Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 217168 times)

Tigermonk

Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #1260 on: August 17, 2010, 08:45:26 PM »
the press conference today made it seem as though Cuz has always been a Richmond player.
Anyone who cares to assess his tenure as wrong is a fool.

Midfield coach and eventually Head coach.
These kids will give there all for BC.
Sign him now

l would like to see him take over the midfield assistant coaching.
But his tired of being hounded by Hutchy & Caro & will go home  ;D

Ox

« Reply #1261 on: August 17, 2010, 08:49:53 PM »
now he can get hutchy bashed

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1262 on: August 17, 2010, 08:53:35 PM »
why just hutchy?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #1263 on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:21 PM »
Man! Spewin! Good luck Cuz, sometimes you can just pick a good bloke on meeting them once.
You did as much for us as we did for u, u r a Tiger  :clapping

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1264 on: August 17, 2010, 10:40:58 PM »

I'm glad you've responded I know your wrong here lol issues aside he still wanted to play football at RFC. It doesn't matter it's all ended on a win-win for both parties now, glad he mentioned about developing players going forward.

prove him wrong, dont just tell him.  show your hand  :lol

Go back to my post about "My Girlfriends hairdresser who knows Cousins" said he wanted to stay and play next year, you enjoyed it so much.

I don't have a Mrs ;).. lol.

As long as people know his goal was to leave the game on a high, hence returning to football in the first place.
He wasn't satisfied and was committed to the 2010 wanted to play on again next year.
He surprised himself with his form and was satisfied that he proved to himself he still had it, and was contempt with leaving the game and the club with a few games left in the tank instead of biting off more than he can chew.
Ben has a team first mentality and believes the development of the side naturally will over take a 33 year old and doesn't want to take a young guys spot in the side.

Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1265 on: August 17, 2010, 10:41:54 PM »
Man! Spewin! Good luck Cuz, sometimes you can just pick a good bloke on meeting them once.
You did as much for us as we did for u, u r a Tiger  :clapping

Here here.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1266 on: August 18, 2010, 01:35:57 AM »
Terry Wallace: It was help for someone in life
Sam Edmund
Herald Sun
August 17, 2010 9:14PM

TERRY Wallace says the opportunity to help Ben Cousins as a human being was the major reason behind Richmond's decision to throw the disgraced Eagle a lifeline.

While the former Tigers coach stressed Cousins' 2008 recruitment had enormously benefited the club, Wallace said Richmond was also conscious it represented the last chance for the player.

"We sat around the board table and it was all over talkback radio and every Richmond supporter was having their say," Wallace said.

"I can remember telling the board, 'We're the last opportunity; St Kilda have said no, Collingwood have dropped out earlier on ... and this is bigger than just a footy story. In six months time, if we don't go down this path and something terrible happens, do you actually sleep well at night?'.

"We had no obligation, but sometimes it's pushing yourself over an obligation and saying there's something you can do in life that may help."

Wallace said the club had debated four other factors before finalising the decision on the former West Coast skipper.

"No. 1 was obviously his ability, No. 2 was his ability as an onfield leader to teach our younger players how to push themselves and how to win, there were the financials, and the support he would bring to the club and probably that there hadn't been a lot of good news stories at Richmond for a long time," he said.

"The four points were about helping the footy club, but, taking them out, did we want to just help someone in life?

"Life should be bigger than footy and at the end of the day we're kidding ourselves if it's not.

"I was really strong on the fact that this was a Brownlow medallist, a champion of the game and giving him another opportunity to get his life in order, and we were the last chance that he had.

"Richmond Football Club had an opportunity to do something on the human side of things that others weren't prepared to take on and I think the whole club in general took that on."

Wallace said Cousins would be remembered as one of the greats of the game.

"His work ethic - he probably changed the way a lot of midfielders went about it. He and Robert Harvey are the two guys to me in my time in coaching who stand out as taking their work ethic to another level," he said.

