Author Topic: Troy Taylor [merged]  (Read 109879 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers refuse to give up on Taylor (Age)
« Reply #915 on: May 20, 2011, 03:03:09 AM »
Tigers refuse to give up on Taylor
Jon Pierik
May 20, 2011

AS RICHMOND prepares to celebrate Dreamtime at the 'G against Essendon and the contribution the indigenous have made to the sport, the Tigers are working to help one of their own preserve his football career.

Troy Taylor, 19, returned to the Northern Territory for personal reasons in March and is unlikely to rejoin the Tigers this year. He played four matches in his debut season last year. But he continued to struggle to adjust to life in Melbourne and the commitment required to be an AFL player.

While his mother wants him to pursue his football career, the lure of friends at home in Alice Springs remains strong.

The Tigers are keen for him to remain in a football environment, provided he is also, and perhaps play with the Northern Territory Thunder in the North East Australian Football League in a bid to ensure his talent is not wasted.

''We are working with the key people from Darwin to help support Troy,'' Tigers general manager of football Craig Cameron said last night. ''Part of that support involves speaking to the AFL to request they allow Troy to play in another competition which we think would be an important outcome for him in the short term.''

As Taylor remains on the Tigers' list, he will need approval from the AFL to play elsewhere. He is out of contract at the end of the year.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said motivation was the primary issue for Taylor. ''Troy has to make a decision whether he wants to commit to AFL footy,'' he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-refuse-to-give-up-on-taylor-20110519-1euyf.html#ixzz1MoozTmNR

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Troy Taylor [merged]
« Reply #916 on: May 20, 2011, 11:34:46 AM »
From what i understand its this way..the AFL/Richmond is in the business of making money/winning permierships. Therefore players like Ben Cousins with a proven champion track record are given chances. Players with an unproven track record and essentially a risk to the bottom dollar and the chance at a premiership are given a token consideration and a small amount of leeway before they are given their marching orders. UNLESS they are of a minority group, and the Afl/Richmond have to be seen as doing the right thing. I am NOT a racist, just an average supporter, I understand that minority groups have to fight harder for things that others find easy, but I dont think its fair in elite sports that your minorities get an easier run than others. 100% effort should get 100% reward regardless of race colour or creed :gotigers

Great post buti maintain that Dan Connors is white, lazy trash that gets gifted games yet he is not a part of a minority, Gus Graham the same.  :police:
And then there's Fev - a 30 year who came to footy with baggage and has never has grown up.

For me the issue has nothing to do with race. It's not right but naturally-gifted footballers are given a hell a lot more leeway to continually screw up, stuff around and be self-absorbed (Wayne Carey was another) than a footballer who has had to scratch and claw his way up each level to reach the AFL knowing one slip up will get him the flick. If Troy didn't have so much natural talent no one at the Club would give a stuff about him. Sadly Troy is too immature and is carrying too much baggage to realise the opportunity he is throwing away. He's not the first and he won't be the last.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #917 on: May 20, 2011, 11:38:56 AM »
From what i understand its this way..the AFL/Richmond is in the business of making money/winning permierships. Therefore players like Ben Cousins with a proven champion track record are given chances. Players with an unproven track record and essentially a risk to the bottom dollar and the chance at a premiership are given a token consideration and a small amount of leeway before they are given their marching orders. UNLESS they are of a minority group, and the Afl/Richmond have to be seen as doing the right thing. I am NOT a racist, just an average supporter, I understand that minority groups have to fight harder for things that others find easy, but I dont think its fair in elite sports that your minorities get an easier run than others. 100% effort should get 100% reward regardless of race colour or creed :gotigers

Great post buti maintain that Dan Connors is white, lazy trash that gets gifted games yet he is not a part of a minority, Gus Graham the same.  :police:
And then there's Fev - a 30 year who came to footy with baggage and has never has grown up.

For me the issue has nothing to do with race. It's not right but naturally-gifted footballers are given a hell a lot more leeway to continually screw up, stuff around and be self-absorbed (Wayne Carey was another) than a footballer who has had to scratch and claw his way up each level to reach the AFL knowing one slip up will get him the flick. If Troy didn't have so much natural talent no one at the Club would give a stuff about him. Sadly Troy is too immature and is carrying too much baggage to realise the opportunity he is throwing away. He's not the first and he won't be the last.

Great Post
Go Tigers!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #918 on: May 20, 2011, 06:34:02 PM »

Agree MT, great post.   :thumbsup

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #919 on: May 20, 2011, 09:42:29 PM »
On the issue of racism if you use colour or race in a derogatory manner it's racism. You can never understand it unless you are in a position of minority or oppression. It's offensive and a completely unacceptable. 

Pipe down Peckerwood >:(

Ox

« Reply #920 on: May 20, 2011, 10:45:21 PM »
yeh,STFU!  :cheers

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #921 on: May 20, 2011, 11:09:15 PM »
Wheres cracker?
  :lol

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #922 on: May 20, 2011, 11:12:40 PM »
Don't be so stuffing rude. Get out.

Both of you.
 >:(

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #923 on: May 20, 2011, 11:27:25 PM »
What? Who is this?

How very dare you!

Do you know who I am?  >:(

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #924 on: May 20, 2011, 11:28:39 PM »
Yes, I know very well who you are! You're my son! Now get to bed.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #925 on: May 20, 2011, 11:47:19 PM »
Yes, I know very well who you are! You're my son! Now get to bed.

Uh, ok. Sorry Dad.

Ox

« Reply #926 on: May 20, 2011, 11:53:03 PM »
LOL

They're a flock of fresh air.....little Darls

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #927 on: May 20, 2011, 11:53:28 PM »
You know I love you. You could run over my chicken shed and I still love you....

Bed time

Offline Shiner

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #928 on: May 21, 2011, 04:11:58 AM »

If I remember correctly,
Gary Ablett struggled at hawthorn early in his career because he could not live in the city.... preferred the bush.
He was 23/ 24 before he went to Geelong and became the greatest footballer to ever put the boots on.
Nathan Ablett had the footy World at this feet after winning a flag with the cats..... and discovered that it wasn't for him.
My point is..... there are countless footballers with all the talent to make it..... who find that as much as it seems like the ultimate dream, they find that it isn't theirs..... again it has nothing to do with race.
It happens with movie stars, rock stars etc etc. of all cultures and backgrounds.
Troy is 19 years old.... How many of us had a clue at 19?
As Joseph Campbell once said... "What happens when you get to the top of the ladder, only to discover it's against the wrong wall."
We may be angry at Troy for not wanting our dream, but it might not be his.
He may have thought so at the time... but now is unsure.
It takes courage to way away from something... even it it seems like the wrong thing to do to everyone else and draws criticism and even hatred.
He is trying to find himself and his identity... just like all of us.

I hope he finds and lives his dream, whatever that may be.
Personally I would love to see him make it as i am excited by his potential.
Maybe, just maybe.... he like Gary Ablett, will realize that footy and playing AFL is his dream and becomes one of the greatest ever.
Only time will tell and only Troy knows what his path in life maybe.
Whatever it is... I wish him all the best,
Good luck to you brother

Ox

« Reply #929 on: May 21, 2011, 10:39:21 AM »
That's all fine but he expected a house.....on top of a wall he didnt want to climb,to use your analogy.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:09:14 PM by WilliamPowell »