Author Topic: Tigers back on the track  (Read 7543 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Tigers back on the track
« on: October 22, 2004, 03:22:41 PM »
Tigers back on the track
22 October, 2004
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

New Richmond coach Terry Wallace cast a discerning eye over the Tigers’ first pre-season training session, at Punt Road yesterday (Thursday, October 21).

Overall, he was pleased with what he saw from the 0-4 year players who kicked off Richmond’s pre-season campaign. But he was also quick to point out there were some key areas that needed to be addressed from the outset.

“The first thing that happened was that they had their skinfolds taken, to find out where they were at, and everyone’s come back in good nick,” he said.

“With respect to on the ground, although it was only a skill-based session, I was probably a little disappointed with the skill level of the group. But I suppose that’s what you could expect first-up after a decent break.

“The concentration levels of the group is also something that really needs to improve.

“When we’re training as professional sports people, we just need to be right on our concentration levels.

“Brian Royal (new Richmond assistant coach) spoke to them about Tiger Woods and how many times he would hit a golf ball each week. Obviously, it would be thousands, but every one is hit in a professional manner.

“He’s not lackadaisical in his preparation at any stage – and we’ve got to get to that stage. Our players can’t afford to get bored with what they’re doing with repetition work because that repetition is going to get them better at their trade.

“So, it’s going to take a little bit of adjustment for them to get used to how much work – and how much repetition work – they’re going to do. But they’ll get the results at the end of the day.”

Wallace was particularly impressed with the enthusiasm and energy levels within the young playing group.

“The energy was fantastic,” he said.

“They stepped back inside after the skill development part of the program and went through their boxing, weights program and physical testing, and they were terrific in that. The atmosphere in the rooms was great and really good to be a part of.

“Our young players at this footy club are certainly setting a very, very high standard in the way that they want to go about their footy and they’re super-enthusiastic, which you would expect from young players.

“I’m just hoping that the next two waves of players that come in go about it exactly the same way.”

The 5-7 year players start their pre-season campaign next week, with the 8-plus years’ group the following week.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=175844
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers back on the track
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 04:40:00 PM »
“With respect to on the ground, although it was only a skill-based session, I was probably a little disappointed with the skill level of the group. But I suppose that’s what you could expect first-up after a decent break.

“The concentration levels of the group is also something that really needs to improve.

“When we’re training as professional sports people, we just need to be right on our concentration levels.

“Brian Royal (new Richmond assistant coach) spoke to them about Tiger Woods and how many times he would hit a golf ball each week. Obviously, it would be thousands, but every one is hit in a professional manner.

“He’s not lackadaisical in his preparation at any stage – and we’ve got to get to that stage. Our players can’t afford to get bored with what they’re doing with repetition work because that repetition is going to get them better at their trade.

Hell-lay-loo-ya

Concentration,skills, enthusiasm

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bow :bow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 04:42:21 PM »

“The first thing that happened was that they had their skinfolds taken, to find out where they were at, and everyone’s come back in good nick,” he said.

Good to hear from our youngsters. No fatty Pies at Tigerland  ;). The enthusiasm comment doesn't surprise me either. Our kids seem to know more about leadership in their little fingers than our senior players.

Some of our 5+ year players are in for a shock. Terry might be in for shock as well when he sees certain senior individuals kicking actions in the flesh trying to hit a target.

“So, it’s going to take a little bit of adjustment for them to get used to how much work – and how much repetition work – they’re going to do. But they’ll get the results at the end of the day.”

Don't tell me we're actually going to do at Tigerland drill work after drill work at training until we get it right! Nah this is too good to be true  ;D. Talk about almost daily indirect backhanders towards Spud and Co.

:bow  :bow  :bow @ TW. He's already in the space of a few weeks in the job outlined our deficencies and implemented plans to target them. He's obviously been doing his homework well before he got the gig at Punt Road  :thumbsup. Compare that to his predecessors who had NFI after spending years in the job.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 04:50:16 PM »
Good to hear from our youngsters. No fatty Pies at Tigerland  ;). The enthusiasm comment doesn't surprise me either. Our kids seem to know more about leadership in their little fingers than our senior players.

How true MT - great for the kids and makes them all the more impressive. An indictment on the senior group and our previous coaching regime.

I am serious but I cannot help but get excited about the future - we seem to have a plan for the short & long term.  Finally after 20+ years of chopping and changing plans or just not having one we have one - and looking at it seems so..................................er....................................................

SIMPLE

I think I need a drink because of the shock of it all  :cheers

He's obviously been doing his homework well before he got the gig at Punt Road :thumbsup.

Spot on MT - Tezza said on Wednesday night that he had watched ever AFL game of the last 2 years.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 04:52:19 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 04:58:05 PM »
The 5+ years players will get a pounding once they return.  Hope they bring their lube.

Poor spud, he's getting a kaning even after he's long gone.  LMAO at Terry thinking WTF have these people been doing for the past 5 years.

