Author Topic: George Pell [merged]  (Read 8438 times)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond to stand by Cardinal Pell Vice Patron Role with club
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:59:07 PM »
If he is innocent, I have no problem.

Isn't it a fundamental part of our way of life that we presume innocence till guilt is proven? Or am I missing something?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 01:54:36 PM »

Isn't it a fundamental part of our way of life that we presume innocence till guilt is proven? Or am I missing something?
You might be missing the fact that many people see it as morally reprehensible how he acted when investigating and responding  institutional childhood SA.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »
Both comments above have merit. Mind you, the ritualistic genital mutilation of kids by Jews and Muslims should be equally condemned and anyone adhering to the barbaric teachings of the Quran :chuck or the Torah  :chuck should also be banished from the club.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 03:21:38 PM »
"Not that I can recall"

He loves using those words doesn't Georgey
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 04:41:39 PM »

You might be missing the fact that many people see it as morally reprehensible how he acted when investigating and responding  institutional childhood SA.
He admits to making serious mistakes but also does not admit to directly allowing things to "happen". He'll certainly face the consequences of his actions if he is found guilty. And so he should. He should be punished to the maximum of the law if that is so. But at the moment, all he is guilty of is following the ridiculous rules of the organisation he has given his life to. I am not so quick in condemning him to the point that many here would.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 04:49:38 PM »

He admits to making serious mistakes but also does not admit to directly allowing things to "happen". He'll certainly face the consequences of his actions if he is found guilty. And so he should. He should be punished to the maximum of the law if that is so. But at the moment, all he is guilty of is following the ridiculous rules of the organisation he has given his life to. I am not so quick in condemning him to the point that many here would.
Fair enough, I won't crack you for thinking that way but have you read about his demeanour and treatment of those who made complaints to him? There are no organisational rules that bind him to that.

Either way they go about it, the RFC are on a hiding to nothing.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 05:32:32 PM »

Fair enough, I won't crack you for thinking that way but have you read about his demeanour and treatment of those who made complaints to him? There are no organisational rules that bind him to that.

Either way they go about it, the RFC are on a hiding to nothing.
All your points have merit. However, this is also a legal nightmare for his church. Rightly or wrongly he probably thinks that showing too much empathy opens his organisation up for further litigation. He thus behaves in a way that we all interpret as brash and uncaring. Ironically, his organisation is all about the latter (showing care and compassion) but unfortunately this not shown when it feels it is under siege. I know of people that work in this organisation and they do a lot of work that isn't recognised by the general community. They provide food and cheap housing for those more unfortunate as well as education to those who need it. They are not priests. They are everyday people. Unfortunately those higher up in the food chain have performed extremely poorly (and in some cases abominably) and attention is diverted to all the bad things that have happened through the Catholic church rather than the good.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 06:00:44 PM »

What about standing down for the integrity of the club until the matter is resolved?

Police do.

From memory the StKilda players did.

If a player was charged with the same thing would we expect him to stand down from his duties?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:35:04 PM by 🏅Dooks »
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 07:22:57 PM »
Both comments above have merit. Mind you, the ritualistic genital mutilation of kids by Jews and Muslims should be equally condemned and anyone adhering to the barbaric teachings of the Quran :chuck or the Torah  :chuck should also be banished from the club.
How the stuff do you compare and equate institutional pedo rape and cover ups by the Catholic church with circumcision ?   For the record, Muslims don't circumcise.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:49:54 PM by one-eyed »
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 07:41:02 PM »
How the stuff do you compare and equate institutional pedo rape and cover ups by the Catholic church with circumcision ?   For the record, Muslims don't circumcise.

I think he was referring to female genital mutilation for Muslims.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:50:06 PM by one-eyed »

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 07:46:10 PM »

What about standing down for the integrity of the club until the matter is resolved?

Police do.

From memory the StKilda players did.

If a player was charged with the same thing would we expect him to stand down from his duties?

Has he even been contacted? He probably has lot on his mind atm to worry about a footy club thing. 

I'm fine with him remaining until proven guilty, there is too much trial by media/ social media going on.
IMHO he looks guilty as sin but until proven in a court of law...

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 08:16:01 PM »
Yes they do Owl. They even round up all the boys in the town and have them line up. Each has to watch the other being done!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:50:20 PM by one-eyed »

Ruanaidh

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 08:38:49 PM »
. Physical harm is physical harm no matter the ritual 'significance'....and have you not heard of Muslim clittoral mutilation on girls???...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:21:36 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 09:46:04 PM »
How the stuff do you compare and equate institutional pedo rape and cover ups by the Catholic church with circumcision ?   For the record, Muslims don't circumcise .
Physical harm is physical harm no matter the ritual 'significance'....and have you not heard of Muslim clittoral mutilation on girls???...
Seriously though, how did you twist this from the systematic Catholic pedophile exploitation and protection racket in OUR country to a tissue thin bigoted swipe at two other religions?  Are you a Mick?  You are all the same to me cept Christians seem to molest more children and the Jews don't recruit.
p.s. Female genital mutilation is over 2000 years old and is of cultural origins which predate Islam, and yes I agree it is nasty but bear in mind, the people who became Christians practiced it as well.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:21:23 PM by one-eyed »
Lots of people name their swords......