Author Topic: Dusty's appeal succeeds - ban down to 1 week [updated]  (Read 14618 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dusty cops 2 weeks plus a fine [updated]
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2019, 11:52:21 AM »
"He'll bounce back": Grigg trusts Martin to regain top form

Grigg knows Martin is struggling with the tag, but expects him to go and work on his game behind closed doors for the next two weeks.

“He is frustrated,” Grigg told The Oval Office.

“It’s not something new that he’s faced, he’s obviously a superstar and he’s been tagged for a couple of years and obviously played well.

“He’s just like a normal player, he wants to play better.

“Dustin had a bit of a down day on Saturday, so did our whole team.

“He works hard, he’ll work on his game in the next couple of weeks now that he’s out and he’ll bounce back.”

Carlton defender Dale Thomas also has faith in Martin to rebound from a bout of poor form, but believes his teammates need to help him out in doing so.

“The teammates have the greatest responsibility obviously,” Thomas said.

“If the umpires aren’t going to jump in and intervene if there’s untoward behaviour going on… I think as a teammate you have some sort of duty to try and help him out.

“In Dustin’s case, it’s probably give him the ball and let him do what he does best.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04/08/hell-bounce-back-grigg-trusts-martin-to-regain-top-form/

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2019, 02:23:31 PM »
People are saying it was Matt De Boer that he hit?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 02:51:08 PM by torch »

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2019, 02:32:21 PM »
Adam Kennedy?

Was there footage of that? I have only seen the Matt De Boer one?

Kennedy was the "elbow to the head" & 2 weeks

De Boer was a fine for a love tap

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2019, 02:53:17 PM »
Adam Kennedy?

Was there footage of that? I have only seen the Matt De Boer one?

Kennedy was the "elbow to the head" & 2 weeks

De Boer was a fine for a love tap

Thought so!

Some reports got it wrong with the player and looking at the footage it was Kennedy!

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2019, 03:00:30 PM »
Must say our players been weak of late no support or protection for Dusty at all.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2019, 03:11:45 PM »
Thst's a sure sign of everyone worrying too much about themselves and their own game.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2019, 04:54:02 PM »
Tribunal coverage is here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-09/live-from-430pm-aest-dustin-martin-at-the-tribunal

Martin will be represented by father-son duo Michael Tovey QC and Sam Tovey, while Jeff Gleeson will act as the AFL's legal counsel.

The Tribunal will be made up of David Jones (chairman), David Neitz, Shane Wakelin and Paul Williams.

We're expecting Martin to attempt to have the impact grading of his charge reduced from medium to low, which will see his ban downgraded from two matches to one game.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2019, 06:01:09 PM »
The Tribunal hearing is underway, with Martin accompanied by Richmond footy boss Neil Balme.

As predicted, Martin will be attempting to argue that the impact grading should be low and not medium. That means he will be attempting to reduce his ban from two matches to one game.

Greater Western Sydney's medical report says Kennedy required no treatment, with no ongoing treatment required.

Umpire Nathan Williamson, who made the report during the game, is on the phone.

Williamson, who believes he was 25-30m from Martin, says he saw the Richmond player raise his arm and hit Kennedy with his arm.

Williamson says he believes the strike was forceful enough to constitute a report, labelling the level of the force as 'medium'.

Kennedy told Williamson that he was fine and told the umpire that he didn't believe the strike was malicious.

Adam Kennedy is now being called to provide evidence.

There was much conjecture over whether Kennedy should be allowed to be called. The AFL's legal counsel, Jeff Gleeson QC, argued he shouldn't on the grounds that the impact grading was raised from low to medium due to the potential to cause serious injury. Gleeson argued Kennedy could not provide evidence on that, but was overruled.

Kennedy says he tried to get in Martin's way to be "a nuisance". He says the initial contact came to the middle of his shoulder.

Kennedy says he didn't feel any pain as a result of the strike.

Kennedy says he wasn't expecting contact to his head and was in "a bit of shock" as a result of the strike. He says "it was a good knock".

In summary, Gleeson tells the Tribunal strong consideration must be given to the potential to cause injury.

Gleeson is pointing to the clauses in the AFL's guidelines that say strikes such as these will "not usually" be graded low impact, due to their potential to cause serious injury.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-09/live-from-430pm-aest-dustin-martin-at-the-tribunal

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2019, 06:18:19 PM »
Tovey describes Martin's actions as a "get out of my way" motion.

