivered the goods, you'd be giving him the heave-ho - certainly wouldn't be signing him to a long term, lucrative contract.
What's the difference with a footy club?

Jackstar

« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2004, 10:53:58 PM »
There is no difference.
May I be the first to congradulate you next time you reply as it will be 1000 posts. Well Done Froars ! :cheers

froars

« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2004, 11:00:09 PM »
Shucks Jackstar, i didn't even realise that - just goes to show i need to get a life  :rollin
But thanks anyway.

:birthday Happy Thousand to Me  :birthday lol

Offline tigers80

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2004, 02:37:39 AM »
well it looks like ottens is off, the age article seemed pretty strong.

he wants to rejuvenate his career, oh well we need to make it work for us.
hope that miller and walletman have backup plan as we need another ruckman, simmonds still doesnt appeal at this stage, seen alot of him over here in w.a. and to me he lacks the tensity or something.

god i hope we play hard ball with this, the thing that makes me a bit peeed is that he comes out publicily and says he wants to stay and confides to walletman he wants to stay, but now changed his mind.

i think young bradley has a problem telling the truth.

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2004, 03:16:23 AM »
Ottens to tell Tigers: 'I'm out'
By Jake Niall
September 24, 2004

Richmond ruckman-forward Brad Ottens will tell the Tigers today of his wish to leave Punt Road and continue his 129-game career elsewhere.

Ottens, 24, who is out of contract and the subject of frenzied bidding from rival clubs, has indicated he wishes to play with either Geelong or Sydney next year.

He will tell the Tigers of his desire to be traded today when he speaks with Richmond football director Greg Miller.

Ottens, who has been in Bali, will leave Melbourne for Thailand within 24 hours of telling Richmond of his wish to find another club.

Sources last night said that contrary to speculation, Ottens' motivation for seeking a new club was not so much the prospect of a reduced salary - cash-strapped Richmond has offered him a significant reduction to his present contract - but his desire to rejuvenate his football career.

He is also believed to be concerned that, with the bottom-of-the-ladder Tigers committed to a rebuilding of the list that might take a few years, he faces the prospect of spending more years at a struggling club; Richmond has played finals only once in his seven seasons at Tigerland.

The ruckman and sometime forward has struggled since he hurt his back in 2002 after a stellar 2001 season in which he booted 46 goals.

Richmond is unlikely to agree to trade Ottens without significant compensation because as the team holding first pick in the pre-season draft (for uncontracted players), the Tigers can draft him back should he threaten to walk through to the pre-season draft. Ottens could, however, put a price on his head that would make it difficult for Richmond to re-draft him.

Whether he ultimately nominates Geelong or Sydney as his preferred destination, Ottens will get to his chosen club only via a trade.

Richmond has been fearful of losing Ottens and, recognising that its big-men stocks would be severely depleted without him, has been a strong bidder for Fremantle's uncontracted ruckman-forward Troy Simmonds.

Geelong midfielder David Spriggs has requested a trade to another club, but will be retained by the Cats if they are unable to strike a deal.

The Cats yesterday confirmed that Spriggs had reached "a mutual agreement" that he seek a new club, while they have offered one-year deals to veterans Ben Graham, Peter Riccardi and Brenton Sanderson.

Graham, Sanderson and Riccardi all have indicated their desire to continue their careers for at least another season.

The future of St Kilda veterans Justin Peckett and Andrew Thompson might not be settled until next month's trade period, while the club will hold further talks with Heath Black's management to determine whether he will remain at Moorabbin next year.

The Saints also are confident of re-contracting Luke Ball within a few days after his management met coach Grant Thomas yesterday.

Essendon has re-signed Damian Cupido to a one-year contract after a disappointing 2003. Cupido booted 36 goals for the Bombers in an encouraging first year at Essendon, but fell away this year following an early-season knee injury.
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2004, 03:38:05 AM »
Now that's music to my ears! One less invertebrate on our list!

A first and second (or third round) pick from either Geelong or Sydney should suffice.

Farewell Nottens, and thanks for establishing a big reputation which should see us land a couple of good players for your useless self! 

froars

« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2004, 07:08:06 AM »
Bradley, when you say you want to play for a successful club, remember the name Nathan Buckley leaving Brisbane to play for the Pies.
I hope it bites you on your bony arsse lol

Offline shawry

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2004, 07:34:38 AM »
Bradley, when you say you want to play for a successful club, remember the name Nathan Buckley leaving Brisbane to play for the Pies.
I hope it bites you on your bony arsse lol

Good point Froars.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2004, 08:04:10 AM »
the thing that makes me a bit peeed is that he comes out publicily and says he wants to stay and confides to walletman he wants to stay, but now changed his mind.

Ditto tigers80.

In the immortal words of one Pauline Hanson, Brad.....PLEASE EXPLAIN
If the Age article is true .........  >:(
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 08:09:09 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2004, 08:12:33 AM »
Well, i figure it's like any business, if you recruited some highflyer based on reputation and seven years down the track he hasn't delivered the goods, you'd be giving him the heave-ho - certainly wouldn't be signing him to a long term, lucrative contract.
What's the difference with a footy club?

Fair call froars.

But if you have an employee that you have treated really well and as the employer you are happy with the job he/she is doing because they have done what you have asked of them wouldn't you expect a little loyalty in return???

PS:

At the end of the day I may have a signed Brad Ottens Jumper for sale  :'( :'( ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 08:14:58 AM by WilliamPowell »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2004, 08:34:57 AM »

This is out of his mouth on August 29...

He said he had met new coach Terry Wallace and was keen to end his career as a one-club player.

"Hopefully, we can get it all sorted out as soon as possible," Ottens said.

"I would be rapt to stay in Melbourne and hopefully we can get it all organised as soon as possible and get on with training and thinking about 2005.

"It's my main priority. Staying my whole career at one club is pretty important to me and I'd love to stay a Tiger."

And this is where I have a problem and very big problem - PLEASE EXPLAIN

Jackstar

« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2004, 09:10:16 AM »
I will be totally amazed if he stays, totally

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2004, 09:22:18 AM »
I will be totally amazed if he stays, totally

I am just about resigned to him leaving now. Though if he wants to go - I'd be making sure the deals a good one - if it aint I wouldn't be trading. I would think Geelong has more to offer us that Sydney.

Great point froars -  and what about Leigh Colbert? He left Geelong, chose North for finals and they haven't played in that many since he's been there.

On another issue that relates to this saga ....

And can anyone give a few pointers on how I explain to my niece why her favourite player (the guy in the photo) cannot be her favourite player anymore?  :-[

Just planning ahead

Jackstar

« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2004, 09:43:20 AM »
if the club makes hard decisions, we will climb the ladder.
hard decsions were made in 1994 when we traded our captain at the time and we made the finals next year. lets see what happens next year

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2004, 10:05:40 AM »
Im glad if he goes! Clearly he is injury prone, and his grab for money is an insurance policy against this, the Tigers are once bitten twice shy, and so we should be!

Lets auction "The Big sexy" off and see what we can get for his sorry @rse!

Bring on 2005, better 3 young high draftees than some over paid hack who cant run, it might give a wakeup call to the other freeloaders on our list!