Author Topic: Troy Taylor [merged]  (Read 108179 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Troy Taylor [merged]
« on: November 26, 2009, 07:25:58 PM »
Welcome Troy  :)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 51. Troy Taylor
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 07:27:53 PM »
Troy Taylor

D.O.B:   12-Sep-1991
Club:   NT Thunder
State:   NT
Height:   188cm
Weight:   75kg
Position:   Forward

Agile footballer with clean skills by both hand and foot. Second efforts, ball winning ability and marking are also features of his game. NT U18 representative in 2009. From South Alice Springs FC.

Video: http://offseasondraft.championdata.com/afl_off_season_draft/offSeasonDraft/player_profile.jsp?player_id=116030

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 07:29:36 PM »
Taller than I expected. Thought he was a small forward but at 188 cm pleasantly surprised.  :thumbsup

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 08:00:51 PM »
pick of the bunch they are saying.

looks the goods
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 08:02:32 PM »
his skills, ball handling and marking are a feature, looks very slow, probably nowhere near conditioned right? Hope his work ethic is strng, has the goods to be a real player looking at footage

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 08:36:03 PM »
Absolutely rapt with this selection  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 08:37:54 PM »
2009 National Draft - Troy Taylor

Troy Taylor highlights: http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/226075

DOB: 12/09/91
Height: 188.7cm
Weight: 76.5kg
Club: Northern Territory U18, NT Thunder-QAFL

What the recruiters say:
Troy is an exciting indigenous talent from the Northern Territory who came to notice in a warm up match for the NT Thunder U18 team in their TAC Cup against Dandenong in round 5. Troy put his special talent on display with 2 exceptional goals and 6 tackles.

Troy was in good form at the start of the U18 National Championships with a 3 goals against Tasmania in game 1 at Visy Park and then followed up with 3 goals against NSW on a rain soaked oval at Telstra Stadium in Sydney.

Troy has tremendous athletic ability to jump at the footy and mark from all angles. He has the great ability to win contested possession in tight situations with amazing ball handling and deft touch to his own advantage. His contested possession ratio to uncontested was 7:5 over the carnival while having 9 contested marks to 8 uncontested.

Troy will continue to be developed as a medium forward as the club looks to add more exciting, unpredictable talent to its forward structures.

Troy Taylor in his own words:

What type of player are you?
Physical and strong.

Which AFL player do you resemble, and why?
Daryl White and Jared Brennan – I feel I have the skills that they have.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Marking, jumping, kicking and a team player.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Fitness.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
St. Kilda, because my father barracks for them.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Mum, coaches, team members and uncles. They have supported me mentally and have been positive at all times.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2010/2009NationalDraft/TroyTaylor/tabid/15512/Default.aspx

tony_montana

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 08:39:40 PM »
http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/226079

some good footage, his tempo looks good in parts. like the fact he mentions fitness as what he needs to work on, afl fit, he wll be one hell of a player
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:18:24 PM by tony_montana »

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 08:43:07 PM »
his skills, ball handling and marking are a feature, looks very slow, probably nowhere near conditioned right? Hope his work ethic is strng, has the goods to be a real player looking at footage
Got a feeling he may be a bit deceptive here. looking at some footage he looked to be cruising but the chaser was running his guts out but not getting any closer.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tigertough12

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 08:45:39 PM »

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 08:49:15 PM »
And Burgan had him going 18-34.  We picked him up at 51.  Another example of how hopeless Jackson is.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 11:16:51 PM »
Some artilces on Taylor....

Fantastic month for 17-y-o Troy Taylor
Max Bennett
17Jul09

IN a matter of weeks Troy Taylor, 17, has gone from playing for South in the Ngurratjuta Cup competition at Traeger Park to appearing on national television at the AFL under-18 championships.

Taylor made his Thunder senior debut in the QAFL last weekend and hopes he can cement a spot in the side ahead of a double-header in Alice Springs, an opportunity that excites the AFL hopeful.

He said: "It's going to be great to play in front of my family and friends here.

"I'm really looking forward to hopefully playing those games if I get picked.

''Along the way he has been compared to Port Adelaide superstar Daniel Motlop by no less than AFL recruiting manager Kevin Sheehan and AIS-AFL Academy head coach Jason McCartney.

Taylor said: "I don't really think its true.

"I do a bit of freaky stuff but I don't think I'm like Daniel Motlop but it's good for them to say I'm like him because he's an AFL star.

''Still getting his head around it all, Taylor admitted it was nice to be back in familiar surrounds, hanging out with friends and enjoying the school holidays.

