Author Topic: Wallace safe at Tigers - for now  (Read 2072 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Wallace safe at Tigers - for now
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:39:18 PM »
Wallace safe at Tigers - for now
Caroline Wilson | April 21, 2009 - 8:53PM

Embattled Richmond coach Terry Wallace remains safe in his job for now. Wallace received that call from Tigers president Gary March tonight after the Richmond board talks broke up.

March said he had called Wallace and reassured him the club not be reacting to "external pressures" nor the dismal performances demonstrated by Wallace's team in the opening rounds of the 2009 season.

March told The Age the club remained determined to embark upon a review of the senior coaching position towards the middle of the season.

"We started a process last year and nothing has changed from the time I terminated (football director) Greg Miller," said March.

"I said then we have embarked upon a strategic review of the entire football operation and the entire department and that includes the coaches and the senior coach.

"We're not going to buckle to outside pressures. We've got a contracted coach and we will look at coaching and the senior coach towards the middle of the year and make a decision definitely by the end of the year."

March said he had been impressed with Wallace's demeanour over the club's disastrous start to the season and in particular over recent days.

"It's been tough on Terry," he said. "It's been tough on the whole club and I am very proud of the way everyone's handling it."

Wallace did not present to last night's meeting, which went for at least three hours. However, head of football Craig Cameron did.

The Tigers were under siege all day again yesterday, with media camped at Punt Road for Wallace's arrival at work.

Former North Melbourne premiership coach Denis Pagan had been on radio to deny that he was trying to snare the Richmond job from Wallace.

Pagan, who was sacked as coach of Carlton midway through 2007, said on Monday he was ready to return to a senior side just a day after the glare on Wallace intensified.

Following Richmond's fourth straight loss - to last year's wooden spooner Melbourne on Sunday - speculation Wallace would be sacked was rampant.

But Pagan, who took North Melbourne to two flags, said his comments were badly timed and he had apologised to Wallace.

"I don't ring anybody up and say, 'I want to coach'. People ask me," Pagan told SEN radio.

"In retrospect, I can see how it's portrayed and it wasn't timely for the Richmond Football Club and Terry, and I've apologised to him and that's life.

"I feel for the people involved in it. I've been through it myself and I can tell you, it's not a pleasant time."
Pagan coaches Wallace's son, Brent, at the TAC Cup side Northern Knights and said he would also talk to him this week.

After he said he was "very keen to coach", Pagan rang Wallace on Monday to apologise.

"I said to him, 'If I've caused you any embarrassment or angst, it wasn't meant with any intent," Pagan said.

"I answered a direct question and I didn't think it would be tied in with the Richmond Football Club.

With AAP

http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/2009/04/21/1240079670206.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

Re: Wallace safe at Tigers - for now
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:43:01 PM »
The club have reacted very well IMO  :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 09:49:53 PM »
From the HUN:

Tiger coach Terry Wallace is safe
 Mark Robinson

April 21, 2009 09:21pm
BREAKING NEWS:

TERRY Wallace will coach Richmond until at least mid-year.

The embattled coach survived a board meeting in the city last night, where the club reiterated its process to review the coach would continue as planned.

Wallace, who is under daily scrutiny from media and fans, will officially know of his future about Round 12.

Unofficially, at 0-4, Wallace knows his future almost certainly finished at Punt Rd.

Wallace was not at last night's meeting, nor did he present any submission.

But a decision was expected on whether Wallace would be sacked and replaced by one of his assistants, namely David King or Wayne Campbell, or that he would continue.

At last night's meeting, Craig Cameron, the head of football, strongly recommended - and was supported - that the process of reviewing the football department, which includes Wallace and which began last July, would continue until its completion, which is mid-year.

Chief executive Steven Wright also presented at the board meeting, which went for two and half hours.

Richmond president Gary March last night was emphatic the scrutiny on Wallace and the Tigers would not force the club's hand.

``We will not buckle to outside pressures in regards to the process which we put in last July,'' March said.

``The coaching review was to be made mid-season and a decision will be made as to what direction the club takes.

``The current situation is nothing has changed.

``Terry is coaching. He is contracted to coach.

