Author Topic: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]  (Read 45605 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]
« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2009, 01:57:49 PM »
what world are you living in ramps, no club is ever fully secured from anything, note Fitzroy
if any club was proven cheating l can gaurentee the licence of that club would be terminated
Goverment Betting law would put them out of action alone

Individuals in clubs cheat. Clubs as a whole don't.
Individuals will be made scapegoats not the sport or the clubs.
Just look at world cricket and soccer in Italy and England.
Game is bigger than any individual but not the clubs b/c without the clubs you have no game.
Tanking is obvious but cannot be proven in a court of law or by investigators.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: "To tank? Or not to tank? That is the question."
« Reply #196 on: June 06, 2009, 06:29:41 PM »

I do not buy this at all.

maybe if our father sons start turning out like Nath /Gary Ablett , hawkins

Yes, Nathan Ablett, what a game turning champion he was.  32 games in 3 seasons, averaged 8.6 disposals 3.9 marks and 1.4 goals per game for his career - and not a Brownlow vote to be seen.  Played in a premiership team and made not one scrap of difference to that team for the entire year.  Currently getting a kick for Broadbeach in Queensland but still, not too many of them.  Raines has a better career record than that and look how much we all love him!

They got lucky with 2.  Just looking at recent times so did we - Richardson and Bowden, so did Collingwood - Shaw and Shaw, so did Essendon - Watson and Neagle, so did Carlton - Silvagni and Waite, so has almost every other club over the years.  So now there is a rule in place to prevent getting a 'steal' - big deal - father and son picks are cyclical and realistically frought with more danger than a standard draft pick because of the sentimental factor.  Blaming father and son picks for Geelong's current success is just another red herring - just like thinking that tanking for a priority pick will fix our problems.  Stop trying to find the cure in the pill jar of low picks - you are only putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.

Nath Ablett > Hughes / Gourdis / Putt

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #197 on: June 06, 2009, 08:05:36 PM »

Pick 48 vs pick 24/51/rookie 24.

They got 34 non-influential games out of a pick 48.  Your point?

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #198 on: June 06, 2009, 08:15:49 PM »
Carlton are the most perfect example of what your list looks like when you finish near the bottom and not 9th/10th every bloody year.

They may lose tonight but one thing is for certain they will play finals and we will not.

We will win some meaningless games starting this weekend. I will be slapping some serious cash on the Tigers next week.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Jackstar is back

« Reply #199 on: June 06, 2009, 08:30:27 PM »
Carlton are the most perfect example of what your list looks like when you finish near the bottom and not 9th/10th every bloody year.

They may lose tonight but one thing is for certain they will play finals and we will not.

We will win some meaningless games starting this weekend. I will be slapping some serious cash on the Tigers next week.

just get on

Ramps

« Reply #200 on: June 06, 2009, 08:31:01 PM »

Im already organising my multi ...

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #201 on: June 06, 2009, 10:05:36 PM »
Both March and Rawlings made a point of saying that we will aim to win as many games as we can for the rest of the season and aim to have a similar end to the 2009 year as we did in 2008.... :help

So it sounds like many of you will get your 'winning culture' for the rest of this season which will be just as successful as the winning culture we established by winning 8 of the last 11 last year.  :o

Stripes 

FooffooValve

« Reply #202 on: June 06, 2009, 10:16:26 PM »

Lol, I'm sure you will give Marchy a ring and remind him to rort the salary cap for a few years, call the AFL and get them to exclude us from a draft or two so that we can pick up some No 1 picks and a few pp picks too?

I mean, if you are going to tank, you may as well do it properly, right?

FooffooValve

« Reply #203 on: June 06, 2009, 10:20:26 PM »

So it sounds like many of you will get your 'winning culture' for the rest of this season which will be just as successful as the winning culture we established by winning 8 of the last 11 last year.  :o

Stripes 

Stripes - not sure I can explain it to you any more clearly, but you are making the fundamental error of confusing winning games between now and the end of the year with developing a strong club culture. As I've said ad nauseum, if developing a strong club culture was just about wining some junk time games, then we wouldn't have had such little success for nearly 30 years.

