Author Topic: Tiger chief demands: Get us out of Marvel Stadium (HeraldSun)  (Read 6232 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger chief demands: Get us out of Marvel

Richmond will host a ‘home’ game against GWS at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night, and the MCG tenants aren’t happy about it.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-says-playing-at-marvel-stadium-and-not-the-mcg-is-costing-it-hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars/news-story/756d517b5530182f066a11754fc972d4

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kane Cornes slams Richmond CEO Brendon Gale’s Marvel Stadium complaint

The West Australian
Fri, 14 May 2021 8:02PM

AFL commentator Kane Cornes has slammed Richmond for “sooking it up” over the club’s Marvel Stadium fixture and called on the reigning premiers to speak to West Coast before they complain.

The Tigers are scheduled to play GWS in Melbourne on Saturday night, but it won’t be at their MCG home ground.

Speaking on SEN, Cornes didn’t hold back after Tigers CEO Brendon Gale’s MCG complaint, labelling their argument “ridiculous” and “comical”.

“They had the audacity via their CEO Brendon Gale to complain that this game isn’t at the MCG,” he said.

“They have had already this year six games at the MCG – six out of eight.

“It’s ridiculous that Richmond of all clubs could even think about complaining.

“Go and tell West Coast who travel four hours every second week and get them to tell you about their fixture.

“Put Richmond in their shoes and see how they go. It’s an absolute joke.”

Gale went public this week with his frustrations over having to play at Marvel Stadium.

“To have the MCG — one of the world’s great sporting stadiums — empty this weekend just makes no sense. We should be playing at the MCG,” he said.

“Playing at Marvel this weekend will minimise crowds and that goes against everything the industry wants to deliver. We want fans at games.”

But Cornes said Gale’s argument of maximising crowds by using the bigger MCG was laughable.

“When he says crowds, it’s not maximising crowds,” Cornes argued.

“Friday night against Geelong, this is the grand final rematch, you know how were there at the MCG? Fifty-four thousand.

“You reckon they’re going to get more than 50 (thousand) against GWS on Saturday night if they could only get 54 (thousand) on Friday night against the team they played in the grand final?

“It’s not about maximising crowds, it’s about the sooking it up.”

Aside from the 2020 season where all Victorian clubs were forced to relocate to Queensland due to the COVID pandemic, Richmond has enjoyed one of the best home game run of any AFL club in recent seasons.

The Tigers played 13 games at the MCG in 2019 before finals, including the last seven games of the regular season at home.

In 2018, they played 14 games at the MCG — including four of the last five home and away fixtures.

“They dominate the fixture, they get the best fixture in the history of the AFL,” Cornes said.

“The moment they don’t get what they want, they go and have a big sook to the AFL.”

Only Collingwood played more matches at the MCG in 2018 and 2019.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/afl-commentator-kane-cornes-slams-richmond-ceo-brendon-gales-marvel-stadium-complaint-ng-b881873201z

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tiger chief demands: Get us out of Marvel Stadium (HeraldSun)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 09:37:39 PM »
Kornhole is a salty campaigner

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 09:44:03 PM »
Could understand if we were trying to boot another team off the G, but it's empty.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 10:17:15 PM »
Benny shouldn't have said anything until after the match or in the weeks after

Giants to use this to their advantage .

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 03:28:22 AM »
A reminder to Cornes that his club has had the bulk of home games against us including 9 out of the last 11 at Adelaide Oval  ::).

Richmond vs Port Adelaide (from 35 meetings).

Port Adelaide home games (AO/FP):    24
Richmond home games:                     10 ........ ( 6 @ MCG ; 4 @ Docklands )
Neutral venue (Darwin):                       1

https://afltables.com/afl/teams/richmond/allgames_tm.html#13

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 01:01:18 PM »
What wankers like Cornes never seem to grasp is the Mcg is a neutral ground for us when we play fellow victorian teams.

Its got nothing to do with us and it is not our fault that the mcg is also home to other victorian clubs who want to play us at the mcg on thier home dunghill.

