Author Topic: Angus Graham [merged]  (Read 41544 times)

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
Re: Angus Graham [merged]
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 09:35:42 PM »
How is the big fellow on the lead? We need a forward desperately and if Simmo and Pattison/Browne(elevated for Richo) can hold down the ruck for the rest of the year we could at least have a tall target....Do like his run around the ground though.  :-\

Stripes
You obviously did not watch the game against Sydney.

Mopsy

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 09:44:01 PM »
How is the big fellow on the lead? We need a forward desperately and if Simmo and Pattison/Browne(elevated for Richo) can hold down the ruck for the rest of the year we could at least have a tall target....Do like his run around the ground though.  :-\

Stripes

Mopsy
So whats the answer  :D

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2009, 08:59:35 AM »

Stripes

Mopsy
Didn't you see him lead out, take the mark in front of his body and kick the two goals either.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2009, 10:15:48 AM »

Stripes

Mopsy
Didn't you see him lead out, take the mark in front of his body and kick the two goals either.

Thanks for you valued input Mopsy.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2009, 01:53:48 PM »

Stripes

Mopsy

Thanks for you valued input Mopsy.
Your welcome any time Stripes :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2009, 05:22:05 PM »
Gus is showing how important a full preseason is for the bigger blokes. That broken foot/ankle at the end of 2007 stuffed up his 2008 season. I'm a lot less concerned about our rucks stocks and replacing Simmo thanks to Gus, Browne and Vickery. They're still young and it will take a few years for them to mature fully but we can now focus on other more critical deficient areas such as big key forwards to add size down the spine and straighten us up.

There haven't been many positives this year but Gus along with Polo, Rance and Collo have at least improved.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 09:01:18 AM »
Gus is showing how important a full preseason is for the bigger blokes. That broken foot/ankle at the end of 2007 stuffed up his 2008 season. I'm a lot less concerned about our rucks stocks and replacing Simmo thanks to Gus, Browne and Vickery. They're still young and it will take a few years for them to mature fully but we can now focus on other more critical deficient areas such as big key forwards to add size down the spine and straighten us up.

There haven't been many positives this year but Gus along with Polo, Rance and Collo have at least improved.

I thought in the two games he played in 2007 (one half playing on with the injury)he showed enough to warrant perserverence from the club and that is now coming to fruition. A lot of good players have come from Assumption College in my 68 years of following the game.

As for Browne I watched him at coburg playing against the cats and i am of the opinion he will hold his own at afl level.

Vickery also should be given some senior games this year as part of his development.

These young players are seeing some of their fellow draftees who they have grown up with, already doing well at the top level ( admittitdly smaller players) doing well at top level and should be given some time there for the good of their own moral

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:39:19 AM by Mopsy »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 04:17:52 PM »
I thought in the two games he played in 2007 (one half playing on with the injury)he showed enough to warrant perserverence from the club and that is now coming to fruition. A lot of good players have come from Assumption College in my 68 years of following the game.

As for Browne I watched him at coburg playing against the cats and i am of the opinion he will hold his own at afl level.

Vickery also should be given some senior games this year as part of his development.

These young players are seeing some of their fellow draftees who they have grown up with, already doing well at the top level ( admittitdly smaller players) doing well at top level and should be given some time there for the good of their own moral
I agree on all 3 counts Mopsy. People forget Gus has just turned 22. Ruckmen usually take longer than any other player to develop and don't reach their peak until their mid-late 20s. There was always talent there as you rightly point out Mopsy in late 2007 but the broken ankle/foot against Geelong at KP wiped out his preseason and stuffed up 2008 for him.

Vickery I would say would've had a chance to make his debut this week or the next if he didn't have an absolute shocker against Casey  :-\. He had a great game for Coburg the week before but probably needed to back it up to make the match committee sit up and take notice. Although I would like to see Ty play alongside another tall plus Jack just for team structural reasons to give us tall options up forward to kick long too rather than the short chip chip chip garbage we are playing now, it's no big deal in the long-term if he spends the whole of 2009 in the Coburg firsts. It didn't do Rance any harm last year. Melbourne are doing the same with Watts.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2009, 05:37:51 PM »
Well, I'm not usually into blowing my own trumpet but I have always though Gus was a good un' as per my report on the Tigers Swans Trial game in 2007

As you all know we fielded a very young side but I must say that several of our young guys played superbly with two notable standouts..Jake King and Angus Graham.
King play Back pocket for most of the match and showed composure in all situations. He gave us drive from the last line of defence and often seemed to get out of impossible situations with aplomb. He always seemed to take the correct option. He played pretty loose but very effective.

Angus was also fantastic. He looks and plays a bit like simmo and IMO (unlike that Age idiot) he had the points over his more fancied opponents jolly & everitt. He also booted 2 very good goals from set shots 40 out. For mine..I think he's ready or at least thereabouts.

One thing I also reported on that day was that turnovers killed us and were directly responsible for us losing the game.  :rollin

On a side note, if anyone wants to see what 2 years in the system can do to a body, take a look at this pic I took of Luke McGuane back then.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »
Well, I'm not usually into blowing my own trumpet but I have always though Gus was a good un' as per my report on the Tigers Swans Trial game in 2007

As you all know we fielded a very young side but I must say that several of our young guys played superbly with two notable standouts..Jake King and Angus Graham.
King play Back pocket for most of the match and showed composure in all situations. He gave us drive from the last line of defence and often seemed to get out of impossible situations with aplomb. He always seemed to take the correct option. He played pretty loose but very effective.

Angus was also fantastic. He looks and plays a bit like simmo and IMO (unlike that Age idiot) he had the points over his more fancied opponents jolly & everitt. He also booted 2 very good goals from set shots 40 out. For mine..I think he's ready or at least thereabouts.

One thing I also reported on that day was that turnovers killed us and were directly responsible for us losing the game.  :rollin

On a side note, if anyone wants to see what 2 years in the system can do to a body, take a look at this pic I took of Luke McGuane back then.

It was Millers foresight that kept him at the club via the rookie club, :thumbsup a big thank you to those who participated

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2009, 08:10:41 PM »
At least we're consistenly inconsistent ;D

ps. Hope you had a good one for your birthday this week tiga  :cheers  :birthday

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2009, 09:31:44 AM »

Hey Tiga, dont worry about the one you got right, what about Jake King.  Whats doing there, you get a 50% pass mark just like Wallace got last year from March.  (Just jokes by the way  :thumbsup)

McGuane still got those chicken legs but at least he has bulked up on the top half.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2009, 03:49:38 PM »
At least we're consistenly inconsistent ;D

ps. Hope you had a good one for your birthday this week tiga  :cheers  :birthday
Thanks MT  :cheers As with all midweek Birthdays, a quiet one, but I intend to make up for it on the weekend!

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Gus's greatest strength is he really stands up in the contest, rarely is he outmuscled...This means if he fails to get a mit to it then it's a struggle for his opponent to assert himself...we have genuinely improved our clearance work in last fortnight...just a bloody shame there's no-one on the end of all the hard work :-\
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Graham takes path less travelled (RFC)
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 04:08:49 PM »
Graham takes path less travelled
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen | Fri 02 October, 2009

IT'S BEEN a rocky road to the AFL for Angus Graham.

Since making the move from King Island in the Bass Strait – where they have just three footy teams, so you get a bye every third week – he's played school footy, gone into the TAC Cup, been rookie listed, elevated, injured and send back the VFL to recover, and moved into the number one ruck spot for the Tigers.

Graham was elevated for 2007, but broke his ankle towards the end of that year. His subsequent lack of fitness meant no AFL for 2008.

Still just 22, Graham played 16 games in 2009, missing several due to hamstring tightness and a desire by the Tigers to protect his young body.

He also averaged 14 hit-outs (the same as Troy Simmonds), nine disposals and – importantly – three tackles a game in 2009 as he grabbed the number-one ruck spot for the Tigers.

However, despite consolidating his position in the Tigers best 22, Graham wasn't getting too excited by 2009.

"I suppose I've had an OK year, considering," he told richmondfc.com.au.

"Given the year I've come off, the year before, I've learned a lot of things and I'll take a lot into next year."

But 2010 is something he's looking forward to getting into.

"I'm pretty excited, obviously – a new coach, new structures, I'm not sure what to expect.

"There's a bit of excitement, I think, with everyone.

"We've had a little taste of the preseason and that was OK – pre-season's always a hard time of year, but exciting at the same time.

"You get fit, and this year I think we're going to learn new things, and overall the players look like they're in OK nick at the moment, so let's hope it stays that way and we get a jump on the rest of the competition."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/85637/default.aspx