Author Topic: Tyler Sonsie [merged]  (Read 41326 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 28: Tyler Sonsie
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 01:35:41 PM »
Richmond’s third pick (No. 28 overall), Tyler Sonsie, has received a glowing endorsement from Danny Ryan, the talent manager at his NAB League team Eastern Ranges.

Ryan provided an insightful analysis of the classy teenage midfielder in the lead-up to the draft.

“There’s been a lot of talk around him. He’s a pretty incredible talent coming through,” Ryan said.

“If he has a good pre-season, he could easily slot into Round 1, Round 2 next year at a club, if all things go well over summer.

“He uses the ball unbelievably. The way he sees the game open up, left and right foot, he’s really dangerous.

“In traffic, he’s very clean to be able to get the ball from the inside to the outside of the contest, and he’s got the ability to roll forward.

“At under-14s inter-league, he really stood out, and he’s been part of our program since he was about 15. He was a part of the under-16s carnival back then (2019) and he was ranked very highly in the nationals and has really captured the interest of AFL clubs since then.”

The past two years has tested Sonsie’s resilience, as with other draft hopefuls, because of the lack of game time due to the interruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Sonsie also suffered a knee injury midway through the 2021 season that further restricted his on-field appearances.

Notwithstanding those setbacks, he remained steadfast in his quest for a place on an AFL club list.

“He got injured halfway through the year with bone-bruising on the knee. Once he was ready to return, COVID came and ended the season,” Ryan said.

“He’s probably only played five games of footy in two years.

“It’s been an incredibly frustrating period for Tyler, but he’s been working really hard. He’s in the gym doing a lot of strength and conditioning and trying to get himself in the best nick he can . . .

“If he had a clear run at it in the last two years, you’re probably looking at anywhere in the top 10 (for him to be selected in the draft).”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1034441/tiger-tyler-a-top-talent

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 04:58:24 PM »
Hmm the more i see the more i like. Clearly needs to work on a few things but im not too worried about the so called lack of  work and attitude.
I remember Buddy Franklin copping similar and look at how he worked out.

For me hes a mid and thank god we took at least one.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 05:20:56 PM »
Banks is being called a midfielder by many, I wonder what the club  is nominating him as

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2021, 05:36:00 PM »
Looks like a winger half back to me.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2021, 06:38:47 PM »
Sonsie or Banks?
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2021, 06:56:06 PM »
Sonsie will play mostly half forward and Banks mostly Wing and Half Back. Thats what they look like to me. Banks depending on development maybe a chance to go and play as as a general mid but playing some minutes in the middle but fir now i reckon hes a half back winger type.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2021, 10:41:27 AM »
Just had another look at his highlights. Really like the look of him.

He seems to have class and poise.

Not too skinny either. I feel like he may be a chance for round 1.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2021, 02:01:10 PM »
Sonsie’s display that May day for Box Hill was all the more meritorious due to the fact he was not 100 percent fit.

“He went into that game a little bit banged up. We weren’t sure if he was going to play,” Matt Clarke said.

“It just shows with those guys that, at whatever level they play, they can find the footy, and Tyler’s one of those.

“He was really impressive in that game.”

“That helps us. There was a bit of a need there at that point to assist some of the younger guys that are going to come through . . . “Dowy” (Thomson Dow), “Rossy” (Jack Ross), Riley (Collier-Dawkins) and those sorts of guys,” Clarke said.

“I think adding another one (midfielder) was really important for us.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1036881/sonsie-s-seamless-vfl-transition-a-fine-sign-for-his-future

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2021, 10:44:53 AM »
For me we have a glaring deficiency up forward with Castagna and Aarts. I wonder if we continue to go with two possibly three small fwds could Sonsie and Clarke who have infinately better skills be the two small fwds we play.
We all know this is an area that just has to be addressed. We either play GENUINE small fwds or we play a couple of  primarily mids who have played the role and we have a few of them. Myself im all for the latter and we play just the one designated small forward.

I could live with Sonsie high h/f and possibly even getting some midfield time  with Edwards and Boltonstarting fwd .

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2021, 11:19:15 AM »
For me we have a glaring deficiency up forward with Castagna and Aarts. I wonder if we continue to go with two possibly three small fwds could Sonsie and Clarke who have infinately better skills be the two small fwds we play.
We all know this is an area that just has to be addressed. We either play GENUINE small fwds or we play a couple of  primarily mids who have played the role and we have a few of them. Myself im all for the latter and we play just the one designated small forward.

I could live with Sonsie high h/f and possibly even getting some midfield time  with Edwards and Boltonstarting fwd .

Recruit midfielders and use them to play the flanks and pockets

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2021, 12:44:51 PM »
Agree Claw
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2021, 06:06:25 PM »
Currently in the rehab group but will join full training after the Christmas/NY break (Jan 10). Great to hear  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2022, 05:03:43 PM »
You can see the class.. A few snippets of #TylerSonsie in yesterday's interclub scratch match.

WATCH HERE: https://twitter.com/Tigers_of_Old/status/1495154709875011585

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2022, 02:21:19 PM »
Forgot to say in my training report that Sonsie's workrate from contest to contest to link up is fantastic. I'm trying to keep a lid on things as he's only played one intra-club game but it's getting harder and harder not to get excited about him.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2022, 04:30:34 PM »
Forgot to say in my training report that Sonsie's workrate from contest to contest to link up is fantastic. I'm trying to keep a lid on things as he's only played one intra-club game but it's getting harder and harder not to get excited about him.

Mind you missed a chunk of the whole preseason to.