Author Topic: St Kilda wants McMahon (Australian)  (Read 8329 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
St Kilda wants McMahon (Australian)
« on: August 12, 2009, 04:41:50 AM »
 :o

St Kilda sizes up McMahon
Greg Denham | August 12, 2009

TEN days ago Jordan McMahon achieved every player's dream by kicking the winning goal after the siren at the MCG to guide lowly Richmond to its fifth victory of the season.

Next year he could be playing for his third club, the 2009 premiership favourite, St Kilda.

Despite being contracted at Punt Road for another season, the last of a lucrative three-year deal that lured him away from the Western Bulldogs at the end of 2007, McMahon could be headed to Moorabbin via the AFL's player-exchange period in  October.

While neither the Tigers nor the Saints have been in direct contact over McMahon's future, it is understood both clubs could mutually decide the fate of the 26-year-old, who was the Bulldogs' first selection, at No10 overall, in the 2000 national draft.

The Saints are known to be keen on him as a back-up player, which fits snuggly into coach Ross Lyon's philosophy of having confidence in recycled players from rival clubs.

But before any deal is struck, there's the matter of McMahon's $320,000 salary next year, and if the Saints remain interested in a trade, almost certainly for a draft selection, they will require the Tigers to pay a portion of his 2010 contract.

St Kilda's initial inquiry into McMahon has been made through his agent Alex McDonald.

Saints list manager Matthew Drain has intimate knowledge of McMahon, having worked at Whitten Oval as the Bulldogs' general manager of football operations before joining St Kilda late in 2007.

McMahon played 114 games with the Bulldogs between 2001 and 2007 before joining the Tigers.

Richmond gave up selection No19 in the draft for him and in return with that pick, the Dogs secured the promising Callan Ward, who has already played 22 senior games in his first two years, including 16 this season.

During the same period, McMahon has played 31 for the Tigers, but only nine this season, where he has spent many weekends finding touch in the VFL.

McMahon has played the past four games, under caretaker coach Jade Rawlings, and has averaged 21 possessions, including a 26-disposal performance in round 16 against North Melbourne.

The unbeaten Saints have had enormous success this year with a number of recycled players from other clubs, including ruckmen Michael Gardiner and Steven King, Adam Schneider, Sean Dempster, Jason Gram, Farren Ray and Zac Dawson, who are all currently ranked in their best 22.

Former Brisbane player Colm Begley played his first game for the Saints last Saturday, in their win over Hawthorn, after 29 games in three seasons with the Lions.

After just one trade was completed last year -- Robbie Warnock from Fremantle to Carlton -- involving a first- or second-round national draft selection, this season's top-finishing clubs are expected to be more active.

Because the national draft talent pool thins markedly after about the top 10 selections, it is anticipated that clubs with lower-order selections in the first round are preparing to trade first-round picks to recruit experienced talent from other clubs.

A number of club recruiting scouts this week told The Australian there was a "distinct gap" in the available teenage draft talent after about the first 10 selections.

Meanwhile, out-of-favour West Coast forward Ashley Hansen, 26, is set to join teammate Mark Seaby in seeking a trade to another club in search of better opportunities to play on a more regular basis.

The 2006 premiership key forward has played 76 of a possible 139 games in his six years at the Eagles, including nine matches this season, but he has not been a member of West Coast's victories in the past two rounds over Essendon and the Bulldogs.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25916928-2722,00.html

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Re: St Kilda wants McMahon (Australian)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 05:05:50 AM »
What a beautiful thing to wake up and read. :lol We'll take what we can get.

Gee, a first round pick would be lovely :P

Jackstar is back

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 06:08:32 AM »
Mustbe April Fools day

Ramps

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 06:17:46 AM »
Mustbe April Fools day

thats what I thought. Its gotta be a joke surely.

Tigermonk

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 06:24:47 AM »
OMFG this has to be the dumbest poo l ever read.
This is the level journo's have gone to write a false story.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 07:33:04 AM »
Would be the funniest thign to happen in footy in 2009 if true

Jordie - you would go with all our blessing  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 07:38:12 AM »
on a serious note, its not uncommon for journos to "'talk up"" players that they know to try and increase there currency..

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 08:42:55 AM »
OE you must have a lot of time on your hands to dream up a story like that!!  :lol

We'll take Armitage or a 3rd rounder please Saints!!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 08:47:53 AM »

PINCH ME!! CAN SOMEONE PINCH ME IM IN SHOCK

GOTTA TO BE A JOKE, IF NOT XMAS HAS COME EARLY
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 08:52:05 AM »
Happy to buy Greg Denham a beer or 30.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »
OMFG this has to be the dumbest poo l ever read.
This is the level journo's have gone to write a false story.

Hey TM, ssshhhh.  We all know the truth but if they want to pump up his tyres to another club then let them I say.    :shh

Tigermonk

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 10:39:45 AM »
 :lol Old Smokey  :thumbsup  :bow

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 11:03:58 AM »
I would take McMahon + 4th round to Saints for a third round pick. Use his salary to front load Deledio's contract.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 12:58:30 PM »
I will believe it when I see it...
Unleash the tornado

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 05:08:47 PM »
id doubt this would materialise,...theyd have him for nothing, we'd be better served retaining him than pick 50 +...Id be interested in McGuuire to either use up forward or on trade in 3 way deal as he would have suitors elsewhere...all depends on view of NEW coach...he seems surplus though with edwards growing in stature and andy collins to find a place in the side
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled