Author Topic: Dusty's appeal succeeds - ban down to 1 week [updated]  (Read 14777 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dusty's appeal succeeds - ban down to 1 week [updated]
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2019, 09:13:14 PM »
Nankervis issued a rallying cry for his teammates to get around Brownlow Medallist Martin who has publicly apologised for his meltdown against Greater Western Sydney.

Martin had a two-game suspension for striking Giants’ opponent Adam Kennedy downgraded to one-match at the AFL tribunal on Tuesday night which means he will miss Saturday’s clash against Port Adelaide.

He was also fined $2500 by the AFL for directing abusive gestures towards GWS opponents, including raising his middle finger and simulating a drug-snorting gesture. A further $5000 suspended fine has been put in place by the AFL until the end of 2020, should Martin slip up again.

Martin posted on Twitter after the fine was handed down.

Nankervis said the midfield group also had a role to play in helping Martin through heavy tags in future.

“He probably has copped it for a few years, Dusty,” Nankervis said.

“He’s such a good player that most sides look to him. But it’s probably about us. We probably could have done more to help him as well. But we’ll move on from it and learn from it, both Dusty and us as a team.

“I think us as a whole midfield group haven’t been playing our best footy either. It’s not just Dusty, it’s us. But hopefully we can improve that.”

Nankervis said Martin had fronted up for training on Tuesday and performed well, seemingly unaffected by the scrutiny on him.

“He’s really unselfish in the way he goes about it,” Nankervis said.

“He hasn’t made it about him at all which is his character. It’s a credit to him.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/no-captain-obvious-for-tigers-as-richmond-ruckman-toby-nankervis-issues-rallying-cry-for-dustin-martin/news-story/0abc41945a176c0b7f802886be02760e

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘What a joke’: Dusty’s apology slammed (News)
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2019, 06:37:55 PM »
‘What a joke’: Dusty’s response slammed

News.com.au
11 April 2019

Dustin Martin has been slammed for his “wishy-washy” apology after the Richmond star used social media to say sorry for a sledge towards GWS ruckman Shane Mumford during the Tigers’ loss on the weekend.

Co-host of Fox Footy’s AFL 360 and chief football writer for the Herald Sun Mark Robinson lashed Martin for his lack of sincerity while acknowledging he was wrong for making references to Mumford’s drugs controversy.

Last year a video of Mumford snorting a white powder emerged and he was suspended for two weeks and fined $25,000 as he prepared to return to the AFL with the Giants in 2019.

A frustrated Martin flipped him the bird and made a snorting gesture with his finger and nose during the match in Sydney on Saturday, appearing to say: “Have another line you loser.”

Martin tweeted out an apology for his behaviour on Wednesday — the first tweet he’s sent since August 2018.

But Robinson wasn’t buying the remorse, blasting the 2017 Brownlow Medallist for taking so long to issue what he claimed was a “joke” of a response.

“How wishy-washy is that? What a joke. The whole thing’s been a joke,” Robinson said on AFL 360. “Twitter, I don’t know, how many people on Twitter in Australia follow footy? What a joke. What a joke.

“And he only did it because he was told. If he was going to apologise he would have apologised an hour after the game.

“If you’re going to apologise, Dusty, apologise after the game. Not some wishy-washy tweet on a Wednesday. What a joke.”

Robinson’s co-host Gerard Whateley was also sceptical of how genuine Martin’s apology was, adding: “He took to Twitter with, I’m not sure if I’d call that an apology or not, but whatever was required he obviously did.”

The AFL asked Martin for a “please explain” over the incident and he was fined $7500 — $5000 of which is suspended until 2020.

Robinson also took aim at the severity of the Richmond midfielder’s punishment, unable to comprehend such a heavy financial hit in comparison to Mumford’s $25,000 penalty for actually being filmed snorting the substance.

“Just a little bit out of whack, you think? Just a fraction out of whack?” Robinson said of Martin’s punishment in relation to Mumford’s. “One’s pretending, the other one’s real and gets two weeks and $25,000 and this one gets $7500. That is out of whack, Gerard. That is completely and utterly out of whack.”

Australian basketball legend and Richmond fan Shane Heal didn’t have a problem with Martin sticking his middle finger up at Mumford but understood it wasn’t a good look.

“I saw he gave the bird but it would be a bit hypocritcial of me to be criticial of that,” Heal told the At Odds program as he recounted an instance from his playing days where he did the same thing to opposition fans.

