Author Topic: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]  (Read 45672 times)

Jackstar is back

Re: ITS TIME TO GO THE TANK- ITS OUR ONLY HOPE!
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2009, 07:31:11 AM »
Actually there was forward structure in the first half, although not over tall.
2nd half it fell to bits and players push back behind the  ball trying to stop the onslaught instead of playing attacking footy like the first half.
That aint the players fault :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2009, 08:41:21 AM »
Actually there was forward structure in the first half, although not over tall.
2nd half it fell to bits and players push back behind the  ball trying to stop the onslaught instead of playing attacking footy like the first half.
That aint the players fault :banghead
It is when they all stop running and working together. It's kind of hard to play attacking footy when the opposition get on top in the midfield because the intensity and pressure of the whole side has fallen away to a non-existent level and you need to set up every attack from the backline even if you get the ball back. The players got to play the way they wanted this week and we still weren't good enough to play anymore than 2.5 quarters of decent footy nor score as many goals as we should've in the first half to build an unasailable lead. The smaller forward line structure only worked in the first half because we were dominating in the midfield clearances which allowed our forward line to remain open. Once the midfield started evening up we needed bigger and taller marking options up forward to keep up playing long and direct.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2009, 04:05:51 PM »
Worsfold today has admitted the Eagles are tanking ....

But Worsfold said such losses were inevitable as West Coast's looks to fast-track itself into premiership contention just two-and-a-half seasons after it's 2006 triumph.

"It's going to take a little bit of patience from people to understand where we’re going," Worsfold said from Subiaco Oval on Tuesday.

"If they want to have a side that might finish ninth or tenth for five years in a row, we could manufacture that, but if they want a team that could potentially win a premiership within five or six years of their previous premiership, then that's what we're aiming for.

"We've got a strong focus on that and we're prepared to wear some pain heading towards that.

"We've got a big picture of more imminent success than just being a run of the mill side for a long period."

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=77605

Offline sabartooth

• Big Griff's Official Mentor !
  • Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2009, 04:30:04 PM »
wooshers got the right philosophy, but on a different note who knows about this years draft talent and what do we target. kpp !
2 years into a 35 year plan

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2009, 04:52:02 PM »

Good luck with that Eagles.

You have to play us twice and Melbourne once more!!  :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Ox

« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2009, 04:55:54 PM »
SEN say we wont get the picks even if we tank because of last years wins...

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2009, 04:58:31 PM »
Sounds like we want to win though OE. We will end up getting on a great roll and win the last 6 or 7 to finish the season around 10th - 14th and @#$% our last chance to rebuild in an uncompromised draft.

Why won't the club learn. Surely even a blindman can see we need more quality players if we don't want to finish around 9th until doomsday.  :banghead

Stripes

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2009, 04:59:50 PM »

We won't get a priority pick in the first round but we will in the second round giving us 3 picks in the top 20 at the least.

Ox

« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2009, 05:14:58 PM »
Thanks Stripes.

It's not my area of expertise  :P

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2009, 08:14:26 PM »

We won't get a priority pick in the first round but we will in the second round giving us 3 picks in the top 20 at the least.

And I reckon that is all we need - even if it is pick 2, 18 and 19.
List is not as bad as it appears. Get Longmire.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ramps

« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2009, 09:19:23 PM »

2, 18, 19, 35 and 51 (or wherever the picks fall around those numbers) we should use on youngsters in the draft. Whilst many underestimate the draft coming, its not as bad as many are making out, and we could find a decent player even at 35, pick 51 is always a risky pick, but we need to use it anyway. Any picks anywhere in the middle of 2 and 50 that we can grab from other clubs should also be used.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2009, 09:45:44 PM »