He said: "It's a bit of a shock to be playing for South, then to be playing at the under-18 championships and get a game in the Thunder senior side."It's been pretty crazy but I'm coping with it all.

''Taylor played the final two games of the championships in Melbourne as part of the NT side that ultimately defeated Queensland in the final match telecast on Fox Sports with every recruiter in the country watching his every move.

Admitting he was feeling the nerves, Taylor said he had to push all the other things going on out of his mind and concentrate on doing his bit for the team.

He said: "I try to do my best because I do know the recruiters are watching, so I try and do well for them and the team."But the team is the main focus.''

http://www.centralianadvocate.com.au/article/2009/07/17/3975_sport.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 11:21:59 PM »
Troy Taylor

Statistic averages in the Under 18 Championships:

Team  NT

Matches 5

Kicks  9.6

Kicking Efficiency %   45.8

Handballs  3.4

Disposals  13

Disposal Efficiency % 47.7

Marks  3.4

Contested Possessions  7.2

Uncontested Possessions  5.4

Clearances  1.2

Tackles 3.2

Goals 1.4

Behinds 1.6

Position: Forward Pocket/Third Forward

Troy Taylor is an X-Factor player who has regularly been likened to Motlop in terms of the way he plays his football. Capable of the freakish Taylor has shown a capacity to influence games with a handful of touches, something which has a lot of people excited about his potential AFL career.

Many expected Troy Taylor to end up at the Gold Coast, who chased him heavily, but the lure of playing at an AFL club next year has seen him decline that route.

There are a few question marks that may keep Taylor out of the first round of the draft in that his attitude and work rate have been questioned in the past. I suspect much of this stems from a couple run-ins with the law he has had for robberies and assault but it has been suggested that he is actually a terrific bloke who mixed with the wrong crowd. Whatever the case the recruiters put potential draftees through a lot of tough questions at draft camp and I’m sure most clubs will be able to look past previous indiscretions.

Personally I have Taylor going late second round but that has me in the minority as most expect a late first/early second round pick to be used. Whilst Troy Taylor has amazing hands, agility and vision I worry about his kicking, fitness and attitude which caused him to slide, full of potential though and exciting to watch.

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2009/11/troy-taylor-2009-afl-draft-prospect.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 11:23:56 PM »
Taylor the prize in tug-of-war
The Age
October 4, 2009

THE Sunday Age first met Troy Taylor on a Wednesday afternoon in July. The teenager had just played his final game for the Northern Territory's under-18 football team, attracting attention yet again with his clean pick-ups and sweet skills. Recruiters were speaking of him in terms of a possible first-round pick, but the Gold Coast was intent on signing him outside the draft, as part of its concessions.

Taylor wasn't quite sure what to make of all the fuss, and this choice he never knew he had. Only a few months earlier, he had been in a juvenile detention centre in Darwin; a potential AFL career was the last thing on his mind.

Taylor and his mother Tania spoke openly about the trouble he had got into: latching onto the wrong mates, helping them rob a service station in Darwin, breaching a good-behaviour bond by sneaking out at night and getting into fights, the last of which resulted in him being placed in the detention centre for four months. He walked out in February determined to never go back and since then has moved to Alice Springs with his mum, been welcomed back into the Territory team, starred, played a handful of games for the senior Territory team in the Queensland league and been invited to last week's draft camp in Canberra.

Now, the 17-year-old has essentially become caught in a tug of war.

The Gold Coast, which has first call on Queensland and NT players this year and next, wanted him. Almost straight after the championships, the club's coaches, Guy McKenna, Shaun Hart and Marcus Ashcroft, showed Troy, Tania and Troy's older brother Corey around their club and the district, delivering an impressive sales pitch.

''They showed us the beaches and the club, and they took me to the school where I'd be going with some of the other Gold Coast boys if I went up there,'' said Taylor, who has gone back to year 11 this year. ''It looked heaps good. It looked awesome, actually. I thought it would be pretty good.''

Since then, though, he has had Collingwood, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and North Melbourne visit him. Speaking to them, he started to imagine what it would be like to be at an AFL club next year, not having to wait until 2011, when the Gold Coast will play its first game. At 17, 2011 feels like ages away.

Troy spoke to his mum, who, when all this talk started, had no idea what to make of it. He found a manager, Justin Dover, from Stride's Perth office, who, as an independent voice, tried to present Troy with all the information he needed, and encourage him to make his own choice.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/taylor-the-prize-in-tugofwar/2009/10/03/1254418753752.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 11:44:58 PM »
Let's hope he's now got his act together for good.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd