Author Topic: WALLACE BOMBSHELL - He coached to snag Cotchin  (Read 3014 times)

Ramps

WALLACE BOMBSHELL - He coached to snag Cotchin
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:32:09 AM »
Why the eff would anyone publically state this poo

---------------------------------------------

Terry Wallace coached Richmond to snag Trent Cotchin
Mark Stevens and Jon Ralph | July 21, 2009 11:37pm

FORMER coach Terry Wallace did "absolutely nothing" in a game two years ago, knowing a win would cost the Tigers prized recruit Trent Cotchin.

As the AFL continues to deny tanking exists, Wallace told the Herald Sun last night he was compromised as the Tigers took on St Kilda in Round 22, 2007.

"It was a no-win situation for everyone in the coach's box," Wallace said.

"We decided the best way to operate was just to let the players go out.

"I didn't do anything. I just let the boys play. There weren't any miracle moves in the last couple of minutes."

Richmond led by nine points 12 minutes into the final term, but the Saints kicked the last three goals to win by 10 points.

Wallace stressed he did not tank, but the comments are the biggest revelation on the subject since Tony Liberatore claimed last year Carlton threw matches to get ruckman Matthew Kreuzer.

Wallace found himself in the insidious position of knowing the Tigers needed a loss more than a victory in the MCG clash.

Aware the club would be rewarded with Cotchin and a priority pick if it finished last, Wallace barely made a move.

But Wallace said the Tigers would not have come back from six goals down earlier in the match if he had been hell-bent on tanking.

Instead, he let the match take its natural course.

While his moves did not cost the Tigers the game, he did not make moves to win it either.

A reluctant Wallace did not want to comment on possible solutions or fuel the tanking debate, but said he could not "shy away" from the scenario he was thrust into.

The issue is set to be a topic of discussion at the AFL Coaches Association's October meeting, with coaches under increasing scrutiny for list management methods.

The confirmation of Wallace's "non-actions" came as Geelong coach Mark Thompson called on the AFL to consider changing its priority pick system if West Coast can win a premiership, then receive a priority pick within two years.

The Eagles' poor 2008 season gave them a priority pick at the start of the draft's second round last year, and if they don't win another game this season, they will be handed a prized choice before the first round.

Three other clubs -- Fremantle, Melbourne and Richmond -- are also in the running for priority picks this year, provided they don't win more than four games. The tanking speculation continues to undermine the competition's integrity, but AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou was emphatic on the weekend there would be no change to the system.

But Thompson told the Herald Sun the league should keep its options open.

"The league needs to keep an open mind to change things based on current circumstances such as new teams joining and teams such as West Coast going from Grand Finals to priority pick eligibility in a short space of time," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25817330-19742,00.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 03:24:02 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: WALLACE BOMBSHELL
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:45:32 AM »
Raines on Reiwoldt lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: WALLACE BOMBSHELL
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 01:49:09 AM »
But Andy D told us there's no such thing as tanking. He wouldn't tell us fibs would he :wallywink

Some may argue that was Plough's best coaching performance in his whole 5 years  ;D. A meaningless loss we won out of in the long run :thumbsup.

Seriously that game especially the last 10 minutes was very suss at the time. We were dominating and all over the Saints in that last quarter and then all of a sudden for no apparent reason we start chipping it around the backline when we hadn't played that way all day. We even had free players in open space on the wing but our defenders ignored them to chip backwards and sideways until we turned over the ball  ???. I'm not complaining but I remember sitting with WP at that game and saying afterwards those last 10 mins were very suspicious.

A number of clubs have tanked so it's no surprise. Pies and Hawks in 2005, Blues in 2007 and now the Eagles and Dees this year. While the carrot is there and the AFL pretend the issue doesn't exist clubs will exploit the rule.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Former Richmond coach Terry Wallace's day off nailed bonus (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 03:25:49 AM »
Former Richmond coach Terry Wallace's day off nailed bonus
Mark Stevens | July 23, 2009 11:57pm

TERRY Wallace's heart was telling him he could not coach to lose. His head was telling him it made no sense to coach to win.

Feeling uncomfortable and compromised as the tanking debate raged, he did neither.

Wallace earned a reputation as a sharp match-day tactician with a trick-bag full of moves.

Yet on a dark day at the MCG two years ago, he barely made any.

The former Richmond coach basically sat on his hands and watched the Round 22 match against St Kilda in 2007 unfold.

His magnetic board man normally had the toughest job at the club. This day, at the MCG, he had it easy.

Chris Hyde, a hard worker more than a game breaker, was given rare extra time to play in the midfield.

Other players were left in spots longer than usual.

Chris Newman, the Tigers' best player that day with 32 disposals, was on the bench when the game was up for grabs late.

Wallace, though, has clarified that strange twist, saying Newman was on the bench because of an interchange mix-up involving Shane Tuck.

The coach sat back in the box and Newman looked on from the bench as a dropped mark by Graham Polak and an untimely turnover or two cost the Tigers the game.