“That’s alright, obviously it’s not in the best interests of the AFL and his own brand as well.”

The sanctions for his gesture come after Martin was suspended for a week for his off-the-ball elbow that clanged into GWS star Adam Kennedy’s head. The outburst from the normally unflappable Martin came during a game in which he was checked closely by relentless GWS tagger Matt de Boer, having also been targeted the week before by Collingwood’s Levi Greenwood.

Martin will miss Saturday’s clash with Port Adelaide but is free to face Sydney the following week after successfully having his two-game ban for striking downgraded by the AFL tribunal.

While Martin didn’t give evidence, his lawyers successfully argued the incident deserved to be classified as low impact, rather than medium.

While Richmond has complained of a perceived lack of protection for Martin, the club is well aware its star midfielder also has a responsibility to manage his emotions.

“He’s just got to take a breath,” Tigers football boss Neil Balme told reporters. “He’s a very, very good player. He gets the treatment because that’s what he is.

“He’s just got to get past it and we’ve got to help him a bit with it.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/dustin-martin-slammed-for-joke-of-an-apology/news-story/e3f90e8be5fbbf7d58c24f5ea1f48a6e

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2019, 08:00:56 PM »
So Slobbo thinks pretending to do lines of coke is the same as actually doing it!
Get a grip you peanut.

The only people Dusty should apologise to is his teammates and the fans.

He didn’t have to apologise to Mumford. I’m sure they both gave as good as they got.

Slobbo is embarrassing and makes me sick.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2019, 09:32:44 PM »
So Slobbo thinks pretending to do lines of coke is the same as actually doing it!
Get a grip you peanut.

The only people Dusty should apologise to is his teammates and the fans.

He didn’t have to apologise to Mumford. I’m sure they both gave as good as they got.

Slobbo is embarrassing and makes me sick.

Believe he’s saying that Dusty’s fine is too high considering it’s over 25% of what Mumford got for actually doing a line when all he did was mimick it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2019, 12:06:22 PM »
From Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column...

IF ... Dusty wants to go round dishing out an elbow to an opponent 80 metres off the ball ...

THEN ... he deserves a three-week ban, not one.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-12/sliding-doors-round-four

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2019, 12:19:40 PM »
From Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column...

IF ... Dusty wants to go round dishing out an elbow to an opponent 80 metres off the ball ...

THEN ... he deserves a three-week ban, not one.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-12/sliding-doors-round-four

Fair bit of difference between ‘throwing an elbow’ and putting a forearm up to get an opponent out of the way. Love how it’s been widely reported as an elbow based on that pixelated crap they call video evidence. If they wanna see an elbow go back and look at concas on Smith.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2019, 12:22:47 PM »
IF.... Damien Barrett keeps writing poo articles

THEN ... I will want to punch him in the face 3 times, not once
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2019, 07:29:25 PM »
I see they are saying that Dangerfield is likely to come under scrutiny for a hit on guess who.....de Boer.

I haven't seen the footage, but this is going to be very interesting to see how it pans out.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2019, 07:31:28 PM »
I see they are saying that Dangerfield is likely to come under scrutiny for a hit on guess who.....de Boer.

I haven't seen the footage, but this is going to be very interesting to see how it pans out.
Not much in it at all IMHO.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2019, 07:34:03 PM »

Just seen the footage. Low impact, but intentional.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2019, 07:39:01 PM »
I hope Christian gives him 2 weeks based on “how it looked” and the “potential to cause serious injury”

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2019, 07:41:33 PM »

Just seen the footage. Low impact, but intentional.
The umpire saw it and didn't even pay a free kick.....

The blow to the body was the harder of the two and that may attract a fine.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2019, 10:13:50 PM »

talk me through the difference between that and dustys hit?

100% deserves a week, but wont get it because its geelong
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2019, 10:51:10 PM »

Dusty’s hit was high, low impact and intentional. One week. Can you spot the difference? Clue is the main hit wasn’t high....

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2019, 11:09:15 PM »

Dusty’s hit was high, low impact and intentional. One week. Can you spot the difference? Clue is the main hit wasn’t high....

sorry think you need to watch it again. Bloody oath it was high and it was off the ball.

They will argue intent, not if it was high as the back elbow hit him in the head. he will get off because its dangerfield and they can argue it was not intentional.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.