Our problems run much deeper than that and people really are kidding themselves if they think that tanking for 11 games is going to solve entrenched problems.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #204 on: June 06, 2009, 10:47:25 PM »

Stripes 

Stripes - not sure I can explain it to you any more clearly, but you are making the fundamental error of confusing winning games between now and the end of the year with developing a strong club culture. As I've said ad nauseum, if developing a strong club culture was just about wining some junk time games, then we wouldn't have had such little success for nearly 30 years.

Our problems run much deeper than that and people really are kidding themselves if they think that tanking for 11 games is going to solve entrenched problems.

So if that is the case then why are you so determined that we pick our best team every week for the rest of the season, even though many of them will not be part of any culture beyond this year or success in the future? Why is winning some meaningless games this year more important than claiming the best talent in this year draft to replace the out going players?

Our culture change can not establish itself this year regardless of what any of us want here. Any new coach will bring about change and hopefully the positive culture change we are all praying for but any culture changes that are made now will be a band aid at best, detrimental at worst.

Foo - you have as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours  ;)

Stripes

FooffooValve

« Reply #205 on: June 06, 2009, 11:04:52 PM »

So if that is the case then why are you so determined that we pick our best team every week for the rest of the season, even though many of them will not be part of any culture beyond this year or success in the future?
Stripes

Show me where I've said that. You haven't been reading or comprehending much.

In fact I've said the exact opposite.  ::)

I'm for picking as young a team as possible, cutting all the deadwood out and starting again. I'm talking about making sure these young players are prepared as meticulously as possible to win the game. If they win, good. If they don't win, also good, at least they get used to doing everything they possibly can to win a game.

This is the first building block in starting to build a strong club culture.

We must also put far more resources into player development. For the past 25 years we have paid lip service to this aspect of running a footy club.

That's just the start.

I'm not the slightest bit interested in changing your mind, just stating my opinion in what OUR club requires.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #206 on: June 06, 2009, 11:09:21 PM »

Pick 48 vs pick 24/51/rookie 24.

They got 34 non-influential games out of a pick 48.  Your point?

if you don't think father/son player have been important in the last 3 years of Geelong then i dunno what to say

- Scarlett: a grade key ack
 - Gary Ablett: not top ten pick? son of greatest player in the game better than Polak/Sampi, pick 4/5
 - N Ablett: played in a flag. decent tall forward option
 - Hawkins: highest rated KPP in a strong draft

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #207 on: June 06, 2009, 11:26:26 PM »

So if that is the case then why are you so determined that we pick our best team every week for the rest of the season, even though many of them will not be part of any culture beyond this year or success in the future?
Stripes

Show me where I've said that. You haven't been reading or comprehending much.

I'm astounded that anyone would think that winning games in the second half of the year against sides that are putting as many  games into their kids so they can assess them and give them experience is going to improve our culture.

Last year all we did was show we are stupid, as a lot of sides that we went past on the ladder was because they wanted to not only get a better draft pick but to put experience into the kids and to play the list to determine who's worth keeping.

I'm sick of not making the finals and believe we need to change the culture, but  we also need a better list which will only come by picking top 20 kids and by luck the we get a gem in the draft - picking up discards fails. Theres no way we will make the finals and to win games just so we all feel a little short term pleasure at the expensive of our long term future will not fix our culture .

Only strong leadership and the pain of rebuilding (see it to the end) will fix our club and that includes playing the youth . If we don't win , thats the cost we need to pay, Other clubs have done it and become successful because they see it out.

FooffooValve

« Reply #208 on: June 07, 2009, 12:14:20 AM »

I'm astounded that anyone would think that winning games in the second half of the year against sides that are putting as many  games into their kids so they can assess them and give them experience is going to improve our culture.