"Anyone involved with the West Coast would say he was their spiritual leader, and he taught a lot of onfield leadership skills to the younger Richmond boys."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/terry-wallace-it-was-help-for-someone-in-life/story-e6frf9jf-1225906541071

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1267 on: August 18, 2010, 11:41:59 AM »
Opportunities aplenty for Cousins, says Max Markson
Joseph Sapienza
August 18, 2010 - 9:20AM

High-profile celebrity agent Max Markson expects plenty of demand for Ben Cousins as endorsements and media opportunities flow to the retired star.

Cousins, 32, announced he would be hanging up the boots at the end of the season after more than 260 games for West Coast and then Richmond.

The former East Fremantle player has been on the airwaves for several years, having started out with 96FM in Perth and then with Nova in Melbourne after he was picked up by the Tigers.

Not only could he pursue a full-time career on the radio, but there was also scope for television appearances, speaking engagements and even endorsements for clothing labels.

Speaking to WAtoday.com.au after Cousins pulled the pin on a memorable career yesterday, Mr Markson said a possible stint on television loomed for Cousins, especially if he took on a presenter's role during his two-part TV documentary about his battles with drug addiction.

The series will air over two nights on the Seven Network next week, just days before his final AFL game against Port Adelaide at Etihad Stadium.

"People will be interested in how that transpires," Mr Markson said of the much-anticipated documentary. "If he is presenting it, he could get himself a job in the (television) media.

"From a TV point of view, there might be potential there."

On radio, Cousins already has a weekly slot on Nova, which has given him the edge in securing a more permanent role on Melbourne radio - a market Mr Markson described as "very competitive".

Celebrity agent Max Markson has weighed in on Ben Cousins' future and believes he could have a successful career in the media however Cousins joked yesterday that would be a last resort.

"He's already on the radio even while playing, and it's a good media job (to have)," he said. "He could now parlay that into a full-time position."

Outside the media, Mr Markson said there could be plenty of requests for Cousins for either endorsements or speaking engagements.

"He's got a big name and has got a big following, not just with guys, but also with girls," he said. "And girls just love a bad boy.

"There's definitely potential there for him to do personal appearances and speeches."

Mr Markson said it would be a case of "sink or swim" for Cousins in his early speaking opportunities.

"It depends on how good he is. If he does well first up, he will get as much (work) as he wants to," he said.

But he said it was "important" for Cousins to capitalise on his profile now "while he's hot", starting with possible endorsements for youth clothing brands.

Mr Markson did not believe Myer and David Jones would chase him, rather brands targeting young people.

"They would want to use him," he said of Cousins' ability to do some modelling for those labels. "Because of his appeal to the 18-25 market."

Mr Markson said Cousins' stature as a footballer put him on track to have success in his "next career" away from the football field.

He said Cousins must now carry his talent and success as a player into the next phase of his life, and he agreed the world was his oyster.

"There are high-profile players making a living after football," Mr Markson said, referring to Dermott Brereton and Robert "Dipper" DiPierdomenico. "And (Ben) has the potential to do that as well."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/opportunities-aplenty-for-cousins-says-max-markson-20100817-128b5.html

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #1268 on: August 18, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »
You can't say that Dick Smith and Luxbet didn't get their moneys worth.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:40:56 AM by wayne »
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1269 on: August 20, 2010, 01:35:49 AM »
Troubled great Ben Cousins to leave AFL on true high

* Jonathan Brown
    * August 20, 2010

ONE of the toughest things in professional sport is knowing when to retire.

Now, before I get into this, I've got to say this isn't something I'm an expert on because I've not contemplated retirement for one second. Hopefully it's still a long way off.

I will say, though, that I reckon it's a decision that only the person involved can make.

You can gather all the relevant information from a lot of sources, but the final call rests with you.

In the AFL there are basically three different ways to go out. Either your body gives you no option, you are told by the club it's time to go, or you just decide the timing is right.

Contributing factors vary from one situation to the next.

Is your club a realistic chance to challenge for a flag? That can be a real motivator and a driver for that one extra year.

What phase is the club in? Are they on a youth track and what role will veterans play?

Can your body get through another full year and allow you to make a meaningful team contribution?

Are you mentally fresh enough to get through not just another season but another pre-season?

And, finally, what's the contract situation?

The fun part of footy is match day. That's easy. It's why we play. We love to compete.

