Author Topic: Changes for next week against Geelong?  (Read 6234 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Changes for next week against Geelong?
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2009, 01:09:46 PM »
Richo I think may have had his day on the wing. Think its time to settle him at FF again.  Teams have done a lot of homework on him and are hurting us offensively.   

I'd play Richo at FF to free up Jack and/or Jay

With Richo ar FF he gets Scarlett, their number 1 defender

Harry Taylor would then likely go to Jack or Jay - gives them an easier match up
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2009, 01:18:52 PM »
Richo I think may have had his day on the wing. Think its time to settle him at FF again.  Teams have done a lot of homework on him and are hurting us offensively.   

I'd play Richo at FF to free up Jack and/or Jay

With Richo ar FF he gets Scarlett, their number 1 defender

Harry Taylor would then likely go to Jack or Jay - gives them an easier match up

Like you're thinking WP. Makes us unpredictable again which was one of the strengths of moving Richo to the wing in the first place. Just need to ensure the midfielders are instructed to look for other options OTHER than Richo up forward before they go to hime. His kicking has been terrible this year and this will keep the defenders guessing too.

Stripes

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2009, 02:44:22 PM »
if richo plays FF, scarlett wil own him again. scarlett would also run off him and become a loose man for the cats as we know richo wont run with him in hope a turnover eventuates and he gets a cheap goal.

richo must play hff, finish his career where he began, with a licence to run . richo needs room to move, he hates being bottled up at ff.  also when richo plays at ff, we just bomb it long to him without looking at other options, richo get triple teamed and very frustrated.

ff is a bad spot for the cho imo

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2009, 04:09:47 PM »
Waite did well on Richo last year too in our centenary game. It appears he is the one opposition player who has the athleticism and height to go with the big fella on the wing. So I wouldn't be throwing out the idea of Richo on the wing based on one game and one opponent. We know Richo permanently at FF doesn't work as our mids ignore our other forwards.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2009, 04:14:43 PM »
Waite did well on Richo last year too in our centenary game. It appears he is the one opposition player who has the athleticism and height to go with the big fella on the wing. So I wouldn't be throwing out the idea of Richo on the wing based on one game and one opponent. We know Richo permanently at FF doesn't work as our mids ignore our other forwards.

Good post MT.

Yeah let's panic and revert to kick it to Richo again. It's been so successful for the past 15 years. :P :P

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2009, 04:26:03 PM »
The problem with Richo now is that, despite he being a massive offensive weapon for the team, he is also a major defensive flaw. Opposition teams are now exploiting his lack of accountability and hurting us the other way. Of course the opposition needs a player that would hurt us in the first place that can line up on Richo but in effect Richo is becoming a loose player allowing the opposition to have a loose player in return.

Last year when Bowden and Petts were dropped, they were sent to the Burgers as an example because they did not tackle. Richo was another player who was equally poor defensively who did not tackle at the time. The excuse was made for Richo though that he was such an offensive weapon that he brought more to the team that way so compensated for the defensive downfall. I don't feel this is right. Everyone from the oldest and/or best player all the way to the youngest should follow the same standards IMO.

I don't think Richo should become our sole FF for rotating him through the position and freeing up players such as Riewoldt and Schulz would not be a bad thing. If Scarlett runs off him then Richo will have to run with him, full stop or our loose man in defence will have to make up the slack but I think this is once again sending the wrong message.

Regardless of where he plays Richo needs to be more accountable for the teams sack.

Stripes

Con65

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2009, 04:35:01 PM »

Generally I would agree but Buddy can do it for Hawthorn, Pavlich can do it for Freo, Geelong dont need to worry about Richo cos their midfield is supreme, Bombers may use a Ryder, Bulldogs may use an Everitt doing the same thing....etc...Anyone who is tall and athletic and can run.

I do agree that we dont go back to richo at FF...the hff is a better possie probably...or just leave him there on the wing and instruct him to chase and tackle like the other 21 guys in the team...If his man starts doing a "Waite" on him, tell the Cho to go to FF (as much as we dont like it - Waite would have been out of his element at FB)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2009, 04:47:10 PM »

Regardless of where he plays Richo needs to be more accountable for the teams sack.

He's never played that way and is not about to start. WYSIWYG.

