Author Topic: The Fighting Tiger Fund - "Giving 110%" [merged]  (Read 65883 times)

10 FLAGS

Re: The Fighting Tiger Fund
« Reply #345 on: March 18, 2011, 06:34:35 AM »
If the club has only reached 2.3 million in the fighting fund and the supporters had already raised $200k, the board $200k, and the players $125k, that means that only $1.775 million was raised last night from the supposed luminaries, the rich and others. PS - Just reported on SEN only $1.5 million raised last night.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #346 on: March 18, 2011, 07:08:36 AM »
Firstly they did a mock commentary of the 2014 Grand Final done by BT (and someone else I don't remember). Obviously it was meant to get the emotions stirring, but they did it with the players in the room and it felt a bit weird to me. If they were going to do it they should have done it without the players there. For the record they had Astbury taking a mark on the siren from Griffiths' kick and kicking the goal to win the flag. If it comes true, ask whoever wrote the script for the following week's tattslotto numbers.

I actually really enjoyed the mock commentary (they other caller was Tim Lane BTW with Rob Walls & Tony Shaw doing special comments). It was fun and it only put out there what we all dream will one day happen. Jack Riewoldt 108 goals for the season and Griffiths 56, plus my personal favourite "the veteran" Deledio  ;D The players were standing close to our table and they enjoyed it too. I have no problem with it - I suppose it is about perception  ;D

Next was the donations process on the night. Having everyone stand up to show how much they were donating I thought wasn't great. Pretty much half the room sat down after the first round at $3k and almost everyone else after the $5k mark. This kinda reinforces my belief that they should have been offering more incentives for people to donate at certain increments. Those that donate $19k get the same as someone who donated $5k. The reason I didn't like this bidding process is two fold. Those bowing out early look bad and those still standing at the end are posing a bit. I have much more respect that donate large sums without needing to stand up in front of the crowd for acknowledgement. Perhaps this was done to try and pressure people into donating more, but I wonder if it had the opposite effect. There was also a bit of confusion on the bidding process in regards to whether it was on top of your existing donation (if you had one) or including it... I included it.

Standing up was voluntary or you could have sat down through the whole "bidding" thing so. I don't agree with those bowing out "early looking bad" I wasn't really paying much attention to be honest to who sat down when   ;D and I reckon it was always going to be a case of more lower value donations than big ones.

I do agree there should have been more incentives. I mean $3k for a lapel pin. Personally I would guaranteed everyone in the room a copy of the photo that was taken with the players before we went upstairs. That would have been a massive flillip I think anyway  

Also other than the existing incentives for donation levels, there was nothing on the night to try and get people to part with their money except for the old TAC jumper signed by 25 of the Richmond great and this went for $7000. I would have thought on a night which is trying to generate money that there would be a lot more things to try and generate donations than just this one big bidding process thorugh a keypad. Sure selling the future of the club is one thing, but I think more should have been done to try and give people more of a reason to part with their money. Something could have come up that people wanted more than the incentives that you already know you get for your donation.

They had 2 silent auction items down the back of the room. One was a round of golf with Richo & Jack and the other was a trip to a winery in SA all expenses paid. However, both had huge reserves on them and when I looked there wasn't one bid for wither. I was genuinely surprised there wasn't more on offer. COuld have generated some easy $$$ with a few more silent auction items with low reserves (day in the coaches box anyone)

I still think the club should be doing more to try and encourage more donations of the $500-3000 range. The handful of big donations are great, but it only would take 1500 donations of $2000 to wipe out the remaining $3 million.

Agree

Oh and one last point, other than the players I felt like I was by far the youngest in the room. Very old crowd there, but I guess that is to be expected.

Steady on I thought I was one of the youngest in the room. Actually I didn't think the crowd was that old; what I was surprised about was there wasn't many ladies there last night.... Seems the blokes left the partners at home at a 2 x $3k I am not surprised   ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #347 on: March 18, 2011, 07:17:04 AM »
If the club has only reached 2.3 million in the fighting fund and the supporters had already raised $200k, the board $200k, and the players $125k, that means that only $1.775 million was raised last night from the supposed luminaries, the rich and others. PS - Just reported on SEN only $1.5 million raised last night.
only a tiger could put down 1.775 million minimum of free $$. ::)  :wallywink
EAT EM ALIVE!

10 FLAGS

« Reply #348 on: March 18, 2011, 07:26:32 AM »
only a tiger could put down 1.775 million minimum of free $$. ::)  :wallywink

I wasn't putting anyone or anything down, having this money is better than not having it and its a good start but the club would have been hoping for double the amount raised, even though they will deny it- as they should!

PS - Im more concerned with the reported $850k from Chrysler/Jeep. Theres no way we can compete with other big clubs if we're so far behind in terms of the cash we get from our major sponsors.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #349 on: March 18, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
only a tiger could put down 1.775 million minimum of free $$. ::)  :wallywink

I wasn't putting anyone or anything down, having this money is better than not having it and its a good start but the club would have been hoping for double the amount raised, even though they will deny it- as they should!

PS - Im more concerned with the reported $850k from Chrysler/Jeep. Theres no way we can compete with other big clubs if we're so far behind in terms of the cash we get from our major sponsors.
Just remember the article said understood so who knows what tom, Dick and harry made the figure and what clauses are in the contract for extra payments.

You and I have no idea about their expectations so I can't see why we are guessing.
EAT EM ALIVE!

FNM

« Reply #350 on: March 18, 2011, 08:25:26 AM »
Given the Queensland & Vic floods, Christchurch earthquake & Japan earthquake all looking for donations, I think it makes this contribution even more impressive. These are things the club couldn't control.
Precisely, great effort  :thumbsup

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #351 on: March 18, 2011, 09:07:45 AM »
this isnt a one off, this is a year long strategy.
just cant seem to please some. :sleep

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #352 on: March 18, 2011, 09:14:02 AM »
Can I just add I thought it was great night and a great result and with another 11 months to run I reckon they will get the $6mil  :thumbsup

:gotigers

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #353 on: March 18, 2011, 09:20:18 AM »
Oh and one last point, other than the players I felt like I was by far the youngest in the room. Very old crowd there, but I guess that is to be expected.
Steady on I thought I was one of the youngest in the room. Actually I didn't think the crowd was that old; what I was surprised about was there wasn't many ladies there last night.... Seems the blokes left the partners at home at a 2 x $3k I am not surprised   ;D
Yes it was very male dominated. I'm 32 and while I didn't walk around the room it appeared that all were 40+

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #354 on: March 18, 2011, 09:25:13 AM »
Yes it was very male dominated. I'm 32 and while I didn't walk around the room it appeared that all were 40+

40+ aint old  ;D

Trust me  :thumbsup

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #355 on: March 18, 2011, 09:28:02 AM »

40+ aint old  ;D

I realise that, but it appeared other than myself that that was about the youngest age in the room. Definitely more in the 55+ bracket.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #356 on: March 18, 2011, 09:36:36 AM »
this isnt a one off, this is a year long strategy.
just cant seem to please some. :sleep

Spot on. Took the demons 2 years to knock off their 5 mil!
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #357 on: March 18, 2011, 09:40:32 AM »

40+ aint old  ;D

I realise that, but it appeared other than myself that that was about the youngest age in the room. Definitely more in the 55+ bracket.
Yes well you would think those with more senior positions with thoae dollars to spare would be 40+. 
EAT EM ALIVE!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #358 on: March 18, 2011, 09:41:03 AM »
Ramps i think we done well considering where we are as a club, and world events.

A win in Rd 1 and IMO the money will come. i will donate another few hundred if we top the Blues and thats just me. Im sure there are a hell of a lot of people waiting to see if we can show something this year before digging into our pockets.

Gale should be commended for what he has one so far. I always said  recruit him and we well on our way.

I think Gale's vision for our club is better than anyone we have had at the club before

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #359 on: March 18, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
only a tiger could put down 1.775 million minimum of free $$. ::)  :wallywink

absolutely spot on.

The club has raised $2.5 million it never had last night, yet some arent happy.

It was an amazing effort and an amazing night.

KB's speech was the the most inspirational one I have heard since Martin Luther Kings "I have a dream"

spine tingling stuff