Author Topic: Did Cotchin and Riewoldt make the right call to play on? [merged]  (Read 4598 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Absolutely agree.

The Hocking rule (stand) was designed to prevent us from defending space and locking the ball in. Forward pressure is now less of a concern.

We need blokes that win marking and loose ball contests, then kick goals. Cumberland kicks goals, therefore he should be playing.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I disagree. Pressure, tackling and defence will still be king when it matters most. No point kicking 100 points if you allow the opposition to kick 120. We found that out last year. H&A season we were AFL#1 for points scored but AFL#9 for points conceded. Then got bounced out of the elimination fin where I can’t remember the score exactly but I’m pretty sure we kicked over 100 but lions obviously kicked a few more.

Not saying the inclusion of Cumberland or Ryan or both into that forward line necessarily means our forward pressure turns to crap but it’s all about finding the right balance. Don’t think we’ll be anything but a middling side if we take a gung-ho offensive approach.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
Reckon we are missing the obvious here. Why is Cumberland the problem?  His defensive output far outweighs Martins and it really has been disingenuous by Hardwick in particular to suggest there was a problem with it. That is a lie.Just go look at his 8 games last year.

The problem is Dusty is a horrid pressure player but very damaging with the ball so we play very ordinary blokes like Mansell and Castagna to cover for him. 1 tackle and just the one 1% and he rarely chases the other way but thats okay its Dusty we will just drop a goal kicker and bring in a defensive plodder to cover for him.
Cumberland is not the problem imo. His defensive output at the level has been more than adequate the problem is the mids we play thru there.
Im asking what is so wrong with playing a goal kicking small the most prolific one we have who can also apply pressure which he does.

Get those lazy mids working defensively and we don't have to drop anyone.

Just a take on it and imo there is truth in it.

Other question is how many defensive fwds do we need MRJ is now a regular and his primary role it seems is to pressure.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kane Cornes put up this graphic on Footy Classified last night.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1642873310408060928

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Please we're three games in.

Jack doing OK in other metrics and Cotchin was great last year, had every reason to go one more.

They might have gone one too long but we had precious little other options and I don't expect them to play 18+ games each maybe 15ish.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT

Jack doing OK in other metrics and Cotchin was great last year, had every reason to go one more.

They might have gone one too long but we had precious little other options and I don't expect them to play 18+ games each maybe 15ish.
Understand Andy but they are not the future, they are clogging the list and need to stand aside to give our youngsters a go.
We need to trust our recruiters and not just search for wins.
If you want a different perspective ask yourself, what club would put Riewoldt or Cotchin on their list ??

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame

Understand Andy but they are not the future, they are clogging the list and need to stand aside to give our youngsters a go.
We need to trust our recruiters and not just search for wins.
If you want a different perspective ask yourself, what club would put Riewoldt or Cotchin on their list ??

That's why I think they should only be playing 15 games or so. Get some games into Bradtke, Miller, Ryan, Bauer, Sonsie, Dow and Clarke as well.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
At the end of the day no one is bigger then the club champions or not we need to start the transition now.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame

Yep you have to look for yourself when it comes to cornes.

three games in okay.
Career disposal average 22.91 this year 19.33
Career i50 average 3.73 this year  3.00
Career Clearance average 4.83 this year 4.00

Yes it looks down a bit BUT.

The one game he has had normal game time which equals opportunity he has the following

79% GAME TIME
Disposals 23
I50  5.o
Clearances 4.0
C/P 9

The obvious conclusion is when he has less game time he has less possesions oh boy what a revelation.
When he has what i will call his normal game time he is still where he has been for his career except Clearances and theres a reason for that its called Hopper and Taranto.

Why people continually buy into anything this nuff nuff says is bewildering.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
When it Comes to Riewoldt well my views are their for all to see.
Until there is a better option Jack is a needed player What i will argue and have argued about is not dropping Riewoldt but developing a third tall or fwd/ruck  while he is there. Most other clubs manage to do it why can't we?

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Until there is a better option Jack is a needed player What i will argue and have argued about is not dropping Riewoldt but developing a third tall or fwd/ruck  while he is there. Most other clubs manage to do it why can't we?

Samson Ryan has been int the team the last two weeks…

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame

Samson Ryan has been int the team the last two weeks…

As i said my views over a very long period are there for all to see.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
Jack and Cotch are in the team to mentor the younger blokes, of course they are not going to be ripping games apart any more, it’s time for others to step up and take the role
Funny the cowards in the media haven’t attacked other sides ageing players when they don’t fire, we are soft targets for some

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
Jack and Cotch are in the team to mentor the younger blokes, of course they are not going to be ripping games apart any more, it’s time for others to step up and take the role
Funny the cowards in the media haven’t attacked other sides ageing players when they don’t fire, we are soft targets for some

Gotta ask what younger blokes are they mentoring. If we did not have some injuries they would still be mentoring all their regular mates.

What big inside mid kids have we played what young key fwds have we played. FFS these two are now well into their 30's and we have not seen fit to play kids with them for years yet alone this year. In fact we have hardly seen fit to draft either type apart from the odd one  for years.

If we had we may not be in the situation we are now in.Forced to trade for Taranto and Hopper and in desperation Taking Bauer and Bradtke with nothing picks.

List management in this has been abysmal and as usual supporters just turn a blind eye.

They are both there to perform the roles they have always performed because they are quite easily still the best options in front of others.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
haven’t you ever been down to a  football club before  , they have a thing called training and they do it regularly. This is where kids can be mentored
The kids are getting a game through injury so what , that’s how it works in most clubs and is what I suggested some time ago, no surprises here, if you want to play too many kids at the same time before they develop without senior players to support them then you end down the bottom like Hawthorn. The kids can develop in the 2’s or when in the seniors when we don’t have a chance of making finals