The last time i looked this week is our home game, the mcg is our home ground not docklands.For this very reason We should be playing there regardless of crowd numbers.

I wonder how his poo pile of a club would go playing at a neutral venue for most of their games. Never a mention that the biggest home ground advantage belongs to the non melbourne clubs who have 11 massive home ground advantages every year plus every year an added bonus with a neutral derby, nope just never mention that. they would rather sook it up about us getting what we are entitled to.

All i can say to this wanker is if you dont like it mind your own business and take your poo hole of a club and stuff off i can assure ya neither of you will be missed.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 10:46:30 PM »
Just 18k at Marvel tonight.

Protest vote? Seems Tiger supporters spoke with their feet about playing home games at Docklands.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 11:44:26 PM »
This bloke is just a nuffy, his opinion is  nothing ,he stole some of your Valuable time which is the real crime. He is irrelevant trying to have some relevance in the football world . No need to give him oxygen , just pity him for being a such a try hard.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 12:39:04 AM »
Just 18k at Marvel tonight.

Protest vote? Seems Tiger supporters spoke with their feet about playing home games at Docklands.

Personally I'm sick of the late games. 1925 start is better than the 1950 but it's easily 2330-0000 by the time I get home.

Looking forward to the crows game so I can actually take my kid

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma says he hates going to Docklands / Got no soul unlike the MCG
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 06:56:57 AM »
Dimma in his post-match presser said he hates Docklands  :snidegrin.

------------------------------------------------------------

Reporter: What did you make of the 19k crowd?

Hardwick: They were loud. The truth of the matter is you can play Richmond games here but they don't come. So if you want big crowds then play our home games at the 'G. Pretty simple solution for mine.

Reporter: Any idea why they aren't coming? Did anyone send you emails on that?

Hardwick: Mate, I hate coming here. Probably shouldn't say that.

Reporter: Why's that?

Hardwick: Well the M.C.G. has soul. It's got Richmond people there. Our people don't come here. Plain and simple. I'd love them to come but the fact of the matter is I can't drive them all here.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 10:54:06 AM »
Yep- I never go to this crap hole of a place. Manufactured undercover cold stadium at the crap end of town. Give me a wet night at the G anytime :shh

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dimma says he hates going to Docklands / Got no soul unlike the MCG
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 12:36:20 PM »
Dimma in his post-match presser said he hates Docklands  :snidegrin.

------------------------------------------------------------

Reporter: What did you make of the 19k crowd?

Hardwick: They were loud. The truth of the matter is you can play Richmond games here but they don't come. So if you want big crowds then play our home games at the 'G. Pretty simple solution for mine.

Reporter: Any idea why they aren't coming? Did anyone send you emails on that?

Hardwick: Mate, I hate coming here. Probably shouldn't say that.

Reporter: Why's that?

Hardwick: Well the M.C.G. has soul. It's got Richmond people there. Our people don't come here. Plain and simple. I'd love them to come but the fact of the matter is I can't drive them all here.
Where is the heart emoji? Brilliant this

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 12:53:51 PM »
I’ve been plenty of times to Marvel (not a huge fan but it’s ok but it’s not the G) but I’m one of those that refuses to go when it’s our home game as a protest to this bull crap AFL imposed rule.

When I heard Dimmas presser I loved it. I agree 100 %. Im exactly that person. I won’t go because it’s just not right. The AFL can get stuffed.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 01:31:15 PM »
I’ve been plenty of times to Marvel (not a huge fan but it’s ok but it’s not the G) but I’m one of those that refuses to go when it’s our home game as a protest to this bull crap AFL imposed rule.

When I heard Dimmas presser I loved it. I agree 100 %. Im exactly that person. I won’t go because it’s just not right. The AFL can get stuffed.

While I understand your angst and I hate going there too

Not going doesn't impact on the AFL, they don't care. It does however impact on our Club $$$ wise, that's why I go.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 03:26:43 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)