Author Topic: Angus Graham [merged]  (Read 41542 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Angus Graham [merged]
« on: April 26, 2009, 05:47:09 PM »
Graham stands tall for Tigers
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen 10:42 AM Sun 26 April, 2009

ANGUS Graham's AFL career is just getting off the ground, but his performance on Saturday night was a big step forward.

Despite being beaten in the ruck by North Melbourne’s Hamish McIntosh, Graham was serviceable at ball-ups, and strong and persistent in his around-the-ground work as the Tigers powered to their first win of the season.

His quicksilver in-and-out handball to fellow newbie Andy Collins for a significant goal late in the third term showed good skills and decision-making for a 200cm 22-year-old, and his second efforts at ground level were effective all night.

With regular ruckman Troy Simmonds dropped, Graham was teamed with fellow youngster Adam Pattison, and he said he knew he needed to step up into the responsibility of leading the ruck in just his sixth game of AF football.

"We've had a rough month, as everyone knows, so we just had to go out there and put it all on the line," he said after the game.

"Simmo was out, so I had to step up ... I've been in the system for a while; I've been waiting a long time for a bit of extra responsibility and a chance, so I just had to go out there have a real red-hot go."

Graham said he was happy with his night's work even if he was outpointed from a statistical point of view.

"Obviously [McIntosh] beat me, and I've got a bit of work to do, but it's a good start.

"My ruckwork has been a bit up-and-down, and my second efforts haven't been a strong point ... I've been working on them so I can have an impact all the time."

Coach Terry Wallace was obviously thrilled after the game with the Tigers finally getting a win on the board, and one of the players he was most happy with was Graham.

"I was really pleased with him – Hamish McIntosh has been in very, very good form early in the year and has really been a standout for the opposition," Wallace said.

"I thought Angus applied himself really well and was a very good player for us tonight.

"I think that's his best game that he's played with us.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/75646/default.aspx
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:01:42 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Angus Graham stands tall for Tigers (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:30:22 PM »
I was also very impressed with both the efforts of our young ruckmen. Simmo better step up because suddenly he is not so irreplacable... :shh

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 11:34:50 PM »
Gus was able to nullify Hamish McIntosh so our mids could win the clearances and his work and linking around the ground was good but he's got a big test next week against Jolly who showed against Hawthorn a couple of weeks back that he can dominate against inexperienced ruckmen. At the SCG who dominates the centre clearances wins the game.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 11:46:29 PM »
Graham (22 yoa)
Pattison (23 yoa) [drafted 04]
Browne (18 yoa)
Vickery (18 yoa)
Putt (20 yoa)
---
Simmo

looks fairly well rounded, these days.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 11:51:09 PM »
Gus was able to nullify Hamish McIntosh so our mids could win the clearances and his work and linking around the ground was good but he's got a big test next week against Jolly who showed against Hawthorn a couple of weeks back that he can dominate against inexperienced ruckmen. At the SCG who dominates the centre clearances wins the game.

Jolly was smashing Renouf.

But alot of the rucking was Jolly vs. Roughead/Franklin etc.and he was smashing them.

Graham is a huge bloke and will give more of a contest rather than those pus$ies who did not have a go

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 08:53:04 AM »
Graham (22 yoa)
Pattison (23 yoa) [drafted 04]
Browne (18 yoa)
Vickery (18 yoa)
Putt (20 yoa)
---
Simmo

looks fairly well rounded, these days.

I notice Putt has been in the Coburg 2's best for the past couple of weeks.  Good early signs - I've never seen him play but a call up to the Coburg seniors would be interesting to see what he's got.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 09:33:09 AM »
Graham it seems is starting to prove me wrong, still a mongo but going OK.

Simmo's stats looked OK but he pulled off some shockers at Box Hill Sat, feeling the game may have passed simmo by  :(

BrownE is a monster, only 18 so really could be anything if he can actually play a bit, wont know for a few years yet!

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 06:38:10 PM »
Gus played pretty well today -Kicked well for goal and i liked the way he did not back away from Hall when it got a bit willing. :thumbsup

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »
agree mopsy

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 07:19:59 PM »
Agree Mopsy. Yep Gus got under Hall's skin lol.

Gus gave our forward line some structure just before and after half-time.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 07:28:46 PM »
Yep went forward and kicked 2 goals and could have kicked a third in the last.
Would have like to have seen him break a few of O'Keefes ribs when he marked across in front of him in the third quarter when it seemed Angus was in the box seat.
Needs more mongrel but he is doing okay.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 09:59:21 PM »
Best game I've seen Gus play

I am one of his biggest critics but ...

Well done Gus  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 08:18:22 AM »
He has improved out of sight since the first game I saw him play this year.  If he keeps improving as he has done so far then he will be very serviceable by the end of this season.  The Graham/Pattison combination has been our most competitive of all so far.  I would even consider playing Simmonds as a permanent forward next week in Richo's absence, just to mix things up and keep the opposition guessing - he certainly has the capacity to fill the role temporarily while we remain competitive in the ruck.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 08:59:19 AM »
He spreads from a contest better than most of our midfielders.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 09:13:14 AM »
gus beat jolly hands down, thats a great scalp