Terry did a great job at the dogs with mid aged average players and with the lack of good draft picks.  Imagine what he can do with our current bunch of impressionable kids, and the cream of the crop kids we pick up this and next year.

Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 05:07:23 PM »
I am serious but I cannot help but get excited about the future - we seem to have a plan for the short & long term.  Finally after 20+ years of chopping and changing plans or just not having one we have one - and looking at it seems so..................................er....................................................

SIMPLE

How true WP. We actually are following a well thought out plan  :gobdrop.

I think I need a drink because of the shock of it all   :cheers

55% alcohol Chateusse  :lol

Bulluss

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 05:10:24 PM »
You cant help but get excited when you hear some of these comments.

Its good to know that our boys are finally in good hands, i am sure in a couple of weeks time some of those players will be wondering what has hit them and thats what we need.

It is time for our players to earn their money.

LMAO@ Tiger Woods being our number 1 member.

Maybe his mrs can rub our boys down!! what the hell she can even rub me down ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 05:22:38 PM »
LMAO at Terry thinking WTF have these people been doing for the past 5 years.

:rollin

Reckon we've been saying the same thing for the past 20  :scream

Terry did a great job at the dogs with mid aged average players and with the lack of good draft picks.  Imagine what he can do with our current bunch of impressionable kids, and the cream of the crop kids we pick up this and next year.

Although this is still fantasy and a long way off but if we draft smartly and our youngsters continue to develop at the rate they have been then about 3/4 of our side in 3 years time will be first and second round draftees. Add to that the likes of Brown, Johnson, Krakouer and Newman and we potentially could have a bloody awesome side full of quality across all lines.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 05:19:35 PM »
Bottom line is Terry Wallace wants to win. He is a winner - he played in Preimerships and as HarryH said he took a very average Bulldogs team to 2 premlim finals.

The only chance we have of winning consistently long term is to develop our own young players and make them winners. Playing aggressive, fast attacking footy can and will do that.

For the first time in such a long long time we have that chance.

PS: I forgot to mention that Tezza did speak of assistant coaches and that he is still looking for another assistant - one straight out of the game and a ruck coach (probably part time) We can only hope :cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 06:42:54 PM »
The only chance we have of winning consistently long term is to develop our own young players and make them winners.

Exactly WP.

PS: I forgot to mention that Tezza did speak of assistant coaches and that he is still looking for another assistant - one straight out of the game and a ruck coach (probably part time) We can only hope :cheers

Good to hear that Wallace wants to do that  :thumbsup.

Have no problems with a part time ruck coach. Just need someone to come in now and then to critique and offer advice. The main thing is we get one especially as we're drafting one or two young ruckman. We are a unprofessional Club without one.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 11:59:06 PM »
It's been reported that Ashley Prescott was approached to see if he was interested in an AFL assistant coach's job (not sure if that means us) but turned it down for the meantime to stay at Claremont in the WAFL.

-------------------------------

Prescott commits to Claremont
Posted Oct 23, 2004 - 18:09 PM

By Russell Dower

Claremont coach Ashley Prescott has played down the speculation he may be looking at accepting an assistant's role with an AFL club.

Prescott has had several AFL clubs inquire if he was interested in moving into the AFL coaching ranks but no offers were made.

With Richmond still to appoint their full coaching staff to assist Terry Wallace, there was speculation that Prescott, a former Richmond midfielder may be lured back to Punt Road.

"There was some interest shown a while back sounding me out but I hadnt heard much more" Prescott said.

"I was not interested and while it was nice to be contacted I am committed to Claremont.

Prescott remains under contract to Claremont and believes it is more beneficial to remain with the club.

" I want to spend time learning the caper and coaching my own team.

http://www.footygoss.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=15093&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

froars

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 09:06:22 AM »
When you're posting about Ashley Gorgeous, could you pls supply a picture in the future, MT so i don't have to get my own  :rollin

http://www.shirtlessafl.com/fremantle/prescott.html

teflon69

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 09:38:26 AM »
wasnt anyone at training?
i could read greenbergs report on the RFC site  :banghead

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2004, 01:06:27 PM »
It's been reported that Ashley Prescott was approached to see if he was interested in an AFL assistant coach's job (not sure if that means us) but turned it down for the meantime to stay at Claremont in the WAFL.

I think it was us MT - Scot Palmer said in his "Punchlines" in today's (24/10/04) Sunday Herald Sun the following (refer page 42)

"Richmond Coach Terry Wallace has yet to decided the final memeber of his coaching team with former Tiger-Docker Ashley Prescott still in the mix. Prescott coached Claremont in the WAFL last year. Retired Roo David King is another on Wallace's books"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2004, 05:49:35 PM »
When you're posting about Ashley Gorgeous, could you pls supply a picture in the future, MT so i don't have to get my own  :rollin

http://www.shirtlessafl.com/fremantle/prescott.html

Doesn't do anything for me froars :P ;D

Suring up your vice-presidential credentials for the Tiger perverts society I see  ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 05:52:53 PM by mightytiges »