``And the review is not just the coaching, it's the whole footy department. It's a work in progress.''

March spoke to Wallace before and after the meeting and told the Herald Sun last night Wallace was aware of the club's decision before the meeting.

Asked the tone of the meeting, March said: ``I'm not going to comment on internal meetings. All I will say is I have been incredibly proud internally from Craig Cameron, Steve Wright and to the board of how solid they've been in seeing through the process we've got in place.''

March said he ``felt'' Wallace and his family.

``I speak to him daily ... I feel for him,'' March said.

``You don't want to see anyone go through the personal scrutiny that Terry is going through.

``The Richmond Football Club is rallying around Terry and his family whenever we can.

``But we're all big boys, we know we have to deal with that, both Terry and myself.

March, who yesterday put the blow torch to the players, describing them as mentally weak, said last night's meeting was not shifted from Punt Rd to avoid another media circus.

``We have four or five board meetings away from Punt Rd each year, there was no cloak and dagger, it was scheduled two weeks ago to be at this location.''

Wallace said earlier he had not been asked to attend last night's board meeting.

But he said he planned to speak to Tigers' head of football Craig Cameron for a report on proceedings.

Wallace, who gave a major football presentation at the club's March board meeting, said Cameron regularly gave him feedback after presenting to the board.

``I don't normally go to the board meetings so I am more than comfortable with that being the situation,'' he said

``We just finished match committee for the evening, so just another day at the office

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25367887-661,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 10:10:27 PM »
The right decision although the club should have been firm on this before it got to tonight's board meeting.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:23:05 PM »
Richmond president Gary March last night was emphatic the scrutiny on Wallace and the Tigers would not force the club's hand.

``We will not buckle to outside pressures in regards to the process which we put in last July,'' March said.

:clapping :clapping some ticker at last  ... that's all I wanted  ;D

All that needed to be added was "we will not be making any further comment on this subject"

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 10:24:57 PM »
and so the club shouldnt, this 2009 not 1990's.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 10:28:26 PM »

All that needed to be added was "we will not be making any further comment on this subject"

good stuff by march, lets huoe they have the balls to keep jhim till the end of the year, then we will really see which players give a f@@@ about the jumper, the pressure is all on the players now

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 10:41:50 PM »

good stuff by march, lets huoe they have the balls to keep jhim till the end of the year, then we will really see which players give a f@@@ about the jumper, the pressure is all on the players now

Player accountability what you were implying WP.
We will see who want to be there next year depending on what they do for the remaining 18 games. Unfortunantely given the first four games the players now have the focus placed squarely on them and their own futures in their hands and me thinks they will be very competitive on Saturday night.
Richmond players the slow climb to redemption begins tonight don't let yourselves down.

Moi

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 10:42:38 PM »
How can they get rid of Wallace when they haven't even completed their review of the footy department.
That review might decide that Wallace is a part of the future.
Just hope they get it finished ASAP though so we can start to address all the problems we've got  :help

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 12:51:54 AM »
Pagan has not tried to poacj terrys job, caro is fos

btw, marty sauce tells me wallace is safe or now but has been told he has 4 weeks to prove himself and the team have been told they have for weeks to prove they are playing for the coach

round 8 lets wait and see

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 01:09:29 AM »
Im all for the pressure going back on to the players and seeing how they respond.Nothing worse than a club where the "tail wags the dog"
Unleash the tornado

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 06:38:36 AM »

Does this mean that Jackstar will "disappear" (again) for a while?

:thumbsup

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 06:55:59 AM »

Great news!  :clapping

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 07:21:06 AM »

Player accountability what you were implying WP.
We will see who want to be there next year depending on what they do for the remaining 18 games. Unfortunantely given the first four games the players now have the focus placed squarely on them and their own futures in their hands and me thinks they will be very competitive on Saturday night.
Richmond players the slow climb to redemption begins tonight don't let yourselves down.

It's always been about accountability Tucker, eveyone needs to be accountable.... Players to this point have had no acid on them, they've been able to hide behind the circus around the coach...

They can't now and now we will see just how much ticker they got
 :gotigers

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 07:43:17 AM »
4 weeks and wallace is goneski