Richmond led by nine points 12 minutes into the final term when Kayne Pettifer kicked a behind.

But the Saints kicked the final three goals of the game, winning by 10 points.

It was the perfect result.

Wallace knew the club was far better off long term finishing last on the ladder.

A loss ensured the Tigers would finish last on 14 points and come under the 16-point threshold, guaranteeing the club Trent Cotchin and a priority pick after the first round of the draft.

Wallace said the Tigers knew Carlton would take Matthew Kreuzer with the No. 1 pick it would earn for winning four games or fewer two years running.

If the Tigers had beaten St Kilda, they would have handed pick No. 2 to Carlton and been forced to settle for pick No. 3.

Given Chris Judd was leaving West Coast, under that scenario the Blues would have surely given up pick No. 2 to the Eagles to land their man.

That would have given West Coast the option of taking Cotchin with No. 2, leaving the Tigers to miss out.

The other reward for losing was pick No. 18, the priority after the first round, which the Tigers used to take Alex Rance.

Both Cotchin and Rance look 10-year players.

In an interview 40 minutes before that game, Wallace conceded he felt compromised going into battle.

Looking back on his experience of being torn by the lure of a priority pick, Wallace told Channel 7 recently: "As a coach, it was a very tough day at the office.

"I just coached and let them play in the exactly the same positions they played in all day."

Given the rewards on offer, you can understand why.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25817488-19742,00.html

Offline tugga

• Future Richmond star
Re: WALLACE BOMBSHELL - He coached to snag Cotchin
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 07:29:31 AM »
Hardly earth shattering news. I would have been very angry had we won that game. Tanking exists. Demitriou can put his head in the sand all he wants.
We will rise again and when we do, they will know.

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 07:43:16 AM »
Nice of Terry to come out and generate some negative publicity about the club.

Moi

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 07:48:32 AM »
I don't think this farce of a situation should continue
Unless of course the AFL wants to ruin the game entirely, if it hasn't already
I don't blame supporters wanting their team to lose because that's the situation the AFL have created, but it just doesn't seem right to me that winning isn't everything any more.
It's an absolute joke.
I have no problem with him highlighting the issue
It has to stop
 :help

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 08:06:57 AM »
I agree Froars, I cant see a difference between what Wallace did and other coaches bringing in kids and not playing experienced players, it all says the same thing to me. "Winning is not the most important thing right now". I hate the thought of tanking, and I hope now that a coach has more or less admitted to it, the AFL will pull their heads out of their proverbials :banghead

Offline tugga

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 08:19:50 AM »
I don't blame supporters wanting their team to lose because that's the situation the AFL have created, but it just doesn't seem right to me that winning isn't everything any more.
It's an absolute joke.
It has to stop
Completely agree. I might get caned for saying this, but I have no interest in going to many (if any) more games this year, because I'm not certain whether the club plans on winning any more. Why should I invest the time and money to get off my arse and go when we don't even plan on winning?
I don't blame the club or the clubs who are doing it. I solely blame the AFL and that moron Demetriou for pretending it doesn't exist.
We will rise again and when we do, they will know.

Moi

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 08:25:13 AM »
It's an absolute joke.
It has to stop
Completely agree. I might get caned for saying this, but I have no interest in going to many (if any) more games this year, because I'm not certain whether the club plans on winning any more. Why should I invest the time and money to get off my behind and go when we don't even plan on winning?
I don't blame the club or the clubs who are doing it. I solely blame the AFL and that moron Demetriou for pretending it doesn't exist.

You ain't alone there, I feel exactly the same
But you'll be called a bad supporter  ::)
Wallace recommended a system a few years back, but the AFL just sat back and said there wasn't a problem

Although I do have a conspiracy theory that Mike Fitzpatrick, as President of the AFL, thought it was an ok system when the Blues were doing well out of their little rort  :banghead

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 08:40:03 AM »
This is the game that he admitted on radio before the match that winning would be pretty much losing.

He didn't do anything as a coach that day and we nearly beat St. Kilda. If he did coach, we'd have lost by 10 goals!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
A loss ensured the Tigers would finish last on 14 points and come under the 16-point threshold, guaranteeing the club Trent Cotchin and a priority pick after the first round of the draft.

We have already been punished for getting an extra top 20 draft pick.

We got Jordan McMahon.....  :banghead

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline wayne again

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 11:17:03 AM »

The publicity may not be good but thankyou Terry, sacrifice 1 game to get a superstar for  200+ games.
 :bow :bow :bow
The system needs fixing and most likely will, take avantage while you can.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 11:31:51 AM »
Its when you line these priority picks up with the players they got that you see what a huge lure tanking truly is.

Demetrio needs to pull his head out of ... the sand, and change the system.

Stripes

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 12:22:27 PM »
Its when you line these priority picks up with the players they got that you see what a huge lure tanking truly is.

Demetrio needs to pull his head out of ... the sand, and change the system.

Stripes

On this I think we (pro-tankers and anti-tankers) all agree.