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2009, 05:48:35 PM »
Out. Raines Cousins Edwards ,Tambling ,McMahon and Schulz

In. Anyone who wants to attack the football and not zone off and get uncontested possesions, and anyone who is prepared to kick the ball more than 20 metres
Damn
I thought you were calling me up Jack, until i saw the part about being able to kick more than 20 metres

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2009, 05:59:11 PM »
We know Richo permanently at FF doesn't work as our mids ignore our other forwards.

I am not suggesting we play richo at FF from now until he hangs up his boots

I am suggesting it for this week. It is also about how we play Richo at FF and what plan we use

Now if it was up to me the plan would be this:

Plonk the big bloke at FF. Instruct our mids to honour the first 2 Richo leads no matter what, ensure that our crumbers are somewhere around these contests. two things are likely to happen Richo marks the bloody thing or brings it ground (actually there is 3 - it could be kicked over his head ;D) As is usually the case with the opposition they are likely then to stick 2 blokes on Richo for all contests, this should free up others to create other leading targets, our mids should then use the other options, Richo becomes an decoy option only until the opposition cottons on ... and then we can go back to kicking it to Richo in a one on one contest which he is liklely to win 8 times out of 10...

Simple really  ;D

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2009, 06:14:47 PM »
We know Richo permanently at FF doesn't work as our mids ignore our other forwards.

I am suggesting it for this week. It is also about how we play Richo at FF and what plan we use

Plonk the big bloke at FF. Instruct our mids to honour the first 2 Richo leads no matter what, ensure that our crumbers are somewhere around these contests. two things are likely to happen Richo marks the bloody thing or brings it ground (actually there is 3 - it could be kicked over his head ;D) As is usually the case with the opposition they are likely then to stick 2 blokes on Richo for all contests, this should free up others to create other leading targets, our mids should then use the other options, Richo becomes an decoy option only until the opposition cottons on ... and then we can go back to kicking it to Richo in a one on one contest which he is liklely to win 8 times out of 10...

Simple really  ;D

HF: Brown Jack White/Tambling
FF: Nahas Richo Morton

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2009, 10:01:14 PM »

Simple really  ;D
It does sound so logical WP ;D. The problem is our mids have never known how to use Richo as a decoy when they should do. They still kick to Richo when he has 4 opponents hanging off him  :P.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2009, 10:13:46 PM »
Generally I would agree but Buddy can do it for Hawthorn, Pavlich can do it for Freo, Geelong dont need to worry about Richo cos their midfield is supreme, Bombers may use a Ryder, Bulldogs may use an Everitt doing the same thing....etc...Anyone who is tall and athletic and can run.

I do agree that we dont go back to richo at FF...the hff is a better possie probably...or just leave him there on the wing and instruct him to chase and tackle like the other 21 guys in the team...If his man starts doing a "Waite" on him, tell the Cho to go to FF (as much as we dont like it - Waite would have been out of his element at FB)
I can see what you Con and WP are getting at and they are fair points but IMO Carlton were able to exploit Richo because our whole midfield and backline were getting smashed and kept turning over the ball especially when under no physical pressure which gifted goals to the Blues. We could not get the ball forward in a coherent fashion to make Waite or any of the Carlton mids accountable. They didn't need to be as they were getting first to the ball. Why run back when the opposition are only getting the ball inside 50 eight times a quarter and the ball is in your forward half for majority of the game as it was for Carlton.

If we find by round 5 that even with us lifting our game as a team to the standard required that Richo's direct opponent each week is creating havoc then obviously a change will have to be made but I wouldn't do it yet based on the debacle of round 1. That's all I'm saying.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2009, 11:45:13 PM »
from what has been said so far ...

Bowden will play ... (he did the media interviews, would look silly if he was dropped)

Nahas In, Graham In (i think Browne should play)

i would like to see Thomson play before Hislop, but looks like Hislop will play.

great to see Rance, looks like Rance is In.

Happy to hear McMahon under pressure, and looks like he will be dropped.

Cousins and Raines we know about.

In: Nahas, Graham, Rance, Hislop

Out: McMahon, Browne, Cousins, Raines

would like to see Polo in for Edwards, and Thomson in for Jackson.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2009, 07:57:50 AM »
i would like to see Thomson play before Hislop, but looks like Hislop will play.

Thompson didn't play for Coburg on the weekend torch..... obviously some sort of injury so he isn't an option

I reckon Polo will get a gig ...well he should get a game..