Author Topic: Cotchin out until round 8  (Read 3534 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin out until round 8
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:43:31 AM »
Key Richmond pair likely to miss early matches
Michael Gleeson | March 11, 2009

WHILE Richmond has thrilled to the arrival of Ben Cousins, the stargazing has overshadowed the significant early season absences of two similarly crucial players.

Rising midfield star Trent Cotchin is battling to overcome an Achilles injury and is unlikely to play for the senior side before round eight.

Cotchin (and Johnson) are likely to return through the VFL.

The Cotchin injury has been the more difficult for the Tigers for not only does it concern one of their most important midfield players, it has been a difficult injury in measuring rehabilitation times.

The Tigers hope Cotchin will available for the VFL side by about round three or four and play two or three games before being available for the seniors.

"It's very difficult to be definitive with Trent's injury," Richmond football operations manager Ross Monaghan said. "It's really a matter of how his body responds to training.

"It seems to have been a case of a couple of steps forward, one step sideways. So we will see how he goes from here but all indications are that we would hope he is available for the VFL side by about round three or four then probably have a few in the VFL … But it is still very difficult to be definitive."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/tiger-pair-likely-absentees/2009/03/10/1236447218141.html

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cotchin out until round 8
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 02:24:35 AM »
The most exciting young talent to walk through the doors in years and he's lame.

What is that now 4 or 5 months since he's run?

Bloody hell. :( :( :(

richmondrules

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:05:21 AM »
In a few years time all this Achilles stuff will be ancient history. He'll be 21 and starting to fire on all cylinders and we will all be sitting back and basking in the glory.

It is damn frustrating though I'll give you that.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:32:40 AM »
Should never have been allowed to train so heavily away from the club.
Ridiculous..
It's very frustrating....

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 11:37:49 AM »
In a few years time all this Achilles stuff will be ancient history.

I certainly hope you're right..

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 12:37:31 PM »
Does this make Cotch a nine year player for us now  :-\

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 02:55:18 PM »
Cotch is still not doing anything at training. Not even any running  :-\.

Sounds like a repeat of last year where he didn't come into the senior side until the first Geelong game in round 9. As long as when he does come back he's right to go then that's the main thing. He's only 18.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin still sidelined by troublesome achilles (RFC)
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 05:02:28 PM »
Cotchin still sidelined by troublesome achilles
richmondfc.com.au
By Luke Holmesby
4:04 PM Wed 11 March, 2009

EXCITING Richmond teenager Trent Cotchin says over-eagerness at training was the main cause of the achilles injury that has sidelined him for the start of the home-and-away season.

Midfielder Cotchin is not expected to play football at any level until at least round three after battling for much of the summer with the injury in his left leg.

After being taken by the Tigers as the No.2 pick overall in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft, this is Cotchin’s second interrupted pre-season, after his right achilles kept him out of football until round eight last year.

“I think the injury I had (last year) needs routine and probably two or three runs a week. I was doing four or five at times in the off-season.,” he said.

“That’s probably where it’s come from and it’s my fault and I’ve learnt that now. I won’t be doing that in another off-season anymore.”

Cotchin said the injury first flared in a beach run in the first week of the pre-season and that he did not manage his body well when he experienced soreness in the area before Christmas.

“They were a little bit precautious and took me back but it just got worse and worse. I tried to run in early January and got sore again,” he said.

“I’ve done a lot of strength work since December and feel really strong through the legs - it’s just the matter of the tendon coping with the load.”

The 18-year-old says he has still managed to build his fitness base, despite being sidelined. After a late start to his debut season in 2008, Cotchin still managed to play the last 15 games.

‘I was pretty positive when it (the injury) first happened, thinking I’m probably ahead of last year, and it is the opposite leg and hopefully won’t take long,” he said.

“I’ve learnt from last year but to keep on getting setbacks has been quite frustrating. There’s a lot of frustration in the game and I’m just trying to cope as best I can.

“Last year in the off-season I was on crutches, so I’ve got a fair base behind me. The training I have been doing I’ve got a fair bit of confidence in.

"You’d much prefer to be running but I feel I will be able to cope pretty well. I seem to pick up the pace of the game reasonably quickly so, once I get three or four matches under my belt, that will be the match fitness I need.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/73085/default.aspx

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 05:06:06 PM »
Should never have been allowed to train so heavily away from the club.
Ridiculous..
It's very frustrating....
Kids in the system can't win, they're critisised if they are not doing enough and critisised if they do too much, gimme a break

Luke Hodge had plenty of injury troubles in his first few years too, don't think people are too concerned about that now

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 05:14:39 PM »
On the bright side Cotch can be our secret weapon we can unleash mid year.Just hope we are in the mix when he is ready to go.
Based on last year this kid doesn't need much of a pre season to be a star.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 05:56:41 PM »
On the bright side Cotch can be our secret weapon we can unleash mid year.Just hope we are in the mix when he is ready to go.
Based on last year this kid doesn't need much of a pre season to be a star.

your positive thoughts are great for footy, but the RFC have not got a clue how to manage footballers.

This is our most prized recruit in decades and he roams around doing his own thing, and TW and his croonies stand by and watch him train on his own.

He should have been wrapped up in cotton wool and allowed to train ONLY on instruction.

From Round 2 return to now Round 8.

Dont kid yourself he wont be back in 10 weeks.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 06:23:55 PM »
your positive thoughts are great for footy, but the RFC have not got a clue how to manage footballers.

This is our most prized recruit in decades and he roams around doing his own thing, and TW and his croonies stand by and watch him train on his own.

He should have been wrapped up in cotton wool and allowed to train ONLY on instruction.

Give me a break - they stood by and let him do it. They cannot watch them 24 hours a day 7 days a week

He went off along with a couple of others (Jack Reiwodlt was one IIRC) and they trained by themselves and this is the club fault ???

What were the Club supposed to do?

Lock them a house for 8 weeks and only let them out on lead for walk him when they can by to check on them?

How do you know that he wasn't given instructions on what to do and what not to do and he didn't follow them.

You know maybe he did a bit of training the achilles felt OK so he stepped it up a bit.

He even says as much in the article:

"That’s probably where it’s come from and it’s my fault and I’ve learnt that now. I won’t be doing that in another off-season anymore"

Nah it couldn't have happened like that could it  ::)

:thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 07:30:21 PM »
and TW and his croonies stand by

Does TW have a bunch of 70's singers following him around

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 08:10:33 PM »

Give me a break - they stood by and let him do it. They cannot watch them 24 hours a day 7 days a week

He went off along with a couple of others (Jack Reiwodlt was one IIRC) and they trained by themselves and this is the club fault ???

What were the Club supposed to do?

Lock them a house for 8 weeks and only let them out on lead for walk him when they can by to check on them?

How do you know that he wasn't given instructions on what to do and what not to do and he didn't follow them.

You know maybe he did a bit of training the achilles felt OK so he stepped it up a bit.

He even says as much in the article:

"That’s probably where it’s come from and it’s my fault and I’ve learnt that now. I won’t be doing that in another off-season anymore"

Nah it couldn't have happened like that could it  ::)

:thumbsup

Typical excuses i have come to expect

lets hope it doesn't end up like Cogs. Gee the club really managed him well didn't they?
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 09:09:38 PM »
Typical excuses i have come to expect

lets hope it doesn't end up like Cogs. Gee the club really managed him well didn't they?

Cogs  :o - 2 knee reco's and that's the club's fault too. Exactly what was the problem with the way they handled him?

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)