Author Topic: Changes for next week against the Crows?  (Read 5986 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Changes for next week against the Crows?
« on: March 17, 2023, 04:05:40 PM »
Forgot to post this last night.

Dimma said we got through unscathed.

So, fire away with your changes, if any?

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Changes for next week against the Crows?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 04:50:32 PM »
Hmm reckon Baker was ordinary almost invisible for big chunks. Balta underwhelming. Broad was fumbly and poor.
McIntosh meh,Short had a good start but totally disappeared Mansell not great Miller quiet.

A game we squandered 2 points and i reckon a lot of it began at selection.

Changes Tarrant if fit, Ryan by reports went well in the two,s again. Cumberland simply because he is one of our BEST sml/med forwards.
Sonsie to bring what Hardwick himself described a lack of Polish.

Broadsword

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 05:23:14 PM »
Out: Mansell, Ross, Balta/Miller

In: Cumberland, Sonsie (sub), Ryan

Balta and Miller are rubbish as forwards really, so I agree with bringing in Ryan as a genuine forward/ruck option. One of Balta or Miller miss to accommodate him. Jack is playing 95% TOG as a stand and deliver forward and he's just not that guy anymore. Needs a chop out. Happy to go in with a backline of Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin and Balta/Miller until Tarrant and Gibcus return. A couple of those guys play tall.

There's going to be competition for spots this year because Gibcus, Sonsie, Cumberland, and Ryan need to be coming into this side at the expense of others. Maybe McIntosh because of his skills. Whatever the solution, we need to get them in.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 06:58:18 PM »
Out: Mansell
In: Cumberland

I guess Ross can stay as the sub, can’t prove much in 1 qtr of footy. Still think the role is suited more to someone like a Hugo or a clarke type. Also don’t think it’ll be good for players to have stretches of games as subs with minimal game time and miss out on playing a full games in the 2s.

Think Miller was fine, would prob leave him in as I still like his flexibility to help out down back but if they wanna swap him for Ryan I wouldn’t complain either.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 07:34:18 PM »
Cumberland was terrible yesterday- most disappointing is the only word. As Dimma said, he has some things to work on to make him a better player. This would include not being so selfish and defensive running being added to his game. Nail this and he could be something special. 

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 09:07:27 PM »
Out
Mansell

In
Cumberland

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 09:20:59 PM »
Out
Mansell

In
Cumberland

This ^

I would give Cumberland strict instructions about his need to be defensively minded first and an offensive target second. Then I'd wind him up and let him loose. Cumberland has always played better at AFL level. He never really shone at VFL level. We all know what he can do in our forwardline so give him a chance to prove he's up to it and for f* sake, stop flooding the forwardline with resting midfielders so our forwards have so space to create goals in!

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 09:37:49 PM »
There’s no way you reward mediocre performance in the VFL

If Cumberland was poor I don’t think he should be rewarded. I didn’t see the VFL so I don’t know how he played but I trust our selection committee.

We were very scrappy and as Dimma said we lacked polish but we controlled territory and dominated forward of centre. Our execution was very poor inside 50 though.

We have enough people in there that know how to kick goals.

Once we clean this up we should be right and Dusty will be either setting them up or kicking them himself. 

I would only bring in Tarrant if he is available.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2023, 09:56:14 PM »
The 2022 forwardline was the most functional and multi-faceted in the league at Tigerland. We could move players around, up the ground to isolate players, high to act as link players, deep to screen for each other. Last night's game unveiled a crowded forward fifty that was far from balanced or functional.

We certainly locked the ball in but then had no room to find the goals. For me, its about forcing teams to turn the ball over higher up the ground. That means defences are caught off guard and there is space for them to run back towards the goal. Forward pressure is more about forcing defenders to rush their kicks so we can mark the ball and turn it over around half way.

So, while we look strong on paper, our forwardline is far from balanced or functional at the moment. Maybe time will change my mind but atm Cumberland has half a season's worth of AFL quality form to warrant a return back to the team. Mansell has one average game.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 10:07:23 PM »
Out
Mansell

In
Cumberland

This ^

I would give Cumberland strict instructions about his need to be defensively minded first and an offensive target second. Then I'd wind him up and let him loose. Cumberland has always played better at AFL level. He never really shone at VFL level. We all know what he can do in our forwardline so give him a chance to prove he's up to it and for f* sake, stop flooding the forwardline with resting midfielders so our forwards have so space to create goals in!

Yep.

Don't care for his VFL performance.

Bloke has stood up and singlehandedly saved us games (Brisbane last year) off his own boot.

Wtf has Mansell done to take his spot? Trained well in the off season. Give me a break!

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 10:43:01 PM »
The 2022 forwardline was the most functional and multi-faceted in the league at Tigerland. We could move players around, up the ground to isolate players, high to act as link players, deep to screen for each other. Last night's game unveiled a crowded forward fifty that was far from balanced or functional.

We certainly locked the ball in but then had no room to find the goals. For me, its about forcing teams to turn the ball over higher up the ground. That means defences are caught off guard and there is space for them to run back towards the goal. Forward pressure is more about forcing defenders to rush their kicks so we can mark the ball and turn it over around half way.

So, while we look strong on paper, our forwardline is far from balanced or functional at the moment. Maybe time will change my mind but atm Cumberland has half a season's worth of AFL quality form to warrant a return back to the team. Mansell has one average game.

It may not have been very functional last night but there is a hell of a lot to work with. Our defensive structure had the cheats second guessing how to get it out of our forward half.

We were clearly better in the third quarter and we kicked 5 goals 4 we had 20 inside 50’s to 6. That’s domination.

I’m not saying we played great and other than Rioli our skill were embarrassingly woeful but our defensive structure held up and we created turnover and the game was played on our terms.

We need to improve in a lot of areas mostly our key backs. I don’t think our forward line is going to be an issue especially once we clean up our entries.

We clean up our entries and skill level and we win by 40 points.
I’m not saying mansell is the answer either but Saad was well below his normal output.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 10:45:38 PM »

We were also pee easy to score against last year, partly due to lack of forward pressure.

It’s a balancing act.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 12:12:28 AM »
I like Cumberland in the side as he is a natural forward who doesn’t miss his opportunities .A Bit like Brust
I think Dimma thinks he needs to learn to become a run down , hard running link player on top of kicking goals and for those who saw the 2’s would you agree thats what he was seemed to be working on .
If he can add that side to his game  he will be a star.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 11:39:54 AM »
We always lose to Adelaide early I'm the season. 
Cumberland for Mansell
Ross for Sonsie.  Cotchin or McIntosh the sub.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2023, 12:11:07 PM »
I think we need more pace in the side.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Clarke or Ralph-Smith at some stage