But coping with the mental and physical workload, both pre-season and in-season, can be damn hard, and if you can't do that then you're better off out of there.

Of the Lions boys, Jason Akermanis would probably say he played a year too long, while Shaun Hart was retired by the club when he wanted to play on. Michael Voss and Nigel Lappin could have gone another year, and Justin Leppitsch and Marcus Ashcroft had no choice. Their bodies were cooked.

This week I reckon Ben Cousins got it spot on.

I've got no doubt Cousins could have played again and been a valuable member of a Richmond side on the climb, but for the good of all concerned he decided time was up.

He chose to go out on his terms, ensuring he finished on a high - or should I say a positive. Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall. He'd had a few niggling little injuries and didn't want to run the risk of being a non-contributor in his final season.

I respect and admire that. It was an unselfish choice by a person who has obviously loved getting back into AFL footy after a 12-month suspension over his drug addiction.

The challenge for the ever-charismatic Cousins now is to keep his life in order without the regimented lifestyle and endless support mechanisms that are part of AFL football.

After Sunday week he won't be tested twice a week and there will be nobody checking up on him all the time. He'll be answerable only to himself, family and friends.

He could stay in footy as an assistant-coach, continuing a mentoring role he's filled as a player over the past two years at Punt Road, or he could take a break from the game. Again, his choice. Irrespective, he'll go down as one of the greats. Six All-Australian jumpers, four West Coast club championships and a Brownlow Medal say it all for the Eagles' pseudo 2006 premiership skipper, who was still a huge leadership key that year despite handing the captaincy to Chris Judd.

The thing I loved most about watching Cousins play was his gut-busting running ability. He ran the best taggers in the business into the ground. No doubt Cousins is a future Hall of Famer but, like Wayne Carey, he'll be made to wait a few years. That's fair enough. It's part of the price he'll pay for his off-field dramas.

The Cousins comeback has been as inspiring as his fall from grace was sad, and as an unashamed huge fan of one of the more explosive players of the modern era I desperately hope the next phase of his life is a positive one.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/troubled-great-ben-cousins-to-leave-afl-on-true-high/story-e6frepkx-1225907463216

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1270 on: August 20, 2010, 01:37:56 AM »
Cuz a Tiger at heart
By Michael Warner
Friday 20 AUG 2010, Page 116

RETIRING Tiger Ben Cousins says he'll be barracking for Richmond -- not West Coast -- when his career is over.

Cousins, named to play his second last game against St Kilda tomorrow, said after two years at Punt Rd he was wedded to the yellow and black.

"I look back on my 12 years at West Coast really positively, it was a huge part of my life. But my immediate connection and bond is with the playing group at Richmond,'' Cousins told the club's website yesterday.

"For the next five or six years I will look very closely at how we go and I'm looking forward to enjoying the successes that I think are going to come our way.''

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1271 on: August 20, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Sam Edmund
Herald Sun

Seems to me like some more revisionist history from the Tanned One.  Would it not have been more like ..... "Can this bloke help me save my career if I convince the Board to get him to Richmond?"  "How can I spin this so that the Board will find it an acceptable risk?"

Gullibility level?

I thought so too!

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1272 on: August 20, 2010, 08:18:07 PM »
Sam Edmund
Herald Sun

Seems to me like some more revisionist history from the Tanned One.  Would it not have been more like ..... "Can this bloke help me save my career if I convince the Board to get him to Richmond?"  "How can I spin this so that the Board will find it an acceptable risk?"

Gullibility level?

I thought so too!

Seems the most likely scenario given all the other poo he dished up over the majority of his coaching career.
He keeps saying that he is an easy target, its because he walks around with a bullseye on his leather ar$e
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1273 on: August 20, 2010, 10:06:01 PM »
What a shame Terry will be on the panel that is presenting the Ben Cousins Doco on Wednesday.

Have someone like Craig Cameron or Gary March or Kevin Sheedy.

Terry Wallace just leave us all alone.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1274 on: August 21, 2010, 02:58:31 AM »
Ben bombshell: I never knew Cousins was using drugs on my watch
Mick Malthouse
The Australian
August 21, 2010

I FIRST saw Ben Cousins play when coach of West Coast and he was still at school running around as a chubby little half-forward.

He had terrific skills but really looked like a kid who was in a private school. Things were pretty easy, he didn't work overly hard, and I thought it was going to be a real wake-up call if he came into the AFL system.

The invitation was there to come down and do some gym work to strengthen his body up and I saw a transformation before my eyes. He saw blokes like Dean Kemp, Guy McKenna and John Worsfold who had an appetite for real work. They gave him a few hints about how to prepare himself and we left it to him.

His father Bryan Cousins played 67 games for Geelong in the late '70s and the Cats were desperate to recruit his precociously talented son under the father-son rule.

Under the rules West Coast could also take the sons of former VFL players based in WA and thankfully Ben chose West Coast.

By the time he was drafted the kid had gone from a puppy-fat little boy to an 18-year-old who had transferred his body shape into something approaching an AFL footballer.

Ben made his AFL debut in 1996 and proved to be one of those very rare players in my coaching career who had something special. He reminded me of former Richmond premiership teammate Geoff Raines, who had the capacity to run, lean forward and pick the ball up without breaking stride or losing pace while maintaining possession.

Raines and Cousins could do it so cleanly, which is important, and it's something you can't teach. It's an innate ability which becomes even better with fitness and strength.

As he developed Ben became virtually untouchable. He was able to break away in the same stride, leaving his defender flat-footed.

His reputation grew rapidly to the point where we played the Bulldogs one day and he was tagged by Tony Liberatore, who had lost his pace but developed a fierce reputation as a run-with player.

Ben came off with scratches all over his body for whatever reason and that night proved a massive education for him. He learnt that the better you get, the more attention you receive, even if he wasn't going to come up against a Liberatore every week. It was a testament to how good he was so early in his career.

In almost three decades of coaching only a handful of players I have dealt with worked as hard on their game as Ben. We got into a habit of doing some touch work at the end of training. It was a simple exercise of him handpassing and me punching the ball back to him, just getting his touch right. Very quickly it got to the stage where he had to have that touch work, particularly at the end of the week, or he wouldn't leave the field. He needed that Linus blanket.

In relation to Ben's much publicised battle with drugs, I was interviewed for his documentary. I don't know if my segment has made the cut but my question to Ben was "were you on drugs when I was coaching you?"

He nodded to suggest he had been on something during our four-year association but I don't know what.

I was totally unaware of it. I would like to have been more versed in looking for the characteristics of drug abuse and addiction but it's not something we're taught as coaches.

I didn't see anything outside the norm. I saw a young man enjoying his football, playing as hard as he possibly could, and developing into a very good footballer.

When I left at the end of 1999 I was totally oblivious to anything that was taking place, through ignorance. I didn't understand the drug culture the youth were confronted with at that time.

Even though I had four children myself roughly the same age as Ben, I really had no idea.

It was a shock when I found out. I couldn't find any reason why this was taking place.

At Collingwood we interviewed Ben after he was sacked by West Coast and then suspended by the AFL for a year. It's the only occasion I wanted the club board in charge of recruiting.

The football department spent hours doing due diligence interviewing people including Ben.

He was very, very honest, informing us where he was at and it was warts and all. He hid nothing from us.

We took it back to the board and the board said no, which made it easy for me because I was emotionally attached. Ben and my kids virtually grew up together and I'd caught up with him for coffee a bit during his troubled times.

Fortunately it was taken out of my hands because I would have certainly said yes.

Clearly the club had a very good foundation for not proceeding. Richmond threw Ben a lifeline. He grabbed it and prospered.

If the board was agreeable I'd certainly take Ben on in some capacity at Collingwood. I think he's got a lot to offer.

We as a football community have learnt so much now about the drug problem through Ben's openness and honesty. I'd certainly be encouraging him to approach the AFL to see if he can be involved in some capacity, if he wants to.

Ben might be about to finish as a football player but I don't think he's finished as a football person. I and so many others I've spoken to wish Ben every success with the rest of his life.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/ben-bombshell-i-never-knew-cousins-was-using-drugs-on-my-watch/story-e6frg7mf-1225907970098