Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 402783 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #1785 on: April 05, 2016, 11:36:26 PM »
Okay, back to the topic!

Hodge defends under-fire Tigers skipper

Herald-Sun
6 April 2016

CHAMPION Hawthorn captain Luke Hodge has defended Trent Cotchin and recalled the night the under-fire Tigers’ skipper showcased a more physical edge to his captaincy.

Hodge said Cotchin had been unfairly criticised for his leadership in the wake of Richmond’s underwhelming start to the season but was adamant the Tigers’ captain was “only going to grow and get better in the role”.

Hodge, who is regarded as one of the greatest captains of the modern era, said Cotchin was instrumental in the Tigers’ 18-point win over Hawthorn Round 18 last year, when the Richmond skipper barrelled straight into Hodge and Sam Mitchell at the opening bounce.

Hodge said although Cotchin wasn’t a naturally physical player, the opening bounce bumps set the tone for the rest of his Richmond teammates in the upset win over the Hawks at the MCG.

“As far as ‘Cotch’ goes, I think he is getting the hard end (of the debate),” Hodge said on Triple M.

“When we played against them last year I saw a bloke — who is not naturally a physical person — who had come out of himself.

“For what his team needed, I thought he was putting his team ahead of himself and I think he is only going to grow and get better.”

Hodge said he was slightly surprised by Cotchin’s opening bounce physicality, saying “I think the comment was to him (at the time) ‘where have you been?’

“But I think a captain needs to find out what his team needs at that time and that night definitely he needed to be more physical,” he said.

“And they (Tigers) ended up beating us that night, and you could sort of see the rest of the team follow him.”

Cotchin has been criticised for failing to show leadership in the crucial final minutes of the Tigers’ one-point loss to Collingwood on Friday night, which continues a string of close Richmond losses in recent years.

Spearhead Jack Riewoldt is widely touted as a potential Richmond captain but has not been voted in the club’s leadership group in the past two seasons.

Hodge said Cotchin must be the club’s best captaincy candidate on and off the field.

“People have been talking about Jack Riewolt and he seems like a very good leader on the field,” Hodge said.

“But I guess as far as Cotch goes he gets voted in because he does everything around the football club that they see. The people that know best are the people around the football club.”

Cotchin and Hodge’s four-time premiership teammate Sam Mitchell finished equal second in the 2012 Brownlow Medal count won by suspended Bomber Jobe Watson.

When asked if Mitchell should receive the medal in the event Watson had to hand it back, Hodge said “you don’t want to strip it off Jobe”.

“I know if you speak to Mitch, whatever happened in the past happened and he can’t do much about it,” Hodge said.

“All he (Mitchell) is worried about is what he can handle at this stage, so whatever happens with that (Brownlow) I don’t think the players are too fussed.

“It’s hard to know, because with the Essendon inner sanctum you don’t know what happened there.

“If the AFL gives it (Brownlow Medal) to them, I think they’ve got to accept it, but I don’t think Mitch or Cotch are holding their breath.

“I think they are worried about the now. That was three or four years ago and it was in the past.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/luke-hodge-defends-richmond-captain-trent-cotchin-after-tigers-slow-start-to-the-afl-season/news-story/06fe94e501902f906eff357544d66024

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1786 on: April 06, 2016, 03:49:33 AM »
Dimma talking about Cotch in his dissection vid:

* The skipper for some unknown reason continues to cop a whacking from the media. They are on the ground and know what influence Cotch is having on the game.

* Thought Trent's game was wonderful. Not only did he have the most possessions but he was the number one players on the ground for contested possessions and clearances. Good captain's lead from the front and Cotch definitely did that on Friday night. Just couldn't get us across the line. His contested numbers were great and he used the ball well. He had 500 metres gained which is an elite number.

* We're happy with his bounce back after the round 1 disappointment. He'll play another really good game this week against Adelaide which will be a high contested game. We expect the skipper as usual to lead from the front.   