2, 18, 19, 35 and 51 (or wherever the picks fall around those numbers) we should use on youngsters in the draft. Whilst many underestimate the draft coming, its not as bad as many are making out, and we could find a decent player even at 35, pick 51 is always a risky pick, but we need to use it anyway. Any picks anywhere in the middle of 2 and 50 that we can grab from other clubs should also be used.
Add a trade - player for a pick (late 2nd rounder for example) - and that'll make 5 picks in the top 35. You then don't have to worry about how deep this draft is. It'll then be up to the list manager and recruiters in conjunction with the new coach to get it right this time around.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2009, 10:26:39 PM »
No matter what the pick numbers are it is still a bit of a lottery - and some will just not work out

having said that - if the focus is youth the age of our list will shrink even more. We actually have a very young list if you take out the 30+ blokes

I actually did some number crunching and was surprised to find that the average age of our list @ 30/4/09 taking out the 6 old blokes  ;D (30+ ers) is 22.078 years.

Include the old blokes and it makes the average age 23.294 years.

Dig a bit deeper and if you take out the 4 blokes who are 26+ then the average age falls to around 21.3 years.

If go deep in the draft only taking kids then we could be around the 20-21 y.o. average.

If thats what we all want then the climb upwards will take time we need to be prepared for that and dare I say it be patient  again ;D :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2009, 10:40:34 PM »

But Worsfold said such losses were inevitable as West Coast's looks to fast-track itself into premiership contention just two-and-a-half seasons after it's 2006 triumph.

"It's going to take a little bit of patience from people to understand where we’re going," Worsfold said from Subiaco Oval on Tuesday.

"If they want to have a side that might finish ninth or tenth for five years in a row, we could manufacture that, but if they want a team that could potentially win a premiership within five or six years of their previous premiership, then that's what we're aiming for.

"We've got a strong focus on that and we're prepared to wear some pain heading towards that.

"We've got a big picture of more imminent success than just being a run of the mill side for a long period."

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=77605
Worsfold would know he'll have the full support of the whole club from the President and Board to the Footy manager and recruiters. They've been rebuilding for the past 2 years and this will be their 3rd rebuilding draft.

2007 draft:  3, 13, 20, 22 + gained Josh Kennedy in the Judd trade.
2008 draft: 2, 18, 20, 36, 52

So the Eagles have gained 7 top 25 draftees to just our 2 in the past two drafts.

In 2006 despite winning the flag they still upgraded picks (traded fringe tall McDougall to the Dogs, Gardiner to Saints) and then used all their picks - 16, 29, 43, 50, 80. The Eagles understand that the National Draft is the best chance each club has of accessing the most talented youngsters each year and that you don't trade your picks away while in a rebuilding phase.

Compare that to the bozos at Richmond who after 23 drafts still don't get it trading away picks for fringe players and keep giving out mixed messages from the top down because we have no clear policy, direction and leadership as far as our footy division and recruiting goes :banghead. If the Club wanted to do something radically bold it would not only plan to finish bottom this year but also use the new coach's honeymoon first year to clear out the oldies at the end of the season and with the youngest side and list in 2010 finish with just 4 wins to gain the pre-first round priority pick ahead of the Gold Coast's first 5 picks. That would give us picks 1 and 7 while the majority of existing clubs miss out on a top 20 pick altogether. This adds 5 more top 20 quality juniors to our list including 2 young guns (name the last dud No.1 pick). Our existing young core won't peak until 2012-13 (Cotchin will be only 22, Lids 25) so by then no one will care that we were crap in 2009-10 when we finally have a strong list with no age gaps and are playing finals.

MT sits and waits for people to freak out lol :outtahere.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2009, 10:43:38 PM »
Our current side is now built on the back of the young players not the senior players so I don't feel the climb to the top will be hindered in any way. In the past losing Simmonds was disasterous, similiarly Browns injury stole our season away. Losing Richo, Bowden, Johnson and even Pettifer would have spelt the end of our year but today we do not rely upon them.

If all of our 30+ were to finish playing today it would have little to no effect to our side and if we want to get really brutal, losing Pettifier, Tuck and Newman would not have a huge impact either.

Bodes well for the future really.

Stripes