Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 215824 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #705 on: May 08, 2009, 06:26:51 PM »
It's Ben's first game back so he'll probably just be happy to get through a game unscathed but interesting to see if there's any extra motivation this week to stick it up a club that was one of the three that said no to recruiting him.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar is back

« Reply #706 on: May 08, 2009, 07:16:26 PM »
would love see him kick some goals tomorrow.
Jackstar is Back. ;)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #707 on: May 09, 2009, 12:04:27 PM »
I thought someone might clock me: Ben Cousins
Ben Cousins | May 09, 2009

PEOPLE have asked me how much of a reality check last weekend was, from holding the premiership on the dais with Juddy in 2006 to running out with Coburg wearing the No. 80 jumper in 2009.

Truthfully, I don't see myself as someone above that sort of thing, or someone above the system that is AFL.

This whole experience - the drugs, the suspension, draft, the comeback - has been a humbling experience.

I enjoyed the Coburg experience and I'll get to the brawl in a minute.

It's fair to say it got willing and I was wondering if someone out there wanted their 15 minutes of fame.

Beforehand, I had had a conversation with Kane Johnson and when you get to our age, one of the rewarding things in footy is being given the opportunity to go back and play with young guys.

I was keen to embrace Coburg Football Club because that's what football is about - playing - and it also helps my integration with the whole group, not just the boys at Richmond.

The process was easy because the relationship between Richmond and Coburg is very strong.

To go back in the right fashion was another opportunity to earn respect after what has happened.

The coach and I spoke about it, and both Terry Wallace and I agreed it was in my best interests from a preparation point of view, and I knew it was the right decision.

I had missed a fair bit of footy and I wanted to make sure the body was right.

The game is hard enough for a 25-year-old who has had a pre-season, let alone for a 30-year-old who has missed a year of footy and started pre-season late.

Anyway, it was a beautiful day for football.

The suburban flavour took me back to the days when I used to go to footy with my old man and watch him play for Perth in the WAFL. Good crowd.

Few beers. Comments from over the fence. It was footy at its purest.

It had the same smell, as well. The footy club smell - if you haven't been there it's hard to describe.

I got my jumper from "Grump", the property steward, I looked at it, turned it over and saw it was No. 80. Beautiful. It's nearly far enough away from No. 9 to keep me out of trouble.

It nearly didn't. The brawl started at three-quarter time.

I was on the bench at the time. I ambled in, but I played the pacifier.

For a couple of seconds, I thought someone might clock me. I thought someone out there might have just done it for a giggle, seeing me spread-eagled on my back.

I got involved to the point where I was just pulling blokes out.

There's no cop in me being involved in a fight, getting two or three weeks for throwing one or being in a position to wear one.

Once again, the headlines were overblown: Cousins in brawl drama. Had to expect it, I suppose, but people should know I'm not a fighter.

Overall, other than not winning, I thoroughly enjoyed the day. More than anything, I wanted to go back in a fashion that indicated I didn't think I was any better than what I was.

Today is the start of the second comeback.

It was four weeks from when I tore the hamstring in Round 1 to playing for Coburg and it was tough period for me personally, and a really tough period for the Tigers.

I had to pick myself up and dust myself off.

There was an over-the-top build-up and an over-the-top expectation from myself, and to go down with the injury was devastating.

There had been question marks over my hamstrings and to have a reoccurrence so early in the season rocked me.

It's fair to say that in the days afterwards I was in a depressive state. And the mental challenge, after what I had been through over the past 18 months, was blatantly obvious.

I had had the build-up and then the crash. How I would respond was the concern for many, and it was important to me.

How I reflect on this year isn't going to be about how many games I play, or how well I play, because some of that will be out of my control.

I will judge the success of this year on how I respond to situations such as the hamstring and how I respond to helping the playing group when it's under siege internally and externally.

I'd like to think at the end of year the football club has seen me as worthwhile recruit.

