Author Topic: "A massive gulf": Rawlings aftermatch media conference  (Read 479 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"A massive gulf": Rawlings aftermatch media conference
« on: August 15, 2009, 10:18:36 PM »
A massive gulf: Rawlings
richmondfc.com.au
By Jason Phelan 6:42 PM Sat 15 August, 2009

SATURDAY'S blowout loss to Collingwood painfully highlighted the gulf between Richmond and the best teams in the competition, coach Jade Rawlings said.

The Tigers were no match for the top-four bound Magpies at the MCG and were exposed in several key areas of the game on their way to the 93-point defeat.

"We came up against a very well-oiled machine in Collingwood," Rawlings said.

"Their chemistry to be able to play for each other and understand what their style is is very good. They're probably as good a team as we've come up against this year.

"They really taught our guys a lesson about what's required with work rate both to put pressure on the opposition, but also to work over to where the ball carrier to run and support.

"It's hard when you're a side that's where we're at. There's a massive gulf between where our team is at and where Collingwood is currently, but if we keep giving the ball back to the opposition who are very skilled it makes it hard.

"I think the guys tried, but we were just well short in the trying stakes."

Richmond terrier Jake King was at Alan Didak all day and was reported for striking the Magpie playmaker in a second term that saw an old-fashioned melee erupt after a strong King tackle on his oppponent.

Rawlings wouldn't comment on the incident, but added he had no problem with King's approach.

"King plays for his life every week. He's hungry. He gets set some big jobs and he's a bit of a tone setter as far as being committed to sticking to a task for four quarters," he said.

"We didn't give Jake any individual tactics [to carry out]. I wouldn't encourage Jake to do anything unsavoury, but he's prepared to compete."

Rawlings agreed there were few positives to take from the lopsided contest, but singled out Shane Edwards for praise for his work rate in running with livewire forward Leon Davis.

With just two games left in a season to forget, players and coaches alike at Punt Road could be forgiven for longing for an end to it all, but Rawlings dismissed the suggestion out of hand.

"I'm certainly not looking for the end," he said.

"I've spoken to the playing group about not looking for that. Sometimes when you've been through a lot in a season as a footy club and as a team that could be an issue amongst the group, but I've asked that the players don’t think that way.

"Whilst it's difficult and we've come up against two red-hot teams in the last couple of weeks in Sydney and Collingwood, there are still two games of league footy where you get the chance to represent Richmond and they need to respect that." 

The sub-par display comes at a bad time for Rawlings as he pushes his case for the top job next season, but he maintained his own ambitions were the last thing on his mind after the game.

"It's not about me. I'm included, I'm part of this team – don't get me wrong – but it's not about whether it hurts me or not. It's more about the footy club in the broader sense," he said.

"Even though we are a fair way away from the best teams, [it's about the supporters] being able to walk away saying that there was something there to hang their hat on.

"Unfortunately with our last two performances they'd be disappointed with what they've seen."

Tom Hislop was also reported for striking Shane O'Bree and Ben Cousins sat out the final term on the bench in what Rawlings said was just a precautionary measure due to tightness in his legs.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/82790/default.aspx