Author Topic: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]  (Read 45478 times)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]
« Reply #540 on: July 27, 2009, 12:40:50 AM »
Dont get me wrong Ramps...we all understand the virtues of tanking.

I just think its going to be refreshing to talk about other things like
1) the redemption of Ben Cousins
2) The improvement of Tambling
3) Jayden Post
4) Tyronne Vickery
5) Nahas
6) How good Cotchin is going to be once he has done a full pre season.
7) 20 yr old Riewoldt
8) The fact that we now have a match committee thats not afraid to make tough decissions.

Preaching to the converted was beginning to become a bore  :sleep
Unleash the tornado

Ramps

« Reply #541 on: July 27, 2009, 12:48:58 AM »
what match committee -

the same match committee that has mcmahon, hislop, king, sylvestor et al in the team.

or the interim coach who went on radio today and made out that Jordan McMahon was the bees knees and intimated that there was a place for McMahon at RFC for the future.

Im sorry guys, but everyone needs to go look at the last 15 years and see how many of these meaningless wins we have had ... there have been plenty and sadly we have always remained a rabble as a result.

The WCE on the other hand are one of the most professional outfits in Australian Sport. In 2 or 3 years theyll be winning flags and we'll all be in here fighting about where it all went wrong.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #542 on: July 27, 2009, 12:49:28 AM »
We need to try and get a big forward and we need to find a couple of gun midfielders. The forward I would try and trade for from another AFL club, the mids we can find in the draft even though now, the cream midfielders will go to other clubs.
To trade for a big forward from another club would cost our first round pick. Even if it was our second pick (#24) the types traded are overinflated discarded duds like Boyle, Charlie Gardiner, etc. We might as well stick with our own dud key forwards stuck at Coburg  :P. No more trying to find a diamond in other clubs' rubbish. Craig Cameron needs to be locked in a room during trade week unless he's got the courage to trade a player not in our next premiership side for another decent pick. I'd rather find another pick inside 20 and go for a Talia or some kid in that range. What I was really hoping for is Melbourne and Eagles lose their PP, the Dees take Scully, the WA sides go for WA kids and us at pick 4 get Butcher, but that seems a pipedream now  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #543 on: July 27, 2009, 12:55:18 AM »
Develop the players we have.  More sense doing this than holding back the competitive nature of players in the hope of grabbing another "chance" of a player that we may not develop.

Throw the increased membership into the football development department.  

Take a player like Cotchin.  He will thrive when we give 110%, but no wonder his season was less than fantastic, when the players had lost the "team plan" because of Wallet.

I swear we will go backwards if we do not push on now for more wins.

We have a list of low picks, we need to get the most out of it.  Getting that extra pick is a backwards step in my opinion.  Success breeds success.

Some people go through life taking the easy option, and in the end fail with no ambition, no drive, and more importantly never have tasted the "never say die" attitude to succeed. 

Our Club doesn't need to pursue the easy option.   

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #544 on: July 27, 2009, 01:09:51 AM »
Ramps ...I was referring to the match commitee that is demanding more of its players other than stats that look good on paper.

Unleash the tornado

Ramps

« Reply #545 on: July 27, 2009, 01:30:38 AM »
We need to try and get a big forward and we need to find a couple of gun midfielders. The forward I would try and trade for from another AFL club, the mids we can find in the draft even though now, the cream midfielders will go to other clubs.
To trade for a big forward from another club would cost our first round pick. Even if it was our second pick (#24) the types traded are overinflated discarded duds like Boyle, Charlie Gardiner, etc. We might as well stick with our own dud key forwards stuck at Coburg  :P. No more trying to find a diamond in other clubs' rubbish. Craig Cameron needs to be locked in a room during trade week unless he's got the courage to trade a player not in our next premiership side for another decent pick. I'd rather find another pick inside 20 and go for a Talia or some kid in that range. What I was really hoping for is Melbourne and Eagles lose their PP, the Dees take Scully, the WA sides go for WA kids and us at pick 4 get Butcher, but that seems a pipedream now  :-\.

The only player I have in mind for a player to player trade is Jesse White from Sydney. What could we offer, Id offer a player like Foley who seems to be rumoured to be well liked by Sydney. If we couldnt do a deal and we had like pick 6 or 7 in the draft I would pick Ben Griffiths.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #546 on: July 27, 2009, 01:40:14 AM »
Sydney won't be giving up any key forwards any time soon given they just kicked out Bazza & O'Loughlin is retiring

Ramps

« Reply #547 on: July 27, 2009, 01:45:00 AM »
You can only ask and if they dont want to do a deal then thats ok everyone moves on. Take Griffiths in the draft and hope for the best.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #548 on: July 27, 2009, 07:02:14 AM »
All is not lost regarding the draft - we can trade for better picks

We need to have the courage to dangle a big carrot. Someone we know we can do without but other clubs will jump at. Now that will be good list management  :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #549 on: July 27, 2009, 07:45:44 AM »

We need to have the courage to dangle a big carrot. Someone we know we can do without but other clubs will jump at. Now that will be good list management  :thumbsup

We've never done that and its partly our fault. As soon as average to good players hit their zenith with us, fans proclaim them the next big thing and they stay at the club and are delisted 3-5 years later.

I'd be putting Foley out there for sure.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #550 on: July 27, 2009, 10:50:42 AM »
For the tankers.

Was this win worth the differnce between pick 3 and 4?

I wouldn't have thought so.

Picks 3 and 4's over the years:

3: Xavier Ellis
4. Josh Kennedy

2006:
3. Lachlan Hansen
4. Matthew Leunberger

2007:
3. Chris Masten
4. Cale Morton

2008:
3. Stephen Hill
4. Hamish Hartlett

All very very good players. I'll take the win and pick 4.
Go Tigers!

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #551 on: July 27, 2009, 11:01:09 AM »
For the tankers.

Was this win worth the differnce between pick 3 and 4?

I wouldn't have thought so.

Picks 3 and 4's over the years:

I don't think its the 3 vs 4 or 5 issue that gets the pro-tankers going, its the 18 & 20ish vs low 20's pick.

It is all academic anyway unless we get our house in order on draft day its not going to make a difference. Our performance with top picks post-Fiora has been fine. Its the mid range ones I worry about. Geelong benefitted greatly from F/S picks but one of the reasons they built such a strong list is their 20/30/40+ selections have been sensational.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #552 on: July 27, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »
It doesnt matter now, its history and so is Richmonds 2009 season - promised heaps, pre season but only delivered in junk time  ;D

We still need to play the list to see whos can stand up and I hope they start next week with Hughes.

Hughes :chuck :banghead
Do you actually go to the games
You leave Reiwoldt,Post and Morton up forward.

Obviusly you arnt very smart, you think one good game makes us a great side and we don't need another power forward. Even if you dont know what is happening at Coburg you could check the papers and you would see Hughes has been in good form. The reason we are going well is we are playing the list, I wouldnt mind seeing Polak get a run as well but they tell me he just not there yet even though hes in the best at Coburg.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #553 on: July 27, 2009, 02:43:38 PM »

We've never done that and its partly our fault. As soon as average to good players hit their zenith with us, fans proclaim them the next big thing and they stay at the club and are delisted 3-5 years later.

I'd be putting Foley out there for sure.

:thumbsup spot on
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #554 on: July 27, 2009, 03:31:19 PM »
Demetriou just said in an interview that Richmond is proof clubs don't tank. That "Richmond tanked terribly yesterday".