Author Topic: ANZAC Day - Lest We Forget  (Read 14387 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
ANZAC Day - Lest We Forget
« on: April 25, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »
I hope all the diggers are having an enjoyable day in the sunshine :clapping.

Especially best wishes to my Uncle Stan who is now 90 and went to the march today.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: ANZAC Day - Lest We Forget
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 02:29:23 PM »
Was up at 3.30 this morning to get to the Dawn Service at the Shrine. Massive crowd, biggest I've seen!

Enjoyed the "Gun Fires" breakfast

Then marched in honour of my Grandpa who served in France for 4 years (WW1)

It is a special day, words don't do it justice.

Thank you Grandpa
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »
War

Empire

The queen

:clapping

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »
Medals

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 07:11:54 PM »
Abuse or opinion?

National identidy. War. Division.

Why has it shifted from respect for the fallen to defining a nation, over the past 20 years?

Respect to the diggers. They were fighting for a better world, not a smoke and mirrors world.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

tony_montana

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »
salute  :cheers

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 08:03:43 PM »
Abuse or opinion?

Why has it shifted from respect for the fallen to defining a nation, over the past 20 years?

Respect to the diggers. They were fighting for a better world, not a smoke and mirrors world.

Except nothing in this thread was about any of those things and was indeed just people respecting the fallen and their own relatives, so there was no need for people to come in and pee all over it with irrelevent political crap.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 09:28:56 PM »
Abuse or opinion?

Except nothing in this thread was about any of those things and was indeed just people respecting the fallen and their own relatives, so there was no need for people to come in and pee all over it with irrelevent political crap.

ANZAC day is political. If it was just about respecting the fallen, there wouldnt be the whole 'the day that defined a nation crap'.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 10:32:29 PM »

ANZAC day is political. If it was just about respecting the fallen, there wouldnt be the whole 'the day that defined a nation crap'.

I would argue strongly that it isn't political. Not sure how the Dawn Service is anything other than respecting and commemorating our fallen and by obvious extension our history? The two are linked.

The actions of those before us actually do define us, the good and the bad. It's called history. Our history defines us as a nation.

Have you ever been to a Dawn Service Dooks? 

I would encourage everyone to do it at least once because it really teaches you lot. One of today's speakers gave the most moving speeches I've heard at the service. For me it explained perfectly why we as nation respect/revere ANZAC day the way we do and how it actually has defined us.

Not going to go into detail of what was said but if people can get a copy of it or it ends up on you-tube read/watch it. Just call it the perfect lesson

But at the end of the day (ironically ;)), each to their own.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 12:25:48 AM »
Abuse or opinion?

All sides of politics are equally guilty of trying to hijack the day to promote their own agendas. Sort of thing happens in most countries. Some venerate, some denigrate, they all exaggerate -  the rest of us just remember, which was clearly the point of this thread.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »
Patriotism is the last refugee of the scoundrel ...

And yet I love this state and I would die in the defence of it by Asians (china/Koreanorf/indonesia) or US (we are already an american state since jap bombing on darwin) in an open war

However - using ww1 and the boar war - to justify the "diggers" that have invaded the Middle East in recent times , a one sided battle with no end with historical war is poor form

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 09:06:05 PM »
He's not well and he lives in a nursing home but my 91 y.o. Uncle Stan was determined to make it to the march today which is obviously important to him. For him and the diggers themselves, they want to be there for their mates that didn't come home and the ones they've lost since. For my uncle, it was also to pay respect to his late father and late brothers who also served. Despite the rain, I hope all the diggers had a good day  :).

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 10:03:35 PM »
He's not well and he lives in a nursing home but my 91 y.o. Uncle Stan was determined to make it to the march today which is obviously important to him. For him and the diggers themselves, they want to be there for their mates that didn't come home and the ones they've lost since. For my uncle, it was also to pay respect to his late father and late brothers who also served. Despite the rain, I hope all the diggers had a good day  :).

thats great MT  :thumbsup. I must admit i never gave it much thought when i was younger, but as you get older you do appreciate their efforts more and more

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 03:39:59 AM »
I hope all the diggers had a great day in the sun yesterday. Good to see the Vietnam vets getting recognition at the front of the march this year.

Sadly, it was the first without my Uncle Stan, who passed away aged 92 in August last year. Especially hard on my cousins who would normally drive their dad to the march in the city. The number of surviving WWII diggers is dwindling with each passing year.

Lest we forget!

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 11:06:39 PM »
I go every year to a dawn service with my 7yo daughter who has missed one and looks forward to it each year.

We will remember them.