Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 214665 times)

Ramps

Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #1275 on: August 21, 2010, 11:17:42 AM »
Keep Cousins away from the Pies. Cousins staying at RFC in some capacity is a must.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1276 on: August 21, 2010, 04:54:49 PM »
It doesn't look good for Cuz. Bandage around his left thigh. This could've been his final game  :(

Cuz just interviewed said he thought he definitely did his hammy when it happened but he went into the rooms and now he's hoping it's just cramp. He's rating himself as better than 50 to play next week. Fingers crossed  :pray
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1277 on: August 21, 2010, 05:03:54 PM »
I reckon that grin on his face said it all, he's going to play but didnt want to tell the seagull, it looked like he was moving fine as he walked off and was looking pretty happy, not like he'd just played his last. Thats my positive spin anyway lol :gotigers

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1278 on: August 21, 2010, 05:24:59 PM »
He'll have a jab and play 5 min bursts.

He'll wanna play and the group will want him to play and it will attract an extra 10k.
Go Tigers!

jackstar is back again

« Reply #1279 on: August 21, 2010, 06:54:51 PM »
was in rooms after the game, he will play next week :thumbsup

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #1280 on: August 21, 2010, 08:13:08 PM »
he'd play even if it was slightly strained, prop him in a pocket for last 20 min of the game next week..least we could do
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1281 on: August 21, 2010, 08:25:43 PM »
Deserves to be chaired off, must play
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1282 on: August 21, 2010, 09:27:09 PM »
Cuz hopeful for farewell match
richmondfc.com.au
By Ben Broad
6:25 PM Sat 21 August, 2010

RICHMOND is hopeful retiring midfielder Ben Cousins has only suffered cramp to his left hamstring and will be fit to play a farewell match in round 22.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick says scans in the coming days will determine whether the Brownlow medallist has suffered any muscle damage.

The 32-year-old left the field late in the third term of Saturday’s 21-point loss to St Kilda and did not return, raising fears his career may have come to a premature end.

Cousins, who earlier this week announced he would retire from AFL football, hopes to farewell Tigers fans when his club meets Port Adelaide at Etihad Stadium in next Sunday’s clash.

Regardless of what scans show, Hardwick said Cousins was experienced enough to make his own decision on whether he would be fit to take the field next week.

“At the end of the day, Ben’s been in this league for what, 15 years? So he’ll make the call whether he’s right to play,” Hardwick said after the match.

“If he’s right to play, he’ll play.

“He feels he just cramped in the hamstrings.

“He’ll have scans at some stage and undoubtedly there’ll be a cast of thousands down there this week to see whether he’s up and going.

“We’re pretty positive that with the right rehab and right recovery that he’ll get up and play, but we’ll obviously assess that during the week.”

Hardwick said his club was determined to give Cousins the “best possible” send off.

Immediately following the match, Cousins told Channel 10 he was a “50-50” chance to play next week.

“All we want to do is send him off with a win," Hardwick said.

"[To] sing that song one last time would be terrific for him.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/100877/default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1283 on: August 21, 2010, 10:37:23 PM »
was in rooms after the game, he will play next week :thumbsup
Good to hear Jack.

Even if he is a touch doubtful you'd reckon as Pope said he'll get a jab and play. If he does the hammy properly then he doesn't have to care as it's his final game.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #1284 on: August 21, 2010, 10:38:25 PM »
Must play - Doesn't matter

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1285 on: August 22, 2010, 02:37:24 AM »
Ben Cousins's final fling doubt
Tony Sheahan
Sunday Herald Sun
August 22, 2010

SUPERSTAR Ben Cousins faces an uphill battle to be fit for a farewell match after injuring his hamstring.
Cousins left the field late in the third quarter against St Kilda with soreness high on his left leg and could not go back on.

"I should be all right," he told Richmond club president Gary March and football manager Craig Cameron in the Etihad Stadium changerooms after the match.

Coach Damien Hardwick is hopeful his star midfielder, who announced his retirement during the week, can recover for next Sunday's clash against Port Adelaide one of his team's best yesterday.

"All we want to do is send him off with a win," Hardwick said. "To sing that song one last time would be terrific for him.

"He is an important player to our football club and we want to send him off in the best possible way."

He confirmed the 32-year-old would have scans on his left hamstring.

"He feels he just cramped in the hamstring," Hardwick said. "He'll have scans at some stage, but we're pretty positive with the right rehab and recovery, it'll get up, and we'll assess that during the week.

"We want him to finish on a positive note and we don't want him to do any damage. Ben will make the call and if he is right to play, he'll play."

Cousins had 20 disposals, eight marks and two tackles and was among the best afield when he went off.

"What he does is create the play," Hardwick said. "He is one of those guys who can make something out of nothing. He was very, very good.

"Through the middle of the ground you can see the quality of play he gets up and going and score involvements were very good, So he was a big loss after he went down."

Cousins's tore his left hamstring in his first game in the yellow and black against Carlton in Round 1, 2008. He missed weeks, that time.

Teammate and close friend Jake King was confident Cousins would play his finale for the Tigers.

"He'll make next week, the big fella. He wouldn't miss it for the world, and we'll make sure of that," King said.

"He will be all right. He'll get in the gym and do a few bicep curls, as he does, and get himself up."

King has his own injury concerns, with the fiery utility revealing he has been playing with a cracked rib.

The injury came in Round 17 against Collingwood, with teammate Andrew Browne cannoning into him during the last quarter.

"It is still a bit sore," he said. "You cop a knock every now and then and it takes the wind out of you and it takes a while to come back, but it's something I've learnt to deal with and push through it.

"We've got one week left and you throw your body into absolutely everything," the tough nut said.

A second-quarter clash yesterday with St Kilda's James Gwilt saw King floored momentarily after the pair went for a loose ball.

King regained his composure and leapt to his feet to resume play and was adamant he wouldn't give his opponent any satisfaction.

"It did knock the wind out of me, but I got up and puffed the chest out. It's hard being five foot nothing," King said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ben-cousinss-final-fling-doubt/story-e6frf9jf-1225908260603

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1286 on: August 22, 2010, 07:24:06 AM »
LOL at Kingy's comments.

Has cut a lot of the silly crap out of his game and is proving useful in our side.

Didn't think I would be seeing him next year in the yellow and black but has earnt a spot

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1287 on: August 22, 2010, 09:20:05 AM »
So true chucky. He's learning to channel his aggression at the ball rather than the man and the benefits are starting to show.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1288 on: August 23, 2010, 04:12:44 AM »
Cousins faces a painful decision
Jon Pierik
August 23, 2010

HIS teammates want him to finish his career ''in style'', but an ill-timed hamstring injury means Ben Cousins risks ending it in pain if he plays against Port Adelaide on Sunday.

Cousins is hopeful of facing the Power at Etihad Stadium despite rating himself less than an even-money chance on Saturday after hurting himself in the match against St Kilda.

''Fingers crossed I have one more [game] left,'' he said.

''When I pulled up, I thought I was gone. But I have been able to jog and I have some good strength in it, so hopefully one more.''

Debate has begun over whether he should have a cortisone injection to help get through the game, although leading sports medico Dr Peter Larkins said that course presented its own risks.

''If you jab up a hamstring so you can't feel it, it means you are going to tear it more when he has to chase and run as a midfield player,'' Larkins said yesterday.

''You could do that but, again, it's going to be an interesting round-table medical discussion with the match committee.

''You hope that his hamstring works and he doesn't do a Mick McGuane where he runs around and he can't feel his leg properly.

''I would think it's unlikely the doctors are going to go down the pain-block injection risk. They are going to say you can either kick and run or you can't and you have to make the call.''

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has said it will be up to Cousins to make that call.

Teammate Trent Cotchin was optimistic the Brownlow medallist would finish a decorated yet controversial career in a fitting manner.

''He certainly still had a fair bit of power in the legs, so hopefully … he can finish off his career in style as we want to see him do,'' he said yesterday.

Larkins told Triple M the Tigers would have to be prepared to finish with only three fit men on the bench if Cousins was selected.

''I think it will be a huge risk to play him but it's very unusual circumstances. It's the end of his senior career, it's round 22 and Richmond have got the prospect of being one short if he goes and aggravates it early,'' he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cousins-faces-a-painful-decision-20100822-13avd.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1289 on: August 23, 2010, 04:49:58 AM »
Cuz could be hosting The Amazing Race according to the Herald-Sun...

HAVING run his footy career race, Ben Cousins is suddenly in demand as a TV star. The Richmond footballer, who has very publicly battled drug and lifestyle problems, is reportedly a surprise name on the list of potential hosts of The Amazing Race.