Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 166308 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Surely Halfstep will finaly get the arse if Martin bails...

he should and most of us can see it, but when you are lead by peggy sue and fail i would say an extension is more likely.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

he should and most of us can see it, but when you are lead by peggy sue and fail i would say an extension is more likely.

Martin will definitely bail if Hardwick gets the flick,

Rock and hard place applies here
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ch 7 news is claiming Dusty's manager Ralph Carr has spoken to two opposition clubs this weekend.

Dougeytherichmondfan

Very concerning.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Very concerning.

Should have added it's my opinion only

Just an opinion
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Looks like the groin is hampering him...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers are feeling the heat on Martin's future

Mick Stirling
sportingnews.com.au
19 June 2017

The powers that be at Richmond are starting to get nervous as Dustin Martin’s future remains in limbo.

Reports have emerged that Martin’s manager Ralph Carr talked to representatives from two other Victorian clubs last week, while it is also rumoured Brisbane coach Chris Fagan shared a coffee with the superstar Tiger recently.

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale suggested the club would like to settle matters sooner rather than later, but that wasn’t happening.

“We’d like to get a sense of where their (Martin and Carr’s) heads are at because we do have to plan (our) salary cap and other players,” Gale told ABC radio on the weekend.

“He’s a restricted free agent … so we’ve always got the right to match any offer … but I’m fairly confident it won’t come to that.”

Channel Seven football reporter Mark Stevens said Martin’s manager had been busy shopping his client around.

“I can confirm that Carr met with two clubs in the past two days,” Stevens said on Seven’s AFL Game Day.

“One on Friday and one on Saturday, so a lot of work going on behind the scenes with Dustin Martin, as you’d expect.”

Tiger fans may want to read the reports differently and think that Carr could be talking to clubs about one of his other clients, such as talented GWS defender Nick Haynes who may be interested in a return home to Victoria.

It doesn’t hurt to think positively.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/tigers-are-feeling-the-heat-on-martins-future-richmond-afl-dustin-dusty-contract-gale/1edd15dsoaofi14k5qa410rw96

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Michael McGuane @MickMCG34

Dustin Martin will stay @Richmond_FC super confident he won't be going anywhere.

10:22 PM - 19 Jun 2017

https://twitter.com/MickMCG34

-------------------------------------------------

Matthew Lloyd:
"If Martin wants to stay in Melbourne, there's not too many teams you would want to leave Richmond to go to"

https://twitter.com/SportsdayRadio

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
This should help get the ball rolling.

AFL set to announce new collective bargaining agreement with players ahead of Hall of Fame
AAP
June 19, 2017 11:35pm

THE AFL is set to announce its long-awaited collective bargaining agreement with the players before the annual Hall Of Fame ceremony.

The Herald Sun reported last month the league had reached a six-year deal with the AFLPA with an announcement expected ahead of the Tuesday night dinner in Adelaide.

The most striking feature of the new CBA should be a whopping 20 per cent increase this year, meaning major pay increases for some players.

It would also mean several clubs will have much more money in their war chests to pursue star players who are about to come out off contract.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-set-to-announce-new-collective-bargaining-agreement-with-players-ahead-of-hall-of-fame/news-story/7d18f080e1e209a87d9c1c707c2090fc

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
Has he signed on the dotted line yet.

The CBA all done, it was actually weeks ago  :shh.

Typically the gestapo where waiting for the perfect time to announce it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond would be silly not to match any free agency offer for Dustin Martin

Jon Ralph,
Herald Sun
21 June 2017

RICHMOND has already taken on free agency’s arcane loopholes and won by trading Brett Deledio at the top of his value.

Clubs reluctantly accepted the player body’s demand for more player movement but the smarter ones are prospering.

Now the Tigers can help their case with Dustin Martin by stating they will matching his restricted free agency no matter what cost.

To date no one has yet officially matched a free agency bid and yet the cannier clubs have played the market well.

Adelaide effectively did just that by forcing Geelong into a trade for Patrick Dangerfield with threat of matching and reaped picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore rather than a late first-round pick.

Richmond happily accepted the Giants’ first and third-round selections in 2017 when Deledio wanted out, aware he was a free agent this year anyway.

Just as Paul Roos had predicted after studying American free agency, clubs aware they could lose free agents would trade them 12 months before.

Just imagine what kind of free agency compensation they would have got this year for Deledio.

A banged up midfielder turning 31 in the first month of the season with a body that keeps breaking down.

So big tick for the Tigers.

Now the Martin situation confronts them, with no one really knowing exactly what he might do.

He has absolutely no reason to leave — he has a deal of over $1 million a year in front of him, his club is well placed for success, he is content at the club.

But pushing the message that under free agency rights they would match any bid might make their hand even stronger.

Brendon Gale has already inferred it, saying on Saturday: “He’s a restricted free agent. So we’ve always got the right to match any sort of offer. I guess we do have that in the background.”

Under free agency rights if a player’s restricted free agency bid is matched, they can either stay, nominate for the draft or the clubs can broker a trade.

If Martin departed the Tigers would receive a pick after their first round selection.

It is currently pick 13, so receiving pick 14 for Martin would follow a long line of clubs being shafted with inadequate compensation.

Pick 14 is the same number Adelaide refused to accept as compensation for Dangerfield.

If Martin had a bid from a club like North Melbourne or Essendon matched, there is some chance he would still stay at the Tigers.

Ryan O’Keefe and Bryce Gibbs before him looked to be traded then sucked it up and immediately put in excellent seasons when they remained.

The option of going into the draft wouldn’t appeal at all to Martin given Brisbane are expected to have the No.1 pick in the pre-season and national drafts.

So the only other option is those clubs being forced into trading for Martin.

Richmond could immediately ask for something like North Melbourne’s first pick (currently No.3) and Mason Wood, or Essendon’s first pick (11) and a marking forward.

All of those permutations are a long way down the track.

But at least it would plant the seed to Martin that departing would be far from swanning out the door to a new location.

Hawthorn couldn’t hope to match Lance Franklin’s Sydney offer given their tight salary cap.

But Richmond will have new CBA dollars and will no longer be paying $300,000 of Deledio’s wage to GWS.

It isn’t paying for departing players Chris Yarran or Tyrone Vickery and could match crazy money even if it only led to an immediate trade.

The worst outcome from matching is a superior trade to pick No.14 and the downside is basically nothing.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/jon-ralph/richmond-would-be-silly-not-to-match-any-free-agency-offer-for-dustin-martin/news-story/d7d27bb7db01fb3cfb796e970a564131

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick said Martin's ongoing contract situation was not an issue for the club, with the Richmond coach putting no pressure on his star midfielder to re-sign.

"We've sort of known all along that Dusty and his management are determined to make their decision in due course," Hardwick said.

"So it doesn't affect me one way or the other, all I do is prepare Dustin to play his best possible footy."

"I'm prepared to wait as long as it takes for Dusty to make his decision, that's his right as a player and I respect that." 

Source: The Age

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Where's he going to go?
Saints? Bigger basket case than us
Norf? Spare me
Freo? Yeah right
If he wants money/success, Richmond are the best combination right now and ironically would be one of the leading contenders if he was at another club right now
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
I still maintain it wouldn't be the worst thing if he left but we matched the offer and forced a trade. 
I would love to go into this years draft with 4 first round draft picks.  There are some good mid's in there. 

dwaino

Given the increase in the salary cap I can't see us doing anything other than matching any offer and forcing a trade. That rules several clubs out already. I'm not worried anyway. I'm pretty confident he'll re-sign and everyone else can say how over rated he is and that they never wanted him anyway.