Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 291089 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #2130 on: May 28, 2022, 01:30:12 AM »
"A controversial 50-metre penalty late in the contest gave the Demons the sniff they needed, when Brad Close – on centre wing – punched the ball into the empty stands while it was already out of bounds. The entry inside-50 from Jake Lever resulted in Gawn marking straight in front."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dees-snatch-minor-premiership-at-the-death-in-thrilling-win-over-cats-20210821-p58ks5.html

#RulesForSomeNotAll

Siren hadn't gone.

Not that I don't agree. Technically it should have been 50.

I don't mind that they used their common sense - just wish they'd do it all the time (see Rioli prohibited contact lol wtf).

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2131 on: May 28, 2022, 01:34:52 AM »
Ump really shouldn’t have said “he couldn’t have heard the whistle” because that just opens him up to criticism because that’s not usually an acceptable excuse not to pay 50. Buttttt he’s probably right in that the sound of the siren blaring prob meant he didn’t hear the whistle and also the imo blows their whistle at the end of the game anyway so even if he heard it might have just assumed it was the one to signal the end of the game. I guess what I’m trying to say is trying to think rationally rather than interpreting the crappy confusing rule book, doesnt seem that a 50 is warranted in that situation.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2132 on: May 28, 2022, 01:42:21 AM »
"A controversial 50-metre penalty late in the contest gave the Demons the sniff they needed, when Brad Close – on centre wing – punched the ball into the empty stands while it was already out of bounds. The entry inside-50 from Jake Lever resulted in Gawn marking straight in front."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dees-snatch-minor-premiership-at-the-death-in-thrilling-win-over-cats-20210821-p58ks5.html

#RulesForSomeNotAll

Siren hadn't gone.

Not that I don't agree. Technically it should have been 50.

I don't mind that they used their common sense - just wish they'd do it all the time (see Rioli prohibited contact lol wtf).
I agree the umps should be allowed to use commonsense and I could accept the decision if "not hearing the whistle" was regularly applied (it isn't though as Bolton found out last week). We've been told the umps will apply these stupid rules strictly and there will no excuses such as not hearing the whistle. The time of the game is irrelevant. The siren isn't technically the end of a game if there's a free just before it and the kick will be taken afterwards. It was Prestia's free so technically it wasn't the end of the game until he took his kick.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2134 on: May 28, 2022, 05:51:40 AM »
The game is being run by clowns in circus everyweek controversy umpires pay one thing next minute they don't.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2135 on: May 28, 2022, 07:23:39 AM »
50m penalty or not? Swan NOT penalised for act on siren, sealing Tigers’ loss

Ben Waterworth
Fox Sports
May 28th, 2022

One of the best AFL games of 2022 yet has finished in chaotic and controversial circumstances after an umpire decision to not hand Swan Chad Warner a 50m penalty left Tigers players flabbergasted and divided a fired-up footy world.

With Sydney leading Richmond by six points in the dying seconds of Friday night’s game, Tigers star Dion Prestia was awarded a free kick after being held at a stoppage on the wing.

But it appeared Warner didn’t hear the umpire’s whistle, as it came less than one second before the final siren sounded.

The circumstances meant a jubilant Warner, who was one of the best players on the ground, kicked the ball high into the SCG grandstand.

It prompted pleas from Richmond players and the commentary box for a 50m penalty.

“He’s kicked the ball over the fence it should be 50!” Channel 7 commentator Brian Taylor said

“There’s no excuses that he doesn’t know.”

As players watched on, a conversation between the umpires then took place on the field.

Umpire John Howorth appeared to seek clarity from colleague Brendan Hosking, via the umpire mic system, about the location of the free kick and, crucially, whether a 50m penalty should be paid.

Howorth asked: “He kicked the ball into the crowd after the free kick … 50m I think?”

However both Hosking and nine-time Grand Final umpire Matt Stevic were then heard over the umpire mics saying “nah, nah”. One of them said: “He (Warner) couldn’t hear the whistle.”

Howorth replied: “That’s why I’m asking the question. Are we happy with that?”

Howorth then approached Prestia and explained to him why he would have to take his kick from between wing and half-forward and not be advanced 50m.

“He couldn’t have heard the free kick. It’s just common sense, OK?” Howorth said.

Prestia’s kick, inevitably, landed well short of goal and the Swans hung on to win by six points.

Coincidentally, it was Warner who marked the ball from Prestia’s kick and ensured there was no impossible, fluky bounce through for a Richmond goal.

Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph told Fox Footy it “might’ve been the most chaotic 20 seconds of the season so far”.

Richmond superstars Dustin Martin and Jack Riewoldt were both seen having passionate conversations with umpires post-match.

Warner told Channel 7 after the match he “obviously didn’t know it was a free kick”, adding: “Otherwise I wouldn’t have done that.”

Both coaches opted not to pass judgment on the non-call post-match.

Asked if he’d had time to break down the chain of events around the final siren, Richmond’s Damien Hardwick told reporters: “I haven’t. That’s not my job. There’s people on the ground that make those decisions.

“We’re probably the same as everyone else, we weren’t quite sure how it was going to unfold. So I’ll leave that up to you guys to find out and figure out.

“It’s irrelevant (what I think should’ve happened) … We can look at that last incident, but the fact of the matter is we were up by 30 points. It’s easy to look at the last play, but we should’ve iced the game.”

Asked to comment on the incident, Swans coach John Longmire told reporters: “I don’t know. I heard there was a holding free kick paid at the same time as the siren, so I don’t know what happened. You’d probably have to ask someone else, but that’s what I heard.”

Swans star Callum Mills told Fox Footy post-game: “‘Ramps’ (Dane Rampe) said it was going to be 50 and I started going, ‘Oh no’. The reality was it was nice that it wasn’t a 50.”

The incident divided opinion among the AFL world.

Melbourne champion Garry Lyon told Fox Footy post-match “technically the 50 was there”, but triple premiership Lion Jonathan Brown said umpires were not “as strict as they used to be when a player kicks the ball clear”.

“Going by the trend in the way they umpire when players do kick the ball away after a whistle, they normally don’t pay a 50m penalty,” Brown told Fox Footy.

Many fans and commentators thought a 50m penalty should’ve been paid.

“He’s kicked a ball away and at the moment the free kick was paid, the game was still live,” triple All-Australian Nick Dal Santo told Fox Footy Live. “The kick was after the siren, but the moment of the free kick was paid before (the siren).

“So whether he thinks it was his (free kick) or not, if that is in any other moment of the game, (it’s a free kick).

“I love that it was a common sense call, but we don’t live in common sense. It’s not happening enough.”

Quote from: David King
“Common Sense” isn’t a legitimate call for the umpires. Sorry.
Quote from: David King
Lol!!!! All of those who say the 50mt penalty doesn’t influence games!!!! Exhibit A!! FOREVER!!! #ItsAMess
Quote from: Drew Jones (Fox)
Given all the ridiculous pointless 50s given this season, I’m surprised that wasn’t one.
Quote from: Andrew McCormack (Seven)
“It’s common sense” according to umpires.

Brain melts after the siren are a Swans specialty. Rampe climbing the post, Warner booting the ball away.

50m penalty every other time in the game #AFLSwansTigers
Quote from: Lachlan McKirdy
Quote from: Lachlan McKirdy
Weird time to start introducing 'common sense' into umpiring.
Common sense = Obviously Warner didn't hear the umpire blow the whistle

Precedent = That has never mattered before
Quote from: Jordan Kounelis
That's 50. They pay 50m penalties when players kick the ball away in other situations when the crowd is loud. Why not now? Same circumstance.
Quote from: Dean Bilton (ABC)
Generally swerve umpire chat because it almost never has an impact on a result but lol the green lads have bottled that one pretty hard
Quote from: Paul Johnson (ABC)
Wow that’s gonna cause some issues. ‘He didn’t know’ is not a valid reason for punting the footy into the stands.
Quote from: Hayley Wildes
That’s a disgrace.
You can’t pick and choose when the rules apply.
Quote from: Grant Thomas
So kicking the ball into the stands after a fk awarded is ok these days? It’s either that or alternatively not knowing it’s a fk paid and kicking ball away is now an excuse and not 50. Either way it’s a mistake and the rule is still up for debate and interpretation.
Quote from: Peter Ryan (Age)
Such a great game. Disappointing ends with an umpiring controversy. I'm all for umps making the call but not smart from Warner. Bloody lucky to get away with it.

Ralph added: “It’s not really up to the umpire to decide the frame of mind of a player who boots that ball away. I think it’s up to him to make a really strict interpretation.

“Of course there’s going to be some discretion there. All I’d say is if that’s in any other part of the field and with time on the clock at any other stage of a quarter, that’s a 50m penalty.

“Look it probably would’ve been the gutsiest call of the season.”

Others thought it was the right call.

“We’ve been asking umpires to use common sense for years. Technically that was a 50m penalty, but the umpire used common sense – and I don’t believe it should’ve been a 50m penalty,” triple premiership forward Cameron Mooney told Fox Footy Live.

“I think the umpire made the right decision.”

Seven-time All-Australian Nathan Buckley lauded the whistleblowers for showing “common-sense umpiring”.

“I thought that was well-adjudicated. Took the time, communicating through the mics and earpieces and came to the right conclusion,” Buckley told Fox Footy.

Quote from: Lee Gaskin
Correct call from the umpire, common sense prevails
Quote from: Michael Whiting (afl media)
I might be in the minority, but I think that was good, commonsense umpiring.
Quote from: Jacob Landsmeer (sport fm)
Good non 50 metre penalty. Umpires used common sense in a game with 60  free kicks and used some rational decision making at the death. Terrific game.
Quote from: Tim Gossage
From the vision Cotchin doesn’t even know Prestia has got a free kick so why would Warner know as well. Common sense.
Quote from: Vince Rugari (SMH)
Quote from: Vince Rugari (SMH)
anyone who genuinely thinks a 50m penalty should have been paid at the end there must be real fun at parties
go join the police force if you reckon that's 50m, seriously. there's a spot for you
Quote from: Tom Browne
I think that was the common sense outcome.

It should only be a 50 metre penalty if Warner did it deliberately.

He didn’t.

I think the context, the siren, is important if you are going to award a 50.
Quote from: Julian de Stoop
Umpires often smashed for lacking a feel for the game. I reckon their feel for the game was spot on with that final decision. Right call
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/sydney-swans/afl-news-2022-sydney-swans-defeat-richmond-tigers-no-50m-penalty-against-chad-warner-for-kicking-ball-into-scg-crowd-rule-reaction/news-story/df260cd130918b0a3336bb3023538cb0

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2136 on: May 28, 2022, 08:02:05 AM »
This bloke on twitter assesses the umpires' performance and some key decisions every week. Here's his thoughts:

Quote from: Has the umpire made A Bad decision?
He's kicked the ball away after a FK to Richmond. That should be 50!
https://twitter.com/hasumpstuffedup/status/1530167409029808129

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2137 on: May 28, 2022, 09:10:43 AM »
This is getting to the point where fans must demand change. The only action is to boycott games completely. 
I will not watch another non Richmond game all year

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2138 on: May 28, 2022, 10:09:54 AM »
Richmond should get an independent review to confirm if it’s bias or our players culture. It’s costing us games and supporter sanity.
Ps : Human error, has never stoped the umpires paying 50’s against us. That was just cheating

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2139 on: May 28, 2022, 10:12:00 AM »
That won’t do much. Only thing that will is to boycott a game.

Hopefully someone starts a page somewhere and it gains traction, as this is utter garbage what going on.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2140 on: May 28, 2022, 10:17:27 AM »
Fans should pick a round and no one goes to a game. 

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2141 on: May 28, 2022, 10:41:45 AM »
The problem for Richmond is if we ever cross the line we get pinged. Others don't so it's just not fair. You can be guaranteed one thing for sure. If that was a Richmond player kicking that ball over the fence last night it would have been a 50 metre penalty. Stevic would have done us over.... I am just getting so disgruntled by it all and I am losing interest like many many other people. I am annoyed that the club has not been vocal about the bias. Jack Riewoldt was held and blocked in so many contests last night and did not get one free. I am over it so Horse racing and Golf for me...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2142 on: May 28, 2022, 10:42:28 AM »
This is what I posted on Twitter 👇

"Common sense? Interesting. @AFL Did I miss the memo about umpires being allowed to use "common sense" when applying the rules? So far in 2022 common sense isn't applicable to the stand rule, dissent rule, not giving the ball back correctly. Want me to go on? Can't pick & chose 😡"

I also posted that last week with 70k people at the MCG a 50 metre was paid against Bolton for playing on after a free was given against Riewoldt. With 70k screaming fans there's a bloody good chance Bolton didn't hear the whistle either but he certainly wasn't afford the "'use of common sense"

The game is officially stuffed
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #2143 on: May 28, 2022, 10:44:12 AM »
All of a sudden it's "common sense" and ok to bend the rules, how twee.  We can fondly re watch all the games in which we were ridden bare back by such considerate and understanding umpires.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2144 on: May 28, 2022, 11:21:27 AM »
Well what a surprise NOT!

The AFL have said the umpires made the correct call

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/28/afl-says-umpire-made-right-call-in-dramatic-friday-night-ending/
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)