Author Topic: Nathan Buckley [merged]  (Read 18635 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Nathan Buckley
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
This thread should be closed.

With the Lions doing so well with an untried Vossy the door will be wide open for one Nathan Buckley to head up the Pies.

Move on he hates us and would NEVER join our club

Living in fantasy land if you think he will become our coach.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 05:19:34 PM »
I'd doubt too that Buckley would want to coach Richmond but if the Pies win again tomorrow then Malthouse's chances of surviving as coach will rise and Bucks will have to look elsewhere even as an assistant coach to begin with.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 07:45:57 PM »
The biggest question isn't "Would he want the job?", but more "Would he want the job long term?"

My biggest concern would be him viewing us as a development role as a stepping stone towards getting the Collingwood job

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nathan Buckley can put Richmond back on track as coach: Jonathan Brown
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 05:10:33 AM »
Nathan Buckley can put Richmond back on track as coach
Jonathan Brown | June 05, 2009

NATHAN Buckley looms as the first-choice answer to the coaching dramas at Richmond - if he wants to be.

While it's difficult for an outsider to judge the events inside Punt Road which saw Terry Wallace split with the club this week, and I've got no inside knowledge on Buckley, I'll be surprised if the former Collingwood captain is not at the top of the Tigers' hit list.

And if it works out that Buckley is in charge next year, he'll have Michael Voss to thank in part.

It's inevitable Buckley will be an AFL coach, but there's no doubt Vossy's first-year success with the Lions has strengthened the case for him to step straight into a senior job.

As much as popular opinion says you should do a coaching apprenticeship, I can't agree. Especially with long-time captains like Voss and Buckley who are so heavily involved.

I've noticed it myself as solo captain this year - you see a lot more about what goes on away from the playing group and it gives you a much greater appreciation of the things and a chance to formulate ideas on how you'd run your own club.

Voss and Buckley have followed a strikingly similar pathway in retirement, working as an expert comments man on TV while doing some part-time coaching with the AIS/AFL Academy.

I don't know Buckley well but I've enjoyed his commentary. It's obvious he's got a terrific footy mind and there's no reason he couldn't do an outstanding job in rebuilding the Tigers.

It was a merciful end for Wallace when the parties agreed to split and the right outcome. Once the club decided he wasn't going to be there next year it made sense for him to move on so they could do what they've got to do without feeling like they were going behind his back all the time.

The priorities are different now - it's not about a coach trying to save his job but a club getting ready for the next chapter under a new coach.

The writing was on the wall when Richmond were smashed by Carlton by 83 points in round 1.

Then, when they lost to Melbourne in round 4 it was going to take something special to save him.

The choice of caretaker coach, to be announced tomorrow, is an interesting one, and I'm hoping ex-Lions teammate Craig McRae, currently the Tigers' development coach, gets the gig.

The footy grapevine says "Fly" is hugely popular with the players and has a terrific rapport with them. He's a very good teacher, communicates extra well and is the sort of guy who would make footy fun.

When you've been through what the Tigers have been through, that's a good starting point.

A caretaker role can be a pathway to a full-time gig, as it was with Brett Ratten when he replaced Denis Pagan at Carlton midway through 2007. Likewise Paul Roos at Sydney in 2002.

But it can be a poisoned chalice, as it was when Roger Merrett replaced John Northey mid-season with the Lions in '98, only to be replaced by Leigh Matthews for '99.

Wayne Campbell, former Richmond captain and early favourite for the job next year, might be reluctant to take it on without any guarantees.

I won't even try to guess what will happen short term or long term, but it's terrific to have ex-teammates McRae, Justin Leppitsch, Brad Scott, Chris Scott and Nigel Lappin as part of the AFL coaching scene, in addition to Vossy, and in the mix for different coaching jobs in the future.

Just as it was back at Hawthorn in their heyday, when Allan Jeans' teams produced a lot of coaches, it says a lot about the Lions group of 2001-03 and is a big tick for "Lethal Leigh".

Wallace was part of that Hawks group, and as much as he'll admit his time at Punt Road has been a failure, he shouldn't carry all the blame and should still be favourably remembered.

One of only 17 people to play and/or coach 500 AFL games, he was a triple premiership player, a four-time B and F winner and a successful coach at the Western Bulldogs, missing a grand final by a kick in '97.

No doubt the 2009 Tigers are a better side than their 2-8 win/loss record suggests, and I'm tipping that whoever has the job to the end of the season will see some significant improvement.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25586914-10389,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 01:57:37 AM »
Rhettrospective.com has learnt N. Buckley will still be sounded out regarding Richmond coaching role, regardless of caretaker success.

http://eatemalive.blogspot.com/

Ramps

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 05:05:45 AM »
If Campbell is the caretaker, then I cant see him tanking, he will try and win as many games as possible to give him his best shot at winning the job, in effect getting us bad picks, and losing us the priority we desperately need, for Buckley to have any chance at the gig, the Campbell has to get the caretakers job and fail miserably.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 08:17:42 AM »
Buckley made some interesting comments during the game last night that definitely pointed towards him considering applying for the job.

Tigermonk

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 08:26:37 AM »
Cant stand the man, l dont want him anywhere near Richmond.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 01:05:52 PM »
I do, at least he wont suffer crap and soft performances from anyone and will make his own decisions.

Ramps

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 01:17:58 PM »
He has made some more today, IMHO he is definately interested.

Richmond for all our crap, we are a great club still with massive numbers, a coach or a prospective coach with an ego would do handstands to get it. The whole Buckley thing is a big story, the possibilities are endless, the Collingwood great who never got a flag goes to the enemy and succeeds. I reckon Buckley would want it.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 01:35:36 PM »
Egotistical Skunk.

Bias aside, if it did happen we could do a lot worse.
Some say Terry was an egotist and all about Terry, but really who isn't.
Bucks would match Terry in the ego stakes if not outdo him.
Has a good footy background and seems to know his stuff.
Will not be any of the player charades of the past few weeks going on if Figjam is coaching.
Wont put up with any pussies like petticoat etc

Not real keen, but could prove to be a masterstroke.

Then again who knows with the RFC  :banghead :gotigers

Ramps

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
Buckley has already put a line through quite afew if he gets the job. Hes interested and probably preparing for his interviews and presentation.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »
The way he spoke last night, he sounded as he'd been doing a bit of research and paying a bit of attention to our list.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Ramps

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2009, 01:44:46 PM »
Also been heavily involved in coaching the AIS Boys from what I understand. Thats also a bonus. He has had some experience in dealing with players and organising them.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2009, 01:45:27 PM »
i stand to be corrected but I just couldnt see this prick being too interested in our club...I could be wrong , have been plenty of times this year...Id love it if he had an appetite to be involved but I'll wait and see  :pray
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled