Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 291086 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #1455 on: September 21, 2020, 05:03:00 AM »

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1456 on: September 21, 2020, 06:14:31 PM »
So I just watched the game again and I only counted 6 free kicks to us.

3x head high
1x deliberate out of bounds (which isn’t really a free kick if it’s blatant)
2x holding the balls

So from our 61 tackles we got rewarded twice with HTB.

And of the 3 head high free kicks we got, 2 of them were paid advantage, so we had the footy anyway.

FMD!

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1457 on: October 02, 2020, 08:19:26 PM »
How was that holding the ball against Vlastuin when there was no tackle and the ball was knocked out of his grasp

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1458 on: October 02, 2020, 08:30:00 PM »
That was 50 to Kmac

Cheat stuffers

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1459 on: October 02, 2020, 09:06:06 PM »
These umpires are making conscious decisions to not award free kicks. The K-Mac non-50 was obviously not in the contest.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #1460 on: October 02, 2020, 09:15:04 PM »
Nah, not deliberate, there was a Lions player nearby... absolute crap if you watched the replay of our H&A game today, we got pinged every time.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1461 on: October 02, 2020, 10:18:03 PM »
The umpies are heading down the race to sing the song with the lions in the huddle
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1462 on: October 02, 2020, 10:20:53 PM »
Hooter - where you been ya old lefty scumbag?  :santa
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1463 on: October 02, 2020, 11:06:43 PM »
Mollison is a stuffen campaigner
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 11:42:02 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Let them play': Hardwick lashes 'trigger happy' umps (Nine)
« Reply #1464 on: October 02, 2020, 11:43:47 PM »
'Let them play': Damien Hardwick lashes 'trigger happy' umpires after Richmond's undisciplined loss

By Chris De Silva
Nine WWOS
October 3, 2020

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has urged "trigger happy" umpires to allow players to play in finals after his side paid a hefty price for a number of 50m penalties.

Hardwick's Tigers gave away a remarkable four 50m penalties in the first half alone, with one double-penalty giving the Brisbane Lions a vital goal just before the half-time siren.

Lachie Neale's goal gave Brisbane a 14-point half-time lead, and the Tigers were unable to claw into the lead in the second half as the Lions ran out 10. 9. (69) to 8. 6. (54) winners at the Gabba.

Following the loss, which sees Richmond play their first semi-final since 2001, Hardwick lamented his players' lack of discipline which reared its ugly head.

Richmond will have to traverse the long path if they are to reach the Grand Final this year after the loss (Getty)

The veteran coach called the umpires "trigger happy" at the half-time break and urged his side to adjust accordingly, and expanded on his point after the loss.

"The situation is it is a volatile game and players will get angry," he said.

"At the end of the day the game is umpired in a certain way. It is a final, let them play. It's for the players to play."

While Hardwick admitted that "the better team won", he was left frustrated by the Tigers' controllable errors.

"I just thought we gave away undisciplined free kicks at the back end of that second quarter and the reality is that was the difference in the game," he said.

"I think there were two 50m goals and a couple of other goals we gave away through stoppages.

"It's disappointing because we control that so we've got to be better at that part of the game. Every now and then it rears its ugly head and it's on the big stage."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/damien-hardwick-criticises-trigger-happy-umpires-after-richmond-undisciplined-play/6a21baa1-9b45-4ea9-8bd2-5414a530c009?ocid=Social-AFLFS

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1465 on: October 03, 2020, 03:54:23 AM »
The Tigers were the third worst free-kick team in 2020, winning the count just four times during the home and away season. Only Essendon and Hawthorn fared worse with umpires.

The free kick count would finish 17-11 in Brisbane’s favour. More free kicks were paid in Thursday night’s qualifying final, with Port Adelaide finishing with a 16-15 lead in the count.

Post-match, Hardwick’s press conference began with him detailing why his team’s sloppy work in the clinches cost them the game.

“I just thought we gave away undisciplined free-kicks in the back end of that second quarter,” he said.

“The reality was that was the difference in the game. There was two 50 metre goals and a couple of other goals we gave away from stoppage and it’s disappointing. We control that. We have to be better to be better in that part of the game.

When pressed on the similarities between Friday night’s match and te club’s Round 11 loss to Port Adelaide (when the free-kick count was 22-11 in favour of the Power), Hardwick conceded a pattern has emerged.

“Every now and then it rears its ugly head on the big stage. It was really disappointing,” he said.

“The players know and understand. The situation is that it’s a volatile game. Players will get angry.”

Back in 2013, Hardwick had the umpires in his sights also, but his view was noticeably different.

“The thing that we just like as a ... fraternity is just the consistency,” he said.

“My theory ... is the rules are the rules. If they’re there, pay the free kicks.’’

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-brisbane-vs-richmond-highlights-double-50-metre-penalty-lachie-neale-goal-lions-tigers-fight-gabba-finals/news-story/c9760ed1aaad7ebac38acdd0fedc5332

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1466 on: October 03, 2020, 12:26:34 PM »
Hooter - where you been ya old lefty scumbag?  :santa
hiding from COVID, Trump, Frysenberg, my mum died so the old man needs a bit of looking after. 
Lots of people name their swords......

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1467 on: October 03, 2020, 12:42:13 PM »
It's time our players grew up.  We've been playing with fire for a few years now and it cost us dearly last night

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1468 on: October 03, 2020, 04:03:54 PM »
Caro was wondering why the umps were wearing yellow and black last night. In one instance she thought Cotch mistook an umpire for a teammate.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1469 on: October 03, 2020, 05:38:49 PM »
Umps in today's match letting the game go as it should be in finals.

Zak Jones kicked the ball away after a free to the Dogs and it wasn't paid 50. Hmmm!   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd