Author Topic: Wayne Campbell drops out of Richmond coaching race  (Read 3859 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wayne Campbell drops out of Richmond coaching race
« on: July 15, 2009, 05:31:34 AM »
Wayne Campbell drops out of Richmond coaching race
Mike Sheahan | July 14, 2009 11:59am

RICHMOND assistant coach and former captain Wayne Campbell has withdrawn from the race for the senior coaching job next year.

Campbell, 36, told club president Gary March and head of football Craig Cameron last night he needed more time learning the complexities of the coaching business.

"I just think I'm not quite ready," he told the Herald Sun.

"I reckon I'm about 80 per cent, and that's nowhere near enough. It's just such a full-on job."

Campbell, contracted to the club for next year, said he wanted to continue as an assistant under the next coach.

"In the last few weeks, I just got a feeling I wasn't 100 per cent prepared," he said.

"What I've done so far has been a bit of a rush. It's time to take a deep breath."

Campbell was a part-time coach at the Western Bulldogs in 2007, full time in 2008 and returned to Punt Rd for the 2009 season. He said he made his decision believing it would end his dream of coaching his old club.

"My ambition to coach the Richmond Football Club is gone," Campbell said.

It was an assessment based on his belief the Tigers would appoint a coach who would finally bring success to the club that has languished at or near the bottom for much of the past 25 years.

Campbell played 297 games in yellow and black from 1991-2005. He was captain from 2001-04 and won four best and fairest awards.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25784661-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Wayne Campbell drops out of Richmond coaching race
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 05:34:32 AM »
Campbell pulls out of running
Michael Gleeson and Jake Niall | July 15, 2009

FORMER Richmond champion player and current assistant coach Wayne Campbell has pulled out of the running to be the Tigers' next senior coach, while the club has told Dean Laidley it wants to interview him for the role.

Campbell, a four-time Jack Dyer Medal winner and captain of the club for four years, was one of the favourites to get the job and was poached from the Bulldogs as a possible successor to Terry Wallace.

"I don't think I am completely ready so I don't think it would have been fair to Richmond for me to proceed," Campbell said.

"I think I am 80 per cent ready to coach so I think that is not the right thing for the Richmond Footy Club, or for me, to proceed because this is one of the more vital decisions the club will ever have.

"I want to help the club long-term and still want to be involved and I look forward to staying on and working with whoever is appointed. I know the quality of prospective coaches is very, very strong so whoever we get will be the right person to coach the club, I am sure of that."

Campbell said he recognised his decision to withdraw meant he may never get the opportunity to be the senior coach of the club, but he was comfortable with that.

"It was a difficult decision because of what Richmond means to me but my gut feeling was I was not ready so in that sense it was an easy decision," Campbell said.

"I wanted to go for it, I think I could have done the job well but I think you need to be able to do the job really, really well.

"It is an unbelievably hard and demanding job … I know you need to have a broad knowledge of a lot of things and there's a lot of different skills involved and there were a few things I wanted more experience of before I felt ready. I want to study (a management course) and travel and better prepare myself.

"I know it means I may never get the opportunity to do that job and that is fine. My ambition to coach Richmond is something that's probably gone now really and that is OK, because my loyalty is to Richmond.

"You feel like you have to do everything in a rush but I am only 36.

"I am not sure if 10 years as an assistant is better than five years but I think there are some things I just need to be in the job as an assistant for longer for. I just think it is a good time to take a breath and and say 'I am going to be in this for a long time, what is the rush'?"

Campbell is the second favourite son to withdraw from the Tigers coaching process in days after Kevin Sheedy pulled out at the weekend. Campbell's decision has none of the resentment that accompanied Sheedy's.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/campbell-pulls-out-of-running/2009/07/14/1247337122798.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Moi

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 06:56:36 AM »
Good move
If you're not confident in yourself, how are we supposed to be.
Do what Knighta did and get some experience

Jackstar is back

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:58:50 AM »
Good move
If you're not confident in yourself, how are we supposed to be.
Do what Knighta did and get some experience

Its got nothing to do with it.
Ask you all this, why dont people want the job now?  Longmire said absolutely not, and there a few others who have said, not interesed , why ????

Jackstar is back

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:00:54 AM »
Might also say they keep chasing Matthews  and he keeps saying not really interested , why ??
Richmond is a basket case thats why

Moi

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 07:25:22 AM »
Might also say they keep chasing Matthews  and he keeps saying not really interested , why ??

Then go and support another club  :banghead

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 07:36:15 AM »

hehehe

another rock solid prediction from jack is WRONG

Jackstar is back

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 07:47:26 AM »

hehehe

what, Wayne Campbell, ???  I didnt chase up to get him back to the club , did I.  One Gary March did
 ::)

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 07:53:31 AM »

hehehe

what, Wayne Campbell, ???  I didnt chase up to get him back to the club , did I.  One Gary March did

yes,but you said he woulf be the coach next year as gm had promised him the job...  hehehe

WRONG again jack

Moi

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 08:09:24 AM »

hehehe

yes,but you said he woulf be the coach next year as gm had promised him the job...  hehehe

WRONG again jack
Getting embarrassing
I reckon I would quit while I was behind  :shh :rollin

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »

hehehe

WRONG again jack
Getting embarrassing
I reckon I would quit while I was behind  :shh :rollin

So who would like to see coach the Tigers next year?

Offline nahadaman

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 08:25:41 AM »
Thank the mother of Geez for this one.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Woooohoooo!!!
That has just made my week, maybe even the rest of the season for me.

If Campbell wants to coach Richmond so bad then he needs to spend some time coaching his own side at a lower level to success, or at a bare minimum be an assistant coach at a premiership club. He needs to find out what it takes to win a flag before he can be expected to lead others to one. There's no guarantee that our new coach will see success in the next few years so if he goes away and does this for a couple of years then he can come back as an assistant again and may then be rightfully the #1 candidate to take over the job.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 08:56:40 AM »
in a way im proud of Campbell for not going for it.

Unlike others who will take any job he put the club first by admitting he is not ready.

good on him.

NEXT to withdraw will be one NATHAN BUCKLEY
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

bucks10

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »

WRONG again jack

Jack, you and Tony Sheahan arent having a good run at the minute!!!!!!