That first week was challenging and doubts were there about whether my body was up to it, but in the end you just have to search for positives, something to motivate you.

For me, I started jogging. I started a diligent process of rehab and improvement and, by the way, I don't believe I have chronic hamstring injuries.

I also used the opportunity to make sure my conduct around the club was as good as it could be.

Very quickly the club was under pressure and the issues and questions at the footy club were far more important than how my hamstring was going.

"Plough" (Wallace) was under the pump, the players and the president were all being asked questions, and answers were hard to find.

We lost games to pretty good teams and we dropped the Melbourne game, but when things get written up in the media, they are not quite as good or as bad as they seem.

Senior players realise that and it's important to express that to the younger players. The skipper, Chris Newman, has been fantastic keeping the group together. He steels himself every week and that is infectious.

In the past few weeks young blokes such as Daniel Jackson and "Axle" Foley have been terrific. And a young bloke called Andy Collins has come into the side and injected more optimism.

When the group has lacked confidence, for him to play with dash and confidence is a credit to him.

The future is before us.

The win over North Melbourne was such a wonderful feeling. I've barely played a half of footy, but I felt every bit of relief and elation the other guys did.

Being in the rooms to sing the song and laugh and joke was something I had dearly missed.

It had been a torrid couple of weeks. In my situation of not playing, it was hard to watch.

We were losing and I had a feeling of helplessness. I felt for the club, for Plough, for the guys.

For someone still really getting to know Plough, I was really impressed with his attitude.

His future was being questioned, reality had hit him between the eyes, but he was buoyant, enthusiastic, and supportive of the boys.

And I was rapt for him as much as the players when we won.

It's a hell of a word, winning, for it's not everything, it's the only thing.

So, to today.

I have given myself an extra week to be able to go into the game with confidence.

I'm not worried about the hammy going again. I'm in a better position physically not to do another hamstring, better even than going into Round 1.

I've worked on my core stability, had chiro on my back, strength work on my hamstrings and I know I've prepared myself as best I can.

The club, like me, is looking to getting as much as we can from the next 16 weeks.

I can't wait.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25449876-5015495,00.html

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #708 on: May 09, 2009, 05:34:52 PM »
All credit to Cuz on todays game.Looked in a class of his own with his clean skills.Rest of the team....I dont want to say anything in the heat of the moment.
Unleash the tornado

Tigermonk

« Reply #709 on: May 09, 2009, 06:10:11 PM »
mark my words Ben Cousins will be out of Richmond the 1st offer he gets from another club
too good to be disgraced at Richmond

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #710 on: May 09, 2009, 06:16:48 PM »
mark my words Ben Cousins will be out of Richmond the 1st offer he gets from another club
too good to be disgraced at Richmond

That's a very emotional message.However RFC was the only one to offer him a contract he won't go to any other club. Even if he now wants to other clubs have to rescind on their policies of recruiting with major sponsors which was the major factor which kept the Pies Saints and Lions from getting him in the first place. Only way Ben will leave the Tigs now is through injuries and retirement.

For the record I thought that his game was very good today and that we need another few like him to sustain an acceptable level of competitiveness.

Tigermonk

« Reply #711 on: May 09, 2009, 06:23:35 PM »
thats rubbish Cousins was approached by many other clubs but they went with youth for longterm
we buy duds, rejects the rest get rid of & pay them money they are not worth
We are the retirement club  :rollin
& soon the supporters will walk away & we will become the Tasmainian Tigers  :rollin

Ramps

« Reply #712 on: May 09, 2009, 06:42:45 PM »
thats rubbish Cousins was approached by many other clubs but they went with youth for longterm
& soon the supporters will walk away & we will become the Tasmainian Tigers  :rollin

Balmain merged with Western Suburbs in the NRL to form Wests Tigers in the west of Sydney

The AFL wants a team in Western Sydney

Richmond are the Tigers and we are a rabble.

What are the odds that at some stage in the next 18 months the media will report of a possible relocation of our club to Western Sydney to join forces with the Wests Tigers and create a mammoth sporting franchise.

I reckon someone will raise this issue. Our club better get its act together and soon, we could be in serious trouble if we dont.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #713 on: May 09, 2009, 08:03:10 PM »

Balmain merged with Western Suburbs in the NRL to form Wests Tigers in the west of Sydney

The AFL wants a team in Western Sydney

Richmond are the Tigers and we are a rabble.

What are the odds that at some stage in the next 18 months the media will report of a possible relocation of our club to Western Sydney to join forces with the Wests Tigers and create a mammoth sporting franchise.

I reckon someone will raise this issue. Our club better get its act together and soon, we could be in serious trouble if we dont.

the odda are in favour, this will happen unless we can become a force again, fat chance of that happening

Jackstar is back

« Reply #714 on: May 09, 2009, 08:46:35 PM »
Cuz was good today.
Shows how poor some of his team mates really are

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #715 on: May 09, 2009, 11:13:32 PM »
I was embarrased foir Cuz today playing with those useless hacks.

Gee if it wasn't for him and Gus today we would have got slaughtered.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #716 on: May 10, 2009, 04:13:14 AM »
Willing Ben Cousins shines
Glenn McFarlane | May 10, 2009

AT least Ben Cousins came through his AFL comeback Mark II unscathed, if not a little exhausted.

The same cannot be said for his adopted club, Richmond. Cousins gained some valuable game time before tiring in the second half of the yesterday's game, collecting 22 touches in his team's disappointing loss.

The Tigers were good early, too, but almost predictably squandered their strong start. They went hard at the ball and gave plenty of fight, but -- again predictably -- they butchered it when it mattered.

Richmond kicked the first four goals of the game to open up a 26-point lead at the 25-minute-mark of the opening term, largely on the back of some good work through the midfield, and some handy work from Cousins. But that ascendancy ended as rapidly as it started.

It was on the same arena, the MCG, that Cousins staged his AFL comeback Mark I, 44 days earlier.

The circumstances of the two games could not have been more stark. Back then, his return to the game was before a sold-out crowd of more than 86,000 fans on a balmy March evening, and on a night that Richmond fans had dreamt about for many years.

But the reality turned into a nightmare, with a smashing at the hands of Carlton and the much-feted new recruit doing his hamstring in his first game back after his very public battle with drugs.

Yesterday wasn't a thrashing, but it was a defeat that burned deep into the heart of the Tigers, because they know they had chances early to shut out the Lions and they wasted them.

This time it was a game in front of only 34,646 fans, on a chilly May afternoon, in a match that was ordinary except for the courage in some incredible one-on-one clashes.

Cousins looked eager to get going from the outset of the game.

Starting on the bench, he was so keen he overstepped the boundary line too early in the opening minutes in what could have been an embarrassing moment. When he did come on, moments later, the Tigers symbolically kicked their opening goal of the game.

The 30-year-old did not kick it, but he did manage to get the side's second.

He got his first kick at his first centre bounce and soon wound up with a free kick and 50m penalty that gave him his first goal since his penultimate game with West Coast in Round 22, 2007.

The entire Richmond team converged to congratulate him on his efforts. It was the start of six touches for the term, as the Tigers showed plenty of early dash.

But as Richmond waned in confidence, so, too, did Cousins. He performed well enough for his first outing, but even Richmond coach Terry Wallace conceded he ran out of legs in the end.

Cousins had six more touches than in his first game of the season. Importantly, there appeared to be no issue with his hamstrings.

While he was reluctant to talk to the media, Wallace was confident his high-profile midfielder would improve with more game time. It remains to be seen whether some of his teammates will do the same.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25454854-19742,00.html#

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #717 on: May 10, 2009, 04:14:20 AM »
Cousins returns to doing what he loves most
Andrea Petrie | May 10, 2009

BEN Cousins must have been nervous. And he was clearly excited about playing his second AFL game for the Tigers yesterday as he waited anxiously on the boundary for the all-clear from the interchange steward to run on.

Despite almost stepping over the line ahead of teammate Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls eight minutes into the first quarter, he fortunately pulled up just in time.

His turn came less than a minute later and, much to the delight of the Tiger faithful, the star midfielder ran straight to the contest and, for the second time this season, Cousins was back doing what he loves.

But yesterday's comeback after six weeks on the sidelines recovering from a hamstring injury sustained in his first game for the yellow and black, was a stark contrast to the media circus that preceded his bittersweet return to AFL in round one.

Stories did not appear in the newspapers and on television every day in the lead up to yesterday's clash with the Brisbane Lions. There was no pre-recorded television interview to be broadcast at half-time about his 18-month break from the game after admitting to a drug addiction and being banned for a year for bringing the game into disrepute.

Instead, he was given an extra week to recover from the injury by the club as a precaution, before playing 70 per cent of game time with the Tigers' VFL affiliate Coburg last week.

The 2005 Brownlow medallist went into yesterday's match with the same amount of external pressure as his teammates, which allowed him to concentrate on playing his part during the 50 per cent of game time he spent on the ground.

Cousins nabbed his first possession within two minutes of running on and had an immediate impact as the Lions surprisingly gave him free run during the first term.

He was then awarded a free kick and a 50-metre penalty for being taken out of the play by Luke Power after he had disposed of the ball and the kick resulted in Cousins' first goal for Richmond.

Despite going off just under 10 minutes later for a spell, then coming back on late in the opening term, Cousins managed six disposals — three contested — and certainly played his part in the team's 19-point lead at the first break.

Despite having a dubious free kick awarded against him that resulted in a Lions goal, it was a productive return.

He started on the bench as the second term started before coming on at the eight-minute mark for about a 10-minute stint in what was clearly part of Richmond's cautious approach to ease him back into the game and avoid injury while he works to recover his match fitness.

When he did start on the ground after the main break up, he was sent up forward, and again got his hands on the ball.

But just like the rest of the team in the second half, Cousins failed use it efficiently and then spent most of the final term on the pine.

After the 26-point defeat, Tigers coach Terry Wallace said he was pleased that Cousins got through the entire game.

"I thought when he had the zest and vibrancy in the body early in the game I thought he was quite handy for us," he said.

"I think he slowed up in the second half, which we probably expected him to.

"If we thought he was going to come back in and make a difference between winning and losing … All we wanted was just a nice contribution first up.

"He'll get better with three or four runs under his belt."

And although his nerves had well and truly subsided after the final siren and the excitement had turned to disappointment after yet another Richmond loss, Cousins was in no mood to face the media to discuss his performance.

But unlike round one when his return came to an abrupt halt, Cousins can this week train alongside the rest of the team as it focuses its attention on playing Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium. Cousins' next hurdle — playing in a Richmond victory — awaits.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/cousins-returns-to-doing-what-he-loves-most/2009/05/09/1241727663936.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #718 on: May 10, 2009, 02:42:11 PM »
Cuz was good today.

Stop the presses.......

I agree with you 100%

So team orientated it is scary

Out of all our over 30's (outside of Richo) I keep this bloke. Would seriously re-sign him for 2010 now

I think you get a "development coach" as part of the process without the actual gving him the title
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #719 on: May 10, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »
Cuz was good today.

Stop the presses.......

I agree with you 100%

So team orientated it is scary

Out of all our over 30's (outside of Richo) I keep this bloke. Would seriously re-sign him for 2010 now

I think you get a "development coach" as part of the process without the actual gving him the title

me and WP agreeing. :thumbsup
We can build on this.
And what about the Cuz skills, handball to a teammate , kicking etc.
Compared to JON who missed a handball target by 5 metres when the target was 6  metres  ::)