Author Topic: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]  (Read 45658 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: ITS TIME TO GO THE TANK- ITS OUR ONLY HOPE!
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2009, 11:00:22 PM »
Really thats twice now we have finished on the ladder higher than we are actually tallented. We should have finished botom 3 last year with no more than 4 wins. I mean Carlton walked away with Gibbs, Murphy, Kruz (although I think Cotch is better) and someone else by consistantly remaining on the bottom.

I just hope if we finish bottom the Eagles and Melbourne win 5 or more games otherwise we could be screwed because they recruited very well last year.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2009, 11:02:34 PM »
No matter what the pick numbers are it is still a bit of a lottery - and some will just not work out
No 1. picks have been more certain though this decade - Kreuzer, Gibbs, Murphy, Deledio, Cooney, Goddard, Hodge and Riewoldt. Watts will be a good player too as he develops. Top 1-2 picks are gold and our two best young players came from them.

having said that - if the focus is youth the age of our list will shrink even more. We actually have a very young list if you take out the 30+ blokes

I actually did some number crunching and was surprised to find that the average age of our list @ 30/4/09 taking out the 6 old blokes  ;D (30+ ers) is 22.078 years.

Include the old blokes and it makes the average age 23.294 years.

Dig a bit deeper and if you take out the 4 blokes who are 26+ then the average age falls to around 21.3 years.

If go deep in the draft only taking kids then we could be around the 20-21 y.o. average.

If thats what we all want then the climb upwards will take time we need to be prepared for that and dare I say it be patient  again ;D :thumbsup
Good stuff WP. What do you do for a living again?!  ;D  :thumbsup

We've waited 27 years already so what's another year or two wait to finally get our rebuild right. The new teams coming in are a problem all clubs face from a recruiting p.o.v. The smart clubs will find and exploit opportunity out of the situation. I forgot too that clubs will be forced next year to give a player away to the GC. If it's an excess player that has some trade value then that's another decent pick in return.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2009, 11:09:09 PM »
Worsfold today has admitted the Eagles are tanking ....

But Worsfold said such losses were inevitable as West Coast's looks to fast-track itself into premiership contention just two-and-a-half seasons after it's 2006 triumph.

"It's going to take a little bit of patience from people to understand where we’re going," Worsfold said from Subiaco Oval on Tuesday.

"If they want to have a side that might finish ninth or tenth for five years in a row, we could manufacture that, but if they want a team that could potentially win a premiership within five or six years of their previous premiership, then that's what we're aiming for.

"We've got a strong focus on that and we're prepared to wear some pain heading towards that.

"We've got a big picture of more imminent success than just being a run of the mill side for a long period."

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=77605

that's why it's important for us to tank.  it's sad those at the club and wallace dont' see that....such a moron....
this is the attitude i was afraid WCE would be taking....we can't afford for them to also get a priority pick...they're currently on 3 wins.  need to find at least 2 more wins for them

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2009, 11:31:33 PM »
Good thing we play them twice, peggles. ;)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2009, 11:43:09 PM »
As far as I am concerned we don't need any more kids as a priority right at this time. We have developed well. What we are screaming for is a quality ready made KPP that can lead the way for players like Vickery, Post & Putt. When I mean quality, I mean giving up our first rounder for a gun but obviously this depends on any being available. Someone like Pavlich, Roughead, Petrie, Franklin, Firrito etc would be ideal. Pipedream maybe, but teams like the swans always seem to snare marquee forwards in their prime that always seem work out for them.

Our older and more experienced players are currently not leading by example and since Richo hit the injury list we have no KPP in our forward line of any substantial quality. We need a big strong target to straighten us up and if anything hits the ground, we already have little nifty nachos to pick up the crumbs.  We are currently missing Richo bigtime! Also not having Gus last week really left us short. Simmo is flat lining, Jack is in poor form, Cleve is nowhere to be seen, Schulz is well....Schulz. Realistically, a couple of those North boys in Petrie or Firrito may not be too hard to snare if they have a crap season and psycho Laidley goes postal on them. We can only hope.

