Author Topic: Liam McBean [merged]  (Read 169086 times)

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Re: Liam McBean [merged]
« Reply #540 on: August 15, 2014, 11:19:20 PM »
Its a fine line.....

Do we play him early to give him a taste of whats required & fast track his development?
Do we wait until hes a consistant player in the reserves?
Do we ease him into senior footy gradually?

Some young players arent seen until theyve played 3-4 years at reserves level whilst some are thrown right in like Joe Daniher.

Its not an easy answer. Geelong are grooming their youngsters until they are ready to play a role & from time to time they give them a taste when the kid is ready but its a juggling act as is shown in playing Kersten at the minute., is he ready? But they need another forward.
The facts are that some players can and will take the oppurtunity and grow quickly whilst some just cant handle it too soon.

At Richmond it seems, when it comes to the kids, the coaching staff want to make it hard for them to play senior footy. They want it to be a high acheivement at the club to be called upon for senior footy which is a good thing. Its also good that they are unmoved by popular opinion and the frenzy of expectation that can ruin a youngster regularly performing in the twos (see plapp).

I certainly would rather McBean played ahead of "Lockup" Edwards but wouldnt play him ahead of Griffiths as yet.
Im pleased that the club has raised the standards for senior selection but i truly hope that a kid like McBean will develop into a great 200+ gamer too. Lets hope they finally know what they are doing, God knows we have all been waiting for good development at punt road for a long long time.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #541 on: August 16, 2014, 12:05:12 AM »
TWO SIMPLE QUESTIONS.
1/ HOW MANY 200CM PLUS PLAYERS HAVE BECOME GOOD PERMANENT  KPFS.

Out of curiosity who are the players you rate as good 200cm+ permanent KPF's?

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #542 on: August 16, 2014, 12:18:43 AM »
Bean has been taking more marks recently. This area will improve further as he gains size and confidence.
For a man of his size He moves stupidly well and has beautiful skills.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #543 on: August 16, 2014, 10:42:11 AM »
Riddle me this. Who is the leading goal kicker in the vfl?

Other clubs are looking at pinching McBean. Would be incompetence in the highest order if we don't give him games and a pay rise
its funny not many criticise this bloke at all.

1/ erm, its not funny at all.

He was a top five draft pick. and yet in his second season is leading the vfl coleman equivalent

id like to know how many contested marks this bloke  has taken this yr or how many strong hard at it aerial contests hes given.

2/ Its been widley documented that this is a weakness.

And yet, you have made not one comment in this post about his strong attributes...

hes clearly not ready and if i wanted to bring in a player to kick crumbing type goals it would be lloyd or knights.

3/ not the leading goal kicker in the victorian football league?

we are screaming out for a tall presence a bloke who hits packs takes contested marks presents up and is physical. if we want him to be a kpf ffs develop him as one. if he cant do these things ffs lets find someone who can.

4/ Yes sorry i briefly forgot riewoldt vickery griffiths are all rubbish thank you

1/it is funny you have the blinkers on.whats even funnier is you think hes a top 5 pick. try pick 33. as for kicking a few goals in the vfl  cmon do you really think he will make it at afl level as a crumbing fwd that is hilarious.

2/ what strong afl attributes does he have. i have said in other threads what few  attributes he has wont translate to afl unless he learns to play tall.  hes no buddy franklin and hes no jack gunston.

3/  as i said in the previous answer, what attributes.  he can kick as many crumbing  goals as he likes in the vfl they mean jack poo. he wont get those easy goals at afl and those type of goals will remain worthless until   he starts getting  em in a way that will translate to afl. ffs you want to bring him in for who vickeryy what role is that uber dud expected to perform.

4/ na your wrong so far griffiths and vickery have been rubbish. if you think ive criticised riewoldt then your wrong once again.

fair dinkum if was looking to play crumbing fwds id be giving youir mcdonough lennons, lloyds knights a game.

people need to get real here and wake up. if this bloke cant play tall he wont malke it at the next level.
gunna be real interesting down the track with him especially when the club thinks hes going to become a #1 ruckman. as usual not only the supporters kid em selves but the club even more.

What I mean he was- bean was NOT a high draft pick. And yet in his 2nd season of being in the system, be has kicked the most goals, in The vfl. And i believe being going down with. Injury news I a. Similar position last season won the vfl goal kickers leaders. I believe McBean will make it at afl level as a combination of a crumbling playr, a leading/mark player, and a contested mark player down the track.

If you cannot see what good attributes beanDog has, I don't think I can help u

I would argue if you can be the leading goal kicker two season running the in vfl you can kick the odd goal at a Higher level. More so with a better quality of mid giving you the ball. And forward line partners like jack lids cotch, McBean would have a lot less attention.

