Author Topic: Richmond Team vs Bumbers  (Read 6820 times)

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
Re: Richmond Team vs Bumbers
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2008, 09:15:27 AM »
We got the job done despite not playing well so that's all that matters. They still give us 4 points for the win.  I can't understand why anyone would knock back the chance to play finals because they're frightened we might get thrashed. In the unlikely event we were to make the finals it would give the cubs invaluable experience.
I don't know how many of us hope we don't make the finals, I'd say its very few.
I certainly think that we're dreaming of making the finals if we keep playing that way though.

yeah you hit the nail on the head infamy.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2008, 09:31:39 AM »
We got the job done despite not playing well so that's all that matters. They still give us 4 points for the win.  I can't understand why anyone would knock back the chance to play finals because they're frightened we might get thrashed. In the unlikely event we were to make the finals it would give the cubs invaluable experience.
I don't know how many of us hope we don't make the finals, I'd say its very few.
I certainly think that we're dreaming of making the finals if we keep playing that way though.

Does no one remember where we were last year?

LAST!

After finishing last just having a sniff of finals is a good result, the important thing is capitalising and getting better next year.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2008, 01:07:44 PM »
Sneaking into the top 8 would be against history.

Interesting point TA.  I posted to BF early in the season that since about 1990 (can't remember exactly but around then), at least 1 of the bottom 4 sides has made the 8 the following year, every single year except for 1995.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2008, 01:18:29 PM »

Interesting point TA.  I posted to BF early in the season that since about 1990 (can't remember exactly but around then), at least 1 of the bottom 4 sides has made the 8 the following year, every single year except for 1995.

No worries, but I'm talking about the 16th team.

Brisbane comes to mind of a team that went from 16th to the top 8 for some reason but no others come to mind.

It's a very rare occurrence.
EAT EM ALIVE!

jackstar

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2008, 06:46:58 PM »
your 100% correct MT. 4 out 5  :thumbsup
Fantastic wins against quality sides. :banghead
Melbourne, PORT, West Coast and the Bombers. ::)  ( all teams which are finals bound : :chuck :thatsgold
Mate, if and when we  happen to beat someone above us and a team that is a genuine top 4, then start thinking finals.
Struggled to beat Melb, Nearly through the game against Port, thrashed West Coast when they forgot to turn up in 2nd quarter :lol and struggled again against the Bombers.
I would love to know what some of you smoke around here, it must be good

But we have to start from the bottom and thats what we're doing.  We couldnt even beat bottom 8 teams last year.  Now we have accounted for them EVERY time.

That's very encouraging to continue the rise.  If anyone is going to be disappointed by this season after 16th last year that's pretty stupid.  It's a rarity a team goes from 16th to top 8.

A 9-11th finish would still show good improvement.  Sneaking into the top 8 would be against history.

A 9th-11th finish would be an improvement ::)  Havent we finished 9th 10 times in 20 years, :banghead

jackstar

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2008, 06:50:26 PM »

What about first pick in the draft ;)

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2008, 06:51:41 PM »
yeah but we drew to the dogs and should have won

won 3 out of 4 quarters v the cats and lost

took it right up to an in form hawks , hit the lead late and should have won

and should have beaten the saints at the dome where they never lose

our season has been far beyond expectations this yr and has been a success for us thus far.  we could easily win 4 more games this year, and with a bit of luck maybe 5 and make finals. and this has been done without a favourable draw

:gotigers

Good post Shannon, totally agree, dont know about the rest of the year but to date it has been a huge improvement :gotigers

Offline shannon

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
yeah but we drew to the dogs and should have won

won 3 out of 4 quarters v the cats and lost

took it right up to an in form hawks , hit the lead late and should have won

and should have beaten the saints at the dome where they never lose

our season has been far beyond expectations this yr and has been a success for us thus far.  we could easily win 4 more games this year, and with a bit of luck maybe 5 and make finals. and this has been done without a favourable draw

:gotigers

Good post Shannon, totally agree, dont know about the rest of the year but to date it has been a huge improvement :gotigers
thank you  2JD
DELEDIO FOR CAPTAIN ASAP!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2008, 07:26:44 PM »

No worries, but I'm talking about the 16th team.

Brisbane comes to mind of a team that went from 16th to the top 8 for some reason but no others come to mind.

It's a very rare occurrence.

Yeah, get that, I just thought it was an interesting stat.  And re: 16th place, only 2 teams in last 20 years have made the 8 from last - Melb to 4th in 98 and Bris to 4th in 99.  And re: Jack's post, we have finished 9th 5 times since 1995 but not once in the 40 years prior to that.  Go figure!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2008, 07:44:24 PM »

A 9th-11th finish would be an improvement ::)  Havent we finished 9th 10 times in 20 years, :banghead

To finish 9th-11th would be an improvement

Why? because we finished last in 2007 and won just 3 games + a draw.

This year we've won 7 games, that whether you want to admit it or mot = IMPROVEMENT

I am pretty sure "o great prophet" that your prediction was we would win the spoon again ..... I think it is fair to say that aint gonna happen in 2008 - FACT :thumbsup

:eyebrow

:jump
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2008, 07:48:40 PM »

This year we've won 7 games, that whether you want to admit it or mot = IMPROVEMENT

I am pretty sure "o great prophet" that your prediction was we would win the spoon again ..... I think it is fair to say that aint gonna happen in 2008 - FACT :thumbsup

WP is it an improvement? YES!!

is it acceptable, NO!!

only finals is acceptable in my eyes and ive had a gutful of these honourable 9th finishes.

6th time out of the last 13 years is not on.  imo it leaves us in no man's land
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

jackstar

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2008, 08:20:09 PM »
You see thats the problem with the RFC, MEDIOCRACY( dont know the correct spelling)   9th is acceptable to the RFC
In my world, if you can beat half the field home, its a failure.
Why is Bart Cummings , David Hayes etc so successful ?
They keep turning horses over and they dont hold on to the bad ones.
Helps if you know what your doing from day one and dont train DUDS, EG JON,Etc etc.
I have heard alot of lame excuses on this site, heaps.
But the problem is we accept 9th as a pass. WRONG :banghead

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2008, 08:28:57 PM »

is it acceptable, NO!!

only finals is acceptable in my eyes and ive had a gutful of these honourable 9th finishes.

Daniel, I wasn't talking about what people view as acceptable I was talking about improvement.

The way 2008 stands at the moment we have done that.

The majority on this board never expected finals in 2008, some said (& hoped for ;D) wooden spoon, others said bottom 4 with 4-6 wins.

Are you seriously suggesting you thought we'd make finals in 2008 - I don't think so.

We are coming from a long way back a bloody long way ... and we are improving.

Personally finals in 2008 for me was a pipe-dream, would be nice if it happened but when it was all said and done I just wanted us off the bottom, to see kids get games and see some sign of improvement. With 6 games to go I reckon we've done that

Looking to 2009 - I expect finals nothing more nothing less

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:02:19 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »

is it acceptable, NO!!

Yes,yes,......we've heard this all b4 and at times shared the sentiment.

Unfortunately Daniel,until such a time as next year,when we are either better or worse than now,
we wont be able to make a logical decision on what is acceptable.

Take 9th in 08 over 16th in 07 ? - surely ........

Next year will be the time to make this judgement.

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2008, 08:53:35 PM »
I would love us to make the finals, win one or two and then reappoint TW for another five years.

It would be worth just to see Jackstar's head explode.

:cheers