Author Topic: will we finish higher then the dee's  (Read 10649 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: will we finish higher then the dee's
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2010, 08:20:20 PM »
whats the point in getting a high draft pick, we usually bugger the selection up anyway ::)

so u want to give away the pick do u??

we should be lobbying the commission behind the scenes for a special compensatory pick to add to pick 4 as well as asking to be allowed to sign 2 uncontracted players. 99% chance itll get rejected but theres no harm in asking.

or we should have drafted Higgins or Hurn or Grimes instead of JON McMahon etc.

thats also correct but whats happened has happened. Benny Gale should be working behind the scenes to get the commission to give us some assistance.

Totally agree, we will need compensation at the end of the year, it's just not fair honestly that we should suffer because of the new teams coming in.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2010, 08:26:21 PM »
whats the point in getting a high draft pick, we usually bugger the selection up anyway ::)

we should be lobbying the commission behind the scenes for a special compensatory pick to add to pick 4 as well as asking to be allowed to sign 2 uncontracted players. 99% chance itll get rejected but theres no harm in asking.

[/quot

thats also correct but whats happened has happened. Benny Gale should be working behind the scenes to get the commission to give us some assistance.

Totally agree, we will need compensation at the end of the year, it's just not fair honestly that we should suffer because of the new teams coming in.

we wonte get any compensation from the afl.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2010, 09:36:16 PM »

We're not suffering because of the new teams coming in, we're suffering because of our own ineptitude over so many years.  Up to us to fix, not the AFL.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2010, 09:41:42 PM »

We're not suffering because of the new teams coming in, we're suffering because of our own ineptitude over so many years.  Up to us to fix, not the AFL.

Yes we are smokey, but on the other hand the Blues and Dees bottomed out in successive years and they were compensated for it, we will not have that same compensation. Regardless of previous recruiting mistakes we should be compensated the same as the Dees and Blues were. So IMO the AFL do need to fix it, then it is up to us NOT to make the same mistakes as we did in the past.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2010, 09:51:24 PM »

Yes we are smokey, but on the other hand the Blues and Dees bottomed out in successive years and they were compensated for it, we will not have that same compensation. Regardless of previous recruiting mistakes we should be compensated the same as the Dees and Blues were. So IMO the AFL do need to fix it, then it is up to us NOT to make the same mistakes as we did in the past.

They were compensated because they failed to win 5 games in a season - we did, so not the AFL's fault or problem.  Let's fix it ourselves and control our own destiny - if we take the route of complaining and asking for assistance then we have already admitted we aren't up for the battle.  And if we aren't up for the battle off the field, then we most certainly aren't up for it on the field.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2010, 09:55:03 PM »

Fair call WAT, however all Clubs have known for 2 years now what has been on offer with these new teams coming in, so I tend to take the view that we got into this mess we have to get ourselves out of it. Further to that all Clubs initially agreed to what the AFL put on the table; so I don't think anyone can expect it to be changed now

And I reckon so far this year Nason has shown; as has Barlow for Freo that the talent is there deep in the draft you just have to find it

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2010, 09:57:31 PM »

They were compensated because they failed to win 5 games in a season - we did, so not the AFL's fault or problem.  Let's fix it ourselves and control our own destiny - if we take the route of complaining and asking for assistance then we have already admitted we aren't up for the battle.  And if we aren't up for the battle off the field, then we most certainly aren't up for it on the field.

To finish last on the ladder (if we do this year) and only recieve pick 4......... fair, I think not. The AFL need to consider this IMO and they haven't, they have only considered the new teams coming in and it's not good enough. We can't control our destiny when it is being controled for us by the AFL. How can we fight the battle of field when we battle is one sided to begin with. Without the battle being evened up we won't be up for it on field because we won't have the army.

"Rucks:

jackstar is back again

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2010, 10:00:31 PM »
Podsiadly

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2010, 10:05:24 PM »

Fair call WAT, however all Clubs have known for 2 years now what has been on offer with these new teams coming in, so I tend to take the view that we got into this mess we have to get ourselves out of it. Further to that all Clubs initially agreed to what the AFL put on the table; so I don't think anyone can expect it to be changed now

And I reckon so far this year Nason has shown; as has Barlow for Freo that the talent is there deep in the draft you just have to find it

Yeah true WP, it's a shame we didn't have a crystal ball when the clubs agreed to the picks the new teams were going to have. If they knew we would be 0-4 I am sure they would not have been so hasty to agree.

Lets just hope we can pull a few Smokey's out late in the Draft then.

On Podsaidly, IMO he has been ok but would we bother with a player of that age in the next draft, I doubt it.

"Rucks:

jackstar is back again

« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2010, 10:08:24 PM »
Mature Rookie, thats why

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2010, 10:26:14 PM »
Mature Rookie, thats why

I thought you wanted youth, why wouldn't we rookie youth??

"Rucks:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2010, 10:33:02 PM »

Yeah true WP, it's a shame we didn't have a crystal ball when the clubs agreed to the picks the new teams were going to have. If they knew we would be 0-4 I am sure they would not have been so hasty to agree.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the clubs had any say in it.  The AFL Commission run the game and make the rules and I think it was them who came up with the GC/GWS situation.  Not that it would matter- we would have been a lone voice of dissent anyway.  You go cap in hand and you hand over control - if there's one thing we can't afford to do, that's hand over control to anyone.  We must control our own destiny to maintain our identity and ensure our longevity - it can't happen any other way.  And when we next hold that cup on high, I don't want any squeeze-bag whingeing low life from the media or any other club taking the gloss of our premiership by saying we got a hand up.  We all puff up and beat our chests talking about true tiger spirit - well now is the very time when true tiger spirit will shine through - and those without it will stand out like the proverbial sore thumb.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2010, 10:58:39 PM »
Go cap in hand begging for charity and the AFL are likely to suggest you move to Tassie and they'll give all the help you need.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2010, 11:02:12 AM »

You cannot get extra picks because your club is rubbish.

We fcked up twice by allowing Melbourne and Carlton to have picks ahead of us in the Kruzer / Scully drafts.

We (Wallace / Miller) fcked up by trying to play finals in 05-07/08 instead of tanking and rebuilding and we lost many years of draft talent they is going to hurt us for the next 10+ years.

Melbourne now have:
 - Trengrove, Scully, Morton, Tapscott, Grimes, Wonaeamirri, Jones,  Petterd
 - Watts, Jurrah, Gawn, Frawley

etc. and appear to have a better list for the next decade than Richmond.

:'(

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2010, 11:03:50 AM »

Richmond have had since the end of 2003 to rebuild.

7 years.

That is enough time. we should have used the system the same way other teams did.

fair or otherwise.