To conclude Griffiths and Vickery are not rubbish. McBean has the ability to mark it, even if he doesn't take a mountain of contested marks in his first few games

Only six player in the afl average more than two contested marks a game. Jeremy McGovern being first with 2.5

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #544 on: August 16, 2014, 11:52:39 AM »
2013 AFL League Contested Marks Per Game Leaders (Minimum 5 Games Played)
Rank   Player   Team   Games   Average
1   Travis Cloke   Collingwood   22   2.6
2   Levi Casboult   Carlton   11   2.3
3   Thomas Lynch   Gold Coast   8   2.2
4   Jarrad Waite   Carlton   14   2.2
5   Mike Pyke   Sydney   25   2.1
6   Shaun Hampson   Carlton   6   2.0
7   Lachlan Henderson   Carlton   24   2.0
8   Liam Jones   Western Bulldogs   19   1.8
9   Kurt Tippett   Sydney   12   1.8
9   Tom Campbell   Western Bulldogs   6   1.8

:whistle

2014 AFL League Contested Marks Per Game Leaders (Minimum 5 Games Played)
Rank   Player   Team   Games   Contested Marks for Last Game   Average
1   Jeremy McGovern   West Coast   10   1 v Collingwood, Round 20   2.5
2   Max Gawn   Melbourne   6   4 v Hawthorn, Round 20   2.3
3   Jarrad Waite   Carlton   14   3 v Geelong, Round 21   2.3
4   Tom Hawkins   Geelong   20   0 v Carlton, Round 21   2.2
5   Ben McEvoy   Hawthorn   11   2 v Melbourne, Round 20   2.1
6   Thomas Lynch   Gold Coast   19   1 v Carlton, Round 20   2.0
6   Drew Petrie   North Melbourne   19   5 v GWS, Round 20   2.0
8   Jake Carlisle   Essendon   18   2 v Richmond, Round 20   1.9
8   Levi Casboult   Carlton   17   3 v Geelong, Round 21   1.9
10   Jay Schulz   Port Adelaide   19   2 v Sydney, Round 20   1.9
11   Rhys Stanley   St Kilda   16   1 v Western Bulldogs, Round 20   1.9
12   Aaron Sandilands   Fremantle   18   1 v Geelong, Round 20   1.8
13   Benjamin Griffiths   Richmond   12   2 v Essendon, Round 20   1.8

Hmmmm.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 12:15:57 PM by Judge Roughneck »

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #545 on: September 09, 2014, 08:00:08 AM »
Play this stuffin guy hardwick you imbecile

No one can tell me he is more or less raw than Ben Brown or Joey D

It's the refusal to get games into these types of guy that makes me convinced Hardwick just coaches for finals so he can feel proud

Loser mentality he continues to install on the RFC

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #546 on: September 09, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »
Last thing I want is someone who wont apply defensive pressure after the weekends performance

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #547 on: September 09, 2014, 11:20:25 AM »
Last thing I want is someone who wont apply defensive pressure after the weekends performance

You think Brown and Joey D applied a lot of pressure do you before they were selected. Joey D in particular was virtually thrown into the seniors and is growing in stature as he plays more games.

Tim Clarke hasn't got a clue about developing talent.

Play the kid get 50 games in him and go from there.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #548 on: September 09, 2014, 11:32:44 AM »

You think Brown and Joey D applied a lot of pressure do you before they were selected. Joey D in particular was virtually thrown into the seniors and is growing in stature as he plays more games.

Tim Clarke hasn't got a clue about developing talent.

Play the kid get 50 games in him and go from there.
Agreed.
Most of the crop of 2010 were thrown into the deep end in an attempt to fast track their development.  None of them were expected to have defensive skills only learnt in the seconds. We need to fast track Lennon and McBean and even McKintosh and whoever else we recruit.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #549 on: September 09, 2014, 11:43:39 AM »
Geelong does this all the time.

Burbury, Duncan, Guthrie, Blicavs, Horlin-Smith, Murdoch, Thurlow, Walker, Kersten.

You need senior players to protect them and show them the way. They won't get that in the VFL.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #550 on: September 09, 2014, 12:09:15 PM »
Well I enjoyed watching bean at senior level last couple years

Thank you Damien.

At least we got some games into aaedwards mcgaune hampson often

Vital corner stones of the clubs future

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #551 on: September 09, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »

Burbury, Duncan, Guthrie, Blicavs, Horlin-Smith, Murdoch, Thurlow, Walker, Kersten.

You need senior players to protect them and show them the way. They won't get that in the VFL.

Aha that makes sense then and is why we must have kept newman on

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #552 on: September 09, 2014, 04:32:56 PM »

Aha that makes sense then and is why we must have kept newman on

You know what I mean. You can afford to play a guy like Guthrie in the midfield when he's learning from the likes of Selwood, Bartel, Kelly etc. Bigger bodies to protect him, and excellent talent to show him how to play.

We leave our kids in the seconds to rot.

And keep playing fossils like Newman who despite being a good clubman and contributor isn't going to teach a lot of kids how to become solid players probably.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #553 on: September 09, 2014, 04:42:09 PM »
i agree.too protective.

Baptism by fire
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #554 on: September 09, 2014, 04:47:41 PM »
i cant help but have a chuckle at the RFC when i watch Joe D develop into a descent type of player, then on the same breath hear how Bean needs to work on his defensive game while hacks like newman grigg thomas and edwards gets games.

stuff we are useless