Those in favour say I!!!  :outtahere

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »
Nay!

We don't need to top up with a forward who would only be around the club for a few years. We need to recruit players and KPF who will be there when all our young players are at their peak.

Stripes

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2009, 12:17:31 PM »
This is why finishing down the bottom this year is so important. Tell me you wouldn't want one of these two guy running around in the yellow and black next year!

John Butcher: Immensely talented key position prospect with the Gippsland Power. At 197cm has great agility, pace and endurance for his size and is rarely beaten in a marking contest. Has clean hands and can play forward, back or even in the ruck. An exceptional talent. AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

Tom Scully: Captain of the TAC Cup's Dandenong Stingrays and potential number one draft pick. Scully is a dominant left-footed inside midfielder, clean on both sides of his body. Incredible aerobic capacity and an appetite for the contest to match. The complete package.  AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

Stripes

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2009, 12:25:13 PM »
Add this fellow into the mix for his size and goal kicking but also his leadership qualities -

Alex Keath: A 196cm Murray Bushrangers forward with outstanding speed for his size. Talented key position prospect with a great work ethic, and doesn't stop presenting. Quality leader who captain the Victorian under-17s cricket team and has been selected in the Australian World Cup under-19s squad. Current AIS/AFL Academy squad member.

Stripes

Ramps

« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2009, 03:33:42 PM »
Add this fellow into the mix for his size and goal kicking but also his leadership qualities -

Alex Keath: A 196cm Murray Bushrangers forward with outstanding speed for his size. Talented key position prospect with a great work ethic, and doesn't stop presenting. Quality leader who captain the Victorian under-17s cricket team and has been selected in the Australian World Cup under-19s squad. Current AIS/AFL Academy squad member.

Stripes

Is Keath eligible to be drafted, I thought he wasnt available this year.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2009, 03:52:08 PM »
I'm not sure. I just grabbed the reports from the AFL website. It didn't have ages included. If he isn't odds on he will be wearing a GC jumper in 2011.

Stripes

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2009, 04:30:27 PM »
No matter what the pick numbers are it is still a bit of a lottery - and some will just not work out

having said that - if the focus is youth the age of our list will shrink even more. We actually have a very young list if you take out the 30+ blokes

I actually did some number crunching and was surprised to find that the average age of our list @ 30/4/09 taking out the 6 old blokes  ;D (30+ ers) is 22.078 years.

Include the old blokes and it makes the average age 23.294 years.

Dig a bit deeper and if you take out the 4 blokes who are 26+ then the average age falls to around 21.3 years.

If go deep in the draft only taking kids then we could be around the 20-21 y.o. average.

If thats what we all want then the climb upwards will take time we need to be prepared for that and dare I say it be patient  again ;D :thumbsup

Having a young list is the only way forward now.

However, we need to build on that this year but making the best of this final draft

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2009, 06:08:59 PM »

Having a young list is the only way forward now.

However, we need to build on that this year but making the best of this final draft

We have a very young list now.  The reality of that is getting masked by 6 veterans who will mostly, if not all, be gone at season's end.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2009, 06:23:22 PM »

Stripes

Is Keath eligible to be drafted, I thought he wasnt available this year.
Keath is ineligible as far as the existing clubs go (by just 20 days) but he could be picked up by the Gold Coast as one of the twelve 17 y.o. they are entitled to this year.

Alex Keath 20/01/1992   196cm     82kg

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2009, 09:04:40 PM »
GC are going to be a superpower no doubt and for a long time. I just hope we don't have our chances dashed because of them.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2009, 09:31:37 PM »
We diefinantly need to play the list as Sheedy did years ago,to see who can cut it and who cant, winning games serves no purpose but to finish 9th again.