Ch 7 saying the tribunal are deliberating. A decision in about 20 mins.

Dusty didn't give evidence. He sat at the back of the room.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2019, 06:23:01 PM »
Adam Kennedy says he saw Martin coming and braced for impact.

"I sort of just moved backwards a little bit. Just to get in his path a little bit – something we’re told to help our teammates … I stepped back in his path to be a little bit of a nuisance," he says.

"Yep (I ended up in his path).

"Yep (I saw him coming towards me).

"Yep (I was expecting impact).

"Yep (there was impact)."

He confirmed that the initial impact was on his shoulder, “pretty much right in the middle of the shoulder … just like that shoulder muscle, right in the middle of that”.

“The part that’s vertical … yeah”.

"Yes (I was looking at him). Yeah pretty much when I stepped back, I knew I was getting in his way, so I was expecting contact so I was ready to be bumped."

He said "everyone was getting worked up" and that he "told everyone to chill out a little bit" and played out the game, and despite the blow glancing upwards to "the side of my head … ear level", he had no pain or further issues.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-for-tuesday-april-9-2019/live-coverage/711ae50496a6bb19a9253518e1bf8416

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2019, 06:23:23 PM »
We’re into closing statements.

The AFL’s counsel, Jeff Gleeson, says the tribunal guidelines determine that the panel must give strong consideration to the potential to cause serious injury, as is required with high strikes with “swinging clenched fists, raised forearm or elbow”.

He says they’re normally characterized as medium, and that the panel must consider what about this one is different.

“The answer … is nothing,” he said.

“On any view, it was at a location on the shoulder that could – and we know did – result in a blow to the head.

“Does that take it out of the usual case? In my submission, it doesn’t.

“This was a strike that was landed by a player who was running, who raised his arm and who threw his elbow. It wasn’t a static position … a brace. He threw his elbow. It’s not static. And when you’re running … and you throw an elbow at or close to the head, you are squarely in the ‘usual’ scenario. That is, you have the potential to cause serious injury.

“There was the potential for concussion. There was potential for damage to the jaw. There was potential for damage to the temple. There was potential for damage to the cheekbone.”

He also argues that despite Kennedy's assertion, he was stepping into Martin's path but was trying to impede the run – maybe not expecting a bump and definitely not an elbow.

The AFL says there are two parts of Kennedy's evidence that were telling – that he said "he went to elbow me and it slipped up", suggesting Martin went in with the elbow.

He was also asked whether the force was enough to knock him sideways.

"Yeah," Kennedy said.

"It was a good knock."

Ben Broad

They're now citing the example of an intentional, low impact, high hit – Mitch Robinson on Seb Ross.

It doesn't look like we'll be hearing from Dusty…

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-for-tuesday-april-9-2019/live-coverage/711ae50496a6bb19a9253518e1bf8416

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2019, 06:23:48 PM »
Richmond is giving its closing statement.

"It is a horizontal lifting of the forearm, not siding with the elbow which immediately alerts you to the possibility to serious injury occurring," Tovey says.

"This was a thrusting, prodding motion with the forearm. It was a ‘get out of my way’ motion."

The Tigers also say impact was anticipated and that Kennedy "deliberately got in Martin's way".

"It wasn't a direct hit," he says.

"This was not a case of players hurtling towards each other at speed," he says.

"There's very little velocity. It wasn’t as if Martin was running at Kennedy. He was basically trotting past and appears that he was about to head off the field."

He has also referenced Kennedy's comment that there had been no malice.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Dusty's appeal succeeds - ban down to 1 week [updated]
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2019, 06:39:36 PM »
Down to one......:clapping

Edit: Updated thread title. OE.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 06:44:58 PM by one-eyed »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dusty's appeal succeeds - ban down to 1 week [updated]
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2019, 06:40:28 PM »
Down to one......:clapping

stuff yeah. Stick that up your arse Christian you incompetent piece of poo

Edit: Updated thread title. OE.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 06:45:44 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dusty's appeal succeeds - ban down to 1 week [updated]
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2019, 06:42:49 PM »
Jury deliberated for 15 mins.

Dustin Martin successful in having the level of impact downgraded to low. His ban has been reduced to one match.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-09/live-from-430pm-aest-dustin-martin-at-the-tribunal