Author Topic: Alex Rance [merged]  (Read 211676 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Rance Retires Effectively Immediately to Focus on Family & Faith
« Reply #2685 on: March 11, 2021, 01:56:54 PM »
Dylan Grimes gave a glimmer of hope for those desperate for an Alex Rance comeback.

"I wouldn’t say it was an impossibility … nothing with Rancey is an impossibility."

Source: AFL website

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
He's back: Alex Rance's football return confirmed (SEN)
« Reply #2686 on: March 25, 2021, 10:28:16 PM »
HE'S BACK: ALEX RANCE'S FOOTBALL RETURN CONFIRMED

BY SEN
25 March 2020

Alex Rance’s football comeback has officially been locked in.

The 31-year-old former Tiger, who hasn’t played football at any level since announcing his retirement at the end of 2019, will head west to play several games of amateur footy for Swan Valley.

The club plays in the fourth tier of Western Australian amateur football and is coached by former Carlton player David Ellard.

Ellard, who is both a player and coach for the club, confirmed Rance was locked in to play two games later this year.

“I can confirm it’s all happening,” he said on Triple M.

“As long as (West Australia Premier) Marc McGowan doesn’t close the borders he’ll be over here and I’m looking forward to it, it’ll be a great day for the footy club.

“It’s been a long time talking (with him) about it and it’s great to put our jumpers on together."

Rance will feature for Swan Valley during their home games on May 1 and 8.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/03/25/hes-back-alex-rances-football-return-confirmed/

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2687 on: March 26, 2021, 12:21:48 AM »
1 and 8. He wore 18 for us. This is a sign he’s coming back to play for us. Illuminati confirmed

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #2688 on: March 26, 2021, 10:48:57 AM »
1 and 8. He wore 18 for us. This is a sign he’s coming back to play for us. Illuminati confirmed
:rollin :lol
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2689 on: May 04, 2021, 02:31:09 PM »
CLUBS CONTINUE TO ASK, BUT ALEX RANCE CATEGORIC ON AFL RETIREMENT

Sam Edmund
SEN
4 May 2021

Clubs continue to ask the question of former superstar defender Alex Rance more than two years after his last AFL game.

Rance tore his ACL in the opening round of 2019 and retired in December that year.

As things stand, he has no intention of returning to the top level but will soon pull the boots on for C-Grade West Australian side, Swan Valley.

It is said that every month or so a club asks the question of Rance – framed in a casual nature along the lines of: ‘He wouldn’t play again would he?’

The Western Bulldogs were the latest outfit to put the feelers out, but it might have happened 10 times since Rance announced his retirement at the age of 30.

“I think it’s a good idea and I can’t believe Alex Rance is sitting over in Western Australia playing whatever level of football it is,” Brownlow medallist Gerard Healy said on AFL Nation on Friday.

“My understanding is Richmond is topped out salary cap wise and essentially they’re not in much need as the Western Bulldogs.

“Wouldn’t it be so exciting? I’d make the call. If I was the Dogs, I’d make the call because that’s their weakness right now.”

Yet Rance could not be more categoric about not wanting to play AFL football again.

While Kade Simpson said he “100 per cent” wished he was still playing and Gary Ablett admitted he was “open to a conversation” with Geelong about a comeback, Rance remains a firm no.

The five-time All-Australian is a couple of weeks away from running out for Swan Valley, which is coached by Rance’s cousin and former Carlton player David Ellard.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/03/clubs-continue-to-ask-but-alex-rance-categoric-on-afl-retirement/

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2690 on: May 04, 2021, 03:00:19 PM »
Good on him. Must be satisfying knowing that you still had something to give when you quit.

Ablett just needs to accept that he is cooked.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2691 on: May 05, 2021, 09:28:26 AM »
He's not coming back and even if he did he wouldn't be the Rance that left the game in 2018. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Alex Rance says he was fit enough to play in 2019 Grand Final (HeraldSun)
« Reply #2692 on: May 11, 2021, 06:55:00 PM »
Former Richmond star Alex Rance says he was fit enough to play in the 2019 Grand Final but was talked out of it

NCA NewsWire
May 11, 2021 5:05PM

Former Richmond star Alex Rance has revealed he was fit enough to make what would have been a fairytale playing return in the 2019 Grand Final but opted not to fearing the “guilt” he would have lived with if he broke down.

Rance ruptured his ACL in the opening round of 2019 and never played again, calling time on his stunning career, which netted a premiership and five All-Australian nods, in December the same year, missing out on a second flag.

But Rance has revealed he “pushed hard” to play his final AFL game in the Tigers massive 89-point Grand Final win over GWS before a conversation with coach Damien Hardwick forced him to make an “emotional” decision to opt out.

“I reckon I could have played in that Grand Final in 2019,” Rance told Dylan Buckley on the Dyl and Friends podcast.

“Physically I felt like I was OK to play. I set myself from the start, I want to play in the Grand Final and I am going to push myself to try and get there. I was running at six weeks and pushing it really hard.

“I felt like I was at a point where I was challenging the medical staff to let me play. It got to a point where we had to make a call, am I pushing forward with this or is it cue in the rack and we go for next year ?

“I had to have that discussion with Dimma (Hardwick) to say, I’m either playing my last game in Round 1, or a Grand Final, what’s it going to be ?

“He was like, well, what would you do in this situation where if we played you and you felt fine and you broke down mid game and we lost the Grand Final, would you be able to live with yourself ?

“It was more of a cultural and emotional decision I had to make than a physical one. I don’t want to risk everyone’s happiness, for my greed.

“There was probably a little bit of fear of rupturing it again. But the overriding emotion was I would feel so guilty for the rest of my life if we lost that Grand Final because I couldn’t finish the game.”

Clubs have continued to ask whether Rance, who is only 31, could consider making an AFL return.

But the former star defender said retirement remained “the best decision I have ever made”.

“There’s always still a part of me which loves football and it’s the best job in the world being an AFL player, it’s so fun. But it comes at a cost,” he said.

“Retirement for me was looking at all of the chips on the table and saying, what do I really want, what are my priorities now.

“There are plenty of days where I think I have made the wrong decision. But … I look at the relationship I have with my nephews now and it’s the best decision I have made in my life. “

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/former-richmond-star-alex-rance-says-he-was-fit-enough-to-play-in-the-2019-grand-final-but-was-talked-out-of-it-c-2813303

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2693 on: May 21, 2021, 03:28:06 PM »
Former Richmond premiership star Alex Rance will come out of retirement to play for Seymour Football Club next weekend, taking to the field for his first competitive hitout since Round 1, 2019.

The 31-year-old’s inclusion was announced on the Seymour Football Netball Club’s social media channels, with the five-time All-Australian a business partner with the club’s captain and assistant coach Ben Clifton.

Clubs have continued to inquire about Rance’s availability since his shock retirement at the end of 2019, but the premiership defender has repeatedly ruled out the prospect of an AFL comeback.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2021-alex-rance-comeback-richmond-local-footy-how-old-can-he-still-play-trade-midseason-draft-seymour-football-club/news-story/5be261dc8688dec8450dd0b7f781ce77

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2694 on: June 23, 2021, 03:28:31 AM »
Rance playing for Seymour this weekend.

An AFL great is finally set to make his return to the football field this weekend two years after a serious injury ended his career. Here’s where.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/goulburn-valley/exafl-defender-alex-rance-to-play-for-seymour-in-gvl/news-story/b99196bf559c2be2e996b071d7585b66

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2695 on: June 24, 2021, 06:33:07 PM »
🗣“GAMEDAY MADE ME THE MOST EXTREME VERSION OF MYSELF...”

During his career, Alex Rance struggled to balance his gameday persona and his ideal self.

And it’s a struggle that many #AFL players face on a weekly basis.

FULL INTERVIEW: https://open.spotify.com/episode/366O2fAD7Zk6fVywaz2iQ1?si=ca19b23175e84fa9&nd=1

-------------------

Two min snippet:

https://twitter.com/AFLFootyLive/status/1407875920925364229

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2696 on: June 27, 2021, 05:29:31 AM »

‘Didn’t trouble the scorers’: Tigers champion Alex Rance finally makes footy comeback

Fox Sports
June 27th, 2021

Less than 24 hours after his Richmond replacement Noah Balta went down with a serious ankle injury, Alex Rance was back out on a footy field.

While he won’t be making an AFL return any time soon - or probably ever - the former Tigers superstar still drew a handy crowd for the Seymour Lions in Victoria’s Goulburn Valley Football League.

The 31-year-old started as a full-forward, reports the Goulburn Valley Leader, and also spent time in the midfield but didn’t kick a major.

“I didn’t trouble the scorers too much, I kicked one point and gave a couple off,” Rance said.

“I was a little bit nervous on the drive up but once I got here it was business as usual.

“I never thought I would really play anywhere but Ben Clifton (Seymour captain) is a good mate of mine and we thought we would have a kick together.

“It was more fun than anything else.”

Seymour lost the game to Mansfield by 41 points but Rance was unsurprisingly one of the best players on the ground.

It was his first game of footy since Round 1, 2019 when he suffered a serious knee injury against Carlton. He then retired at the end of the year to focus on “his family and his religion”.

Seymour coach Ben Davey praised Rance for sticking around after training on Thursday night, kicking the footy with younger players for half an hour, and then helped clean up tables and chairs.

Rance was a five-time All-Australian, named in the squad in each of his last five full seasons, a 2015 best-and-fairest winner and a 2017 premiership player.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-2021-alex-rance-footy-return-country-footy-seymour-goulburn-valley-football-league-richmond-tigers-comeback-news/news-story/8dedb47130edb171381f330c7c28a9f0

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2697 on: June 27, 2021, 01:19:14 PM »
Sign him up!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2698 on: June 27, 2021, 01:43:58 PM »
Boy oh boy if only the stars had aligned and we had picked him back up in the MSD.

I'd make him captain right now tbh and I'd feel a heck of a lot better going into both the WCE and Saints games.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2699 on: June 27, 2021, 02:05:01 PM »
Boy oh boy if only the stars had aligned and we had picked him back up in the MSD.

I'd make him captain right now tbh and I'd feel a heck of a lot better going into both the WCE and Saints games.

He didn't nominate or if he was automatically nominated and he removed himself from the draft (not sure which it was under the MSD)  so we couldn't pick him up

He isn't coming back not just to the Tigers but the AFL
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)