I haven't seen too many people advocating NOT playing the kids.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #209 on: June 07, 2009, 04:35:02 AM »
But I think you are missing my point completely mt. I agree that we need to keep our picks and trade aggressively for more. It is a numbers game, and your own example in Geelong actually proves that you don't need picks in the top 5 to be successful (though, sure, if you get them you don't knock them back!). And yes, Geelong have had some luck with F/S picks (is it luck?) and we have had bad luck with Cogs, Brown, Polak etc. I think I could make a workable argument that our F/S picks (Roach, Raines) might be suffering the same fate as other high pick under-performers (eg Tambling, JON, Pettifer etc).

Far more important is the structure of the club, the environment that you create, and the processes that you induct draftees into. Without the right elements in place, you may as well stop now, which is what we have effectively done for 25 years. We have pinned our hopes on a succession of saviours (be they coaches, players or administrators) and it hasn't got us anywhere because we continue to believe that they are the answer.

The answer is not in making sure we don't win games to ensure a slightly higher pick. Whether we get pick 3 or pick 8 this year is not going to make the difference that turns us into a successful club. History has taught us that. It is far more important that we start adopting an absolute best practice attitude throughout the club, from the top down, and that starts with preparing our players to win at all costs, to prepare with winning as the priority, and then doing everything we can to support them in this outcome.

The players need to get the message that the answer lies within them, not with some 17 year old kid running around in the TAC cup. Adopting a "tanking" approach gives people the message that the answers lie elsewhere. That is not the right message to be sending.
But FFV how are you going to implement these structures and create this new playing group environment if you just continually add just a couple of kids each year (and only one kid in the top 20-25) into a failing playing group that hardly changes from year to year because you don't have the early draft picks to allow you to cut deeper into the list at once and make the changes fast enough to remove those that are creating the poor losing environment. It's a catch 22 situation. You can't cut deep effectively unless you have a number of early picks and you only get a top 20 pick in our situation but either trading someone with high trade value (JON, Schulz, McMahon, Petts, King etc won't do that) or you tank and grab the priority pick which gives you 3 picks inside the top 20 and access to more talented kids.

As Ramps said tanking is not so much about having a top 3 pick rather than pick 8 (although they are more certainties to make it especially in recent drafts) but the fact it gives you a number of early picks rather than just one. If you don't have early top 20 picks you're then replacing a Jake King with a kid picked up with pick 60 or 70+ whose chances of making it or being any better than Kingy are minimal. With a priority pick you've replaced King with a top 20 kid. You're right FFV it is a numbers game. Gaining a priority pick is playing the numbers. It gives you more options in terms of culling your list further in one go and replacing it with better talent. You are upgrading the quality of your list. You're weeding out as quickly as possible those who continually fail the team. There's no point talking about raising standards and demanding a winning culture if you continue to make minimal changes to the playing list and hold onto the same ordinary players who let you down time and time again because you don't have enough early picks to replace the dud players with better quality. You need to turnover the list as quickly as possible to see real change. It's a two-fold action - tank to clear the decks faster and replace with better quality.

Once you have the more talented list then you can demand more of them and raise the bar as they are far more capable of reaching the elite standards required compared to our existing group who in the main are just incapable of reaching these standards in the first place through lack of talent and skills (and yes application as well). Working harder alone though won't cut it at this level if you don't have the elite talent to begin with.

For others to say we could've, should've, might've been 7-3 if we waved a magical wand and had a winning culture is with all due respect wishful thinking. The fact is we're 2-9 for a reason - we are simply not good enough. We have far too many players on our list that are simply not good enough to begin with. We have far too many list cloggers and passengers. Too many triers and not enough top liners. If Friday night proved one thing it was the massive gulf in class between us and any decent side. The boys actually tried on the night but they were stuffed by the 3rd quarter just keeping up with the doggies to half time (the inefficient gameplan doesn't help us run out games mind you). The bulldogs cut us to ribbons and it only a matter of time before the game was going to be blown open. We've played so much catch up footy this year because we aren't good enough. Trying and working harder isn't going to make us a better team alone. We need MUCH more talented footballers on our list. We have a few classy players but nowhere near enough. The club under Wallace's coaching only did half a job during his reign. We are only halfway there at best. The next coach will need to complete the rebuilding process and with the Gold Coast coming in he and our recruiting staff are going to need all the early picks they can get to do it.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd