Author Topic: Otto a man in demand  (Read 37915 times)

froars

Re: Otto a man in demand
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2004, 02:37:07 PM »
Sorry to hear earning more than six times the average wage for 22 weeks
Fwoysie lol, i think Brad his first game this year round 11 - so 11 games x six times average wage  :(

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Greg Miller on Ottens from RFC Site
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2004, 02:45:05 PM »
An open letter to Richmond members and supporters from the Club’s Director of Football, Greg Miller
1:53:06 PM Fri 24 September, 2004
richmondfc.com.au

This morning I met with Brad Ottens and his management team and was informed that he wishes to be traded from the Richmond Football Club.

While we are genuinely disappointed with Brad’s decision, we also see this as a great opportunity to make some significant, exciting changes to our playing list.

It has been well documented that Brad has been paid on potential by our club for a long period of time. The new offer that we put to him for the next 2-3 years was reflective of where he’s at in his football career.

Brad also has received very handsome offers from at least two league clubs.

Richmond is in charge and will not be pressured by other clubs into paying over the odds to re-sign our own.

We have always cared very well for Brad and looked after his best interests. There can be no argument from Brad’s camp that our care, interest and development has not been first class.

So, whatever you may hear or read, Richmond is not to blame for Brad’s decision to leave Punt Road.

It’s most important that Tiger members and fans understand these circumstances because we need your support now as we turn this situation into a major positive for us.

Brad was our No. 1 pick ( and No. 2 overall) in the 1997 National AFL Draft and since then we’ve spent considerable time and money in nurturing his talent to a point where he’s ready to produce his best football over the next few seasons.

Whichever club reaps the reward of our efforts will pay handsomely for that right.

Let’s put this in perspective . . . Brad is the hottest trade choice that I can ever remember in league football. We’re talking about a ruckman/forward who has played more than 120 games, was an All-Australian representative in 2001, and is still only 24 years of age. He has the ability to become one of the game’s absolute top-liners – and that’s the price someone’s going to have to pay for his services.

Early draft choices are what we’d be looking at for an exchange. In a year where we’ve already got selections 1, 4 and 20, we’re keen to further bolster our stocks of young talent with more early picks.

Let’s also understand that if a suitable offer is not forthcoming to trade Brad, then we will reserve our right to re-sign him, or take him in the pre-season draft.

Obviously, if Brad is to be traded, then we must bring in a readymade big player, as well as draft choices, to fill the void. I can assure Richmond supporters that contingency plans are in place.

We have agreed to a new one-year deal with Greg Stafford and we are working hard behind the scenes to ensure that we won’t be disadvantaged.

The Richmond Football Club will use this as a launching pad to add some outstanding youth to those developed over the last couple of years at Tigerland.

I’m sure all members of the Yellow and Black faith are going to follow the upcoming trade period with a lot of interest. I will keep you informed . . .

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=172784
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2004, 02:54:03 PM »
LMFAOOOOOO@Miller offering him 200,000k a year and telling him he is overrated and then talking him up as the biggest trade ever.  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 02:56:14 PM by JohnF »

froars

« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2004, 02:57:37 PM »
Think i read somewhere Weaver said if we try and redraft him and he doesn't want to come back, it will be off to the courts under restraint of trade.
 :(

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2004, 02:58:13 PM »
Don't rule out Jackstar's original post re going to the Pies - word is it's on in a big way, as in he will put such a high price on his head the other two clubs won't be able to compete.

Ok, so the positives is the Footy Show will die officially next year with such personalities as Nottens and Cloke on the panel with Nafan... :thumbsup

You can't be serious Fwoy3.  Didn't you see the Cloke's routine of the Wiggles last night?  Must see viewing I would've thought. :P
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2004, 02:59:16 PM »
I think it's pretty much guaranteed the side the supporters will take. Anybody who has followed this team for the last 10-15 (or more) years will realise that the animals have run the enclosure. It is now time to see the Keepers put them in their place. If it means chopping down the biggest egos to make the others realise who is in charge, then I suppport it 100%.

My disappointment lies in the fact that Brad said he wanted to be a one-team player, wanted to be a part of the rebuilding of this great club, and was aware that he had underperformed, and wasn't worth the money he was being paid. Doesn't look that way now...the air must be different up there Brad. Twenty-four years old eh? How does it feel to know you've just made 30,000+ enemies?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 03:02:46 PM by Fwoy3 »
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2004, 03:04:28 PM »
Softens can go and join those weak pricks collingwood.  As we are in a rebuilding phase this is a good thing.  He has inhereted a losing mentality and we need to rid ourselves of this.  Hopefully we can get a top 10 draft pick and a good promising youngster who has 2-3 years under his belt.  This is the right move forward.  Onwards and forwards.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2004, 03:14:48 PM »
Think i read somewhere Weaver said if we try and redraft him and he doesn't want to come back, it will be off to the courts under restraint of trade.
 :(

This is correct froars - I asked Weaver about this very thing on BF this morning. He said the AFL can block us re-drafting him because if we do re-draft him it would be considered a restraint of trade because he wants to go.

My disappointment lies in the fact that Brad said he wanted to be a one-team player, wanted to be a part of the rebuilding of this great club, and was aware that he had underperformed, and wasn't worth the money he was being paid. Doesn't look that way now...the air must be different up there Brad. Twenty-four years old eh? How does it feel to know you've just made 30,000+ enemies?

Your disappointment Fwoy3 - my anger - I agree with you 200%

He has let a lot of people down with this decision and I am not just talking about the RFC but those of us who  have supported him unconditionally. :banghead

After reading his statement he certainly is full of contridictions. :-\

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2004, 03:18:44 PM »
Richmond is in charge and will not be pressured by other clubs into paying over the odds to re-sign our own.

:thumbsup

It’s most important that Tiger members and fans understand these circumstances because we need your support now as we turn this situation into a major positive for us.

No complaints here Mr. Miller.  Do your stuff.

Early draft choices are what we’d be looking at for an exchange. In a year where we’ve already got selections 1, 4 and 20, we’re keen to further bolster our stocks of young talent with more early picks.

The Richmond Football Club will use this as a launching pad to add some outstanding youth to those developed over the last couple of years at Tigerland.

:birthday :thumbsup :cheers :thumbsup
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Jackstar

« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2004, 03:33:29 PM »
You will find his management has already spoken to the Hawks and the Bulldogs.
mail is that he wants Megabucks first year that puts both of these clubs out of the picture.
Next in line is , you guessed the PIES who will offered him the ""Bank ""
Now ,if Brads says yep, that will do, we get nothing for him.
lets hope Sydney and Geelong can match or better the pies offer otherwise we lose out !We will get no draft picks or no players for him

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #160 on: September 24, 2004, 03:36:54 PM »

:thumbsup

Double  :thumbsup :thumbsup. It's about time the RFC stood up to not only other clubs but those scumbag Player managers.

onya Greg Miller and Terry Wallace :bow :bow :thumbsup :thumbsup

« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 04:34:32 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2004, 04:13:31 PM »
LMFAOOOOOO@Miller offering him 200,000k a year and telling him he is overrated and then talking him up as the biggest trade ever.  :thumbsup

:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Stafford on a one-year..................IM FOR THAT!!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

I say good luck and get out......Id take Tarrant and a pick....or O'Keefe and a pick.....
stuff we have done alright out of this. Remember Ottens still is going on potential value so lets not think we can go nuts here....

Im loving this.....first pick in both drafts.....and the hottest commodity on the trade market....Its like eating pizza sitting back watching the 88 game against the Blues with Pym kicking them from everyone in the last while she is down there having a crack......

To quote my man JT....Im loving it babababababa
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

froars

« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2004, 04:37:36 PM »
Jack, if he wants to be traded to the Pies, there goes the theory he wants to play at a successful club and not going for the money.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 04:59:19 PM by froars »

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #163 on: September 24, 2004, 04:57:58 PM »
We must do a deal with Sydney or Adelaide as they will be able to afford him.  And it must be done early in the trade week because if we waste too much time and the deadline is reached without a deal, then we will lose him for nothing.  Miller must get into contact with Adelaide and Sydney asap and start negotiations.  The last thing I want to see is him going to those maggot pie pricks for nothing via the PSD.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Ox

« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2004, 06:02:51 PM »
What a little, ungreatful ctun of a bloke.