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1787 on: April 06, 2016, 07:44:45 AM »
certainly led from the front with those wonderful difficult goals.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #1788 on: April 06, 2016, 10:49:40 AM »
And that's fair enough. One day when those who you don't respect have left the club and we are looking at some success, you may be swayed to hand over your hard earned once more and become a member. There is nothing wrong with that at all. :thumbsup

Eff me. I thought you didn't care about non-members.
I'm a special case ;)...but not in the same respect as you or tonto :P

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #1789 on: April 06, 2016, 11:16:44 AM »
500 meters gained

Not too shabby
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1790 on: April 06, 2016, 11:17:18 AM »
Reckon the RFC would be better off without some people whether paid up members or not

Spot on! Couldn't have said it better myself. Shut the door on your way out bello. Life will be a whole lot better without your good self and Mr Paul Bongiorno aka 65.

Thats a bit rough on 65, he makes a valuable contribution to the politics thread

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1791 on: April 06, 2016, 11:18:21 AM »

Thats a bit rough on 65, he makes a valuable contribution to the politics thread

Lies all lies.

:thumbsdown

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #1792 on: April 06, 2016, 11:23:23 AM »
Reckon the RFC would be better off without some people whether paid up members or not

Spot on! Couldn't have said it better myself. Shut the door on your way out bello. Life will be a whole lot better without your good self and Mr Paul Bongiorno aka 65.

You reckon
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1793 on: April 06, 2016, 11:37:53 AM »
And that's fair enough. One day when those who you don't respect have left the club and we are looking at some success, you may be swayed to hand over your hard earned once more and become a member. There is nothing wrong with that at all. :thumbsup

I do care. What I say in jest is just that! ;D
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1794 on: April 06, 2016, 12:23:24 PM »
These idiot comments by hardwick only compound the problem of the RFC.
He's more a psychological guardian than a footy coach.
Geez
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1795 on: April 06, 2016, 12:51:09 PM »
If only he could lactate so he could nurse them.....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1796 on: April 06, 2016, 02:59:41 PM »

I'm a special case ;)...but not in the same respect as you or tonto :P

And here I was going to compliment you. Oh well. Treating you mean has been keeping you keen I guess

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1797 on: April 06, 2016, 06:08:00 PM »
Need to make Jack captain throughout this season so that we can trade Cotchin after finals.

Use him to lure a big fish - eg. Hogan or Cripps!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1798 on: April 08, 2016, 02:29:02 AM »
“Given the streams of social media and so forth now, it is in your face non-stop, whether it’s Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, any paper . . . all the radio stations are talking about it,” Cotchin told Tiger great Matthew Richardson on the Club’s new weekly preview podcast.

“But the reality is for me, as an individual, you need to ignore it, otherwise it does bog you down.  And in some ways, people would think that you’d start to question yourself.

“The reality is the No.1 opinions that matter for me are my teammates and coaches, and the people that I love and care about most, which is my family and friends.”

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick went in to bat for Cotchin during his press conference at the Club on Thursday morning, labelling the criticism “unjust and farcical”.

“That’s the first time I’ve heard ‘Dimma’ talking about it (publicly), so it’s fantastic support from the coach . . . They’re the conversations we have behind closed doors, and they’re the people you care most about,” Cotchin said.

The Tigers’ skipper expected his side to be stretched again, like it was against Collingwood, throughout the season, as this year “it’s anyone’s game, bottom versus top”.

“It will happen throughout the year a number of times, whether that will be the last four minutes of a game, or when we’re behind and we need to win a game,” Cotchin said.

“It’s always good to have little lessons along the way, as long as they don’t damage you too much on the back-end of (the season), which we’re hoping isn’t the case, which is why we need to win this game of footy (against Adelaide) on Saturday.”

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-04-07/you-need-to-ignore-it-says-cotchin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1799 on: April 10, 2016, 03:05:27 PM »
Trent Cotchin gets an inordinate amount of attention

All eyes were on Tigers skipper Trent Cotchin, after he racked up 38 disposals in a one-point loss to Collingwood in round two. He played against Adelaide as he usually does – very well, finishing with 32 disposals. His leadership, which was criticised in the past week, also looked good, with the captain often a strong vocal presence. His tackling was fierce at times. At 1-2, Richmond certainly has its problems, but Cotchin is not one of them.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-09/five-talking-points-richmond-v-adelaide